• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
belgium looks very bad indeed, finland too. i would try to encircle the soviet troops in northromania and start "Operation Tannenbaum" (Switzerland). Puppet Switzerland (they will stay neutral for some time after you puppeted them) and invade france together with italy.

I had thought about it, but truth is we are so pressed on all fronts, I did not have the troops to consider something like that.

It will look bad for a while, but if the Germans can hold things together for a while they will pull through. USSR really suck this early on. Similar thing happened in my "Sudden Carnage" (see link below). It is always tempting for USSR to do this attack... but seldom good. Now GER threat against USA will rise slower. UK and USSR will have to do this on their own, and I don't think they can handle that (depending of course on the players ability to tackle this situation).

Looking forwards for next chapters. The outcome is far from decided.

Thanks for the optimistic outlook. I have indeed read all of your exploits CptEasy and certainly believe we can beat the Bear. Assuming the Brits and the French don't beat us first!

Interesting MP game. I never play MP due to my schedule but like the story line so far. You can do it Axis!! Beat back the commie and tommy/frenchie hordes!!

Thanks again for the support!

if you can fall back in order you can hold the brit's and french until you beat the bear, no worries mate, the terrain of germany is good for defenses, just make sure you hold your industrial area's and get Mussolini's full support otherwise we might be seeing a freedom parade's in west prussia, and that's not a pretty sight XD

France has been very anxious about italian and spanish ambitions. I think the only reason i might have seen calm is because sweden calls every offensive axis move his doom :=)

Hmm... This seems to be a similar to Harry Turtledove's "Hitler's War", where the war started a year early over Czechoslovakia. Go Allies! Kick German ass! Good AAR!

Chapter #9: France is a Teeter Totter

Chapter #9: June 1939

From the Author: Sorry about the delay between posts. We took a hiatus in the game when we were certain the outcome of the game was decided. Today we played the final session to finish it off. It is my intention to finish this AAR before we begin our next game after the new update.

Situation: We are a forming a line against the USSR. However, France is the main problem. The enemy has proved very capable, and, with British help, they are pushing us back.

The Biritish, with the help of their naval guns, shot right up the coast. The battles that were fought were mostly one sided. Many of my divisions on the western flank had low or no organization.

I attempted a counter attack, only to be sent home in quick order.

Sept 11

Sept1139Franceindetail.jpg

The allies took advantage of this and pushed us further back. I tried to form up lines behind rivers and other obstacles.

Sept 15

Sept1539France.jpg

This was of great concern to the Fuhrer. The allies seemed to moved ahead at a slow but steady pace. Most of my army was already here, which meant that I could not expect help from the Russian front. The French and British attacks were relentless. Divisions with only 15 or 20 org were sent into battle in an attempt to slow the French, and perhaps make them think we were stronger than we were. Many units on the front line had no org. Again, just trying to demonstrate strength that wasn't really there.

The last of the reinforcements arrived. A couple new tank divisions. These would either allow us to hold, or France would have a clear route to Berlin.

Sept 18

Sept1839France.jpg

The French continued to launch multiple attacks as the British began a relentless campaign of logistical bombing. Our lines are buckling.

Sept 30

Sept3039France.jpg

Along the Romanian border we again found another encirclement opportunity. The Japanese and Italians quickly took advantage of the situation.

Sept 11

Sept1139Ger-Rom-Rusborder.jpg

Sept 18

Sept1839Encircle.jpg

The center of the Russian front was beginning to stabilize. We continue to gain small bits of ground.

Sept 11

Sept1139RussiaFront.jpg

However, the Russian Tank Corps that had arrived from Finland and was striking toward our port at Konigsberg. Our line here was not strong, and the enemies tanks covered ground quickly.

Sept 15

Sept1539NorthRussia.jpg

A large gap formed in our lines, and a couple divisions were trapped in Memel. There was also the threat of encirclement for divisions east of there.

Sept 25

Sept2539RussianFront.jpg

I called for a counter-attack. We struck west, into the flank of the offensive. A lone Russian division attempted to make for Litewski.

Sept 30

Sept3039RussiaB.jpg

The allies are pushing us back. My lines at this point are nothing but a disorganized mob. We continue to destroy the Russians in large chucks, yet they push us deep. Even into our own territory.

Last edited:
Chapter #10: Target: Latvia

Chapter #10: Oct 39 to Nov 4 39

To help against the Russian offensive, I sent my BC fleet to support my troops. I had just seen how powerful naval support can be, and would like my Russian friend to feel the effects! :D Apparently Pirro did not like this. Little did I know, he had a fleet consisting of 2 BBs and several subs tucked away that he brought out to challenge my rule in the Baltic.

