• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, only a person with a deep background in history could have come up with this awesome backgrounder timeline. You must either be a history professor or a passionate student of history. :D I'm eagerly looking forward to reading the main story, this katabasis of the Indohellenic heirs of Alexandros, whoever they are.

Thank you, I'm guessing my history degree is only good for writing AARs and making mods these days lol. The Heirs of Alexandros are coming, by the time I get to the start of the AAR I will also have a few things in place in Lux Invicta to make the Hellenic experience more flavorful. ;)

Thank you, I'm guessing my history degree is only good for writing AARs and making mods these days lol. The Heirs of Alexandros are coming, by the time I get to the start of the AAR I will also have a few things in place in Lux Invicta to make the Hellenic experience more flavorful. ;)

Was wondering why you were so good at making your own special timeline/history. It will definitely make for a very deep AAR, will you continue working on the Arche Seleukeia one or start a fresh one?

Was wondering why you were so good at making your own special timeline/history. It will definitely make for a very deep AAR, will you continue working on the Arche Seleukeia one or start a fresh one?

Thank you! I'm trying to be concise but I fail. :) I will try harder for the coming century... although there's SO MUCH going on in the fourth century sigh... I will most likely continue the Arche Seleukeia AAR in the future because Arche Seleukeia is my favorite state, and I kind of like the way the story went that far... if I continue it under an incompatible future Lux version though I will probably have to edit the savegame somewhat. For now I'm making my way to scenario start on this one, and by the time I get there Lux would have evolved to make the Hellenic experience better than it is now. ;)

I was wondering: with all that Alexandros fever, do the Romans still speak Latin...? The Augustan family seemes to have turned their heads to Greece a long time ago. To what amount is Rome hellenised?

Also, one of the characters in Late Rome are the compound names like Flavius Eugenius. The Flavius fever from real life Third Century seems to have faded into the Alexander fever, but will there still be some Flavius Richomeres, Flavius Bauto, Flavius Aspar and other Barbarian officers? Or will they be named Alexander Richomeres, Alexander Bauto and Alexander Aspar?

Anyway, very cool approach to the dystopian Third Century Crysis!

I was wondering: with all that Alexandros fever, do the Romans still speak Latin...? The Augustan family seemes to have turned their heads to Greece a long time ago. To what amount is Rome hellenised?

Also, one of the characters in Late Rome are the compound names like Flavius Eugenius. The Flavius fever from real life Third Century seems to have faded into the Alexander fever, but will there still be some Flavius Richomeres, Flavius Bauto, Flavius Aspar and other Barbarian officers? Or will they be named Alexander Richomeres, Alexander Bauto and Alexander Aspar?

Anyway, very cool approach to the dystopian Third Century Crysis!

Romans speak Latin (as a first language hehe) but many elements of Hellen culture made their way within the Empire. Marriage between the Roman and Hellen great families is the norm, the best example I gave here is obviously the Julio-Argeads.

I haven't used compound names much in the wording of this, although I've given them on ocassion, but yeah they're still in and Flavius is a favorite too. Maybe I should make more of a point of them in the future.

jFArp.jpg

A Concise Timeline of the History of the Known World - from 300 CE to 400 CE:

300CE: The Year of the Junior Emperors. Maxentius appointed as another junior co-Emperor by Diocletian, in order to oversee the reorganization of the Gallic military provinces, Galerius appointed junior co-Emperor by Alexandros VI in recognition of his services during the campaign against Narses. Constantius Chlorus famously quips "We'll soon have more Emperors than legions."

302 CE: Galerius takes the name Dacicus in honor of his Dacian forefathers. He promotes a vast programme of establishing Dacian military colonies in the military provinces of the Empire. He openly converts to Zalmoxianism and promotes it as a military religion of the Empire alongside Mithraism. Further Dacian and Sarmatian settlement in Britannia and Gallia.

306 CE: Constantius Chlorus leads a Briton-Sarmato-Dacian force beyond the Wall to subdue the Picts. He dies in battle and is succeeded as co-Emperor by Constantine, his son by the Julio-Argead princess Helena. Further reorganization of the military provinces throughout the Empire.

310 CE: Maximian dies. After celebrating the Dies Natalis Solis Invicti in a gigantic ceremony in Alexandria, with all the client kings of the East coming to worship Sol-made-flesh, the Sun Emperor Alexandros VI proclaims the necessary Setting and Rebirth of Sol. Sol is to rise again in the person of his son Alexandros VII, now crowned Sun-Emperor by his father. As a symbol of the Setting Sun, Alexandros VI the Blind departs for the Western Desert the next day and dissapears. The myth of his Return to rule the world once more is created.

311 CE: Diocletian dies in his palace in Split. He commits suicide declaring: "I should not keep Alexandros (VI) waiting." Donatists, originally Christians frowning upon those who waivered in their faith during times of persecution, gain great popularity in Numidia. Alexandros VII has Saint Catherine of Alexandria executed after she refuses his romantic advances.

313 CE: Galerius dies of bowel cancer. In order to spread dissension among the Christians Alexandros VII supports Arius and his followers as the favored sect of Christianity. Their belief that Jesus was a subordinate entity to God is further seized on by Alexandros VII to establish one of the many Solar-Christian variations, by having state preachers spread the message that "Jesus was the son of the true God, Sol, his messenger to us all". Alexandros VII proclaims to his council that the way to destroy Christianity is not by persecution, but by making Christians turn against one another.

315 CE: Alexandros VII continues his policies of splitting Christianity into many sects. Various Christian sects are given encouragement. Arian and Solar Christian missionaries are funded by the state. Constantine I marries his young son Constantine to the Artorian princess Axara and makes him hereditary governor of the new military province of Dumnonia, in order to weaken Artorian hold on Britannia. New Sarmatian settlements created in Britain.

318 CE: Renewed Xiongnu attacks against Helleno-China. Hunnic attacks in Western Serindia.

320 CE: In order to further the cause of Solar Christianity, Alexandros VII proclaims December 25, the Dies Natalis Solis Invicti to be the birth of Jesus as son of Sol. The Dies Solis Invicti (Sunday) is proclaimed a day of rest. Constantine defeats a Gothic incursion into Dacia.

325 CE: Constantine campaigns against the Goths and the Vandals. Christianity reaches Georgia.

330 CE: Constantine dedicates his city of Nova Roma, future Constantinople and moves his capital there. Maxentius dies. His son Maxentius II is confirmed co-Emperor with direct authority over Gallia. Constantine's son Constantine of Dumnonia rebels for being passed over as co-Emperor. An agrieved Constantine I sends Maxentius II to quell the rebellion.

331 CE: Constantine of Britannia and his Artorian allies defeat Maxentius near Londinium and force him to retreat to Gallia.

335 CE: Constantine allows King Alexandros Asanderos of Cimmerian Bosphorus to style himself Emperor of Pontus in exchange for campaigning against the Goths.

337 CE: Constantine I campaigns in Britannia against his own son. During a surprise night attack he is captured by Sarmatian cavalrymen and brought to his son Constantine of Britannia. Constantine of Britannia asks his father to appoint him as co-Emperor and his succesor. Constantine I refuses, declaring he would rather die instead. His enraged son declares that he will have to take the Empire if it is not given to him. The Emperor Constantine is executed in the Sarmatian fashion, a Sword of Victory dedicated to the War God thrust through his heart into the earth. Constantine of Britannia takes the Sword of the War God, now blessed by the blood of an Emperor and proclaims his intent to rule the Empire.

338 CE: Alexandros VII accepts the sons of Constantine, Crispus, now styled Constantine II, Constantius II and Constans as co-Emperors. He proclaims it to be their bussiness to deal with their rebellious brother. Shapur II attacks the Roman East.

339 CE: Constantine II prepares to invade Britannia. Constantius II campaigns against Shapur II.

340 CE: Catastrophic defeat of Constantine II by Constantine of Britannia near Aquae Sulis. Seeing that his brother is mortally wounded, Constantine of Britannia proclaims that it would be a mistake to waste such a great offering to the War God and has his Sarmatians execute him with his Sword of Victory, now dedicated with the blood of two Emperors.

