• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Il Moro

Major
54 Badges
Jun 26, 2002
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Pride of Nations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
I begin to be a "bit", not totally, just a "bit" disappointed about this problem... When should be supposed to be fixed this first priority bug?

Upvote 0
Oh and Archlight, I was just making a point. I dont really expect, or even want, to paradox to return my money. I want the game to work. Is that too much to ask? Because, by reading most posts on the subject, yes, that seems too much to ask.

Myeah... it isn't too much to ask, but sometimes you have to meet someone halfway. From the developers viewpoint they could just as easily say "We need a little more time. Is that too much to ask?".

It's a conflict revolving around money: You payed for it, so it has to work. Problem is that that doesn't always work out as expected, especially in software development. Some people are willing to put up with the hassle as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel, others are not. As always, people with different viewpoints tend to clash. [shrug]

* and I have to say, starting a new thread for a complaint over on SubSim seems a bit much. We had a discussion going already. :huh:

Yep, Arch, I see your point, but you see, all the sudden a class of "defenders" of the game "as-it-is" has risen up. I am amazed to see the imense lengths some people have taken to defend this game "against" the just and fair complaints of people who simply cannot play it and are, as yet, lacking an answer further than "it is you who is the problem", as many people are posting.

If this is a arm wrestle, then I should say that posting on subsim (or other forums, for that matter) is rather an insuficient response, as the issue - more than the bug itself - is the combat that has been imposed on custumers who have bought a game, and are finding this forum too biased towards defending the game no matter what. I hardly think that there is a thread on subsim dealing with that specific problem, which is the whole reason I am posting this, and it is a matter not to be taken lightly: being bombarded by game 'supporters' when reporting a common bug.

Daniel Prates I absolutely agree with all your posts!
I've been buying computer games since 1985.
was once a time if your brought a pc game and it didn't work on your machine it was a case of returning to the shop and getting a refund.
no problem,that was the case for many years, but now it appears this is not the case anymore.
specially if you buy your games from the internet.you have little chance of a refund.
Here in Australia i try and buy my games from EB Games because 9 out 10 times they will exchange my faulty game or give me a refund.
What really frustrates me when i buy a game is 1. It does not work! 2. Features claimed in the game do not work! 3. has heaps of bugs....
this now seems to be the norm.
This has forced me now not to buy games over the internet, only if a demo is out. and that the game has been updated with the patches!!!!!!!
then and only then i will buy over the internet!
Never will i buy a game just in face value anymore.
In the case of Navel war i did try the demo, and it did freeze,
so im not going to buys this game until all 3 points as stated in my post are done!!
my rant is over now thanks for reading it!

Oh and should you guys be interested, I just posted this previous post in "RADIO ROOM", the single best naval games forum in the internet, with the following commentary:

"So far, I am still one of the many users "awarded" with a bug in which the game's units simply freeze (but not the game itseelf). The developers seems to have no clue as to why this happens. All guys who have reported this flaw have acceptable hardware platforms.

Many people complain about that in paradox's specific forum, but our voices are being muffled by an atmosphere of sheer praise and compliments. A too-good-to-be-true cheer, by the way, as the game is plagued with many shortcomings, both in performance (no savegame button in single missons, for instance!) and in realism (aircraft being able to launch withins seconds even if you order their ordnance changed, for instance). I'm not saying that these praises are lies; maybe people just dont know better. Anyway, it is obvious that this "hurray!" climate is bringing down the effort from a part of the comunity (victims of this game's too early, untested release) to point out that main flaws are a fact and no solution is within sight - worse than that, the happiness of a majority of users (could be merely 50% + 1, i dont really know) appears to be posing the complaining ones as: a) an irrelevant group, considering that "so many people" are happy with the game; b) basicly, moaners that have nothing better to do than to disagree with the pre-concept that the devs are the best guys in the world, and thanks god for them."

Your voice hasn't been muffled. I think some of you are unrealistic towards an indie team of developers. It's like early Minecraft all over again: "I spent $11 and I deserve the world right now!" *DDoS's Notch and his Minecraft site*
Just get some perspective and give them time. Enjoy life in the meantime. Waiting sucks I know :)

Possible cause of the freeze issue

Hi guys,
See if what I have figured out can help you in any way.
It looks as if the freeze under Win XP is caused by the game trying to get the internet connection even when in single player mode.
I've experimented with two different PCs (different hardware, but similar XP setup & drivers, one with and one without network card / internet access) and found out that the freeze is in no way attributed to Win XP itself, Direct X, drivers, AV etc. Even the hardware productivity is not an issue as long as you use low quality video settings: I've played the game on P4 (2,40 GHz) / RAM 1,50GB DDR @ 134MHz / NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (128MB) - imagine that :).
On PC without network / intenet the game got frozen roughly 3-5 min after start of the mission. Even though both the map & video got stuck it seemed that the action was still going on with the sound and events (notifications) coming up.
On another PC with network / internet (though it was an old machine - see the config earlier) the game was running OK, even though the video was not on for obvious reasons. That was until I turned off modem / intenet access. Shortly after that the game got frozen. But as soon as the intenet connection was restored, the game was running again with no issue.
In summary - it would be great if developers either indicated that internet is a mandatory requirement or (better) arranged for a single play mode on machines which do not have web access capabilities.
In any way - the game is great fun. So, thank you guys and good luck.