Oct439USSRNavalBattle.jpg

The battle lasted nearly a day. The results: I lost one old BC, he lost his battleships!

Oct539EndNavalBattle.jpg

However, my fleet did have to go in for repairs. Unsupported, my troops fought on. The Russians had closed in on Konigsberg. The defenders there and in Memel fought on valiantly, holding out as my counter attack threatened to cut off the Soviet troops.

Oct 10

Oct1039NWUSSR.jpg

A week later it was over. Most of the Russian troops had been captured and our front lines reestablished.

Oct 17

Oct1739NUSSR.jpg

Oct1739RomaniaUSSR.jpg

It was known that there were Russian subs still patrolling the seas outside of Memel, due to transport losses. To counter this I sent out my destroyers. On Oct 21 we found a group of them just where we thought they might be.

Oct 21

Oct2139SubBattle.jpg

Results:

Oct2239SubBattleResults.jpg

With the lines reestablished, we once again joined our Japanese/Italian/Romanian allies and pushed ahead into Mother Russia. More encirclement opportunities:

Oct 26

Oct2639WholeUSSRFront.jpg

Oct 30

Oct3039USSREncirclement.jpg

Nov 2

Nov239CircleResults.jpg

By early November I was moving into Latvia. The plan was to strike hard for Riga and cut off yet another large chunk of the Russian army. However, the Russians were now retreating in good order. My generals were a bit overzealous and had not taken this into account.

Nov 2

Nov239NUSSR.jpg

Fortunately, the Fuhrer is all knowing and can make up for minor mistakes on the part of his subordinates. A transport loaded with 2 divisions had been sent to amphibiously invade Riga days before this. :cool:

Nov 4

Nov439NUSSRAmphib.jpg

Elsewhere, in France:

We continue to be pushed hard in France. I am expecting that at any minute my lines will collapse. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, news of a naval invasion reaches me in my retreat at Wolfsburg. The British had landed in the Netherlands.

Oct 7

Oct739France.jpg

Supported by their fleet, the British pushed out from their initial invasion and started to wrap around our lines. A British armor division pushed out NE from Amsterdam.

Oct 17

Oct1739France.jpg

Fortunately some of my armor divisions were rolling off of the assembly line. I put some of them out there to intimidate the Brits. Zero organization and all! If only the allies knew how light I was there! In many cases the armors mere presence deterred the British.

Oct 26

Oct2639France.jpg

Last edited:
The Eastern Front looks good - you destroyed many Soviet divs, sth which simply cannot by ignored by the SU player. Also, in the southern part of the front it's the German allies that are burning MP, which will allow Germany to save its own MP. Japanese doing blitzkrieg in Ukraine and the IJN supporting the Axis troops fighting in coastal provinces in the Black Sea region in 1939... hilarious :).

Seems Germany was not as smart as he thought. ;)

This really is a nail-biter! I've been on the Axis side and I must say that I myself am worried, anxious, and exhilerated! Valient but steady failure in the west while overcoming impossible odds in the east...

You can really tell who the worthy opponents are. If the British player had been in control of the Soviet Union I think this game would've ended already...this is certainly an epic game. JDNIGHT, I look forward to reading your future AARs. You obviously know how to draw in the audience! It's good to see that there are good authors out there!

Chapter #11: Going Swede Hunting

Chapter 11: Nov 39 to Dec 39

Situation: The line with France is stabilizing... sort of. The French test my line constantly. Battles there last weeks with thousands of casualties. However, I am starting to feel a numb sort of confidence in my line there. However, the British are moving up the coast threatening to encircle my troops in the low lands. We are advancing in Russia slowly but steadily, destroying large chunks of troops on the way to Moscow.

In Russia my troops continue to encircle the troops in Latvia, with the support of my navy. The Russians here are not going down without a fight though. This could take longer than I thought. There is a lot of pressure on me now from my allies to finish the war in Russia in short order. They want me to finish off France so that they can get on with their own plans.

Nov 7

Nov939Latvia.jpg

Nov 14

Nov1439Latvia.jpg

Nearly a month into the operation, the Russian troops are putting up the first real resistance we have seen. The just will not surrender. They have even taken Riga, but I am able to hold the encirclement. You can see a Russian tank division to the SE that tried to free his comrades.

