• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial
An Alternative History Affair

Chapter 5: Hammering Blow
Part One

Rumors had spread far and wide about possible French interests. A small detachment of the Mediterranean Fleet consisting of six ships of the line, and twelve frigates of various numbers of guns had departed Marsilles and was headed towards Gibraltar. British observers noted the fleet passing through the Straits of Gibraltar on July 13th, 1839. Unknown to the world though, the remaining portion of the Mediterranean Fleet, consisting of nine ships of the line and the thirteen frigates had sailed for Tunis with a detachment of nine thousand additional sailors.

Tunis, a state nominally under the protection of the crumbling Ottoman Empire was the target of Napoleon II. It was highly unlikely that the Ottoman Empire would raise serious issue with the declaration of a French protectorate over Tunis. Though if an issue was raised, France would certainly be capable of dispensing with the dilapidated navy and army of the aged empire. On July 17th, the first shots were fired against Tunis as they bombarded the city. The defenders, though aware of the French fleet for numerous days, were caught off guard by the early morning bombardment.

An off and on again exchange of fire between shore batteries and the gathered fleet lasted for a week, before the French army had begun disembarking for the shore. The battle for Tunis was a week behind schedule; the general and admiral in charge of the invasion thought an imminent disaster was about to befall the soldiers. However, the defenders had been unable to gather up a force of capable resistance. The battle for Tunis began on July 24th and was over before mid-afternoon on July 26th. Only an estimated three thousand soldiers gathered to defend the Bey of Tunis.

With the city of Tunis under French control, the next step of the establishment of a protectorate began. Reinforcements began arriving from Algeria and assisting in the suppression of the countries resistance. The fanatics would fight a desperate struggle, a struggle that clearly both sides knew they could not win. On February 9th, 1840, Tunis was officially annexed into the French Empire.

Rounding out 1839, a few discoveries and other important events unfolded. In October the Guards Engineer Regiment had completed its training; while an additional five infantry regiments worth of soldiers were conscripted into serving in the Army. Late into December, funding was approved for a series of forts along the border with Prussia and Baden in Alsace-Lorraine. Reaching back to his days of a youth in Austria, the Emperor had personally helped design the fortifications.

Last edited:
The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial

Part Two

The reign of the House of Bonaparte was slowly modifying the landscape of the nobility in the upper house of the assembly. In the New Year the Bonapartists further increased their control to twenty three percent, with the conservatives and reactionaries losing additional seats, but still holding a majority. The conservatives had nothing to fear though from the rise of liberalism, as Napoleon II served as a barrier to universal freedom desired by most of the liberal party. Why the liberal party was named after Bonaparte was a bit misleading, but never the less the name stuck.

In the middle of January, three wars came to an end. First of all, Tunis had officially become a protectorate of France. Secondly, Sardinia-Piedmont annexed Modena while the Papal States increased their holdings to include Tuscany. The cost of this little war, backed by Napoleon II had cost little but gained much. Austria’s resolve was proven to be a charade, though her attention was divided between the Italian lands and the Germanic states; where Prussia was ramping up its rhetoric for Prussian domination.

Europe after the annexations of Modena and Tuscany.​

With the nations of Prussia and Austria fighting a war of words, France sought to strengthen its influence within the region. Instead of focusing on attempting to influence the minor players within Germany, the Emperor and the inner circle elected for a policy of containment. France would begin appealing to the senses of Tsar Alexander II of Russia and King Christian VIII of Denmark. Russia was eager not to see a unified German state; which would most likely challenge Russia’s dominance in Poland and Denmark sought protection regardless of unified or un-unified German state. This policy would begin paying off as on April 14th, Denmark officially was part of France’s sphere of influence.

If a war were to break out involving the Germanic states, France would most likely intervene; though her intentions were hidden to all but a few. Most speculated though that France sought to attain control once more of the left bank of the Rhine. The speculators were not far off in their job. Like his father, the son’s plans for Germany were nearly identical. However, if France were to act upon these desires of remolding Europe she would be seen as the aggressor which would greatly hasten the rise of coalition to fight Bonaparte.

Last edited:
I really like your AAR. Keep up the good job!

So Tunis is in your SOI, but not annexed? Did you not have the infamy to spare?
How come the Ottomans failed to regain Tripoli?! I've ever seen that before.

Nice work supporting Sardinia!

Finally, you must prevent German unification by all means!

So Tunis is in your SOI, but not annexed? Did you not have the infamy to spare?
How come the Ottomans failed to regain Tripoli?! I've ever seen that before.

Nice work supporting Sardinia!

Finally, you must prevent German unification by all means!

Tunis is a protectorate of the French Empire - it is directly under the control of France in game.

I'm not sure how the Ottomans failed to regain Tripoli, I paid some attention to it and it seems what happened was Tripoli got lucky and destroyed the army the Ottomans had there, and they never sent reinforcements.

Nice work supporting Sardinia, yeah...just wait until you see what they bring me into soon!