342 CE: Constantine of Britannia invades Northern Gallia. Constantius II expells the Persians from Adiabene. The War with Persia continues.

343 CE: Constantine of Britannia defeats Maxentius II in battle outside Lutetia. Maxentius II dies during the fighting, yet Constantine has an imperial sacrifice ceremony to the Sword of Victory in anycase. Constantine of Britannia proclaims himself to be Slayer of Emperors. His army besieges Lugdunum.

344 CE: Lugdunum falls. Alexandros VII decides to follow his father's example and depart into the desert. After a grand ceremony, suffused with Solar and Christian symbolism is held on the 25th of December, Alexandros VII proclaims that the Sun Emperor is Christ as Sol Incarnate on Earth. Before his departure he appoints his son Alexandros VIII Emperor. He is never heard of again.

345 CE: Constantine of Britannia defeats a Roman army outside Massilia. Shapur II and Constantius II fight an indecisive battle outside Singara. The Visigoths convert to Arianism.

347 CE: Constantine of Britannia besieges Mediolanum. Alexandros VIII negotiates with the Balthi King Athanaric of the Visigoths. Athanaric is offered land in Moesia in exchange for attacking Constantine of Britannia.

348 CE: Constans rushes to relieve Mediolanum before Athanaric and his Visigoths can link up with him. A short decisive battle is fought. Constans is killed and his brother dedicates his body to the Sword of the War God. Alarmed by this turn of events Alexandros VIII orders Athanaric to hold his advance.

350 CE: Hunnic attacks through Serindia into the Eastern parts of the Sassanid Empire. Constantine of Britannia besieges Rome. Alexandros VIII prefers to assemble a vast army before intervening. Constantius II is campaigning in Mesopotamia.

351 CE: Rome falls. Constantine of Britannia enters the city in Triumph. A subservient senate proclaims him Emperor. Alexandros VIII finally decides to move against him.

352 CE: Siege of Rome by Alexandros VIII. Constantine of Britannia refuses to abandon the city. The Sun-Emperor Alexandros VIII proclaims that he will re-enter the city in triumph on the date of his birth. On the 25th of December, the Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, the Sun-Emperor orders an all out assault against the city. The city falls and a wounded Constantine of Britannia is captured. Alexandros VIII has him sacrificed to Sol with his own infamous Sword of Victory. His head and the sword are sent to his son, by the Artorian Axara, Constantine II of Britannia. Alexandros VIII's emissary tells Constantine II to take good care of the sword for if he does not surrender it will be used for his sacrifice as well.

353 CE: Alexandros VIII orders all senators who had accepted Constantine of Britannia as Emperor, sacrificed to Sol. They are rounded up and executed on the senate floor.

354 CE: Battle of Mediolanum. Alexandros VIII narrowly defeats Constantine II of Britannia. Vast barbarian hosts, most notably the Franks and the Alammani invade Northern Gaul, taking advantage of the Roman war in the South.

355 CE: Alexandros VIII appoints Julian, the second son of Constantine II (Crispus) as co-Emperor. He marries him to his younger sister Alexandra. Julian is sent to campaign against the Franks, while Alexandros VIII follows Constantine II of Britannia into Gallia. The Huns begin their drive West from Central Asia.

356 CE: Alexandros VIII defeats Constantine II of Britannia outside Massilia. Constantine II retreats North.

357 CE: Alexandros VIII besieges Lugdunum. Julian wins several victories against the barbarians.

358 CE: A Solar Christian priest called Lucius opens the gates of Lugdunum to Alexandros VIII. Alexandros VIII appoints Lucius as ruler of the city. Measures are taken to turn Lugdunum into a theocratic city state, the heart of Solar Christianity. The Salian Franks capitulate to Julian. He promises them land in exchange for fighting Constantine II.

359 CE: Julian and Alexandros VIII campaign together against Constantine II. Shapur II besieges Amida. Quadi attacks into Pannonia. Julian sent against them.

360 CE: Julian defeats the Quadi and the Alammani. Huns fight the Goths in the East. Constantius II dies in battle against Shapur II near Amida. Alexandros VIII defeats Constantine II near Burdigala. Alexandros VIII is grievously wounded and is unable to continue his campaign.

361 CE: Julian defeats Constantine II outside Limonum. He chases Constantine II North. Constantine II retreats over the Channel. Rather than pursue, Julian heads East to deal with the Persians.

362 CE: Julian begins his campaign against Shapur II. He relieves Antiocheia. Shapur had promised to raze it to the ground to punish it for its continued defiance. Its grateful citizens proclaim him "Saviour of the Light".

363 CE: Although outnumbered, Julian defeats Shapur II near Nisibis. He wins several minor victories on his way to Ctesiphon.

364 CE: Julian II conquers Ctesiphon. His army hails him "Sol Invictus in the flesh" as he rededicates the temples of Ctesiphon to Sol. The brothers Flavius Valentinianus and Valens are appointed co-Emperors by Alexandros VIII, who decides to retire to Egypt.

365 CE: Valentinian I campaigns in Britannia against Constantine II. It is widely reported that the Emperor has a dream about Christ offering to deliver him Britannia in less than a month, in exchange for conversion. The very next day Constantine II is assassinated by conspirators led by Marcus Artorius while holding a war council. His head is sent to Valentinian I along with an offer of submission. Valentinian I accepts their submission. He confirms Marcus Artorius as client High King of Britannia, while the young Constantine III retains Dumnonia. Valentinian I converts to Christianity.

366 CE: Julian captures Shapur II in battle near Ecbatana. Several Persian Satraps led by Ardashir Parmenion of Ecbatana offer him the title King of Kings and promise their submission. Julian refuses the title. He proclaims "to hold the East is to lose the West". He releases Shapur II after a peace is signed winning great reparations and territorial concessions for the Empire.

367 CE: Julian is in Constantinople. He asks Valentinian I to renounce Christianity. Valentinian refuses. Julian begins a vast programme of reforms. New military provinces are formed, a new system of state education is implemented within the cities of the Empire. Neoplatonism is funded by the state.

368 CE: Massive barbarian attacks on the Imperial borders. Saxon attacks in Britannia. Valentinian and Valens win several victories over the barbarians. Julian attempts to reconciliate with Valentinian I. Valentinian declares that he and his brother will be co-Emperors of the West while Julian and Alexandros VIII can rule the East. Julian decides against fighting a civil war, given serious barbarian pressure on the imperial borders. Division of the Empire.

369 CE: After an emboldened Christian mob kills the Scholarch of the Academy of Athens and several other philosophers, Julian begins his Christian Persecutions. He proclaims: "Christians would bring a great Darkness over the world, we must make sure that the Light of Civilization is never extinguished by the Shadow of Barbaric religion". His Sacred Policies of Purification, as they come to be known are aimed at purging Christianity from the Eastern Empire. Many Christians flee the Eastern Empire.

370 CE: After a failed assassination attempt by a Christian fanatic of senatorial rank, Julian pardons him in a gesture of clemency. The man is brought before the Imperial family and Julian orders his chains struck off. Instead of accepting his pardon, he manages to take a sword from one of the guards and in the ensuing scuffle kills Julian's 7 year old daughter Alexandra. He is captured alive once more and declares: "My only regret is I could not send you all to hell". An enraged Julian orders the man sacrificed to Sol Invictus and his name erased from all records. Julian orders the immediate execution of all Christians who refuse to abandon their faith.

371 CE: Valentinian I is enraged by the persecutions of Christians in the East. He starts a policy of offering barbarians land within the Empire in exchange for military service. He begins assembling an army largely composed of barbarians, in order to march against Julian. The Huns defeat the Alans, Alans begin migrating West.

372 CE: The Huns attack Cimmerian Bosphorus and the Tervingi Goths. Valentinian I concludes an unnatural alliance with Shapur II against Julian. Shapur II invades the East.

