• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you have provinces that are of your culture and religion then the stability cost for those are much less, so in turn gaining stability is much quicker for your country. Also culture and religion in provinces that do not match your own country will have an increase of revolt risk. It is actually quite important.

Thank you both!
I forgot to mention that I have read the Wiki for Culture and Religion, but did not pay too much attention to these aspects in my games so far, because I did not understood them properly, I suppose. I think that every detail counts when you want to improve yourself, so that's why I decided to ask you all about this.
How do you manage these situations? Do you convert ALL the provinces to your religion? How about the culture?

Cultural conversion is possible through the "settlement policy" provincial decision, but it's too slow to be efficient for an expanding nation. For culture, it's better to try to get the culture as "accepted", for that you need these provinces to provide 20% of your cored tax income. If you expand everywhere or colonize wildly it's hard to get to 20% though so you just have to live with those minority cultures, which will rebel now and then.

Religious conversion is a must if you have a lot of heretic or heathen provinces, especially rich ones since -30% on tax is significant. And it helps with revolt risk... so usually I try to convert as much as I can, starting with the richest provinces.

But there are smal useless cultures all over the place, like Albanien. THOSE you shoud tacked for your own culture.. Keep the big cultures.. Some are quite big, like Barbar or tyrkish/greek.

You mean that I should convert the minor ones to my culture?

You mean that I should convert the minor ones to my culture?

yes only, UNLESS its a union of cultures, like France or germany is.. the reason why noth afrika is so GREAT is that its mostly all the same culturegrup.. might be all wrong religion and so on, but that is easy and right to change back

Is the 30% tax penalty applied, for example, on Burgandian provinces, if I'm cosmopolitaine? They're both within the French group

The penelty is ALL non own Primary OR accepted Cultures..
Peaple in your culture grup will get a -10% only.. Say If denmark owns Sweden before denmark gets Accepted swedish culture

If Denmark form the Calmar union(scandinavia) then they all primary cultures.. and all give 100%..

So if you kill are France and take Burgandian provinses, thats a GOOD deal yes :) FULL tax.. If however your Burgandy, you will get FULL tax on cosmopolit.. becourse they are accept culture..

You can accept whatever culture it might be, as long as it 20% of your total income.. you will however lose all respekt for those peaple if they become less then 2%(-30% tax once more, and non accepted)

OK, so, to summarize (correct me if I am wrong or if I forgot something important):

- I have to convert everything to my religion, as soon and as much as possible
- I should try to have as many cultures as accepted, and the ones I can't to try to change them via "Enact Settlement Policy"

Another related question: what religion is best? Let's take the case of a Catholic country, like Portugal; how should i handle it starting with 1399 campaign? Should I change religion or not?

"Enact settlement policy " in small culture groups is not worthy in my opinion, since it's slow, it costs colonists, gives infamy and requires you to move your national focus to the area. Better use can be made of these assets. I would only do it in high tax provinces; where removing the -30% to tax is really worth it.

"Best religion" depends of your strategy, since each religion gives different bonus/malus. A catholic Portugal should stay catholic in a classic expanding / colonizing game. Since Portugal is an early colonizer, there's a good chance you'll already have quite a few colonies when the reformation happens, which means you'll have a lot of converting to do. Plus catholic gives you 1 colonist / year versus 0.5 for protestant (but also 1.0 for Calvinist).
See the wiki for more details on each religion.
The basic idea is that it's costful to convert, so you should only do it if the benefits are great, or for roleplaying reasons... and it's better to do it when you're small.

Hehehe - if all the subjects of a souvereign automatically changed confession with him, there would have been a little less conflict during the timeframe, i suppose (or more... who knows - anyways: it aint so).

I have not found these tax penalties when I look at the breakdown numbers of my taxes (but maybe I am not looking in the right place).

Or is it only for the major religion (Christian vs. Islam) and not for Protestant vs. Catholic?
The religion tax penalty is based on your tolerance for the province religion; if tolerance is non-negative there is no penalty.

If I decide to change religion to Protestantism, as a Catholic Portugal, with already many colonies and some other conquered territories, what will exactly happen? All the territories will convert to this new religion, or only my capital will?

Not sure if any of you answered to this, but I did not see any answer. :unsure: I suppose it's a silly question, but I did not try it exactly because I was not sure what it will happen.