• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for that Vainglory, i've seen alot of those assumptions around, but occasionally i hear a contradictory statement that throws me. What you've said seems to be the closest thing to consensus atm. Appreciate it.

In a search i've found someone who extrapolated scores for 'heavy ships' they found men of war to be worth somewhere around 0.8 points per ship while dreadnoughts are worth close to 20 iirc. There seems to be a dispute as whether its leaders themselves or leadership points that contribute (or both).

In light of this, the easiest way i can see is to conquer more populated areas, theres a number of targets that can easily double my population. Right now i don't have the tech or money to buy men of war, but i'll look into that if the military score hump is proving a pain. I'll need to fight more wars for the prestige anyway. Some military techs will probably help.

I don't know if its the feudalism penalty, the fact that i'm an unciv or a lack of technology but i have a mobilization pool of 0.

My prestige is 49, i need 40 to get rid of feudalism. My military score is 15 and i need 30.

6. To those who wait

Had a bit of an accident, for some reason all the screenshots i thought i took between 1843-6 have vanished. So here is a bit of a summary:

1, Burgundy offered a white peace fairly sharpish.

2, I research publishing industry followed by post-napoleonic thought. This allowed me to enact the two related decisions. I have more than enough prestige and all the tech requirements, the only thing stopping me from shedding feudalism is the military score.

3, "winds of westernization" occurred, which i welcomed.

4, I continued to expand my military with cavalry

5, I attempted to repair relations with Taiping

Theres enough material from the last session for two updates as was the case last time. So lets deal with the Khmer Empire at peace first.

When the european war ships finally disappeared from the Khmer coast line they left behind a lasting impression on the many denizens of the Empire. The Khmer soldiers who occupied the exotic european trading ports found much to admire about the enemies, soon stories got back to the aristocracy of Angkor.
Before long the very first coffee house was opened in the capital, articles of european dress and curiosities from the west became the preeminent markers of affluence. The Angkoran elite began making leisure trips to singapore, to catch a glimpse of the europeans and bask in their culture. The king even took to wearing a top hat for a few days before re purposing it as a commode.
With this new interest in the civilized world came a reciprocation.

V2_42.jpg

A military mission, not from europe but from the Empire of Japan. A further 4 missions would arrive all from Spain. Their arrival was welcomed and every concession made. The brave Khmer warriors appeared as something more like a rabble when compared to the foreigners, the gradual process of organizing them into an ordered fighting force had begun. General Pok Tong II started on his own private project with the help of Spanish advisors.

Not all is quite so rosey. The tiny Karen minority gains dreams of nationhood, this is unacceptable.

V2_43.jpg

The western nations push for their own embassies and a special legation quarter is opened in the capital. The king cynically refers to it as 'the zoo' and orders the Imperial architect to construct viewing platforms so that the people can get a good look at the curious foreigners.

V2_44.jpg

The presence of the europeans is greeted with fear in some parts of the empire. The perpetrators are punished.

V2_47.jpg

Before long these events would repeat themselves.

An envoy from the Mughal empire arrives with an offer of alliance.

V2_45.jpg

Maybe a few years ago we would have accepted this, but they are a relic of the old world and Khmer is embracing modernity. Besides they are the current occupant of our rightful western lands, there cannot be two suns in the sky!

Another community of foreigners are granted residency.
V2_51.jpg

Strangely we already have a small community of europeans, some 600 Anglo-saxon aristocrats reside in the former lands of champa.

In February 12th 1849 Pok Tong II unveils his finished project, a new home grown weapon, the plans of which have already been sent to royal artisans across the nation.

V2_50.jpg

The new weapon is a flintlock rifle developed from the standard spanish musket retooled for minié balls, but made using locally produced materials.

PICT0232.jpg

Unfortunately Pok Tong II dies of elephant flu, 2 days after its unveiling. His younger brother Pok Chan takes over as head of the imperial army. As his first action he names the weapon the 'Tong' rifle, in memory of his illustrious brother.

THe system is a little different in divergences. Instead of infantry and gaurds, this new development allows me to build infantry (like auxilliaries i guess) from non accepted cultures and 'regulars' from national and accepted cultures. I immediately start replacing fragile irregulars with smartly uniformed and disciplined professional soldiers.