373 CE: Valentinian marches East at the head of a large army mostly composed of barbarian troops. Valens converts to Arianism. Julian is in the East trying to organize a counterattack against Shapur II.

375 CE: Valentinian I besieges Constantinople. As the city is about to fall, he promises to raze it to the ground and "make it a desert". After a long forced march Julian crosses the Helespont. A battle is fought outside Constantinople. Valentinian is captured. Julian offers him clemency in exchange for renouncing his Christian faith. Valentinian refuses. In an unexpected act of clemency Julian pardons him anyway. Julian is proclaimed "Saviour of the Light" once more.

376 CE: Valentinian I sent to Valens in an effort to reestablish peace. Julian marches East to deal with Shapur II.

377 CE: Julian defeats Shapur II outside Amida. Valentinian I and Valens march together against the Eastern Empire. Large scale Gothic migration into the Empire.

378 CE: After failed negotiations with the Goths Valens decides to deal with them before proceeding on to Constantinople. A large battle is fought outside Adrianople. Valens is defeated and killed. Julian defeats Shapur II near Ctesiphon. Shapur II dies of his wounds, while being nursed by Julian himself. Having no knowledge of Valens's defeat at Adrianople Julian decides to force march his army West once more rather than deal with a secondary Persian army under Ardashir II.

379 CE: Valentinian appoints his son Valentinian II co-Emperor. Julian defeats the Visigoths in a 2nd battle outside Adrianople. A peace is negotiated with the Visigoths and Julian has them settled as foederati in the Balkans. Niall, ancestor of the Uí Néill is High King in Ireland.

380 CE: Valentinian I is killed in battle against Julian outside Athens. Valentinian II appoints Flavius Theodosius co-Emperor.

381 CE: An ailing Alexandros VIII follows the now established tradition of "going into the Desert". His son Alexandros IX is co-Emperor of the East. Julian is acclaimed as Sun Emperor.

382 CE: Theodosius has the Temple of the Vestal Virgins in Rome destroyed and the Sacred Heart of Sol defiled and thrown into the Tiber. An outraged Julian decides to march West. Vandals and other barbarians invade the Empire, some of them are pacified and settled as foederati.

383 CE: Julian lands in Italia with a vast Eastern Army. He starts his march across the Peninsula destroying all Christian churches in his wake. Athanaric High King of the Goths dies.

384 CE: Julian besieges Rome. He retakes the city after a 3 month siege. After refusing to convert, Pope Damasus I is sacrificed to Sol. The Temple of the Vestal Virgins is rebuilt. The Sacred heart of Sol is fished out of the Tiber and brought back to the Palatine Hill.

385 CE: Julian marches North and defeats Valentinian II and Theodosius outside Ravenna. The two co-Emperors of the West flee to Gallia. They are defeated outside Narbo and flee into Severan Hispania. Julian begins a new programme of military reorganization. He establishes new military provinces and reorganizes the old ones. The military provinces of Aquileia, Venetia, Mediolanum, Genoa, Ravenna and Provincia are thoroughly reorganized and strengthened. Julian proclaims them "The Eternal shield of Rome."

386 CE: Julian appoints Magnus Maximus co-Emperor in the West.

387 CE: Theodosius instigates large scale rebellion among the foederati and invites several barbarian tribes to invade the Empire. Julian is in Alexandria where he is grievously wounded by a Christian fanatic during the celebrations of the Dies Natalis Sol Invicti. His doctors believe he will not survive for long. Julian decides to "go into the Desert". The Sun Emperor Julian Saviour of the Light is carried into the Western desert by twelve loyal retainers. Before leaving Alexandria, Julian famously proclaims: "I will return."

388 CE: Theodosius and Valentinian II cross the Pyrenees supported by a Severan army. Magnus Maximus has to deal with large scale barbarian troubles.

389 CE: Magnus Maximus is killed in battle outside Lutetia. Alexandros IX is sole Emperor in the East.

390 CE: After being welcomed within the city, Theodosius executes more than 5000 pagans in Mediolanum. Ambrose the new Bishop of Mediolanum orders him to repent. Theodosius humbles himself by renouncing the purple and kneeling before Ambrose.

391 CE: Theodosius proclaims Christianity to be the official religion of the Western Empire. Rome surrenders to him. As Persians prepare to invade, Theodosius and Alexandros IX reach an agreement. Theodosius and Valentinian II can remain as Emperors in the West.

392 CE: The half Vandal general Stilicho defeats the Goths under Alaric. New Gothic resettlement as foederati.

395 CE: Theodosius dies, supposedly of sun stroke. Alexandros IX proclaims it to be "only fitting". His son Honorius is appointed co-Emperor by Valentinian II. Valentinian II retires to a life of debauchery. The real power behind Honorius is the half Vandal Stilicho.

Last edited:
You know Arian is a character I've always wanted to find more about, I just find that era of Christianity pre Constantine involvement to be most fascinating :) And for some reason Diocletian has always been one of the Emperors I will always remember.

I am very interested in AARs with your Lux Invicta mod, however I admit I'm not the greatest fan of detailed chronologies. (I totally understand if others like it though.)

Any chance at a TL;DR summary of how exactly your world history is different from "our" world history during the segments you posted?

@tnick0225

A world where Arianism became the dominant Christian flavor would be a very interesting one to observe. Wtb alternate universe to feast my curiosity on. :(

@Leviathan07

I will give a summary and setup explanation with screenshots once I get to 1066. I will also try (and fail) to be more concise. I am already thinking I should just ignore a lot of stuff and go for major explanations only about why some dinasty or culture is where it is. I'll finish the 400-500 part in similar fashion as before but I will try to rethink the way I handle the next parts.

xaZtv.jpg

A Concise Timeline of the History of the Known World - from 400 CE to 500 CE:

401 CE: Stilicho fights the Vandals in Rhaetia. Massive Gothic unrest in the Balkans. Alexandros IX decides to resettle many Goths on the Eastern borders of the Empire in military colonies aimed at containing Persia. Honorius moves his administrative capital to Ravenna, Rome remains the theoretical capital of the Empire.

403 CE: Urged on by Alexandros IX Alaric and his Goths try to invade Italia. They are repulsed by Stilicho and Lucius Traianus, the military governor of Aquilea. Pure Land Buddhism starts gaining popularity in Serindia.

405 CE: Stilicho campaigns against the Hasdingi Vandals. Massive barbarian attacks on the borders of the Empire. King Godigisel of the Vandals leads a vast army into imperial lands. Alaric prepares to invade once more, Flavius Aetius is sent to him as a hostage.

406 CE: A Gothic army under King Rhadagasius is defeated by Stilicho and Lucius Traianus with the help of a Hunnic army under Uldin. Gothic prisoners are integrated in the Roman army. In exchange for his services Lucius Traianus is appointed hereditary governor of the military province of Aquileia, beginning the trend of hereditary governorships for the military provinces of the Empire.

407 CE: Alexandros IX continues his reorganization of the Eastern borders of the Empire. He appoints the Constantian Alexandros Constans as king of Trapezunt, in order to avoid appointing him as co-emperor. The kingdom of Trapezunt is reorganized into a great military defensive region of the Empire. A Gothic military province is established on the Eastern borders as well.

408 CE: Vandals, Suevi, Alans and others pour into the Western Empire. Rather than oppose them Stilicho decides to retreat the main Roman forces into the South to defend the Italian military provinces. Gallia is being overrun.

409 CE: Stilicho is accused of treachery in the senate, on account of his decision to defend Italia alone. He is executed after a show trial. The senate issues an edict of "damnatio memoriae" against him. In spite of it, Lucius Traianus famously comments: "he was the truest Roman of us all." Flavius Aetius is now sent as hostage to the Huns.

410 CE: Vandals under Gunderic cross into Hispania, followed by Suevi and Alans. Rather than fight a potentially disastrous war, the Severan Emperor of Hispania Alexandros Severus V decides to allow them to settle as foederati. Vandals receive Baetica, Suevi are settled in Gallaecia and Alani are settled in Lusitania. The Lusitanian client king Viriathus VIII objects but is soon faced with a fait acompli.

