• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
maybe you could helpme clear something up. Ever since I started playing ICE, I had no idea what to make of the landwehr. I noticed earlier in the AAR that you made them a combination of infantry and militia in-game. it was a true "aha!" experience. does this mean you will upgrade the mil to inf?

as a side note, I would kill to get my hands on your research files!!!

@ Davy: Niehorster's Orbat: http://niehorster.orbat.com/
axishistory: http://www.axishistory.com/index.php

maybe you could helpme clear something up. Ever since I started playing ICE, I had no idea what to make of the landwehr. I noticed earlier in the AAR that you made them a combination of infantry and militia in-game. it was a true "aha!" experience. does this mean you will upgrade the mil to inf?
In the course of the remilitarization of Nazi Germany, the Landwehr was reestablished on 21 May 1935 comprising all Germans liable for military service under the new law older than 35 years of age and younger than 45 years and organized into 21 Landwehr divisions (from 1 to 3 attached to the different Wehrkreise).
They were composed of reserve personal solely :
12% under 35 years old, training completed since 1920 (Reserve I)
46% under 35 years old, with 3 months of training (Reserve II)
42% 35-45 years old, most veterans of WWI (Reserve III)

The result was a unit with some quite good training and combat experience but lacking "fangs" (old men). Some performed quite well but they were mostly tasked for second line and/or rear area duty.
In game, I'm using 1xInf + 2xMil + 1xArt to reflect their Landwehr status (i.e. above militia but below normal infantry).

The Landwehr divisions composed 21 of the 22 divisions of the 3rd mobilisation wave. The last one (311. ID) was formed 11.1939 with elements of the Lötzen and Goldap brigades (parts of 3rd Army, East-Prussia).
To reflect the mobilised status, and the increased training, I do upgrade the 2 Mil rgts into Inf to come up with the standart 3xInf + 1xArt ID.

During the game, I'll often use 2xInf + 1xMil + 1xArt ID to simulate second-line or occupation divisions (in Poland, France, etc...).

as a side note, I would kill to get my hands on your research files!!!
I understand your feeling : It's almost impossible to find everything in one place.
Most of the time, it requires a huuuuge amount of time to find the needed/required informations. Crossing reference, guessing, following clues (and aspirine !) are part of the job...
Language skills are very useful too ! Internet is full of bad, incomplete or wrong translations...

Last edited:
In the course of the remilitarization of Nazi Germany, the Landwehr was reestablished on 21 May 1935 comprising all Germans liable for military service under the new law older than 35 years of age and younger than 45 years and organized into 21 Landwehr divisions (from 1 to 3 attached to the different Wehrkreise).
They were composed of reserve personal solely :
12% under 35 years old, training completed since 1920 (Reserve I)
46% under 35 years old, with 3 months of training (Reserve II)
42% 35-45 years old, most veterans of WWI (Reserve III)

The result was a unit with some quite good training and combat experience but lacking "fangs" (old men). Some performed quite well but they were mostly tasked for second line and/or rear area duty.
In game, I'm using 1xInf + 2xMil + 1xArt to reflect their Landwehr status (i.e. above militia but below normal infantry).

The Landwehr divisions composed 21 of the 22 divisions of the 3rd mobilisation wave. The last one (311. ID) was formed 11.1939 with elements of the Lötzen and Goldap brigades (parts of 3rd Army, East-Prussia).
To reflect the mobilised status, and the increased training, I do upgrade the 2 Mil rgts into Inf to come up with the standart 3xInf + 1xArt ID.

During the game, I'll often use 2xInf + 1xMil + 1xArt ID to simulate second-line or occupation divisions (in Poland, France, etc...).

I understand your feeling : It's almost impossible to find everything in one place.
Most of the time, it requires a huuuuge amount of time to find the needed/required informations. Crossing reference, guessing, following clues (and aspirine !) are part of the job...
Language skills are very useful too ! Internet is full of bad, incomplete or wrong translations...

thanks for the info.
about research: don't I know it! try following the different squadrons where some of the Royal navy capitals were assigned between 1939 and 1941.

Chapter 17 : 'Wunderland'

Reichskanzlei, Berlin - 1939, July the 11th - 1100
The Führer meets Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop and Heinrich Himmler, Reichsführer-SS.

- "Na Ribbentrop ? Have you learn a bit more on what currently happens in Asia ?
- You mean, this so-called "Khalkhin Gol" incident, mein Führer ?
- Genau das !
- Well... What first appeared, last May, like one of the numerous clashes between Japanese and Soviet forces on this part of the border of Manchuria, is now escalating into a major regional conflict.

