• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

Just a few questions Doomdark:

1. Were you involved in designing or programming CK1 or Deus Vult? Why is it that this game is so much superior and better looking than that game?

2. Which game design decisions are you most proud of making?

3. Does any of your family members, like parents, wife, or son/daughter play the game you make? :)

4. Can you briefly say what's the #1 thing you want to achieve with CK2?

Thanks!

While balancing the game and creating AI - did you try to prevent strange outcomes (like Muslims conquering Scandinavia or Spain conquering Hungary) or rather assume that CK2 is about alternative history and everything should be possible?
Personally I'd like to see some directive for the AI conquer rather those provinces, to which it would have land or naval access - did you think for something like this?
Thank you for answering my questions and Marry Christmas!

In the 1200s the Catholics and the Orthodox were really interested in converting the Mongols. (If I remember correctly, missionaries actually met Batu Khan and threatened him with fires of hell. Batu responded by saying they were his guests and sought to convert him, so threats weren't the best way to proceed.) In the end, the Muslims were more successful, but retrospectively it could have been entirely possible to have a Christian Golden Horde.

Will the game represent this? Shall there be an event chain for example? Or is it only the matter of a child catching the province's religion or something?

That would be a really cool thing to be represented in the game!

Just a few questions Doomdark:

1. Were you involved in designing or programming CK1 or Deus Vult? Why is it that this game is so much superior and better looking than that game?

I was involved with the design of Crusader Kings (and also programmed parts of the AI), but not Deus Vult. Why is this game superior? Hehe, well, it's a sequel. We're building on lessons drawn from CK. Also, we have some really competent graphics programmers (Tegus, Birken) on board these days. :)

2. Which game design decisions are you most proud of making?

Well, I think the opinion system turned out really well.

3. Does any of your family members, like parents, wife, or son/daughter play the game you make? :)

Regrettably, no. They're all far too normal. :)

4. Can you briefly say what's the #1 thing you want to achieve with CK2?

I want to create the ultimate medieval strategy sandbox experience.

In the 1200s the Catholics and the Orthodox were really interested in converting the Mongols. (If I remember correctly, missionaries actually met Batu Khan and threatened him with fires of hell. Batu responded by saying they were his guests and sought to convert him, so threats weren't the best way to proceed.) In the end, the Muslims were more successful, but retrospectively it could have been entirely possible to have a Christian Golden Horde.

Will the game represent this? Shall there be an event chain for example? Or is it only the matter of a child catching the province's religion or something?

That would be a really cool thing to be represented in the game!

No, but I agree it would be really cool. :)

Will we be able to support or submit to the authority of antipope appointed by another ruler?

I wish you all - merry Christmas, happy Kwanza, happy Hanukkah (even if it was yesterday) and happy other holidays I didn't mention that they were, are and will be! :) ;) :D

Last edited:
Is there an equivalent to EU III's 'history' button in CKII?

I always found it fun to read the history of my nation and what various rulers have accomplished.

Merry christmas!

Will we be able to support or submit to the authority of antipope appointed by another ruler?

I wish you all - merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, happy Kwanza and happy other holidays I didn't mention! :) ;) :D

Not directly, no, but your bishops might decide to pay taxes to the antipope instead.

Is there an equivalent to EU III's 'history' button in CKII?

I always found it fun to read the history of my nation and what various rulers have accomplished.

Merry christmas!

'Fraid not (at this time.) Merry Christmas!