411 CE: Valentinian II dies. His son Valentinian III is appointed co-Emperor. Honorius decides to allow the Goths under Alaric and Ataulf a free reign in Gallia in exchange for stopping their attacks on the Italian military provinces. He also entreats them to invade Severan Hispania.

412 CE: Ataulf starts building a Gothic kingdom in Southern Gaul. Alexandros IX becomes sick and dies while inspecting the Eastern borders. Before his death he appoints his son Alexandros X and Julian's grandson Julian II as co-Emperors.

413 CE: Alaric invades Severan Hispania. A great indecisive battle is fought outside Ilerda. Alaric is mortally wounded. In a legendary episode his Goths temporarily divert the Ebro river to have the King buried in its riverbed. The Roman captives used for labor are then executed so none may find out the location of the King's tomb.

414 CE: Galla Placidia, Honorius's half sister is married to Ataulf the Gothic King of Southern Gallia. Honorius continues his policy of entreating barbarians to invade Hispania. A vast Gothic army links up with the remainder of Alaric's forces. Visigothic king Wallia besieges Ilerda.

415 CE: Hypatia, the female Scholarch of the Academy of Alexandria is stripped naked and skinned alive with pot shards by a Christian mob. Her remains are defecated on and then left to rot in the central Agora of Alexandria. An enraged Alexandros X vows to eradicate Christianity from Egypt once and for all. He vows to turn Alexandria into a Neoplatonic city in memory of Hypatia and vast funds are poured into the institutionalization of the Academy. Merciless persecutions begin. Christians flee Egypt in large numbers. Vast Christian exodus into Nubia and the South.

416 CE: The Visigoths overrun most of Tarraconensis. Marcus Afranius is allowed to continue as a vassal in Ilerda. Several other Roman magnates accept Wallia as their overlord rather than lose their lands. Alexandros X proclaimed to be the Antichrist by Pope Innocent I. In response Innocent I is assassinated on Alexandros X orders, a Solar Crown put on the head of the body.

417 CE: The Visigothic kingdom of Aquitaine is confirmed as a theoretical Roman client. Wallia is killed in battle outside Numantia. Theodoric is elected High King of the Visigoths. He campaigns in Hispania against the Severans.

421 CE: Hunnic attacks into Dacia. After several senators accused of Christianity are executed, and their hearts are removed and burned, Alexandros X famously proclaims: "There is not one beating Christian heart left in the Eastern Empire."

423 CE: Honorius is assassinated on the orders of Alexandros X, after having declared that he would lead a "Crusade against the Antichrist". A Solar Crown is placed on the head of his body. His young son Honorius II is appointed co-Emperor. Valentinian III sends Flavius Aetius to retake control of Gallia.

424 CE: Flavius Aetius begins to reestablish Roman control over Gallia. The Visigoths of Aquitaine are confirmed as clients.

426 CE: Gunderic, King of the Vandals is accepted as King by the Alans. He decides to join Theodoric in his campaigns against the Severi.

427 CE: Receiving support from Alexandros X, the magnate Lucius Antonius of Carthage proclaims himself Emperor. Receiving vast payments from Alexandros X, the vassal kings of Numidia and Mauretania accept Lucius Antonius as Emperor. The Hephtalite Huns invade Serindia and Eastern Persia.

428 CE: Valentinian III bribes the Vandals into attacking Lucius Antonius. A vast Vandal army under Genseric, Gunderic's brother lands in Africa. Quintus Verus appointed hereditary military governor of Provincia. Saxon attacks into Britannia. Nestorianism, a doctrine emphasizing the disunion between the divine and human natures of Christ becomes popular among the Christian refugees of the East.

429 CE: Genseric accepts the submission of Juba IV Bocchus of Mauretania. He proclaims himself High King of Africa as he marches East towards Carthage. Pelagianism gains popularity in Britannia. Its adherents believe that original sin did not taint human nature and that man is still capable of choosing good or evil without the need of any Divine aid.

430 CE: Genseric besieges Hippo Regius. Saint Pattrick reaches Ireland. Flavius Aetius continues his campaigns of reestablishing Roman power in the West.

431 CE: Flavius Aetius forces the Salian Franks under Chlodio to become foederati. Hippo Regius falls to the Vandals. Flavius Juba, King of Numidia submits to Genseric and becomes a vassal.

432 CE: Valentinian III dies in mysterious circumstances. When accused of his murder Alexandros X laughs and criptically declares: "It was Sol's will". Valentinian IV is co-emperor in the West.

435 CE: Atilla and Bleda rule over the Huns. Flavius Aetius defeats the Burgundians and resettles them as foederati. Their Kings Gunther and Gunderic become clients.

436 CE: Theodoric, High King of the Goths, defeats the Severan Emperor of Hispania Septimius Severus IV in a great battle outside Saguntum. Septimius Severus IV renounces his imperial authority and is allowed to retain his Valentian territories. Theodoric I is the first Gothic Emperor of Hispania. The former client kings of the Severi bend the knee to their new overlord.

437 CE: Ambrosius Aurelianus, a member of the lesser branches of the Artorian family rules as sub-King over the Eastern part of Britannia. He defeats the Saxons in a great battle near Wallop. Alexandros X decides to help Lucius Antonius of Carthage against the Vandals.

438 CE: King Hermeric of Suevia rejects Theodoric's demand to convert to Arianism. A Germanic brand of monotheism, worshipping The Allfather takes hold in North Western Hispania. Genseric besieges Carthage.

439 CE: Alexandros X lands with a large army outside Carthage. Genseric proclaims that Armaggedon is about to be fought against the Antichrist. In the ensuing battle Alexandros X suffers no less than 8 wounds before being captured by the Vandals. His Imperial Bodyguard dies to a man. The wounded Emperor is brought to Genseric and asked to convert to Arianism in order to be spared. Alexandros X replies: "Sol can not convert to the religion of a lesser god". Alexandros X is crucified before the walls of Carthage. Defiant till his death, his last words are: "I do not forgive your sin, and you shall be punished for it." The Emperor's death on the cross before Carthage is seized on as a powerful symbol by later Solar Christians.

440 CE: Alexandros XI is co-Emperor in the East, with Julian II as Sun Emperor. Carthage falls to Genseric after Lucius Antonius surrenders the city after a peace is negotiated. Lucius Antonius retains his vast properties in Africa and retires to one of his villas. Genseric wishes to send Alexandros XI the body of his father, but the tomb is found empty. Solar Christians whisper that Alexandros X has risen and they expect his return.

441 CE: Julian II marches an army through Tripolitania. A great battle is fought outside Ruspina. Julian II is killed in battle. Genseric has his body burned with the exception of his head. His head, with a cross carved on its forehead, is sent to Alexandros XI as a warning.

442 CE: Julian II's son Julian III is appointed co-Emperor. Making good use of the Carthaginian fleet, Vandals overrun Western Sicily. Hunnic attacks into the Empire. Hepthalite Hunns pour into Eastern Persia after being given safe passage by the Hellenic kings.

443 CE: The Romano-Gothic general Areobindus expells the Vandals from Sicily. Hermeric of Suevia dies. His son Rechila is confirmed King by Theodoric.

444 CE: Honorius II dies fighting the Huns. Valentinian IV appoints Honorius II's son Honorius as hereditary military governor of Ravenna, but does not appoint him co-Emperor. Flavius Aetius and Marcus Maxentius sent against the Huns.

445 CE: The Huns are pushed back into Pannonia. In recognition for his services Marcus Maxentius is confirmed as hereditary military governor of Genua. Flavius Aetius is appointed co-Emperor.

446 CE: Genseric's son Huneric is married to Valentinian IV's daughter Eudocia. In order for the marriage to proceed, Huneric's first wife, Theodoric's daughter, is accused of trying to poison him. She is mutilated, her nose and ears cut off and sent back to Theodoric. Theodoric is enraged.