R0yOyBR.jpg

The "Khalkhin Gol" incident
- Explain !
- it first started with a clash of two cavalry parties, one Mongolian and one Manchukuoan. The japanses then sent a small infantry force to support their "allies" but the Soviets did the same to help their mongolian "brethrens". Apparently, the Soviet-Mongolian forces surrounded the Japanese force on 28 May and destroyed it.
After that, both sides began building up their forces in the area. the Soviets brought more motorized and armored forces to the combat zone, led by a new Corps commander, Georgy Zhukov, apparently a very capable man.
On the other side, the Japanese Air force launched a massive airstrike at the Soviet airbase at Tamsak-Bulak in Mongolia but it looks like the Kwangtung Army did that without getting permission from Imperial Japanese Army headquarters in Tokyo. We suspect a kind of influence struggle.
- And now ?
- Right now, the Japanese have launched a major offensive against the Soviets but they suffer severe supply problems due to a lack of similar motor transport. They might win but everything indicates it will turn into a bloody stalemate.
- Na gut... Anyhow, it's not a major concern to us right now. Besides, we have to be nice to the Soviets. How are the negociations doing ?
- We're making progress, mein Führer. If everything goes fine, I'll fly to Moscow next month.
- Sehr gut, Ribbentrop.
Und jetzt zu uns, Heinrich... mein treuer Heinrich. What's going on with Unternehmen 'Tannenberg' ?
- We're almost ready, mein Führer. We've planned 21 border incidents in all, in a intend to give the appearance of Polish aggression against Germany. The main one will be an attack against the German radio station Sender Gleiwitz in Silesia :

I1IbhCq.jpg

Gleiwitz Sender
a small group of German operatives, dressed in Polish uniforms will seize the Gleiwitz station and broadcast a short anti-German message in Polish. We're going to use some prisonners, who will be then executed by lethal injection, given gunshot wounds, and left dead at the scene. This way, it will appear they have been killed while attacking the station. The bodies could be subsequently presented as proof of the attack to the police and press.
- Quite smart...
- But not very subbtle, mein Führer. The international public might be very skeptical of our version of the incident...
- I don't care : I will provide a propagandistic casus belli. Its credibility doesn't matter. The victor will not be asked whether he told the truth.
Good work, mein lieber Heinrich. Have everything ready. I'll give you the "Go" order... soon."

OKW Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1938, August the 1st - 0800

Meeting between GeneralOberst Wilhelm Keitel, Chief of the OKW and Generalmajor Alfred Jodl, Chief of the OKW General Staff.

- "Jodl ! It has been confirmed : hostilities against Poland will start very soon.
- Do we have a date, Herr GeneralOberst ?
- Everything indicates on September the 1st. At first, the invasion was scheduled on the 26th August but it had to be delayed. Mobilization concerns as far as I can tell.
- General Fromm is experimenting problems... Unusual.
- Well... Just make sure WE don't experiment some ! Everything's ok on our side ?
- Alles klar, Herr General, but besides issuing directives from the Führer, we won't have much to do.

3Lcjqyq.jpg

OKW - Summer 1939
- We still have control of these SS-Units. I really don't like this idea of private army...
- Herr GeneralOberst, it's not a big deal : they aren't that many of them and all the major units of the Waffen-SS are already dispatched among Army formations for the on-coming campaign.
More important is to have a close look on our Panzertruppen. I'd like to have more of them.
- Mein lieber Jodl, we're going to see really soon if Guderian is right..."

MarineMinisterium, Berlin - 1939, August the 5th - 0900
Meeting between Admiral Raeder, CinC Navy (OberBefehlsHaber der Marine) and Generaladmiral Otto Schniewing, Chief of Naval Command Office.

- "Mein lieber Otto, es ist soweit. I just got Keitel on the phone : hostilities will start on September the 1st.
- Well... I won't say I'm surprized but is it really necessary ?
- Necessary or not, it's no longer our concern, Otto. The only important issue is this one : is the Kriegsmarine able to fullfil its role ?
Let's review the TO&E.