In summary - it would be great if developers either indicated that internet is a mandatory requirement or (better) arranged for a single play mode on machines which do not have web access capabilities.

in a different thread, we managed to run with no network or internet acess (win 7 btw)

Hi guys,
See if what I have figured out can help you in any way.
It looks as if the freeze under Win XP is caused by the game trying to get the internet connection even when in single player mode.
I've experimented with two different PCs (different hardware, but similar XP setup & drivers, one with and one without network card / internet access) and found out that the freeze is in no way attributed to Win XP itself, Direct X, drivers, AV etc. Even the hardware productivity is not an issue as long as you use low quality video settings: I've played the game on P4 (2,40 GHz) / RAM 1,50GB DDR @ 134MHz / NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (128MB) - imagine that :).
On PC without network / intenet the game got frozen roughly 3-5 min after start of the mission. Even though both the map & video got stuck it seemed that the action was still going on with the sound and events (notifications) coming up.
On another PC with network / internet (though it was an old machine - see the config earlier) the game was running OK, even though the video was not on for obvious reasons. That was until I turned off modem / intenet access. Shortly after that the game got frozen. But as soon as the intenet connection was restored, the game was running again with no issue.

But to play the game and the demo you must have Steam and Steam need an active internet connection to properly work.

not neccessarily

Sverch said that in his experiment the game don't freeze when the internet connection is active, but that's nothing new, as Steam require an active internet connection to work and launch the game.

His experiment isn't useful in solving the problem, cause I have a 24h/24h internet connection and I have the freeze problem, I bet that the others with freeze issues have an active internet connection too.

So the problem isn't in the internet connection, is something else.

Your voice hasn't been muffled. I think some of you are unrealistic towards an indie team of developers. It's like early Minecraft all over again: "I spent $11 and I deserve the world right now!" *DDoS's Notch and his Minecraft site*
Just get some perspective and give them time. Enjoy life in the meantime. Waiting sucks I know :)

You know, this is actually not about the problem (bug) itself. It is about the unexplicable phenomenum i've been noticing: a fanatical suport of the game, to an extent were complaining moaners like me are actually being hostilized by the comunity.

Think I am imagining things? Go check (if you haven't done it so far) the thread I created on SUBSIM about this matter. This guy "julhelm" or something like insults me in several diferent posts. What the heck did I do to this guy? Still, he comes over and bashes away. Though I have not seen anything similar here, the hostility is present nonetheless.

The result of this ass-kissing that has been done is to send a message to the devs: "yeah, go ahead and do anything you want. Release untested games, etc. People are still going to buy your games. If some unsatisfied costumer or two has a complaint, there is a strong comunity to punch him down."

You guys remember what happened when "supreme ruler cold war" was released? And the game still is not perfected. Some things mentioned in the manual aren't even incorporated into the game. And this pattern is becoming more frequent. Will it come to a point where we no longer get the right to demand properly functional games? Because that is where we are heading, apparently.

It is this - and not the bug itself - the reason why I am insisting on this matter so much.

But you know what? I had enough of this. Having a guy insulting me over this issue on the other forum was enough, though it ilustrated my point perfectly.

I give up. I'll just wait for the 'blessing' of a functional game, when and if the devs want it to happen. Looks like this is what it means to be a custumer nowadays.

Last edited:
Oh! One last thing. I have received private messages, here and in subsim, supporting my view on this matter - not the bug, the comunity response to the complaints. Strange that those people should have found more apropriate to say it privately, isn't it? Why, why indeed, they did not come publicly with their views? I wonder if it is because they antecipate hostile responses.

If they are monitoring some of the responses I am geting on what is a very relevant matter, I don't blame them.

You are right Daniel. You have the right to complain, and I don't see anything you have said as hostile or misleading. I told my friends as well that this game is not yet complete, and I would not recommend anyone to buy it without a warning label. Despite this they bought the game :) which is nice, I love the game :eek:o.

I'm wondering what the law says about bugs and crashes. I think in theory distributors are obliged to give a refund if the game does not work, but I guess there are practical issues involved as well...

I support your right to moan :)

Let's just hope the devs can fix this fast, and that producers start taking the hint that realising games early is not good.. At least they had the decency not to charge full price for this game, which I think helps ALOT :)

Dears,
I would like to notice that I tried to play the game with Steam client online, offline and disabling the network card but I always got the freezing issue: just to report you that the internet connection, that in my case is steady and always available, and the Steam client seems to be not related to the current issue.
Thanks

We're working on fixing it as fast as we can. As I said this issue does not turn up in any machines it has been tested on here, so we try to find a system where the problem can be observed and thus fixed. In the meantime we're improving memory management and optimizing code.

On my tower the game don't work, still freeze.
Windows XP Professional SP3 Intel Core2duo 3GHz, 3GB RAM NVidia GeForce GT240

On my Notebook the game work with out problem, I played online the tutorials.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1 Intel Core i7 2GHz, 6GB RAM Intel HD Graphics Family.

I hope this details con Help you to solve the issue.