• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anyone had them punch a hole to France?

In the last game I played, the Golden Horde overran the HRE and finished their expansion by sacking Paris. They occupied the northern half of France for about five years before they totally fell apart. The British Isles, Spain, Southern France, and Naples were the only European territories they didn't annex.

In my current game as the Kingdom of Burgundy the Mongols don't seem very powerful at all. It's 1252 and the Ilkhanate has barely taken Persia and parts of Iraq and haven't made any gains in decades since the initial invasion. Meanwhile the Golden Horde has recently appeared but it looks like the Rus have done a very good job containing them. Of course on the other hand it seems like the Muslims are awfully weak after losing half of Iberia to France and most of North Africa to both the HRE and France. Byzantium is also pressing them from the north as well.

ck2_5.jpg

Need more Mongols to threaten Europe, there's no challenge for any of the emperors as it is! I'm killing off countries for courtiers' claims since nobody can gather the courage to attack me. :/ Even beaten Golden Horde in 1337 start with Byzantines in 20 years while they were occupied with a couple of rebellions.

In my Poland game, the GH basically auto-annexed an almost full-strength Rus when they spawned and started invading places.

Same in my Poland game except they're mostly concerned with Rusian spin-off duchies right now, although I've seen a big stack in Galicia (the one in Spain actually), as well as them operating near Neapol (a Russian duchy due to a succession fail on my part).

Need more Mongols to threaten Europe, there's no challenge for any of the emperors as it is! I'm killing off countries for courtiers' claims since nobody can gather the courage to attack me. :/ Even beaten Golden Horde in 1337 start with Byzantines in 20 years while they were occupied with a couple of rebellions.

Lol...

I think paradox should average out mongols since we are getting so extremely different cases:

- me and kingsword who wouldn't mind them stronger since they aren't real challenge at all in our games, I could fight both hordes the same time without a problem.
- other guys who are getting them as far as in France or England which is way to far. ( and they should also focus on inland expansion into HRE and Hungary not naval invasions)

Also when Golden Horde captures the northern russian coastal provinces they will send ships all around europe to meet with their other ships in the black sea. I was quite surprised to see a Mongol navy outside Ireland:D

I'm currently kicking around the Ilkhanate (and pretty much everyone else in the middle east) from Jerusalem, but the GH has everything that isn't Byzantine, Holy Roman, or Norwegian in the north.

It all revolts every few years though, so they're scary, but usually pretty busy.

Don't really see why it would kill you to just swear fealty and then backstab them a little while later...

Also when Golden Horde captures the northern russian coastal provinces they will send ships all around europe to meet with their other ships in the black sea. I was quite surprised to see a Mongol navy outside Ireland:D

This is why we need naval combat in a patch or DLC. Watching the Mongols sailing the Baltic sea to invade Scotland is just so silly.

This is why we need naval combat in a patch or DLC. Watching the Mongols sailing the Baltic sea to invade Scotland is just so silly.
No it isn't. They tried to invade Japan with a grand fleet, why wouldn't they invade England?

I think paradox should average out mongols since we are getting so extremely different cases:

- me and kingsword who wouldn't mind them stronger since they aren't real challenge at all in our games, I could fight both hordes the same time without a problem.
- other guys who are getting them as far as in France or England which is way to far. ( and they should also focus on inland expansion into HRE and Hungary not naval invasions)

And me as a third case - a single mongol did not appear let alone any invasion.:eek:

No it isn't. They tried to invade Japan with a grand fleet, why wouldn't they invade England?

You almost answer your own question. Their attempts to invade Japan were disastrous. And that was with the full might of Chinese imperial engineering behind them. The Golden Horde isn't the Yuan dynasty. They have horses, and bows, and people who fire bows while riding horses. What they don't have is generations of seamanship experience which doesn't appear overnight. You don't just build boats and then declare that you're ready to build a maritime empire. This isn't a game like Civilization. The idea of the Mongols arriving in western Russia and then loading everyone onto boats to siege Lothian is beyond silly, to be quite honest.

You almost answer your own question. Their attempts to invade Japan were disastrous. And that was with the full might of Chinese imperial engineering behind them. The Golden Horde isn't the Yuan dynasty. They have horses, and bows, and people who fire bows while riding horses. What they don't have is generations of seamanship experience which doesn't appear overnight. You don't just build boats and then declare that you're ready to build a maritime empire. This isn't a game like Civilization. The idea of the Mongols arriving in western Russia and then loading everyone onto boats to siege Lothian is beyond silly, to be quite honest.

All of your points are valid except this one.

To my understanding both failed invasions were flukes due to the weather.