• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sadly, you won't be able to release Byzantium. Everything the Ottomans own is a core of the Empire, so the WS would be far too high. (Probably. I've actually never tried it.)

Sadly, you won't be able to release Byzantium. Everything the Ottomans own is a core of the Empire, so the WS would be far too high. (Probably. I've actually never tried it.)

I never tested it either, but if it means I just have to control the entire Ottoman empire... well so be it :D

An interesting turn of events. It's too bad that you probably won't be able to release the Byzantines. Oh well, make the Sultan bow before the king of England and France.

or you can realeas all the other small balkan nations that have fallen to the ottomans and their bastered sultans! thus gain allies for a short period probably in the balkan and you will be counted as a regional strong power in the balkan and have a power base to launch crusades and retake the holy land from there ;)

An interesting turn of events. It's too bad that you probably won't be able to release the Byzantines. Oh well, make the Sultan bow before the king of England and France.

or you can realeas all the other small balkan nations that have fallen to the ottomans and their bastered sultans! thus gain allies for a short period probably in the balkan and you will be counted as a regional strong power in the balkan and have a power base to launch crusades and retake the holy land from there ;)

Well I'm more thinking about Derahan idea. I'm not interested at conquering new territories while I have so much to do in France. So for now I'll try to have more christian kingdoms free in the balkans if I can't free the Byzantines ;)

Then later I really might launch a quick crusade just to take the holy lands (and maybe give them to the byzantines too if I was able to free them)

Last edited:

This post was my 400th :D

1442 - 1444 : the last crusade part II

In the first half of 1442, the war in the East was going well. By June, every last bit of Ottoman troops was destroyed in Asia Minor.

The situation in June 1442

Then I had to land in the Balkans and Greece. There, war was much more difficult as more Ottomans troops were stationned here. In January 1444, I have been able to take a stronghold in Greece, but my different attempts at crossing the sea of Marmara was always followed by a retreat in Adia Minor...

I clearly needed more troops, but I began to run out of money and available men.

This crusade was far from over

In december of this same year, I was still unable to obtain a clear win against their armies. It was mostly still a balanced war. The problem was that war is now raging for some time ! And it begins to cost me a lot...

State of the war in december 1444

The two Kingdoms in december 1444

So what do you think guys ? Should I keep fighting for Byzantium ? I already know I am able to ask for the freedom of Bulgaria... Is it worth it to fight for the Eastern Roman Empire whatever the costs ?

Last edited:
In a role playing sense I think that any monarch of France, Britain and eventually the lowlands would see themselves as the successor of the Roman Empire, at least in the west along a Charlemagne fashion
Therefore I reckon they would see it as their duty to fight the Turk and defend Christendom :)
I also agree with your post about making this AAR in two parts, winning the 100 years war and then further expansion. I also agree with limited expansion along a more historical route, as opposed to world conquest. Too many AAR's lose readability for me by making completely unrealistic conquests such as asians conquering Rome.
I greatly admire this AAR :)

Liberate the Eastern Roman Empire. Also, I do think you should have this in two parts as well. As for not turning this into a World Conquest, that is not a good idea, but do not restrain yourself either. If it becomes a World Conquest then it becomes one, but do not shoot for it.

I say try to release Byzantium! Keep the war going for as long as necessary.

how much does it cost to release bysantium?
and anyway they will only get greece as they lose their wrong culture cores upon annexation

In a role playing sense I think that any monarch of France, Britain and eventually the lowlands would see themselves as the successor of the Roman Empire, at least in the west along a Charlemagne fashion
Therefore I reckon they would see it as their duty to fight the Turk and defend Christendom :)
I also agree with your post about making this AAR in two parts, winning the 100 years war and then further expansion. I also agree with limited expansion along a more historical route, as opposed to world conquest. Too many AAR's lose readability for me by making completely unrealistic conquests such as asians conquering Rome.

Agreed. 100%.

well as said in so many post above i to dont wanna see a world conquest, if your done hwit 100 years war and crusade and make another part, go for recreating the historical british empire and its boundaries up to 1821 (which would include the whole USA during that time if they dont revolt that's if. or you can just recreat the Charlemagne empire or if you wanna do a funny thing, recreat the roman empire then just sit aroudn the middeterain and do nothing for the last 200+ years....boring idea right? :rofl:

Okay then i'll do a second part after that. Probably not really the same structure, as an AAR on 300 years won't need as much updates as a game on 60 years...

Thanks so much, probably the nicest thing I've ever read about my AARs :D

Liberate the Eastern Roman Empire. Also, I do think you should have this in two parts as well. As for not turning this into a World Conquest, that is not a good idea, but do not restrain yourself either. If it becomes a World Conquest then it becomes one, but do not shoot for it.

Well I won't try :) I'd rather have territories all around the world and recreating the British colonial empire, much more cool to see on a global map :cool:

I say try to release Byzantium! Keep the war going for as long as necessary.

Then war it will be... Let's risk to doom ourselves as long as it's in the name of the Lord !

how much does it cost to release bysantium?
and anyway they will only get greece as they lose their wrong culture cores upon annexation

74% war score ! So I have to totally crush the Turks to be able to do it... They won't release them that easily !

Agreed. 100%.

