• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would do one but my absurdist approach to life wouldnt do the AAR justice. If you write something in the style of Harold Pinter or Samuel Becket I could aid you (that would be a strange AAR...)

Harold who? Samuel what? :confused:

While I google these people, please analyse as absurdly as you can.

Good stuff. Looking forwards for the operation :)

Thank you.

No one is shadowing a bunch of merry Englishmen that carry big baggage and look like soldiers?
Yeah right.

And when they suspiciously manage to enter the offices of the Reichskriegsministerium, that is being garrisoned probably by a lot of soldiers round the clock, entering the room of the boss and bringing something out?
WITH GUNS? IN BERLIN?

YOU DO NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO THE OFFICE OF A GERMAN GENERAL!!!
You use some secrecy for gods sake! :D

Oh Enewald, have you no faith in my ability to address these problems as you point them out. :p

Besides, only two have been dressed as soldiers since the change of clothes, and German soldiers at that. ;)

I've just nominated this aar for The Weekly AAR Showcase Well done!

Thank you so much. I can't find words to express my joy, so I'll just do this:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PS. The following updates have a lot of German in them. Correcting my Google Translate Deutsch is encouraged. :D

Last edited:
guardairport.jpg

Part Twenty

September 5th 1938, Berlin, Germany

As they pulled up to the airport, Bradley heard a groan behind him. He tried to turn and look behind himself, but there was not enough space. He tapped Dieter’s shoulder.

“What was that groan? Is there someone in the trunk?”

Dieter’s eyes widened.

“Verdammt! I forgot to hide him!”

“Hide who?” Bradley asked.

Dieter seemed to be thinking of an answer when Levinson spoke.

“The man who was following us”.

“They had somebody following us?”

“Of course they did. Okay, we’re going to carry the guns in our laps. Whatever you do, do not open the trunk. We’ll take care of him later”.

Levinson got out of the car and headed for the guards. There was an anxious silence as he tried to explain something to them, pointing at the car, then at the nearby zeppelin. The guards soon made a small, two man huddle. They stayed like this for seemingly an eternity, before turning around and waving Levinson through.

Levinson turned around and gave them the thumbs up. Moss handed Bradley the empty bag that had once contained the guard uniforms, and lifted five fingers to indicate how many guns they needed to fit inside the bag. Bradley nodded and got out of the car.

He walked toward the two guards as confidently as he could, but still felt as though they could see right through him. He finally drew up to them, and stopped almost automatically. His mind tried to comprehend what his body had just done. The guards eyed him suspiciously. Levinson was already at the plane and waving his hands frantically, indicating that Bradley should keep walking. He finally regained control of his legs, moving his right leg forward. In a feeble attempt to explain his stop, he raised his hand and waved.

“Guten tag”.

Bradley did not stay long enough to see their reaction. He half ran to Levinson, who did not look pleased.

“What the hell was that?” Levinson asked as he stepped into the plane.

“I… I don’t know. I just froze”.

He followed Levinson to the secret compartment.

“Open the bag”.

Bradley did as told, holding up five fingers once the bag was well and truly open. Levinson nodded and began packing. He was placing in the fifth gun when they heard a voice outside the plane.

“Hallo, sind sie noch drinne meine Herren?”

A look of mild panic registered on Levinson’s face. He almost slammed the secret compartment closed, zipped up the bag and stood up.

“Ja!” He shouted.

There was a moment of silence. Then they heard the guard going up the steps into the airplane. He stopped in the middle of the central corridor and turned to them.

“Ihre Zeit ist abgelaufen. Sie haben fünf Minuten gesagt, es ist Zeit zu gehen”.

Levinson’s shoulders relaxed a little. He did however, manage to act unsurprised. Bradley hoped that he didn’t look too suspicious.

“Ja, ja. Wir sind hier fertig”.

The guard nodded and headed outside. Levinson turned to Bradley.

“Time to go”.

They walked out of the plane, Bradley carrying the bag past the guards and into Dieter’s cab. Dieter looked at the bag.

“They are in there?”