O6c2Xzx.jpg

Kriegsmarine - Summer 1939
- Our forces are ready, Admiral. I just hope that those fools in the Wilhelmstrasse remember we can't go toes-to-toes with the Royal Navy.
The MarineKommando 'West' of Admiral Saalwächter is the only real fighting force we possess. But it's mainly there to protect our coasts or to launch quick attacks against small enemy forces.
- Unfortunatly, you're right. However, we now have control of the naval aviation. With their new air-launched torpedoes, they can give a hard time to potential opponents. How many do we have ?
- Admiral, we currently have 8 Geschwader, stenFliegerGruppe 106, 306, 406, 506, 606, 706, 806 and 906 : all together 700 naval bombers (He 115) and 200 recon flyboats.
We can also rely on the 200 aircrafts of BordFliegerGruppe 196 and TrägerGruppe 186. Their crews haven't completed their full training programme but they are capable of performing missions. The weak point is the fighter cover. We have none and we have to call upon the Luftflotte 1 or 2 to get some...
- Anyhow, the Royal Navy will have a hard time if it comes to close. At least we should be able to close the danish straits.
- A good news for the Baltic fleet, Admiral.
- Yeap... Otherwise, Admiral Albrecht and his old ships might get in trouble. Are they still scheduled to make a port visit in Danzig by the end of the month ?
- Like every year, Admiral. The old KMS Schlesswig-Holstein will proudly show our colours...
- Cross your finger, mein lieber Otto. But talking about training, what's our situation ?

sGkFlak.jpg

Kriegsmarine Training & Doctrines
- Always the same problem, Admiral... money ! However, our standarts aren't that bad. Next month, we're going to begin a new training cyclus, starting with the submarine crews.
- Make sure battleships and cruisers crews get it as soon as possible. Quality is the only thing we have to match the outnumbering Royal Navy.
- I'm aware of that, Admiral, and so does Admiral Densch.
- Ach... Densch ! A good guy... and a tough mission. I wouldn't be in his shoes.
- By the way, Admiral, we need to give him a "Go" order.
- Do it ! I just hope Unternehmen 'Wunderland' will succeed. Let's have a quick review :

PzXoowj.jpg

Unternehmen 'Wunderland' begins...
- Unternehmen 'Wunderland' is the pre-war over-sea deployment of the Panzerschiff 'Admiral Graf Spee' and 4 Hilfskreutzer.
The 'Admiral Graf Spee' will move to Lisboa and from there, will conduct commerce raiding in the Atlantic. One HSK, the 'Thor', will do the same from Bissau, on the west-african coast.
The remaining HSKs, the 'Orion', 'Atlantis' and 'Widder', will rebase in GuangZhou and Haikou and will launch similar operations near the Malacca Strait and the coasts of India.
- At least, they'll have a quiet journey on their way to..."

Last edited:
Chapter 18 : Fall weiß

ReichsLuftFahrtMinisterium (Reich Aviation Ministry), Berlin - August the 23rd - 1130
Meeting between Reichsmarschall Göring, CinC Luftwaffe, and Oberst Hans Jeschonnek, Luftwaffen Chief of Staff.

- "You wished to see me, Herr ReichsMarschall ?
- In der Tat, Oberst Jeschonnek. Have you read the newspapers this morning ?
- You mean the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact ? It's almost impossible to miss, Herr ReichsMarschall.
And it will serve our needs very well, even if it's a bit "against nature". A non-aggression Pact with the Commies ! I hope the Führer knows what he's doing...

uzYGSa0.jpg

An agreement but for how long...?
- He does, believe me. But that's not the point.
This non-aggression Pact, Oberst Jeschonnek, means we have free hands with Poland, at least on the Soviets side. But it's of no garanty against France and Britain. On this point, the Führer is wrong : If we attack Poland, we're going to be at war with France and Britain, that's for sure !
I don't mind attacking Poland. But France, and mostly Britain, that's an other story...
I just called a friend of mine in Sweden, Mr Dahlerus. He's a businessman with a lot of contacts in Britain. He will come here in Germanyt to act as emissary and to try helping to solve this crisis.
However, according to our phone discussion, he doesn't think we can succeed. Britain wants peace but not at all costs and we've gone too far, I'm afraid...
- And when does "it" suppose to begin...?
- September the 1st... I want to be sure we're ready !

9FNvOL5.jpg

Luftwaffe - Summer 1939
- We are, Herr ReichsMarschall !
As you can see, 2 Luftflotten, 1. and 4., are commited to support "Fall weiß". It represents a force of 700 fighters (Me-109), 300 heavy-fighters (Me-110), 900 bombers (Do-17 or He-111) and 400 dive-bombers (Ju-87 'Stukas). We also have another 100 fighters (Me-190) and 300 bombers (Do-17, he-111 and Fw-200) of the different Ergänzungsgeschwader (replacement) to reinforce our units.
And don't forget the Luftflotte 2 and 3 on the western front. We have more than enough to support our troops, Herr ReichsMarschall !
- Supporting our ground forces is not the sole concern, Oberst Jeschonnek. Like I said, we are very likely to go to war with Britain and we have to prevent the british bombers to strike our country. I've promised the Führer !!!