447 CE: Endemic war in Britannia results in the beginning of a series of migrations towards Northern Gallia. Merovech is King of the Franks. Theodoric and a vast Hispanic army cross the straights into Africa against the Vandals.

448 CE: Faced with a Roman incursion into Tarraconensis Theodoric negotiates an agreement with Genseric. He allows his son Huneric to be mutilated in retaliation, the Vandal prince losing his ears and nose. Satisfied, Theodoric returns to Hispania.

449 CE: British sub-king Vortigern allies with the Saxons Hengist and Horsa against Ambrosius Aurelianus.

450 CE: Justa Honoria, daughter of Valentinian IV invites Atilla to become her husband in order to escape a proposed marriage to the Romano-Goth Areobindus. Atilla announces his intention to marry her and proclaims the Western Empire to be her dowry. Large scale Germanic invasions into Britannia.

451 CE: Atilla invades the Western Empire. Valentinian IV is killed in battle against the Huns in Belgica. His son Valentinian V becomes co-Emperor. Flavius Aetius musters a large coalition, including Theodoric of Hispania. A great battle is fought at Chalons. The Huns are defeated but Theodoric is killed during the battle. His sons immediately start to contest for the Crown of Hispania. Beginning of the Hispanic Anarchy. Royal Hispania is divided into several lesser kingdoms by the Balthi princes. Euric, Thorismund and Theodoric II all proclaim themselves Emperor of Hispania.

Battle of Avarayr. Christian Armenians under Saint Vartan are defeated by Yazdegird II. He abandons his invasion aimed at establishing a Zoroastrian King on the throne, deciding to honor the valor of his enemies.

452 CE: Atilla prepares to invade Italia. The magnate Publius Aurelius is appointed hereditary military governor of Venetia in exchange for spending much of his wealth on arming troops.

453 CE: The expected invasion of Italia never arrives. Atilla dies of conjugal exhaustion, in his bed after his wedding to the Goth princess Ildica. His sons Ellac, Dengizich and Ernakh fight among themselves for the Hunnic Empire.

454 CE: Flavius Aetius is assassinated on the orders of Valentinian V, although the Emperor widely protests his innocence. Upon hearing of Aetius's death the Romano-Goth general Areobindus famously exclaims: "He might have been a Scythian by birth, but he was the last of the Romans." Valentinian V appoints Aetius's son Marcus as hereditary military governor of Panormus, but does not make him co-Emperor. He rules alone as Emperor of the West. The Vandals conquer Malta.

455 CE: Valentinian V attempts to reestablish control over Eastern Hispania. He sends Areobindus and Stilicho's grandson Tiberius Stilicho into Hispania. Roman control is reestablished over the Eastern coastline.

456 CE: The Severi of Valentia submit to Tiberius Stilicho and are turned into hereditary military governors of Valentia. Most of the Eastern coastline of Hispania is reorganized into new military provinces. Tiberius Stilicho remains in Hispania as Supreme Military Governor. His attempts to expand Roman power into the interior of the peninsula fail repeatedly.

457 CE: Hengist's son Aesc besieges Londinium.

459 CE: Childeric I, foederati King of the Salian Franks establishes his capital at Tournai. Julian III dies as his ship sinks in the Black Sea while traveling to Sinope. Alexandros XI grants his son vast estates in Bythinia but does not name him co-Emperor. Leo I, a Romano-Dacian general is appointed co-Emperor. Peroz I defeats his brother Hormizd III and becomes Sassanid Emperor.

463 CE: Peroz I conquers Caucasian Albania and appoints his second born son as King. Leo I forms the Isaurian Guard.

464 CE: Theodoric II acknowledged as Emperor of Hispania by the other kings of the Peninsula. He marches into Gallia.

465 CE: Theodoric II establishes control over Southern Gallia. He marches North. The Roman general and magnate Syagrius and a Frankish army meet him in battle outside Orleans. Theodoric II is defeated and retreats South.

467 CE: Vandal raids increase throughout the Mediterranean. Theodoric II is assasinated by his son Euric. A new struggle for power begins in Hispania. Alexandros XI dies assassinated by the Isaurian guard on the orders of Leo I. Alexandros XI's eldest son escapes to Italia and arrives in Neapolis where he is well received by his relatives, great magnates of the region. Valentinian V refuses to offer him any support against Leo. Leo appoints Alexandros XI's youngest son, the 2 year old Alexandros XII as co-Emperor and has him live as a virtual hostage in the Imperial Palace.

470 CE: Theodemer, the High King of the Ostrogoths in the Balkans is assassinated on the orders of Leo I. Leo I resettles many Ostrogoths on the Eastern borders of the Empire. Gundobad is elected High King of the Burgundians.

474 CE: Leo I is assassinated by his son-in-law, Zeno, commander of the Isaurian guard. Zeno is crowned co-Emperor with Alexandros XII. Vandals reconquer Western Sicily and the Balearic Islands.

477 CE: Vandals conquer Corsica and Sardinia. Valentinian V attempts to retake Sardinia but is killed in battle outside Caralis. The old and ailing Genseric lives to see the body of Valentinian V thrown at his feet. He uses it as a podium and asks his people wether he has ruled them well. The Vandal army cheer their king hailing him as "Genseric the Great". Genseric dies peacefully the next day of old age, proclaiming: "I've killed enough Emperors, now it is time to rest."

478 CE: Valentinian VI is sole Emperor in the West. Aelle is first King of the South Saxons. Theodoric, High King of the Ostrogoths in the Balkans accepts the submission of the kings of Tylis and Singidunum. He declares himself independent of Constantinople.

481 CE: The Burgundian King Gundomar embraces Solar Christianity. Clovis is King of the Franks.

483 CE: Zeno offers Theodoric the Western Empire if he would abandon the Balkans and attack Italia instead. Theodoric accepts.

484 CE: The Ostrogoths attack Aquileia but are defeated by Valentinian VI. Theodoric and his remaining Ostrogoths are allowed to continue West and sent against the Visigoths of Southern Gallia. Zeno appoints Theodemar II as client king of the remaining Ostrogoths in the Balkans.

486 CE: Clovis overruns Northern Gallia. The Roman magnate Syagrius becomes his vassal.

491 CE: Zeno dies "hit by a stray arrow" in the palace grounds. His son Leo II becomes co-Emperor with Alexandros XII seemingly content to live as a prisoner within the Imperial palace. Anti-Isaurian riots within Constantinople are suppressed in blood.

492 CE: Theodoric the Ostrogoth succeeds in being proclaimed High King of the Goths in Gallia.

495 CE: Cerdic and his son Cynric begin to establish the Kingdom of Wessex.

496 CE: Clovis defeats the Alammani at the Battle of Tolbiac. The Alammani King Gibuld becomes his vassal. Clovis converts to Christianity. Thrasamund is King of the Vandals.

498 CE: Leo II humiliates Alexandros XII by requiring him to take an oath of fealty and having him publicy prostrate himself before him. Leo II publicly calls Alexandros XII "the little Emperor". Alexandros XII is denied all funding and is reportedly allowed to live as a destitute on bread and water alone.

Last edited:
@Leviathan07

I will give a summary and setup explanation with screenshots once I get to 1066. I will also try (and fail) to be more concise. I am already thinking I should just ignore a lot of stuff and go for major explanations only about why some dinasty or culture is where it is. I'll finish the 400-500 part in similar fashion as before but I will try to rethink the way I handle the next parts.
Never mind about the conciseness, I think the readers who like details are already enjoying it. And I already found (and read) your much more concise description of the mod's background in your Lux Invicta mod thread :)

Ok, glad that mod background helped. :) I still think I should be more concise, I'll see if I can manage hehehe. There's still some major stuff to address like what happened when Islam came calling, or what Charlemagne did... I can fast forward over a lot of other stuff though to get to 1066 faster hehe.