Bradley nodded.

“Okay David. Next stop, the Reichstag”.

Last edited:
Hm... from the way they speak german the guards are agents too. Russian infiltration? :D
This would be something in the style of Harold Pinter. English spies go to Germany were they disguise as german soldiers to sneak past German soldiers who are actually disguised Russian spies. And that all too steal documents about the German army which have been stolen by latvians years ago and replaced with data about the King's own scottish borderers. These re then returned to England where the English king immidiately dispatches the King's own scottish borderers to hunt down the King's own scottish borderers whose commander constantly laments the good old times when he was a famous painter. All of this then ends when a mysterious spy convinces the commander all he ever desires if he disobeys his commands and stops the hunt for the King's own scottish borderers and the king, finding out about this transgression has him court martialled. Meanwhile a latvian in Germany begins thinking about the human condition

I just read the entire thing, and I've got to say that so far, I'm impressed. I'd usually be reluctant to involve important historical people (such as FDR, Winston Churchill, etc.) personally in the story, but they come across as believable enough. Good job, I will be keeping an eye on this AAR, if possible, both eyes.

'Wir tun hier'- what?
We do here?

Hallo, sind Sie noch drinne meine Herren?
Sie haben fünf Minuten gesagt, es ist Zeit zu gehen.

Please someone correct my mistakes. :p

Hm... from the way they speak german the guards are agents too. Russian infiltration? :D
This would be something in the style of Harold Pinter. English spies go to Germany were they disguise as german soldiers to sneak past German soldiers who are actually disguised Russian spies. And that all too steal documents about the German army which have been stolen by latvians years ago and replaced with data about the King's own scottish borderers. These re then returned to England where the English king immidiately dispatches the King's own scottish borderers to hunt down the King's own scottish borderers whose commander constantly laments the good old times when he was a famous painter. All of this then ends when a mysterious spy convinces the commander all he ever desires if he disobeys his commands and stops the hunt for the King's own scottish borderers and the king, finding out about this transgression has him court martialled. Meanwhile a latvian in Germany begins thinking about the human condition

:eek:

Wow. That's uh... wow. However, the soldiers aren't Russian, I'll tell you that. They've just learned their German from Google translate.

I just read the entire thing, and I've got to say that so far, I'm impressed. I'd usually be reluctant to involve important historical people (such as FDR, Winston Churchill, etc.) personally in the story, but they come across as believable enough. Good job, I will be keeping an eye on this AAR, if possible, both eyes.

I'm glad to have impressed you.

I was also a bit averse to including Franklin and Winston. Then I realized that it'll work if I don't get intimidated by the fact that they're real, and try make them believable, human characters. :)

'Wir tun hier'- what?
We do here?

Hallo, sind Sie noch drinne meine Herren?
Sie haben fünf Minuten gesagt, es ist Zeit zu gehen.

Please someone correct my mistakes. :p

It should be "We're done here". :D

Thank you for corrections. :)

:eek:

Wow. That's uh... wow. However, the soldiers aren't Russian, I'll tell you that. They've just learned their German from Google translate.

Herr Google Translate?

I'm glad to have impressed you.

I was also a bit averse to including Franklin and Winston. Then I realized that it'll work if I don't get intimidated by the fact that they're real, and try make them believable, human characters. :)

And they're coming across as such :)

reichstagt.jpg

Part Twenty One

Unlike the Brandenburg Gate, which awed Bradley, the Reichstag had an aura of fear. The steps were filled with politicians, all of whom Bradley couldn’t help but think of as the man who sent someone to follow them. Dieter drove round the corner and stopped the car.

Moss and Connor each took a gun out of the bag and got out of the car. Levinson rolled down the window, gave them two thumbs up, and wished them luck. The two men, indistinguishable from the guards Bradley had seen standing at the top of the steps, turned the corner.

“Where did you need to go David?” Dieter asked.

“Jungstrasse 12”.