NiU3zoo.jpg

Luftwaffen Doctrines
- Don't worry, Herr ReichsMarschall : we have enough airplanes and our crews know their job. We've just started a training cyclus for our ground crews and no doubt, the in-comming campaign will teach us a lot. We're going to be able to improve our doctrines once more !
- Well, don't forget that the opponent will learn too... What about the Flak ?
- We've got good anti-air defenses to protect our industries. Not enough I have to say but it's getting better, mainly due to an increase number of our good 88mm AA-gun. I wouldn't be in the shoes of a british bomber pilot...
- I hope you're right, Herr Oberst.
What's going on with the paratroopers ?
- The men are ready, both our and the ones from the Heer ; we've got enough transport airplanes...
- But...?
- but we're still waiting for the special material, gliders, engineer weaponry, etc, etc... from the WaffenAmt. They're in the final test phase but it will take some months until we get everything.
- That means we won't be able to use our paratroopers during this campaign ?
- Unfortunatly not, Herr ReichsMarschall. Unlesss you want to use your own personal regiment : FJ-Rgt 'General Göring'. They are the only ones to be fully combat-ready.
- I'll think about it. You can dismiss, Herr Oberst..."

OKH Hauptquartier, Berlin-Wünsdorf - 1939, August the 26th - 0900
General Franz Halder, Chief of the General Staff, meets GeneralLeutnant von Manstein, Chief of Staff HG 'Süd'.

- "Guten Tag, Herr GeneralLeutnant. Nice to see you here.
- Could you please stop pulling my leg, Herr General ?!!
- Huuu... I see. You've inherited of the friendliness of your boss, GeneralOberst von Rundstedt...
- Listen. I know you were, and still are, a strong opponent to my appointment as Chief of Staff of HGr 'Süd'. So can we stop this useless courtesy and come to the point ?
- Your reputation had preceded you, GeneralLeutnant. Everyone knows that you have made the Plan for Unternehmen 'Otto'... The sole plan available at that time.
- And I've worked on 'Fall grün' too !
- As well as 'Fall weiß'. I've studied your plan carefully and I want both of us to review it one last time.
- Aaahh... "It" is going to happen then... When ?
- In 6 days : September the 1st. The mobilization begins today.

MC1GKhf.jpg

Mobilizations begins : Things are getting serious...
It will require a few days before all missing personals join their units but I doubt our opponents will be in the same stade of readiness as we're going to be.
However, mobilization isn't very popular and people are going to be worry. War is a serious thing and that's why this campaign has to be quick.
- Hoping neither France nor Britain will intervene. Herr General Halder, do you seriously believe that ?
- They'll do something, that's for sure but if we can solve the "polish problem" really quick, it will still be time to settle peace with France and Britain. Over there, nobody really wants to die for Poland, you know...
- I wouldn't bet on that. Anyway, 'Fall weiß' could be completed in 2 weeks... 4 at the upmost.
- I'm all ears, GeneralLeutnant.
- The goal of our plan is double :
First, to catch the polish forces on our borders into 2 major encirclements. Doing this, we can avoid a slow withdrawal of the enemy forces behing the Warta, the Vistula and the Bug. If we can trap and destroy enemy forces BEFORE they can retreat, we will shorten the war for sure.
In the same time, we're going to strike a direct blow to the heart of the enemy... its capital, Warsaw ! The result will be devastating on their will to continue the fight.

1TxoxC0.jpg

Fall weiß - The Plan
We're going to use 2 Army Groups, the HeeresGruppe 'Nord' under GeneralOberst von Bock and the HeeresGruppe 'Süd' under GeneralOberst von Rundstedt.
It represents a force of nearly 650.000 men in 63 divisions, including 10 Panzer- and 4 motorized infantry divisions.
The air support will be provided by the Luftflotte 1 (General Kesselring) in Stettin and the Luftflotte 4 (General Löhr) in Breslau i.e. 2300 airplanes.
According to our last intelligence reports, we have identified 25 polish divisions facing us and their airforce is estimated 600 airplanes, mostly outdated, at the upmost.