Prevent German unification should be relatively easy. I'm going to really aim for a series of moderately sized states. That's why I'm attempting to keep Italy divided between 3 states: Sardinia-Piedmont, Papal States & Two Sicilies. If one of these states was to unify Italy completely, I'd take action against them. Cannot have potential rivals sitting on the borders with France!

but the unification of Italy was always an objective in Napoleon I and III politics!

Yeah but Napoleon II is smarter than I and III, a unified Italy is far more dangerous to France than a fragmented one, this goes the same for Germany. Somehow the French should also strive for a Spanish break up, for example encourage Basque and Catalonian nationalism, and break up of Leon and Castille...

Yeah but Napoleon II is smarter than I and III, a unified Italy is far more dangerous to France than a fragmented one, this goes the same for Germany. Somehow the French should also strive for a Spanish break up, for example encourage Basque and Catalonian nationalism, and break up of Leon and Castille...

You have to think that it might backfire slightly. Because when you have Spain splitting up, then you have, say the Brittons or Basque in France thinking "If they did it, why can't we?". Though I do agree that splitting up Spain would be a good plan in game terms.

if Napoléon II is smarter as you say, he should understand that a powerful and reliable ally was what missed his father. Italy could be this ally. Italy should be this ally!

if Napoléon II is smarter as you say, he should understand that a powerful and reliable ally was what missed his father. Italy could be this ally. Italy should be this ally!

and I think not. The thing about it is, Italy is a bad choice because you're going to be spending the early parts of the alliance fighting Austria, and unless you wish to fight Austria at this time, I would suggest not.

I think that the UK or USA or Austria or Russia would make a far better ally. Stronger, but not right in the backyard of France (slightly different for UK)...

Yeah okay, maybe Spain was a bit overdone in fragmentation (in real life, Spain in the 19th century was just weak...so no real threats...but this is Victoria :p) Furthermore, a different type of government is in France now than in Spain for instance. Much more centralization and a feeling for being French, but not real regionalism as in Spain...relatively speaking of course :D, so it could be justified. But still there is a point there. But I think that allies should be sought elsewhere.

Tim

and I think not. The thing about it is, Italy is a bad choice because you're going to be spending the early parts of the alliance fighting Austria, and unless you wish to fight Austria at this time, I would suggest not.

And I support the unification of Italy, because if you say that Napoleon II is smart, then he will try to split Austria into several states, and by so making Italy a viable ally. Well, unless they want to go communist.

I believe that France should try to make Spain a 100% liberal state, because, historically speaking, Spain was a divided country between Absolutists and Liberals, and if Napoleon is really smart, then he can really make it possible. If this isn't possible, then make Portugal liberal and use it to contain Spain.

Also, great AAR!!!! Hope France will be as glorious as I think it will be. Liberté! Égalité! Fraternité! Pour tout le monde!!!!!! Vive Napoleon II!!!!! VIVE LA FRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

A formidable ally is nice; however also a threat. One thing Victoria does not model well is the Napoleonic style of satellite states. Italy, if unified would certainly become a Great Power; which would challenge France for control of colonies and sphere of influence. Same goes for Germany. Reading into books about the Napoleonic Wars, Napoleon I was quite close to actually establishing an alliance with Russia. This would be quite formidable and is what I'm aiming for. Russia's interests in game are mostly towards Asia, while my main ambition resides until about Russia's border.

We will see how it goes.

well, that is indeed plausible. While it would not be possible to create a pseudo-sattellite State in Italy, there isn't anything stopping you from doing so to other former Napoleonic client states, Poland in particular is in need of liberation from it's Prussian and Austrian occupiers.

Still I'd rather take it easy.

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial

Part Three

In early October of 1840, rumors of war were spreading between Potsdam, Vienna and Paris. The states of Prussia and Austria were vying for control of the smaller Germanic states; and each nation was threatening war. Paris became involved when a threat was thrown against Denmark by the Austrian ambassador to the country. The ambassador had suggested that Austria should control the entire non-island holdings of Denmark. If such an action were taken, Paris would defend her loyal ally. Luckily though, all the bickering between the nations amounted to nothing but a war of words; though it was likely armed conflict would eventually arise over who was dominant in central Europe.

In the midst of the war of words over central Europe, a diplomatic insult arrived from London. In July the foreign minister, Charles Lucien Bonaparte, the nephew of Emperor Napoleon I, had been dispatched to London on a special mission to further a bilateral policy between the two nations. After months of talking and late night dinners, a dispatch had arrived back to Emperor Napoleon II of the frustration and unwillingness of the British to agree to anything with the French state. In late November, Charles Bonaparte returned back to Paris with his once amiable sense of the British forever being ruined.

