• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to see Scandinavia. I must agree with everyone else: Prussia seems to be doomed. Scandinavia will be a nice ally though in case relations with Russia ever go sour.

Having just read this I must say I am very impressed by it! :D

Excellent alternative history and great narrative! :)

Having just read this I must say I am very impressed by it! :D

Excellent alternative history and great narrative! :)

Thank you!

The story has a lot more to cover and shall only hopefully get better with each passing breath.

Oscar II eh? What happened to his elder brother, Charles XV?

Oscar II eh? What happened to his elder brother, Charles XV?

Accidents can happen - though as of right now Charles XV is still alive.

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial
An Alternative History Affair

Chapter 10: Of War & Peace
Prelude to Madness​

The beginning of 1851 was suppose to be like any other, and it began that way, but the events of other countries were beginning to heavily sway France’s attention from inaction to action. In the late days of December 1850, a British ship was intercepted off the coast of West Africa near the French colony of Ghana. The British ship was stopped and ruthlessly searched by the crew of the French ship, an act of war that was later condemned by Paris. Though an act of war, Britain’s game was now discovered.

The captain aboard the British ship carried secret documents discussing Britain’s plan to launch a new coalition of nations against France’s continuing and growing control over Europe. The document was quickly delivered back to Paris; in which the contents of the letter were examined. References could clearly be made out that Britain was tempting the nations of Russia, Prussia, Austria, and the Ottoman Empire.

France could simply declare war, though she would further look like an aggressor and possibly further agitate nations, bringing them into Britain’s sphere. An aggressive but passive approach was to be taken, possibly to persuade nations that were being influenced by Britain that she was a bad choice. On February 2nd, 1851 a perfect opportunity arose for France to flex its muscle – and not act as an aggressor. The Ottoman Empire declared war on Egypt, which still controlled parts of Palestine.

Though France was slow to react, she would eventually act on July 15th with a declaration of war against the Ottoman Empire. Part of the reason for the delay, was the construction of additional war ships and repairing of current warships slated for the Mediterranean Fleet. The actual invasion force had already been in place for months, in Tunis a 36,000 strong cavalry force had been keeping peace within the land. This force was quickly dispatched to the border of Tripoli.

The war would be relatively brief and actual involve zero fighting between the Ottomans and the French. Even with the French navy threatening the Dardanelles, the Ottomans refused to act. By December 1st, the war would be over and Egypt’s territory and control over Palestine would remain unscathed. The war though would cost France diplomatically, the Ottomans would move closer into Britain’s sphere.

Last edited:
Prelude to madness? That doesn't sound good (from your point of view, that is. As a ReadAAR, I'm looking forward to seeing you struggle epically for survival ;) ).

The Question is... why move to a war which you would not even try to win?

The war with the Ottomans? Preserving Egypt is a lofty object, and felt like an easy war - it was. Though its in-game consequences will be...fun.

Prelude to madness? That doesn't sound good (from your point of view, that is. As a ReadAAR, I'm looking forward to seeing you struggle epically for survival ;) ).

The war will not be fun, it will be time consuming, it will cause a lot of war exhaustion, but in the end, France will not prevail! We must exceed Emperor Napoleon I!

The war will not be fun, it will be time consuming, it will cause a lot of war exhaustion, but in the end, France will not prevail! We must exceed Emperor Napoleon I!

Hopefully that doesn't mean exceeding him in the number of widows created, or debt accumulated ;)

:D

Well I admire your honesty, can't say the troops will be too thrilled to here it though! ;)

I just re-read that. NOT isn't suppose to be in there. This is why I shouldn't reply to stuff early in the morning before actually eatting breakfast. France WILL prevail! Propaganda for the win!

I just re-read that. NOT isn't suppose to be in there. This is why I shouldn't reply to stuff early in the morning before actually eatting breakfast. France WILL prevail! Propaganda for the win!

Hahaha! Good to know!

I usually post updates at about 2AM so I know the feeling - luckily no one reads them til the morning so I have ample time to correct endless slips of phrase that plague my work - if I had a normal work pattern I dare to think what people would think of my writing!

Interesting. France's intentions seem honorable, maybe it will pull some countries like Prussia and Russia to its sphere? I'm curious about the next update.

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial
An Alternative History Affair

Chapter 11: Seven Reasons for Treason
Madness Begins​

Two days had passed since magnificent celebration of the New Year held at Versailles. The shattering of the newish feeling of the year would happen relatively quickly. With the recent expansion of the French Empire, at the hands of her enemies, a growing majority of noble men were concerned that France was playing with fire and was about to be burned. Fearing such a majority, the nobles helped elect a great portion to the Senate. The control of the Senate by the Bonapartists fell from an overwhelming fifty-two percent to a more reasonable 48.62; while the Conservative and Reactionary parties carried 39.92 and 8.82 respectively.

Whatever dire consequences these warnings from the Senate would have were not heeded at Versailles by the court of Napoleon II. A more pressing matter than the Senate had risen, one that would certainly anger the Conservative and Reactionaries who wished to stop further conflict. On January 6th, 1852, the British ambassador to France, a Henry Richard Charles Wellesley (a nephew of the Duke of Wellington) delivered a letter explaining a state of war existed between the nation of Great Britain and France. Holding back much anger, the palace guards allowed Wellesley to leave Versailles without being arrested.

France and the Napoleonic administration had been planning on another war with England’s as soon as the first war had been concluded in November 1846. Orders were quickly dispatched by express rider to the armies to move into their pre-designated spots for a second invasion of the British Isles. News would soon reach Versailles that would require the countermanding of the previous orders. Britain had assembled a might coalition to combat the “aggressive nature of Napoleon II, who is no better than his bastard of a father” according to the London Times. One by one, the ambassadors of Prussia, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, and the Ottoman Empire stated that a declaration of war existed between France and their respective states. Though one particular nation would wait until all other nations had stated their intent, and that nation was Russia; who ending up announcing a declaration of war existed with France on January 8th.

Immediately dispatched were sent to the French ambassadors within our allies at Washington, Bern, Munich, Copenhagen, Lisbon and Athens. Napoleon II had worked hard to improve his relations with the rest of Europe, something his father had ignored or blatantly refused by appointing Bonaparte family members as kings of existing or newly created countries. The work vested into such a task was ruined within minutes, as the United States, Switzerland, Bavaria and Scandinavia refused to aid France in its defense. Only the miniscule Portugal and even minuter Greece – the countries with the most to gain from a French victory – dared to aid her.

Though one positive event did slip through the turbulent times without much fight from the conservative and reactionary base, on January 7th, a universal healthcare (trinket) reform was passed.

Last edited:
So much for the wedding with Scandinavia! Is the French navy capable of matching the Royal Navy?

The navy is capable of preventing an invasion, however its task is now daunting. Compared to the previous war with Britain, the Navy's task was easy. Now with other powers with a decent navy, I'll have to chose my naval tasks wisely.

The wedding with Scandinavia was to Prince Oscar II; however the Danish crown is in control of Scandinavia. This may change.

The United Kingdom, Russia, Prussia, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, and the Ottoman Empire :eek:

May God have mercy on us all...

Status
Not open for further replies.