jXbCBho.jpg

Heeresgruppe 'Nord'
Northern part of our plan, the HeeresGruppe 'Nord' (CoS General von Salmuth)represents a force of 24 divisions, including reserves, totalizing 270.000 men.
It comprises 2 armies, the 3. Armee and the 4. Armee, plus one army-sized Command, the FestungsKommandantur 'Küstrin'.

u505pbX.jpg

The main role being given to southern element, the HeeresGruppe 'Nord' hasn't been given a lot of reserve units. Furthermore, its right flank is strongly protected by our fortifications of the 'Oder Quadrilateral'.

fuB9jb4.jpg

Heeresgruppe 'Süd'
The main blow will be given by the HeeresGruppe 'Süd' (CoS General von Manstein), with its 360.000 troops into 39 divisions. Of the 14 armoured/motorized formations, 10 have been allocated to HGr 'Süd'.
It comprises of the 3 armies : the 8. Armee, 10. Armee and 14. Armee.

1RVhLo4.jpg

Because it's in charge of the main thrust, HGr 'Süd' has been given extra corps and reserve divisions, to support its advance and/or to secure rear areas. As CoS of HGr Süd, I've already allocated the XXII. AK to the 14. Armee sector, to support the attack along the slovakian border.

a36TU35.jpg

AOK 3
Isolated in East-Prussia, the 3. Armee of General von Küchler (CoS General von Böckmann) is one of the most powerful we deploy. It consists of 2 Armeekorps, the I. AK (General Petzel) and XXI. AK (General von Falkenhorst), plus 2 corps-sized sub-commands, the Gruppe 'Wodrig' 'led by General Wodrig and Gruppe 'Brand' (General Brand).
All together, 11 divisisons totalizing 105.000 men, not counting reserve elements, 206. ID, sent by HGr 'Nord'.
3. Armee's main objective is to push mainly southward, driving back polish forces behind the Vistula river, and to participate the main blow on Warsaw from the north. Bridgeheads on the Vistula must be seized in the region Lowicz to make a junction with our troops coming from the south.
In the same time, parts of the 3. Armee must reach the Niemen river in the region Augustow-Bialystok to establish a defense line against enemy units coming from the east.
3. Armee has also to send elements to take part on the assault against Danzig, in cooperation with units of 4. Armee.

9b2GjS0.jpg

AOK 4
Based in Pommern, 4. Armee is led by General von Kluge (CoS General Brennecke). It has 3 Armeekorps, the II. AK (General Strauss), the III. AK (General Haase) and the XIX. AK (mot.) of General Guderian, plus a corps-sized sub-command, the GrenzschutzAbschnittKommando 1 - GaK 1 - totalizing 88.000 men within 9 divisions.
4. Armee's main role is double : first it has to take Danzig from the west and to open a way into the polish corridor so that we can supply East-Prussia directly through land connexion.
In the meantime, 4. Armee has to punch a hole in the polish lines and to make a breakthrough toward Torun at first, and Lodz as final goal, meeting there elements of our 8. Armee. Once done, all polish forces in the Poznan area will be trapped.
Operations against Danzig will be supported by the Baltic Fleet.

6HUWVuu.jpg

FestungsKommandantur 'Küstrin'
Attached to the HG 'Nord', the FestungsKommandantur 'Küstrin', composed of 3 corps-sized sub-commands, the GaK 2, 12 and 13, totalizing 35.000 men.
In charge of defending the Oder Quadrilateral, it has no offensive role. Its main task in merely to make a secure junction between the HGr 'Nord' and 'Süd'.

Here's the general deployment along the borders :

bBJXS7p.jpg

Armies and Corps commanders have been given full autonomy to act as situation requires (Auftragstaktik).

JArjQbt.jpg

AOK 8
Based in lower Silesia, the 8. Armee of General Blaskowitz (CoS General Felber) is the northern element of HGr 'Süd'. It comprises 3 Armeekorps, the X. AK (General Ulex), XI. AK (General Leeb) and XIII. AK (General von Weichs), plus one corps-sized sub-command, the GaK 14. It represents a force of 63.000 men within 6 divisions.
Because of its small size, the 8. Armee has only one goal : moving forward toward Lodz, taking the city and waiting there for the elements of the 4. Armee to come. The 8. Armee is the southern pincer of the planned "Poznan Pocket".
During its move, the 8. Armee will also provide cover to the left flank of the 10. Armee. For this task, it has been given some light armoured elements and the motorized unit, the Leibstandarte-SS.

