• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

foothill

Captain
49 Badges
Feb 5, 2011
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Majesty 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities in Motion
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
V. 7.2.2

I am playing a game as America with Hot Relations set to max (the constant war helps to reduce the enevitable slowdown). Well long story short, S. Korea is at war with China and N. Korea no longer exists. I had a great defensive line set up to keep China out of Korea while I dealt with Soviet aggression in Europe. Then, without any reason, S. Korea surrendered to China. China didn't capture their capital, nor was China able to capture any territory. There shouldn't have been any fathomable reasons for S. Korea to just give up. My lines were holding. It just irritates me to no end that S. Korea would surrender like that stranding 180+ units unless I revert back to a previous save and pull out of Korea (not a bad idea if they're just going to give up anyway).

The stranding of units brings up a valid point on another subject, after an allied nation surrenders there should be a period of time (1-2 months) where units should be able to move inside that country and draw from their supplies so that a retreat is possible and those units aren't sacrificed.

What are the victory conditions set for? If they are set for "capital" or "complete conquest" then it's certainly yet another bug....

You say this as if there are lots of bugs in the game, which there aren't, and irregardless of "complete" or "capital" they do not limit in any way when a country when can surrender, it only forces a surrender in capital mode if they loose the capital, meaning you're wrong.

@foothill, do you have a savegame from before they surrendered? maybe 3-4 days before? Does it happen again if you run it again?

That would be a big no. It happened after about 2 hours of gameplay and I turned off the autosaves as they had the tendency to crash the game on occasion and corrupting the file. So, I sort of rage-quit and came back the next day immediately pulling all of my troops out of S. Korea upon loading a previous save. However, S.Korea did put up a valiant effort in defending and, if I remember correctly, surrendered while still in possession of Seoul. I am beginning to wonder if they ran out of reserve troops and that was cause. Does reserves play into the surrender calculation? I would assume that they have a major influence on the choice of surrendering. Sorry that I don't have a save file for you but the next time I play the US, I'll try to recreate it.

Not sure about the reserves but don't think so. Any time you see something strange, try and recreate it. If you can, send it to us. But the trick is having the "before" so we can see it ourselves. Sometimes a game week is needed to find the true trigger. Never know when you'll find something we missed ;)