Ok, glad that mod background helped. :) I still think I should be more concise, I'll see if I can manage hehehe. There's still some major stuff to address like what happened when Islam came calling, or what Charlemagne did... I can fast forward over a lot of other stuff though to get to 1066 faster hehe.

I'd rather have you keep up your detailed concise century-by-century chronology ;)

On another matter, are you aware of the "Phantom Time Theory"? Started by a German journalist, he defended that the period between the VIIth and the Xth Centuries never existed. Instead, it was a gambit made by several people in different places, in an unrelated effort to add up reputation to their dynasty or to misrepresent bad moments of their own countries and governments. For example. Charlemagne was a mythical figure that Otto III, the Holy Roman Emperor, and Gerbert d'Aurilhac would have made "true" by creating forgeries of documents in order to legitimise his rule and dynasty (of which he was actually Otto I, being Otto I and II also made up). With that reference, historians in the West have also altered chronologies in other parts of the world without realising. The Umayyad dynasty overlapped with the Sassanid Empire and Khosrau II was contemporary of Harun al Rashid, already an Abbassid.

The theory is fun, but utterly bollocks. Still, it's funny to imagine Otto III's scribes forging documents to prove the existence of Charlemagne, Pepin the Short and other Carolingian personalities.

Fomenko went further and published an 8 volume series called History: Science or Fiction? In which he defended that almost all that we know about history is fake, mythical. Jesus never existed and was created around the XVIth Century from the figures of Andronikos I Komnenos and other prophets. Rome and Greece were all myths, Jerusalem always stood at the side of the Bosphorus, the Salomon Temple was Hagia Sophia, while Salomon was Suleiman the Magnificent.

"Everything is younger that we think". Fomenko's method consisted of analyzing how much texts talked about stuff and then correlate different texts. When texts spekaing of different periods correlated a lot, he considered one of the texts to be a rendition of the other, but set in another time. As if I took the history of the US and imagined a pseudohistorical past in which the Byzantine Empire rebelled against Rome and instituted a presidential republic. The more I talk about one president, the more important he was. Thus I'd talk a lot about Alexios Byrennios, the First President, or Anthypathos, and almost nothing about the XIXth Century presidents. Fomenko would relate these two events and then guess what was the real account and what the myth.

What fails in his theory is that what was important to one time, was not so important to another. Now Roman history books talk a lot about Claudius and his institution of bureaucracy, while they talk rather little about Caligula because he did nothing besides being a crazy dickhead (or pretending he was, opinions diverge), while Roman chroniclers talk a lot about Caligula's madness, because that's what sells, and little about Claudius, because he was rather boring, to them, except for his women plotting around him.

Not that it deserves to be taken seriously, but it's interesting nonetheless.

@Cesar

That stuff IS FUN. Obviously bat-sh!7e crazy but FUN. I'm talking about the Phantom Time Theory, that Fomenko stuff borders a bit too much on the "take your meds and be a good boy" region. :) I still would probably read it for entertainment though, glad you told me about it. :D

On conciseness - next update is ultra concise in comparison to what I would have wanted it to be if given a free reign to ramble :D - it's still not that dissimilar from this one overall but more concise in the fact there's more people in it that need explaining and I just skim through them mostly, being primarely concerned with why some dynasties and religions are where they are etc. :)

Then, if you liked it, give this article a read. He tries to treat the theory with respect, although then he made this other article explaining why he thinks it's rubbish (although not entirely)

http://www.philjohn.com/papers/pjkd_h02.html

http://www.philjohn.com/papers/pjkd_h04.html

By the way, if you need more help with graphic stuff, writing or anything, like writing events, etc, let me know. I work part time in the middle of the Catalan countryside, with not much to do, so...

I've heard of that phantom history stuff. It is interesting to read. I saw one thing, probably not the same guy but he was trying to say the world started in 1495 lol its funny stuff to listen too sometimes. Gotta enjoy the alt history though makes you think a little bit about how things are :)

@Cesar

I'll read that when I have time, strangely enough the weekend is that time of the week when RL people conspire to completely eat my time. I'll PM you about your offer of writing things, I'm sure you could help with some events related to Iberia. :D

justrav.jpg

A Concise Timeline of the History of the Known World - from 500 CE to 600 CE:

500 CE: Battle of Mons Badonicus, Magnus Artorius, High King of Britannia defeats the Saxons and puts a stop to their expansion West. Battle of Dijon, Gundobad of Burgundy is defeated by Clovis and accepts to pay tribute. Alexandros XII is forced to marry Selena, a descendant of the Caesarion Ptolemies. He is further humiliated by Leo II as he is forced to publicly copulate with his new wife for the entertainment of Leo II who proclaims that he only requires a new "little Emperor" then the father can "go to Sol".

502 CE: Selena gives birth to twins. True to his threat, Leo II orders Alexandros XII starved to death. In a macabre jest, Leo II offers to allow an emaciated Alexandros XII one of his baby sons to eat if he would want to live longer. A starving Alexandros XII refuses and demands to be killed. Leo II allows him to linger on. Alexandros XII dies on December 25, on the Day of the Birth of Sol. Before his death Leo II brings his two baby sons to him to gloat about them taking his place. He mocks Alexandros XII and asks whether he should be sent to the desert. In an unexpected display of will and strength Alexandros XII rises and blesses his children. Before collapsing, his last words are: "I have already been to the desert."

503 CE: Kavadh I of Persia attacks the Eastern Borders. Bulgars are allowed by Dacians and Sarmatians to pour through their lands into the Balkans. Leo II famously flips a coin before choosing which of Alexandros XII's baby sons to proclaim as co-Emperor. One of them becomes Alexandros XIII. The Persian Mazdak gains influence at the Sassanid court. He declares private property to be the source of evil.

504 CE: Leo II creates the client Ostrogothic Kingdom of Diocleia in order to combat the Bulgars. Utigur and Kutrigur contest for leadership of the Huns.

506 CE: Peace between the Eastern Empire and Persia, as Kavadh has to deal with renewed Hephtalite attacks in the East.

507 CE: Battle of Vouillé - Clovis defeats Theodoric the Ostrogoth. Theodoric bends the Knee to Clovis as a vassal king. Following several succesful campaigns in central Germania, the Thuringii King Hermanafrid proclaims himself High King of Germania.

508 CE: Leo II recognizes Clovis as High King of Gallia and entreats him to attack the Western Empire. Aergol Lawhir of Dyfed and Budic II of Britanny, lead a Briton army against the Saxons and defeat them outside Wintanceaster.

511 CE: Clovis dies. His domains are divided into lesser kingdoms ruled by his sons. Theodoric and the Goths rebel in the South. Hermanafrid of Germania invades from the East. Kavadh officialy converts to Mazdakism. To demonstrate his addherance to the concept of communal property he allows Mazdak to sleep with the Empress. A vast programme of reforms begins, as Mazdakite communities are set up within the Empire. Mazdakism is also exported to the Kindah kingdom in Arabia.

515 CE: Eutharic a lesser Gothic King in Southern Gallia, and son-in-law of Theodoric, assassinates his father-in-law, instigated by his ambitious wife Amalasuntha. Gothic Gallia descends into anarchy, as Theodoric's children and lesser kings fight for the High Kingship. Aelle, first King of Sussex is captured by a contingent of Artorian Sarmatian cavalry and used for target practice. His body, pierced by countless arrows is left to rot for days before it is found by his Saxon followers.

518 CE: Leo II orders Justin, commander of the Excubitors to execute Alexandros XIII after Alexandros XIII publicly declares Leo II "a murdering tyrant, hated by Sol and man alike". Justin refuses proclaiming Alexandros XIII to be the true Sun Emperor. The Excubitors assassinate Leo II. His head is mounted on a pole outside the Palace Gates and his sons are executed within the Palace. The Isaurian guard fights the Excubitors and Justin's supporters in street battles in Constantinople. Leo II's youngest son Zeno is safe in Isauria where he proclaims himself Emperor.
Justin becomes co-Emperor.

519 CE: Isaurian War. Justin campaigns against the Isaurian loyalists. Wehha founds the kingdom of East Anglia. Hygelac King of the Geats raids the Lower Rhine. Vandal Civil War between the Arian party and a Catholic Party funded by Rome. Romans take the opportunity to retake Corsica, Sardinia and Western Sicily. The Catholics are defeated.

523 CE: The Isaurian War ends in stalemate. Zeno is allowed to remain as client King of Isauria as he renounces his Imperial ambitions. Hilderic King of the Vandals campaigns unsuccesfully against the Amanaya Berbers of Tripolitania.

526 CE: Inspired by Roman custom, in an unprecedent move, Amalaric and Athalaric rule as joint High Kings of the Goths in Southern Gallia. Amalaric enlarges his kingdom of Septimania, turning it into the dominant power in East Southern Gallia.

527 CE: Justin I dies of consumption. Before his death he appoints his nephew Justinian as co-Emperor. The Kingdom of Essex is founded by Aescwine.

529 CE: Justinian I begins to give state patronage to the cult of Jupiter Optimus Maximus, a monotheistic offshoot of graeco-roman paganism, seeing Jupiter Optimus Maximus as the only True God, while all other gods are nothing but inferior entitites. War against Persia.

530 CE: Hilderic is deposed by his brother Gelimer and forced to retire to a villa outside Carthage. Battle of Dara - Belisarius defeats the Persians and helps spark the beginning of rebellion against the Mazdakite Kavadh I.

531 CE: Hermanafrid High King of Germania assassinated by a Frankish noble. Kavadh I is assassinated by his own son Khosrau I, a staunch supporter of Zoroastrianism. His son orders the body of his father cut to pieces so that "it can be divided as he would have divided the wealth of Persia". His elder brother, Kawus proclaims himself King of Kings. Beginning of Mazdakite-Zoroastrian civil war.

532 CE: Nika Riots in Constantinople after Justinian redidicates the Great Temple of Sol Invictus to Jupiter Optimus Maximus. Alexandros XIII supports the riots. The Temple burns down. Belisarius massacres over 30000 rioters in the Hippodrome. The Legio I Lux Invicta joins the rebels. Alexandros XIII and Justinian negotiate and a compromise is reached. A new, even greater temple, the Temple of Hagia Sophia, Holy Wisdom, is to be built where both Sol Invictus and Jupiter Optimus Maximus are to be worshipped. Justinian also allows Alexandros XIII to remain in control of Constantinople and he departs the city to rule from his own capital at Nikomedeia.

533 CE: Justinian sends Belisarius to retake Africa from the Vandals. A great battle is fought at ad Decimum, Gelimer defeats Belisarius and takes him captive. Gelimer sends Belisarius back to Justinian with an offer of alliance against the Western Empire. Justinian accepts the offer.

534 CE: The Vandals and the Eastern Empire attack the Western Empire. The Vandal and Eastern Roman fleets win a great naval victory near Malta which leaves the allies masters of the Sea. Belisarius lands in Southern Italia while the Vandals start their campaign in Western Sicily.

535 CE: Belisarius is in control of most of Magna Graecia. The Vandal King Gelimer recieves the submission and vassalage of the Aetii of Panormus and of the Hieronids of Siracusa. Valentinian VII tries to have Gelimer assassinated but his assassination attempt fails. Gelimer's eldest son, also called Gelimer dies in the assassination attempt. Gelimer swears revenge.

536 CE: Belisarius takes Neapolis without a fight, the Julio-Argead ruler of Neapolis Alexandros Maximus openly welcomes Belisarius within the city. Gelimer begins his conquest of Sardinia. Belisarius's son Lucius, serving under Gelimer conquers the North of the Island. The Vandal King is so impressed by the young Lucius that he makes him hereditary lord of Arborea in order to secure his services.

537 CE: The Battle of Camlann is fought. The old Magnus Artorius, High King of Britannia is killed in single combat by Mordred, his son by the Saxon princess Aethelflaed, leading a Saxon coallition against the Britons. Mordred proclaims himself High King of Britannia, but the Britons elect Magnus Artorius II instead. Gelimer and Belisarius link up outside Capua. Together they defeat Valentinian VII in battle who flees to Rome. Belisarius decides to move North towards Ravenna, while Gelimer decides to besiege Rome.

538 CE: Gelimer offers to abandon the siege of Rome if Valentinian VII would face him in single combat outside the city walls. Valentinian VII agrees. A duel to the death is fought. Valentinian VII is killed and Gelimer honors his promise abandoning the siege of Rome. Valentinian VIII is proclaimed Emperor within the city.

539 CE: Gelimer leads a Vandal-Roman force in Corsica. The island falls to him. He appoints the Roman Cyrillus as governor. Belisarius receives the allegiance of Quintus Honorius, the hereditary military governor of Ravenna. Gabran mac Domangairt is king of Dal Riata. Khosrau I emerges victorious in the Zoroastrian-Mazdakite Sassanid civil war. His brother Kawus is spared after he abandons Mazdakism and is named as satrap of Mazandaran. An embittered Kawus turns to the worship of Ruha d-Qudsha.

540 CE: Quintus Honorius confirmed as hereditary Exarch of Ravenna by both Eastern Emperors. Belisarius recieves the sbumission of Mediolanum. Beowulf, legendary King of the Geats raids the Frankish lands. Gelimer finalizes the conquest of the Baleares. Alexandros XIII sends Narses to Italia with a secondary Roman army under his control.

542 CE: Taliesin the Bard, son-in-law of Maelgwn ap Cadwallon, King of Gwynned dies. His son Mael made sub-King in Perfeddwlad. Belisarius and Narses continue to campaign in Italia refusing to cooperate with each other. Gelimer attacks Southern Hispania.

544 CE: Gelimer is in control of most of Baetica. His favorite son Genseric is killed by a Roman assassin, on the orders of Valentinian VIII, while leading a Vandal force to support Belisarius in Italia. Upon hearing the news Gelimer vows eternal enmity to Rome. "Roma delenda est" he proclaims vowing to choke Valentinian VIII in his own blood.

546 CE: Gelimer besieges Carthago Nova. The Theodosian general and magnate Publius Theodosius defects. He is appointed hereditary Exarch of Etruria by Alexandros XIII. Belisarius is sent to Tripolitania to subdue the Berbers.

547 CE: Ida founds an Anglian kingdom in Bernicia. The Amanaya Berbers of Tripolitania accept Roman sovereignty once more. Carthago Nova falls to Gelimer. Gelimer intends to proclaim himself Emperor of Carthage and start a direct campaign against Rome. He is assassinated while praying before the Imperial Crowning ceremony, on the orders of Valentinian VIII. His last words are "Roma delenda est." A vicious succession war starts among the Vandal nobility.

548 CE: Belisarius sent to Baetica to try to establish Roman control after the Gundericing prince Rhaderic in control of Carthago Nova offers to become a client king in exchange for support. Belisarius extends Roman control in Baetica.

549 CE: Munderic, a Hasdingi prince is confirmed as client king of Western Baetica after submitting to Belisarius. Alexandros XIII arrives in Italia deciding to prosecute the war against Rome in person.

550 CE: Gaiseric, a Wisimarid vandal prince in control of territories on both sides of the Pillars of Hercules submits to Belisarius and is confirmed client King. Alexandros XIII besieges Rome.

551 CE: All out war erupts in the East against the Sassanids. Military forces are diverted from Italia and the West to fight the Sassanids. Alexandros XIII abandons the siege of Rome. The Great Gokturk Khaganate is established under the leader of the legendary Bumin of the Ashina. Several nomadic tribes submit to the rule of the Celestial Turks.

553 CE: Valentia submits to Belisarius. Justinian confirms Marius Severus as hereditary Exarch of the new Exarchate of Valentia. Kara Khan is Great Khagan of the Gokturks.