jbkltE3.jpg

AOK 10
In the upper Silesia, our spearhead : the 10. Armee under General von Reichenau (CoS General Paulus). It consists of 4 Armeekorps, the IV. AK (General von Schwedler) and the XIV. AK (General von Wietersheim), XV. AK (General Hoth) and XVI. AK (General Hoepner) - the last 3 AKs all mot. - totalizing 97.000 troops within 11 divisions, including 7 armoured/motorized divisions.
The role of the 10. Armee is quite simple and brutal : to achieve a breakthrough in the polish lines in the area Czestochova-Lubliniec and then to rush straigth ahead northward toward Warsaw, assaulting the capital from the south.
This must be done with maximum speed with as little concern as possible to its flanks. Blitzkrieg !!!

AK2Muxz.jpg

AOK 14
Last but not least, operating from the upper Silesia and from Slovakia, the 14. Armee of General List (CoS General von Mackensen). It comprises 3 Armeekorps, the VIII. AK (General Busch), XVII. AK (General Kienitz) and XVIII. AK (General Beyer), plus a corps-sized sub-command, the GaK 3. All together, a fighting force of over 110.000 men and 12 divisions.
The role of 14. Armee is double : first, it must try to encircle the polish forces in the Krakow area and to destroy them then. Doing this, it will also provide some sort of cover to the right flank of General von Reichenau's 10. Armee.
In the same time, like the 3. Armee in the north, the 14. Armee has to send elements in the region of Przemysl and to establish there a defense line against polish elements possibly coming from the east.

- Guter Plan, Herr GeneralLeutnant ! Our units have been in place in their second line positions for days now and they will go to their starting positions on August the 31st to avoid detection. We have build enough logistic depots to support the full operation without too much delays.
- Herr General Halder. I have no doubts it will succeed but the remaining question is : how long will it take ? It has to be quick so we can redeploy our troops to face France.
- Yeep... Time is the key. Anyway, the dice are rolling. "Alea Jacta Est" said someone...
- 'See you in Warsaw, Herr General..."

Last edited:
Every time I read one of your highly detailed updates, it makes me want to fire up ICE. keep up the good work!

Every time I read one of your highly detailed updates, it makes me want to fire up ICE. keep up the good work!

Well... For my art of play, ICE is the best modd I know (which doesn't mean the others are bad !!!). I just hope ICE 4 will be as good as 3.3.4.
My personal experience showed me that, unfortunatly, "better" (or "newer") is often the enemy of "good".

You're really stepping up your game with these graphics Nicegil. I really like the organizational diagrams of your various unit formations and all the detail and care you're putting into them. I also noticed your nice 3d arrows on the invasion map of Poland. I have to agree with misterbean as well, you're making me want to crack out my copy if ICE too (oh right, I'm too busy to do that). All in all, this is great stuff: fun to read, fun to look at and fun to look forward to more.

Freakin LOVE IT!!! :)
Glad to please you !
It's nice (and encouraging) to see that people have as much fun reading this AAR that I have doing it, despite the monster work it represents.

You're really stepping up your game with these graphics Nicegil. I really like the organizational diagrams of your various unit formations and all the detail and care you're putting into them. I also noticed your nice 3d arrows on the invasion map of Poland.
And that's all YOUR fault, robw963 !!! :laugh:
With your graphism skills, you've brought up the level of AARland so high that we, poor AAR contributors, had to do something to try not being so ridiculous. I wish I had bought "Graphisms for dummies" (assuming it exists...).

I have to agree with misterbean as well, you're making me want to crack out my copy if ICE too (oh right, I'm too busy to do that).
Yeap. Despite all weaknesses of HOI3, ICE 3.3.4 is the "ideal" tool for me, with its stable historical environment and its plethora of differents units (flavor !!!).

All in all, this is great stuff: fun to read, fun to look at and fun to look forward to more.
As far as I could see with my first trials of war reports/updates, not to mention my own personal life (wife, kids, job...), this AAR might last for a while.

Excellent! Can't wait for the invasion to begin! I also must reinstall ICE.....love your graphics and photos

Excellent! Can't wait for the invasion to begin! I also must reinstall ICE.....love your graphics and photos
ICE (as 3.3.4) is a personal choice. This forum is full of great modds, each with their own objectives and/or tendencies.

I'm glad you're enjoying this AAR but now, things are getting serious. To paraphrase Mr Churchill :

"You were given the choice between war and dishonour. You chose dishonour, and you will have...

war !"

Last edited:
Chapter 19 : War !!!