Dieter nodded and began driving again. Levinson turned to Bradley.
“Brauchitsch should be out of the house, but just in case, take one of the Enfields”.
Bradley did as told. He checked the Enfield for ammunition, and prayed he wouldn’t have to use it. Levinson cocked the pistol he had taken from the secret compartment. The action seemed to assure Levinson, but only made Bradley’s stomach feel emptier.

Eventually they drew up to Jungstrasse 12. Levinson put his gun inside his coat jacket, got out of the car, and looked around the street. He then took the gun out and signalled for Bradley to leave the car. Bradley got out, and followed Levinson to the front door.

Levinson took out metal rod, and rammed it violently into the lock. He wiggled it around for about eight seconds before the lock clocked. Levinson opened the door and Bradley went inside. He soon heard the door close, and an eerie silence settled in the house.
“The office should be behind this door. Let’s hope nobody’s here”, Levinson said as he moved to the second door.

Bradley took a deep breath as Levinson tried the doorknob. It was locked, so the metal rod was rammed into it. Five seconds later, Levinson opened the door and took a step inside. There was no one in the office. The left side of the room was covered by a bookshelf, and in the middle was a large desk.

Levinson went to the desk and signalled for Bradley to watch the door. The sound of papers shuffling and drawers giving way to the metal rod filled the silence. The sound became louder and louder, until it stopped completely. The reason was the other sound they had both heard. A door had been opened within the house.

Bradley gripped the Enfield tighter. They could hear steps coming nearer to the door. Finally they stopped, and Bradley could see a German soldier in the doorway. The soldier’s gun dropped to the ground as his eyes became saucers. There was a very real fear in his eyes. Bradley’s Enfield was almost touching the soldier’s nose.

“Töte mich nicht. Nicht. Nicht”.

Einspruch! Er ist ein Spion und Spies nie an die Regeln!

Google translate is fun. And so is this AAR. But I demand War! ;)

Schieß mich! Oder stirb selbst du böser Ängländer! :D

Open fire!

Fire shall be opened. :D

Einspruch! Er ist ein Spion und Spies nie an die Regeln!

Google translate is fun. And so is this AAR. But I demand War! ;)

Fun AAR is fun, but the war will have to wait for now.

I wish I understood German now...

Nice update, however, and congrats on the nomination. I think you're the first from the contestants to be nominated.

Thanks, but I think the first contestant to be nominated for anything was TemplarComander and his I, Alexei. :)

deskspd.jpg

Part Twenty Two

“What should I do?” Bradley asked.

He hoped that Levinson wouldn’t order him to shoot. The soldier looked at Levinson pleadingly, and Bradley turned around to see his reaction. Levinson was standing behind the desk, pistol pointed at the German. He seemed to be about to say something when the German grabbed Bradley’s gun.

The soldier wrenched the gun out of his hand, and Bradley lurched forward in attempt to take it back. His face met with the butt of his own gun, and Bradley tumbled onto the floor. The soldier pointed the gun at him. Bradley closed his eyes, and winced as he heard Levinson’s pistol go off.

He opened his eyes, just in time to see the German fall backward, hands clasped firmly around his neck. The blood was seeping through the soldier’s grip. The scene was still for a while, the only sound the gurgling of the dying man. The smell of blood wafted into Bradley’s nostrils. He felt sick.

“Ich wollte dich leben lassen”, Levinson said as he walked next to the German.

Bradley could see what was coming next. He stood up and watched Levinson move the barrel of his pistol so that it was pointing to the man’s forehead. Bradley looked at the expression of utter panic in the German’s eyes. Levinson pulled the trigger as Bradley looked away.

“Great, look at this mess. Find a mop and clean this up. I’m going to bury him”.

Bradley did as told, searching every room of the house frantically before he found a mop and a bucket. He filled the bucket with water from the kitchen, and got to work, mopping up the puddle of blood that had formed where the man had fallen down. He continued by following the blood stains that the body had left as Levinson dragged it into the garden.

When he was finished, he noticed Levinson rolling the man into a hole he had dug in one of Mrs. Brauchitsch’s flowerbeds. Bradley was amazed at the speed with which Levinson had created the grave. Levinson grabbed the shovel and began flinging the dirt back into the flowerbed, pausing every so often to place the flowers, which he had organized meticulously, back in their place.