Finally its march 1849 and infamy has dropped enough for another wave of expansion. The truce with scandinavia has worn off, but with our army boosted to 27 brigades and a small Imperial fleet of transports and frigate at the ready, perhaps they are afraid of reigniting the war for Malacca?

V2_52.jpg

I'm only 6 points away from my target military score, even with the 2 generals i can recruit it'll leave me 2 points short, so close!

Russia has erupted in war during this session Novogorod faces a war on two fronts, a war of aggression on mongolia and their ally ming (which they are loosing badly) and a defensive war against moscovy and their ally moldavia. At least in the latter case their allies have come to their rescue. Perhaps Scandinavia is too distracted to deal with the Khmer Empire.

Earlier in this session a grand war opened up in europe. Burgundy, poland and austria against Bohemia and Moscovy. In the end burgundy's army was reduced from 50 odd to 15 brigades and lost territory to Bohemia. I think even the ottomans joined at one point.

Also many poets where poisoned in this session:
4 Malay
1 Karen
1 Cham

Anyway thats part 1 of this update, some excitement to come in the next part.

Last edited:
Why poison them!? Malayan poetry is the renewable resource with which the Khmer heat and light the great city of Angkor!

Don't worry, if events are anything to go by, every second malayan is a poet. I just poison the unoriginal ones. I mean 'Awake you sons of slumber' again? seriously?

Don't worry, if events are anything to go by, every second malayan is a poet. I just poison the unoriginal ones. I mean 'Awake you sons of slumber' again? seriously?

Maybe they don't realize they're unoriginal because you (mercifully) keep burning all the poetry before anyone's read it?

Yes, chain them and march them to the capital and make the honoured court slaves.

still have some 60,000 slaves, fortunately non of them are poets

Maybe they don't realize they're unoriginal because you (mercifully) keep burning all the poetry before anyone's read it?

Good point, i'll schedule a review of this policy in 1936

Now it is rather obvious why Malacca lost the war with Khmer. They care more about poetry than warfare:).

In v1.1 I noticed MilScore went up only when Leaders were created. That may have changed in later versions.

Is that color bridging from Mexico to South America one country?

Great work with Khmer! Interested to see how this goes.

Rensslaer

In v1.1 I noticed MilScore went up only when Leaders were created. That may have changed in later versions.

Is that color bridging from Mexico to South America one country?

Great work with Khmer! Interested to see how this goes.

Rensslaer

Thanks, that colour is Gran Columbia, its a large state with mexican as its primary culture. An on/off world power.

Theres an event early on with a number of different outcomes, it can break up into a dozen different countries (which fight each other continuously) or remain whole as it did in this case. There are about 4 nations with cores on it so it may break up yet.

As for leaders, yeah i know. I'm saving up leadership points to use all at once, but i know how many i can create at any one time. I don't know how to tell what the cap on leadership is

Last edited:
It would be nice to see you kick the Europeans out of Indochina, but I suppose the warscore to accomplish that would be hard to come by. Perhaps a better strategy would be to seize a territory with lots of POPs to promote to soldiers.

Also many poets where poisoned in this session:
4 Malay
1 Karen
1 Cham

I salute the sustained growth of the poetry elimination industry; will them poets ever learn?

Good point, i'll schedule a review of this policy in 1936

Unfortunately, I must point out that the game ends in 1936, so will you just burn poetry, even the good ones crafted even by your own Khmer poets, for the rest of your lives? Because in my world, that isn't going to happen.

Unfortunately, I must point out that the game ends in 1936, so will you just burn poetry, even the good ones crafted even by your own Khmer poets, for the rest of your lives? Because in my world, that isn't going to happen.

The Khmer poetry scene has yet to appear, but i assure you it will be greeted with due reverence.

It would be nice to see you kick the Europeans out of Indochina, but I suppose the warscore to accomplish that would be hard to come by. Perhaps a better strategy would be to seize a territory with lots of POPs to promote to soldiers.

Its not completely off the table, but taking those provinces gave me about 0.5 warscore each, and the europeans can get much more just by blockading me. So if i'm going to take those ports i'll need to be able to control my own waters at the very least, and capture enough land elsewhere. Needless to say in my current state it would be difficult.

Who needs electricity when you can burn Malay Poetry? :)

Awesome job, the max leadership points you can have at a time is 60(unless I'm misinterpreting you).

good aar, subscribed. :D