KMS Schlesswig-Holstein, Bay of Danzig - 1939, September the 1st - 0515

- "Meine Herren, es ist soweit... Begin !
- Zu Befehl, Kapitän.
Conn to firing control...
- Firing control...
- Firing control, target are the westerplatte fortifications. Bearing 315.
- Target Westerplatte fortification, bearing 315, Aye !
Turret A ! Bearing 315, range 2500 m, elevation 0... load HE !
Conn... Target acquired. Ready to fire !
- Conn to firing control : Open fire !!!"

War has begun !!!

ZhbgGPD.jpg

"[]... This night for the first time Polish regular soldiers fired on our own territory. Since 5:45 a.m. we have now been returning the fire ! Henceforth, bomb will be met with bomb...[]"
A. Hitler to the Reichstag - September 1, 1939

OKW Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1939, September the 1st - 1230
Meeting between General Wilhelm Keitel, Chief of the OKW und General Alfred Jodl, Chief of the OKW General Staff.

- "Mein lieber Jodl, sorry to mess your lunch but I had to see you.
- No big deal, Herr General. Any concerns in Poland ?
- Not that I know. It's too early to have an accurate picture of the situation but the first reports are encouraging.
No, the problem is elsewhere.
- ..........???
- The Führer was wrong : we're now at war with France and Britain !!!

Last edited:
This night for the first time Polish regular soldiers fired on our own territory. Since 5:45 a.m. we have now been returning the fire ! Henceforth, bomb will be met with bomb
He's such a LIAR!! I'm going to have to root for the "enemy" on this one Nicegil...Go Poland!! (even though winning is completely hopeless).

(but i do love the dialogue just the same)

He's such a LIAR!!
I understand what you mean : I've watched the full speech (30') and it's full of crap of this kind. However, on a "Real Politik" point of view, it was a good "Maskirovka", enabling other countries pretending to believe (or not to believe) this "story" and to take their own decision without losing their face.

I'm going to have to root for the "enemy" on this one Nicegil...Go Poland!! (even though winning is completely hopeless).
(but i do love the dialogue just the same)
Back to the game... If I were you, I wouldn't bet too much money on Poland :unsure: but I see you're already aware of that.
On the other hand, playing "historical" changes parameters (no optimized mega-super-strong Panzerarmies !) and this campaign won't be as easy as some players are used to.
Furthermore, I try to stick to the Plan which makes things harder.

Last edited:
No heavy industry emphasis or totaler krieg yet?
Until quite late in the war (1942-43), the german gouvernment was very much concerned about the population being as untouched by the war as possible. That's why consumers goods oriented production kept a very high level up until the disaster of Stalingrad.
At the same period, (Feb. 43), Goebbels, in his famous speech at the Sportspalast, declared the so-called "Totaler Krieg".

Last edited:
Fall weiß (1939)
September 1st

OKH Hauptquartier, Berlin-Wünsdorf - 1939, September the 2nd - 0100
Meeting between GeneralOberst von Brauchitsch, Chief of the OKH, und General Franz Halder, Chief of the General Staff.

- "Still collecting the reports, General Halder ?
- Jawohl, Herr GeneralOberst. So far, it's going well.
- That is ?
- Started at 0600 on 17 different points, our offensive met very little resistance so far.

193909011border.jpg

German troops crossing the polish border
The first to collapse was the resistance at Czestochowa from a polish infantry division. It arrived in the area just 2 or 3 hours AFTER General Leeb's XI. AK launched its own attack, supported by the Pz.-Abt. 25. The Brandenburgers already have infiltred the defense positions too and by 1100, the polish division was retreating. This short fight, however, was sufficient to desorganize our attacking units. Nevertheless, a breach has been made in the polish line of defense and the XIV. and XV. AK. (mot) are rushing into it. Elements of the Leibstandarte are close behind.
North-West from Czestochowa, in Wielun, X. AK from General Ulex is progressing and the XIII. AK from General von Weichs will soon be in position to attack Sieradz.
South-East from Czestochowa, in Lubliniec, the infantry divisions of the XVI. AK (mot) have opened the way to the armoured columns of the 1. and 4. PzD.
In those 3 sectors, the Luftwaffe has made over 1000 sorties to support our ground troops, without meeting any great air opposition.