Nov 23

Nov2339Latvia.jpg

In France, things are improving... a bit. We are able to push back the thrust from Amsterdam and contain the British in the Netherlands. No British divisions were destroyed. Sach is a capable player, and I just didn't have the numbers to execute a true encirclement.

Nov 10

Nov1039France.jpg

As you can see, allied aricraft continuously bomb us. Their bombers were primarily on Logistical runs. This was taking its toll, and many of my divisions on the front line were without supply. I brought in a transport and paired it up with a MR. I used this unit sparingly, at night, to resupply my troops. Despite the fact that it took a little bit of damage on occasion, I was able to keep my troops supplied.

Spoiler: At the end of the game, after a long conversation, Sach admitted that he did not know I was using the Transport and could not understand how I was able to keep supplies going to my troops.

Nov 15

Nov1539France.jpg

The British are pushing hard, probably getting a lot of 'pressure' from their allies to make progress. My line is holding the French well now, and obviously the Russians are in trouble.

At this point it is becoming obvious to me that the British are very effective when they can be supported by their navy. However, when they try to push inland, I am able to stop them with ease. This is a realization that I will certainly use to my advantage at a later date. ;)

Nov 23

Nov2339France.jpg

At this point I have to make a confession: When I first learned there was to be a Swedish player I was elated. An Axis Sweden would work very well into my plans of a strong Kregsmarine and a quick end to Russia. However, when I learned that Sweden was to be Allied, I became infuriated. (Something about playing Germany really makes one take on the traits of the Fuhrer) That frustration lasted a long time.

During these months I was not building nearly enough infantry, but I had a couple divisions rolling out, as well as some new armored divisions. My Paratroopers had been kept back in reserve and I still had a decent compliment in Denmark. I decided it was time to make a move to not only end my frustration, but to also spread the allies thin. Enter operation: Hunt The Swedes.

It was suspected by us the Swedish manpower must be low and that any divisions that I could destroy would be permanently lost. :D The transports are in place. Got to love owning the Baltic!

Nov 24

Nov2439Sweden.jpg

Initially the attack is very successful. The experience I have gained from using paratroopers earlier in the war has really paid off. I can now execute these attacks on time. :eek:o The plan is to secure a port relatively quickly and to use my troops in Copenhagen to stall the retreat of the Swedish troops.

Nov 25

Nov2539Sweden.jpg

Things continue to go well in Sweden. A stack of Swedish troops as well as a number of HQs are surrounded and cut off. The Swedish have sent only one tank division to try to stop us. However, Sach is never to be underestimated. Or is it that he is becoming predictable. ;) Anyway, much of his force that was in Belgium has already arrived in Sweden. This is not considered a problem by me. However, Sach's ability to bring this force to bear rapidly never ceases to amaze me.

Dec 1

Dec139Sweden.jpg

Apparently I am not alone in the Baltic. Oh well, that can be remedied quickly.

Dec 2

Dec239NavalBattleSweden.jpg

Dec239NavalBattleResults.jpg

The Swedish troops are cornered and surrounded. However the British are pushing hard, threatening my attack force. One of my Paratrooper divisions has been routed. Will the troops from Copenhagen arrive in time to hold the line?

Dec1239Sweden.jpg

Meanwhile in France, the French are taking advantage of my 'distraction' and have brought around an armored group to help the British push NE. We have fought some long, bloody battles in Belgium and my army is beat up and disorganized. However, you can see there is considerably less British here now.

Dec 12

Dec1239France.jpg

The lack of British support however, leave the French exposed and out numbered. My troops are pushing them hard here. French with a white flag? The Fuhrer is happy once again.

Dec 16

Dec1639France.jpg

Finally, after well over a month, the pocket in Latvia is finished off. The lines are reformed. With the exception of a small gap in the middle, my line is certainly looking much beefier than the Russian line at this point. I, Der Fuhrer, have decided that it is now time to start making for Moscow and Leningrad with all haste. Push!

Dec 13

Dec1339Latvia.jpg

Japanese/Italian front

Dec 13

Dec1339Romania.jpg

Things are looking better. The Russians are now certainly much weaker and will at most be a speed bump. The French are being held. The British have a considerable force, and can be a threat anywhere they go, but are tied up in Sweden. :D I can now declare to my fellow axis members that the French line has been stabilized.

Last edited:
Hardly a historical game heh. Considering everyone is at war, super heavy armor won´t be used at all I guess.

Pushing into Russia, in winter, when you already have supply problems on the French front? Can your logistics handle this?

Status
Not open for further replies.