Frustrated but not defeated, the French foreign ministry increased its diplomatic assault to increase relations with targeted states. If Britain was unable to realize that France was a serious power, then she would have to be brought down a notch. The United States of America and the French Empire further increased their relations by renewing the military alliance. In addition, France conceded all territorial ambitions within the ear shot of the United States. Rumors of war were rampant within the United States; Britain had been unwilling to concede land Americans claimed that belonged to Maine or talks about the Washington Territory.

Secondly, Denmark was targeted for increased relations for numerous reasons. By supporting Denmark, France could claim a valid interest in well being of north central Europe. Control of Copenhagen also allowed great benefits of controlling access to the Baltic, which Russia and Prussia depended on for vital trade to Britain. Possible leverage could be attained against both nations if a state of war were to exist between them and France. Lastly, Denmark was overly hostile towards Britain – memories of the destruction of the fleet at Copenhagen during the Napoleonic Wars still lived strong.

Thirdly, Belgium was targeted. While supported by Britain and France, the nation played a pivotal role. It offered the shortest distance between mainland Europe and Britain. The modest army and navy of the stated also offered benefit to the growing French navy. If the navies of France, Denmark, Portugal and the United States were combined, it was thought that the British Royal Navy would be severely stretched to the limit, leaving the vital trade of the nation open to target and even a possible invasion of the Home Islands. But for now, France played a game, just waiting for the next chance to flex its military muscle.

Last edited:
The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial

Part Four

In 1841, a memorandum went out to the generals of the army warning about the forthcoming dangers that France faced. France, while numerically superior to most nations’ population wise, would certainly face a coalition of nations that would overwhelm its forces, similar to what happened after the late Emperor Napoleon I’s adventure into Russia. The memorandum laid out the strategy that the Emperor Napoleon II and the general staff had planned with the utmost precision.

In case of general European war, which was the most feared scenario, France would most likely find itself outnumbered within a matter of months unless decisive blows could be inflicted upon the coalition nations. Members of the coalition were thought to be, Great Britain, Prussia, Austria, Russia and possibly Sweden and Naples, essentially the exact same enemies that Napoleon I had faced in the numerous coalitions against him. A few of the members of the possible coalition would be easy to handle, or at least that is what perceived by the general staff.

Considering Naples; the nation would most likely prove ineffective, given its recent trumping by Sardinia-Piedmont and French troops. The possibility of Naples was joining was slight, unless she was offered additional concessions rather than regaining her lost territory of Sicily. Though if Naples did join, it would most likely secure Sardinia-Piedmont and the Papal States allegiance to France’s cause in hopes of being securing additional concessions from Naples.

Sweden offered a bit of a challenge, while theoretically within striking distance she was well protected. If Britain was part of the coalition; which it most likely would be, striking at Sweden would be nearly impossible. The most likely scenario if Sweden joined the war was to dispatch reinforcements to Denmark to assist in the defense of the country that would block of Sweden and Russia’s access to the North Sea. Getting troops to Denmark would be a daunting task within itself. Transportation by sea was ruled out, so a long route across Belgium, the Netherlands, and several Germanic states.

Marching across Germanic states brought in a dangerous question. How would Prussia and Austria act if French troops marched across Germanic soil to Denmark? It was with no doubt that Prussia and Austria, given the right circumstances would certainly join the coalition. Austria it thought posed to be the weaker of these two nations and could certainly be disgraced and forced to drop out of the coalition. Prussia would be one of the biggest wild cards. Perhaps Prussia would stand by if France offered to honor its territorial integrity and perhaps enhance it with further gains.

Russia. Enough could not be said without Russia. The major mistake of the late Emperor Napoleon had been to invade Russia. By all possible means, seeing Russia within the coalition was to be avoided. If Russia were in a coalition, it would not be invaded. Its armies would be defeated on the battlefield and allowed to retreat, but it would not be invaded, even if it was the last member standing within the coalition.

Britain, the long time rival of France would most likely be the head of the coalition. Britain’s navy posed the most dangers, as it could freely transit troops without little resistance. Britain would have to be dealt with, but the question was always how? An invasion of the Home Islands while feasible would be dangerous and potentially cause massive destabilization to the reign of Napoleon II if the invasion failed. If the invasion were to succeed what terms would be reasonable? The utter destruction of Britain would never be acceptable, as other nations would certainly be concerned about France’s overwhelming power. The most sensible approach seemed to be stripping Britain of her colonies on which she was vitally dependent on.
Certainly the new decade of Emperor Napoleon II’s reign held a lot of greatness for France; though the chance for despair and utter ruin were an equal possibility. Whatever the outcome, France would have to tread carefully otherwise she would find herself tread upon.

Last edited:
A grand European war is rightly feared. That must be avoided. Some proxy wars first perhaps? Let some of the powers be preoccupied and then strike? Would be filled with trouble if it's discovered though.

I agree with Nikolai. Another European War is out of the question. The best objective would be to keep Prussia and Austria at odds with each other, since both countries would be wanting to unite Germany and would be rivals in doing so. As long as you have Alsace and Lorraine, that would keep a united Germany from happening. Though count on Prussia to ruin that fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.