Then will do :)

well as said in so many post above i to dont wanna see a world conquest, if your done hwit 100 years war and crusade and make another part, go for recreating the historical british empire and its boundaries up to 1821 (which would include the whole USA during that time if they dont revolt that's if. or you can just recreat the Charlemagne empire or if you wanna do a funny thing, recreat the roman empire then just sit aroudn the middeterain and do nothing for the last 200+ years....boring idea right? :rofl:

Yeah you're right your last idea would be boring :)

However I like your first idea that I could resume like this : creating South Africa, conquering India much as I can, and as you said creating the USA. Those three goals seems ambitious enough ;) In the end, I could always add Autralia and New Zeeland easily !

BTW you guys probably on't care but my last update was my 400th post on the Paradox forums :cool: I then celebrated this fact on the head of the last update how cool is that ? :D

yeah i9 noticed you 400th post ^^ nice job, sorry for not giving you any creds, but here they come and flying into yer face from my hands....erh....laptop maybe is batter. i just gotta say that you AAR is the best ive ever read ;)

CREDS CREDS CREDS CREDS CREDS! :eek: im a creds giver :rolleyes:

congrats on the 400th post. I think that you should release every nation that the Ottomans will let you release once you get to 100% war score. cripple the Ottomans once and for all!

In early 1445, I decided to change my strategy against the Ottomans. It was clear I wasn't able to win a real victory against them, then I had to strike elsewhere.

The Balkans were the perfect target. Serbia and Croatia were still their vassals. And from time to time they were able to send troops that threatened my advances. Then my last fleet of reinforcements in march 1445 was sent in Serbia, to crush them once and for all. With two more capitals in my hands and and more military victoires, I would be in a better position to ask for more in peace talks. And it might even give the Turks the wish to come to fight in the Balkans ! This would mean an open road to Constantinople and Edirne...

One year later, I had the proof this strategy was working. Still afraid by my 20,000 troops waiting to enter in Thrace, the Turks were not able to leave Constatinople, while my armies were controling more and more of their terrtitories and allies.

The war in january 1446

At last, in June 1446 my King's diplomats told me the Turks were beaten enough to accept to negociate about the Byzantium independance !

The war at the start of the negociations

The negociations were swift. As Selim II Osmanli was coming bowing in front of my King Henry VI in Constantinople, everybody in the room understood they were witnessing an incredible historical day. Andreas Komnenos the Ist, who lost his crown in April 1441, was standing as equal side by side with Henry VI. Lots of Greeks and Byzantium nobilities members were crying of joy all around the room

Andreas Ist "full of joy" :D

The peace treaty and the Eastern Roman Empire in 1446

[In a totally unRPG way, why did I stop the war ? Well the two mains explanations have one cause : my 10,17 war exhaustion ! It was harder and harder to keep order in Asia Minor, and too much territories were revolting. The Turks were not having those troubles as I was controlling most of their territories. In May 1446, only my last troops in the province in Bulgaria were not fighting against rebels. In Asia Minor, Greece and the Balkans, without forgetting France, in all those territories I was fighting huge bands of rebels. Which means an Ottoman attack would have send me back to the 1445 situation at least ! So I had this opportunity, I took it :eek:o As always, history is written by the one who won :D so History will always remember that Henry VI crushed the Turks easily when he really had an hard time doing it :D]

Of course, the French fighters could not do otherwise than feast on this victory ! They danced for hours in front of shocked Greeks ! Of course, in the Honor of their Basileus back in power and in honor of Henry VI, the Greeks also played hours of music.

Also when the news arrived in France, thousands of families without news from their children and husbands for 5 years began to feast in the honor of Henry VI.

Of course, the young Andreas Ist immediatly accepted the hnd of a really pretty woman and close cousin of Henry VI. What is best than that following great victories ?

In september 1446, the first man to set foot in France, and then in England, was of course Henry VI. All across the two Kingdoms he was received with greets and tears of joy from everyone. The Muslims have been beaten hardly, and peace was back, for good this time !

There were still 55,000 men deployed back there. But now everyone new it was just a matter of time before seeing them again.

The two kingdoms in december 1446

Last edited:
yeah i9 noticed you 400th post ^^ nice job, sorry for not giving you any creds, but here they come and flying into yer face from my hands....erh....laptop maybe is batter. i just gotta say that you AAR is the best ive ever read ;)

CREDS CREDS CREDS CREDS CREDS! :eek: im a creds giver :rolleyes:

Thanks again, then I'll end it as good as it has been until now ;) you guys are really nice on what I am doing

congrats on the 400th post. I think that you should release every nation that the Ottomans will let you release once you get to 100% war score. cripple the Ottomans once and for all!

As said in the last update it would have been a suicide to do this. However at least I have been able to do exactly what I came to do : to defend Byzantium. Now they are free once again, and stronger than ever ! (or at least the stronger they have been since 1204 !! :cool:)

The Roman Empire has risen again. :cool:

Well I'm glad that my ideas have been accepted by the great and the good :)
I REALLY like how you will recreate the British Empire. But I don't think it should end with that, a United Kingdom of Britain and France would have much grander ambitions on the colonial scheme.
Perhaps the entire North America would come under the thumb of such a Union in a world with such a power.
I'm a history student so i cringe whenever I see things massively unrealistic. However I could see the German states, Iberia and Italy becoming part of the new Western Roman Empire. But any expansion I ever do on this game is always within the badboy limit.
I do greatly admire this AAR because you are keeping it historical and realistic, but at the same time doing what I as a Brit always love seeing; the complete conquest of France :D
Keep it up :)