193909012stukas.jpg

"Ob Figuren, Benzin, Bomben oder Brot, wir bringen Polen den Tod"
Unexpected, the Pz.-Aufkl.-Abt 23, found the sector of Ostrow Wlpk totally undefended. We think the polish division formerly defending this sector has been withdraw recently and was the one met at Czestochowa. Anyhow, the Pz.-Aufkl.-Abt 23 is now rushing toward Kalisz.
It seems that in less than 24 hours, the polish defense positions in front of the 8. and 10. Armee have been dislocated. We have identified some polish divisions coming in, in an attempt to close the gap but if we manage to keep our momentum, we could be in Warsaw in less than a week...!!!
- What about the 14. Armee ?
- General List launched an attack all along the slovakian border : in the sector or Krosno-Nowy Targ, the Poles had only 1 mountain division to face General Beyer's XVIII. AK, supported by the two Gebirgsjäger-Division of the Army reserve. According to the reports, the Poles are in full retreat and the 4. LPzD and 2. Pzd are by-passing them left and right.

193909013motorcycletroo.jpg

Motorcycle troops of the 4th light PzD
South from Krakow, the 62. ID has crushed the polish defenses and the XVII. AK is advancing toward the city
In the sector of HGr. 'Süd', there's only one stiff resistance at Rybnik and Orlová, both on the Polish side of the Oder river, which slowed down the attack of VIII. AK. This was expected however and the VIII. AK is already by-passing this maul of resistance from the north. After the successful assault of the IV. AK on the city of Katowice, the way is opened for the 5. PzD to exploit.

YptyrS0.jpg

SitRep - September 2nd, 1939
- And in the sector of HGr 'Nord' ?
- Von Küchler's 3. Armee is doing well :
Near the lithuanian border, the Gruppe 'Brand' is advancing toward Sudauen and Osowiec without meeting strong resistance.
XXI. AK is heading south after having crushed the polish lines at Prasnysz, north of Warsaw.
The main strike of the 3. Armee, made by the I. AK and reserves, has been successful too : 61. and 217. IDs launched a powerful assault against the polish defenses at Rypin and at 1800, the Poles were is total desarray. General Petzel immediatly launched the Pz-Verband 'Kempf' to exploit the gap and the 1. Kav-Bgd was commited from the Army reserve to support the move. Left to 61. and 217. IDs, the other infantry division of the I. AK, the 11. ID, met surprisingly an other polish mountain division in Dzialdowo.
Our last intelligence reports showed the sector empty... The Poles conducted some delaying action and are now retreating south.

193909015infantrymarchi.jpg

11. ID on the move
To the far right of the 3. Armee, the Gruppe 'Wodrig' attacked in Brodnica and Gruziaddz. The assault was successful too and both 1. and 12. IDs are moving south, pursuing the polish forces. In the same time, the 'Danzig' division has started its attack against the city of Danzig. The urban environment favoured the defenders and despite numerous air sorties of the Luftwaffe (over 600) and naval fire support, the resistance shows no sign of exhaustion.
- Not that bad... And von Kluge ?
- His 4. Armee, better said the Gak 1, is also stopped in front of Danzig. However, the II. AK managed to break the polish lines south of the city, at Koscierzyna. The XIX. AK (mot) of General Guderian has done the same in Tulocha. Heavy casualties on the polish side !
- Ach, Heinz !!! Now he can play with his toys...

193909016motorizedinfan.jpg

2. ID (mot) rushing towards Wagrowiec
- He's like a fish in the water. He also found an unexpected hole in the polish lines at Wagrowiec and he immediatly sent a motorized division to exploit this mistake.
III. AK of General Haase is still moving to the front line but it will soon be in position to strike Wronki from the north.
- Well... Really not bad for a first day. Any signs of polish aviation ?
- Almost none, Herr GeneralOberst. Some of their fighters have been sighted over Lubliniec and Breslau but our own fighter drove them back with quite heavy casualties. Each time they tried to launch some air attacks with their bombers, mostly based in Lodz, they were "greeted" by our air defense fighters. We don't have total air superiority but very close...
- What about our casualties ? And their ?
- Too early to say, Herr GeneralOberst, but according to the first reports, we can assume ours are light : a few hundreds...
Concerning the Poles, alone in both sectors of Tuchola and Lubliniec, they've lost over 1000 men.
I have to say, Herr GeneralOberst, that I'm quite amazed that the Polish Army didn't show any sign of mobilizing recently. It really seems they were caught absolutely unprepared.
- That's the way it looks like, mein lieber Halder : we caught them with their pants down, so to say. And now, we're going to push them !
- I just hope we won't have any surprizes from the Frenchs...

Last edited: