• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"As a followup on my Industrilization Encouragement Act, I wish to propose a bill which will further the ambitions for industrilization even more.

This bill will;

1) Lower taxes for the rich strata by additional 15% to encourage investments of the released economic capacity into industrilization.
2) Lower taxes for the middle class by 7,5% to increase their buying power, which will in turn increase the demand in factories.
3) Lower taxes for the poor strata by 5 % again to increase buying power and increase demand in goods.

As taxes are lowered for middle and poor strata they will be able to buy more goods, which will in turn create a greater demand, and with a lowering of the tax for the rich strata, they will be able to fill that demand eventually creating jobs and thus economic prosperity and indutrilization. This bill i wish to call Industrial Encouragement Act II.

- President Romano

Remember, Senor, that you were the Treasury Minister, and would never have been President without that office to propel to national fame ((along with a coup; and I think Carrow may be a moderate Nationalist, though I hope he changes parties soon, now that the Nationalistas are bickering)).

I support your proposal, Senor Presidente, and I hope it will come before the Congresa! This bill is a major tax cut for all Chileans, and would spur economic growth, and a possible recovery.

I do not seek the end of opposition, but merely the end of un-democratic organizations. The Partido Liberal proved itself the most un-democratic party in its effort to install itself permanently with the Badajoz coup. It is not liberal ideas which must be agitated against, but the existing Liberale organization! Furthermore, I do not impugn any individual member of the government, I just encourage the Preisdente to be vigilant in his defense of democracy as we thought all was well with the Badajoz Administration until it attempted a coup.

I am a moderate Nacionalista and former Liberale; my views are rather liberal yet at the same time rather nationalistic. I believe in democracy, freedom, and as little government intervention in the economy as possible, however I believe there should be a party that should and will object to some bills and make it their goal to see them repealed if passed. I also believe that there should be strong support for the military, if and when the time comes when negotation is out of the question and the last remaining option is war.

But you continue to ignore Zepeda's involvement, and hwo the Partido Nationale endorsed his presidential run; no party is free from that blight on our history. However, to condemn myself, and other Liberales, all of whom love liberty, freedom, democracy, republic, and the rights of all men, for simply being a member of the Partido Liberal, is an insult that is undue and unfounded. I do see that Badajoz did abuse power, and that should be condemned; but the Liberales in general opposed his coup attempt, as did the Conservadores and Nationalistas. Yes I may have supported the coup early on, but I became wary of the despotic and tyrannical statements of Zepeda; but remember that Carrera, a Nationalista, and a host of other leaders from all parties, at one point or another supported the coup as well.

((Sorry I didn't update last night; I got caught up in something. I'll update tonight. I haven't played through yet, so you can continue to announce bills/policies until then.))

"Senor Romano, I am willing to back your act on the condition that tarrifs be increased by 5% to both encourage domestice industry and to fill the budget shortfall. If that measure is included, I will back it. Otherwise, I cannot agree."

Eberado de Cary
Senator for Valparaiso

Romano 1851: Darwin Said​

The first year of Romano's second term began with a budgetary crisis. The 15% tax cut for the rich strata, passed by the Congreso as the Industrial Encouragement Act, pushed the daily balance of the Chilean budget into the red, forcing the Romano administration to increase the revenue tariff to fantastic new heights to maintain a balanced budget. However, the gap in the budget was not solely as a result of tax cuts. A massive upswing in army recruiting drove military spending to dizzying new heights. At the end of the year, Minister Carrera informed the President that Chile could recruit no fewer than five new brigades. If raised, these five brigades would bring Chile's total to 13, making the Chilean military the largest in South America. This was combined with the May adoption of new mobile defense tactics by the military; using lessons learned in the last two wars, the generalty believed that they could combine mobile and earthwork defenses to create more effective counterattacks.

However, whatever the Ministry of War might have wanted, the Treasury had other plans. Minister Armando de Vasces informed the President that not only could Chile not afford five new brigades, the country could not afford to entertain Romano's Second Industrialization Act. Reluctantly, Romano was forced to withdraw the bill in the face of fiscal reality.

Of course, Chile's internal struggles were hardly the talk of the South America. In early 1851, Brazil declared war on Bolivia for La Paz. The war would continue through the end of the year with substantial Brazilian gains, but still no end in sight. The disruptive effects on local trade were said to have worsened Chile's budgetary problems. However, the most shocking events of the year were yet to come.

In September, a crisis broke out in the Chilean educational system, much to Minister Disraeli's dismay. A leaked copy of an essay drafted by a British naturalist, one Mr. Charles Darwin, found its way into the hands of a local journal in Santiago, which published the work under newly laxed press laws. This essay, which the rest of the world has thus far taken little notice of, explains that living creatures have characteristics that heritable (ie: can be passed from parent to child) and that these heritable characteristics can increase a creature's chances of reproducing. The only logical consequence of these two facts, says the essay, is the eventual dominance of the traits that increase chances of reproduction. Combined with the random and spontaneous generation of new traits, Darwin postulates that this process led to creation of new species throughout the world. He calls this process "evolution."

This new hypothesis has captured the imagination of the Chilean scientific world in an extremely short time, and a debate has now broken out between the secular scientists, who endorse the theory, and the clergy, who believe this doctrine violates biblical truth.

The lower house has sent the upper house a bill proposing to ban this "Darwinism."

-------------------------

President Romano ((Pallen)), you've got to choose if you want to constitute those new five new brigades. We now have the tech to make cavalry brigades. I should warn you that the country is already in dire financial straits; you may have to put a bill before to the Congreso to fund the new brigades if you want to constitute them.

Everyone else, vote yes/no on the Military Transparency Act and the Darwin Act.

The Military Transparency Act will by law require at least two generals to be members of opposition parties.

The Darwin Act will ban the teaching of Darwinism in Chilean schools.

Sample Ballot:
Military Transparency Act: Abstain
Darwin Act: Abstain

((Hasn't the Military Transparency Act already been voted down?))

Military Transparency Act: NO
Darwin Act: Abstain

It saddens me to see so many people voting to keep our people ignorant. This is science! We cannot ban the future, and if we ban this, where will it stop? Will we begin to ban political parties and newspapers that do not say what we want them to say?

((What about the railroads and the capitalists?))

No railroads, some more capitalists than there were. Did you have a specific question?

No railroads, some more capitalists than there were. Did you have a specific question?

((Even with an interventinalist economy you can build railroads, and generally a small deficit over a few years makes little difference in the game, and the giant boost the investment in the railroads should give a big plus. I was talking about the government building the railroads why havent you done that?))

Alejandro Garcia's vote:
Darwin Act: NO
Military Transparancy Act: SI

Transparency Act: Nay
Darwin Act: Nay

Just because we disagree with an idea doesn't mean we have any right to silence it. I will not support any such bans!

((I just realized something: wasn't I the 1000th poster, too? Now I am 1000 and 2000! My powers are unstoppable!!!))

Last edited: