Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Damn, this is so well timed that it's beautiful!

Yeah, I think we got the bastards good with this one... all of the MIRVS made it to the release-point and separated:

G031_Prix3.jpg

Take THAT, you Prix!

One million km to go, and no PD fire yet... I think we lucked out and took out his PD emplacement with those decoy rounds!

Mhahahahah!

Meanwhile, in the Prix base:

"Sir, they've stopped firing for over an hour now. Maybe they've given up?"

*WARNING: incoming missiles detected.*

"Scratch that, sir - I see a MASSIVE BLIP on my radar now..."

:p

Every MIRV warhead made it to the target and all hit the second PDC. Didn't kill it... :eek: ... but eighty strength-4 hits have got to hurt.

One million km to go, and no PD fire yet... I think we lucked out and took out his PD emplacement with those decoy rounds!

I'd almost be disappointed if that's the case, I wanted to see the mixed salvo perform against an active PD system. I'd be interested to see if the Prix prioritised the bombardment missiles and size 4 homing missiles over the equally powerful MIRV sub-munitions.

Edit: Wow, 80 strength 4 hits should have done a lot more than that given what the strength 1 hits did to the other PDC. What about the rest of the attack?

Nine strength-9 hits on the Khan with our Monitor's bombardment rockets. Didn't kill it, either, but I'll bet they've got a splitting headache. Missiles still piling in onto the waypoint. No PD fire at all yet. Not a single shot.

In general, this shows that it's a darn good idea to have missiles with differing speeds.

In general, this shows that it's a darn good idea to have missiles with differing speeds.

I think it also shows that while we can empty an enemy squadron's magazines on decoys, we might be better off trying to punch through PDC defences. Especially if we can use that difference in missile speed to launch multiple volleys from the slow-reload bombardment ship and still have them synchronise.

Our fleet salvos scored 49 strength-4 hits on the Khan... didn't kill it. Christ, these buggers are tough! Strength-5 secondary explosion, though, so he's badly hurt. Releasing the Decoys now.

I think it also shows that while we can empty an enemy squadron's magazines on decoys, we might be better off trying to punch through PDC defences. Especially if we can use that difference in missile speed to launch multiple volleys from the slow-reload bombardment ship and still have them synchronise.

Yeah; firing a gazillion single-missile salvos is of course fine in this kind of situation, but if time is a constraint it just can't be done, and you're better off trying to get through the PD as soon as possible, meaning as many missiles coming to range simultaneously as possible.

So, all these salvos were launched at 100m range? Impressive. I should try this in my game.

9 X size-9 not destroying Kahn isn't that surprising, though half a dozen more should do the trick, in my experience, and based on our first battle.
On the other hand, 80 size-4 didn't annihilate the 2nd PDC? o_O That's a tough one... I'm surprised it's only a 14.100 tons fortress. Definitely has more armor than the 1st one.
Still, that's good to know, because odds are we'll find some of these two in other Prix systems.

What I'm wondering is if they ran out of missiles at our previous assault, or if we managed to destroy the anti-missile PDC first.

EDIT: I was wrong about "another 5-6 size-8 will take Khan out, apparently... Tough buggers indeed. It's a wonder we took the Yuan out in one hit.

:rofl: Our Decoys killed them both... that's all three of them, destroyed by decoy missiles!

I'm still a bit worried about those size-24 missiles parked in orbit. I guess we'll have to go in and try to PD them to death.

So, all these salvos were launched at 100m range? Impressive. I should try this in my game.

Yeah, I'm still parked about 95 m-km away. Moving in now, though.

Our fleet salvos scored 49 strength-4 hits on the Khan... didn't kill it. Christ, these buggers are tough! Strength-5 secondary explosion, though, so he's badly hurt. Releasing the Decoys now.

That's at least 280 points of damage, and 320 on the PDC, before even considering the decoy damage. They're tough alright.

Yeah; firing a gazillion single-missile salvos is of course fine in this kind of situation, but if time is a constraint it just can't be done, and you're better off trying to get through the PD as soon as possible, meaning as many missiles coming to range simultaneously as possible.

I think it might actually take less missiles to just go for the kill, if we're right in saying the first PDC killed was an anti-missile installation. It might be easier to just take it out, rather than empty it.

Perhaps we should deliberately design size 8 missiles with different speeds, to try and get three or more salvos all arriving 90 m-km away at the same time? We've got a one stage size 8, a size 4 booster with size 4 payload, throw in a size 6 booster and size two payload and whatever else we think of and we could be in business.

:rofl: Our Decoys killed them both... that's all three of them, destroyed by decoy missiles!

I'm still a bit worried about those size-24 missiles parked in orbit. I guess we'll have to go in and try to PD them to death.

is there a rock in front to absorb them or maybe a couple of fighters?

Our decoys shall blot out the sun!

is there a rock in front to absorb them or maybe a couple of fighters?

Size-24 Prix missiles must have at least a size-36 bang, and there's a stack of 10 of them, that I can see. Possibly more that I can't see. No Rock could take that punishment. I'll send in the whole fleet, and try to shoot them down with interlocking PD fire before they can reach me.

Size-24 Prix missiles must have at least a size-36 bang, and there's a stack of 10 of them, that I can see. Possibly more that I can't see. No Rock could take that punishment. I'll send in the whole fleet, and try to shoot them down with interlocking PD fire before they can reach me.

Is it possible that they're just sitting there, for example as leftover from a battle, rather than an active threat?

Is it possible that they're just sitting there, for example as leftover from a battle, rather than an active threat?

Didn't we come across a dead in the water size 24 in the middle of nowhere way back just after we first encountered the Prix?

Whats the speed of those missiles?