554 CE: Alexandros XIII negotiates with Valentinian VIII. He accepts Valentinian VIII as co-Emperor in an attempt to reunite the Empire. Alexandros XIII enters Rome in Triumph. A great ceremony is held, Alexandros XIII reconsecrating the Heart of Sol on the Palatine Hill. Alexandros XIII awarded the title "Restorer of the World".

555 CE: Athanagild is High King of the Visigoths and self-proclaimed Emperor of Hispania. Muhan Khan is Great Khagan of the Gokturks. Justinian funds Persian Zurvanite rebels. Zurvanites believing in Zurvan, the God of Infinite Time and Space, the One Alone is widely worshipped in the South and West of the Sassanid Empire. Ardashir, the Bahramid Satrap of Khermanshah and Darius the Kurusid Satrap of Fars (a descendant of Cyrus the Great) join the rebellion.

556 CE: Alexandros XIII has Valentinian VIII assassinated. It is said that Alexandros XIII watches the murder and whispers to the dying Valentinian: "your end is only fitting." While he publicly proclaims his innocence, Alexandros XIII does not appoint Valentinian's son co-Emperor. He orders a two pronged attack from Provincia and Valentia to reestablish control over the Western coastline of the Mediterranean. Preparations are being made for this vast enterprise.

557 CE: Kutrigur Huns under Zabergan pour through Dacia and Sarmatia into the Balkans. Alexandros XIII has to divert troops from the West to fight them.

560 CE: Aella is King of Deira. Believing that he is about to invade Southern Gallia, the Merovingian High King Clotaire is assassinated by agents of Alexandros XIII. The Frankish kingdoms of Northern Gallia fight among each other for the High Kingship.

562 CE: The North Eastern coastline of Hispania is conquered by Narses. The area of Catalonia is turned into a military province under the Valentian Exarchate.

565 CE: Khosrau I makes peace with the Zurvanite Satraps allowing full toleration of Zurvanism within the Empire. Justinian is assassinated on the orders of Alexandros XIII, although his murder is disguised as the result of Persian agents. His son Justin is appointed hereditary military governor of the military province of Nikaea, but is not appointed co-Emperor. Alexandros XIII is sole Emperor of the Roman Empire. On the 25th of December gigantic ceremonies of Thanksgiving to Sol are held in the great cities of the Empire. Alexandros XIII proclaims himself to be "Sol, Maintainer and Redeemer of the World."

567 CE: Avars under Bayan Khan pour into Pannonia, as a result Lombards and Gepids start to migrate West. In recognition of his services, Belisarius is appointed hereditary military governor of Laodikeia.

568 CE: Lombards invade Roman Northern Italia. Underestimating the Lombard threat, Alexandros XIII marches at the head of 3 legions, including the Legio I Roma Victrix to meet the Lombards in battle. The Romans are overwhelmed, the Legio I Roma Victrix dies to a man defending Alexandros XIII, but the Emperor is ultimately captured by the Lombards.

569 CE: The captive Alexandros XIII cedes the province of Mediolanum and other Italian territories to the Lombards. The general Maurice, commander of the Scholae is proclaimed Emperor in Constantinople. Alexandros's son proclaimed co-Emperor in Alexandria, as Alexandros XIV. Persian attacks on the Eastern borders. Avars attack into the Balkans. The Visigoths attack the Exarchate of Valentia.

570 CE: The Lombard duchy of Spoleto is created under Faroald. Amanaya Berbers rebel. Vandals begin a vast campaign of raiding against the Empire. The Roman fleet is defeated outside Capua.

571 CE: Lombards continue to rampage throughout the Italian peninsula avoiding the heavily defended military provinces. They besiege Rome and tell their captive Alexandros XIII to order the city to surrender. The garrison refuses to listen to the Emperor. Alboin declares the Emperor to have outlived his usefulness. He has the Emperor burned alive in view of the city walls, after mockingly placing a solar crown upon his head. Alexandros XIII calmly proclaims that Alboin will be dead within a year and that as Sun Emperor fire will only make him ascend to Godhood, before being consumed by the flames.

572 CE: Alboin assassinated as the result of the treachery of his wife Rosamund, less than a year after Alexandros XIII's pronouncement.

573 CE: Dara falls to Khosrau. Alexandros XIV and Maurice recognize each other as co-Emperors.

576 CE: Maurice defeats Khosrau in the Battle of Melitene. Alexandros XIV campaigns against the Amanaya Berbers.

578 CE: Maurice establishes the Gothic military province of Ancona to combat the Lombards. Ostrogoths from the Balkans are settled there, under the new hereditary governor Magnus Areobindus, of the famed Romano-Gothic family.

579 CE: Slavs pour into the Balkans. Alexandros XIV is killed in battle by the Amanaya Berbers while leading a cavalry charge in person. Seen as a descendant of Amun and Alexandros, the Emperor's body is taken by the Amanaya Berbers and made into an object of worship. Maurice does not appoint any of Alexandros's sons as co-Emperor and is now sole Roman Emperor.

581 CE: Gokturk civil war between the three Great Khans, Ishbara, Talopien and Tardu.

584 CE: Maurice campaigns against the Avars and the Slavs in the Balkans. Kubrat is Khan of the Bulgars. Authari is High King of the Lombards. He begins a new campaign of conquest in Italia.

585 CE: Saint Leogivild, Visigothic Emperor of Hispania converts to Catholicism and attempts to convert his vassal Kings and is completely unsuccessful. Widescale rebellion follows throughout the peninsula.

586 CE: Battle of The Sacred Cross - The Catholics under Leogivild hold their ground defending the King and his Sacred Cross banner given to him by the Pope, their refusal to surrender leaves them in control of the field.

588 CE: Leogivild defeats a coallition army led by King Viriathus X of Lusitania near Plasencia. He pardons the rebellious King and all the other prisoners, proclaiming "God loves all His errant children." Aethelric is King of Northumbria. Maurice narrowly escapes an assassination attempt by the Julio-Argeadai party and retreats to the safety of the Imperial palace, turning it into a virtual fortress.

589 CE: Leogivild defeats a new coallition of Kings near Astorga. He pardons all prisoners, including the captured vassal kings, and is hailed as The Great and Merciful.

590 CE: Leogivild holds a great ceremony of Thanksgiving in Toledo, proclaiming Hispania to be Catholic. The very next day, while praying in the royal chapel he is set about by several vassal kings, he had formerly pardoned. He receives 13 mortal wounds before expiring. His last words are: "Forgive them Lord, they know no better." He is later sainted and proclaimed Patron Saint of Hispania by the Catholic Church. Hispania descends into anarchy.

591 CE: Maurice forments civil war in Persia between Khosrau II and Bahram Chobin. Large sums of money are paid to Zurvanite rebels.

593 CE: Agilulf, High King of the Lombards besieges Rome. Maurice refuses to send help, being concerned with the vast scale troubles in the Balkans, caused by the Avars and the Slavs.

595 CE: A great Council is held in Toledo. The Council achieves nothing, but furthers religious dissent between the Kings of Hispania. The Kings of Hispania refuse to accept Catholicism. Leogivild's eldest son Hermenegild is the only Catholic King left in the peninsula. He is passed over as Emperor, and his younger brother Reccared, an Adoptionist is elected Emperor instead. Theodemer I, the Arian Euricing King of Leon famously proclaims: "So called Catholic Monarchs have no place in Hispania."

599 CE: Raedwald of East Anglia proclaims himself High King of Eastern Britannia.

Last edited:
I've fast forwarded over this century - although to an outsider it might not look like it hehe. I originally thought that I would give more explanation to the going ons in England and the Steppes at least... but talking too much about long dead Khagans and the insanity of infighting in Britannia between 939039309303 minor kings would have bloated things greatly and achieved little but confuse I believe. In any case people should understand Hispania a bit better I hope at least.

Im impressed and overwhelmed. Frankly between the backstory and the other changes (ie the wildly expanded number of buildings) I find the Lux Invictus mod daunting. That hasnt stopped me from enjoying my game as he Sun Emperors though.