After around 10 minutes, he was done. Levinson rested the shovel against the wall, and headed inside. The garden looked as though nothing had happened to it since their arrival.

“Come on Ellis. We’ve got papers to find”, Levinson said, tapping Bradley on the shoulder.

They headed back to the office, and Levinson resumed his search of the desk. Bradley picked up the discarded Enfield and went back to his post. They stayed like that for ten minutes, until Levinson walked past Bradley with a stack of papers.

“Time to go. I found the documents”.

Bradley followed him to Dieter’s waiting car. Bradley sat down in the back seat, and Levinson simply signalled for Dieter to drive.

“Did you find what you were looking for David?” Dieter asked.

Levinson turned to him.

“Just drive for now Dieter”.

I've been following this AAR since it was nominated as the weekly showcase, and what a worthy choice it was. Very different from your usual HoI fare and very entertaining.

I especially like the fact that you've chosen to take an espionage angle rather than concentrating on grand strategy.

Keep up the good work!

Another good chapter to add to the story. This may or may not inspire me to write an AAR of my own someday.

Insane AAR is insane. :rofl:

It is isn't it? :D

I've been following this AAR since it was nominated as the weekly showcase, and what a worthy choice it was. Very different from your usual HoI fare and very entertaining.

I especially like the fact that you've chosen to take an espionage angle rather than concentrating on grand strategy.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliment, and keep up the good work I will. :)

Another good chapter to add to the story. This may or may not inspire me to write an AAR of my own someday.

I hope it does. You can never have too many WritAARs. :)

pilotz.jpg
Part Twenty Three

When they arrived at the Reichstag, Moss and Connor were already by the waiting for them. Dieter slowed the car just enough for them to get in. Connor slumped back and opened his jacket to reveal a small pile of bloodstained documents.

“Did you get shot at?” Bradley asked.

Connor looked at him, smiling peculiarly.

“No, we didn’t. Moss cut himself with Hitler’s letter opener”.

Moss, smiling like Connor, presented his wrapped hand. Bradley could see the embroidered AH clearly. They had patched him up with Hitler’s handkerchief. The absurdity of the situation made him smile just like the other two. Levinson was stony faced.

“You stole the German Fuhrer’s handkerchief?”

At Levinson’s last words, Dieter began laughing uncontrollably.

“Oh you English. No other nation on earth would steal Hitler’s handkerchief”.

Levinson broke into a grin.

“Maybe the Americans”.

The entire car broke out into laughter. They were still pointing and poking Hitler’s handkerchief when they arrived at Friedrichstrasse 5. Allenby was waiting outside with their bags. Connor reached past Moss and opened the door. He was about to point at Moss’ hand when Allenby shoved a bag unceremoniously in his face.

“Yes, I know. You stole Hitler’s handkerchief. The Berlin Police Department is going nuts because of it. Dieter, it’s best we get to the airport before they decide to ground all flights”.

Allenby squeezed in and Dieter stomped down on the gas pedal. Bradley was sure that he was going to be sick as Dieter turned around corners at breakneck speed. He was amazed they hadn’t been stopped yet. It didn’t take them long to arrive at the airport.

Everybody except Dieter shuffled out and tried to look normal. Once the bags were outside too, Levinson handed Dieter some Deutschmarks and he sped away. The team walked toward the guards, who thankfully had been changed since they picked up the weapons. Neither of the Germans said anything when they passed. Bradley let out a sigh of relief.

Once they got inside the plane, Levinson broke into a sprint. He ran into the other pilot as he reached the door to the cockpit.

“Oh thank God! You’re here”.

The pilot raised his left eyebrow.

“Of course we are. You told us to be here”.

“Told you to be here? When?”

“You called the pilots’ lounge about fifteen minutes ago”.

“I never called the pilots’ lounge”.

There was a momentary silence as the pilot’s eyes widened.

“I’ll go get the engines started”.