• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For those using Vista/7 who could not find the settings file: Did you try hitting the "Compatability Files" option on the folder? That should show you some other files/folders, including settings.txt, if it was not initially visible.

Or at least, that is how it works for me.

One battle, and I would have broken Mexico's back. Then the game ended. I nearly avoided the ACW too, even without using the Cuba claim decision. Steamrolled the CSA like butter. The ACW began in middle/late 1849.

It's waaaaaay too many random events, I think I got close to 100 on one of them alone.:p Feels like that at least. I once got no less than 3 of them the same day.

Thank you, I might have to retire after this. It could all be down hill from here. :)

Thank you and the entire team working on this. It promises to be a great game.

Though I have to say, it's a bit weird seeing you without a Vicky 2 icon. :eek:

Is anybody else getting Artisans that cannot be profitable? I have their taxes at 0% and some of them still can't get life goods. Just wondering if anybody else was getting this.

I noticed a few typos in a few places but forgot to take note of them, sorry.

I got my economy to stabalize after a brief war in which Mexico kicked my ass to the Moon. After the War they demanded an Alliance, and I saw that almost all of their huge army was nothing but mobilized troops. I then got USCA and Colombia in my sphere and am working on Venezuela and Peru while fighting the UK for Liberia. I don't know if these activities contributed to my economy stabalizing.

My budget settings: 50% tax on poor, none on rest. Every spending slider at max. I don't know why it worked now, because earlier it didn't.

Can I also say that I love the debt system? I know that some people will decry the fact that you can get alot of debt for almost no interest (from your own countries bank, at least), but I love it. It lets you crank up your debt during wartime and then repay it during peace, but it can also sneak up on you if you're not careful and you'll be paying off interest for the rest of your life.

Just wanted to say nice job for Podcat on locking down the demo. hehe not only can i not edit the events or other txts, i cant even use cheat engine and mod my money :D Pretty sneaky stuff pod hehe

Sorry I am repeating myself but I would like to know if it is not a bug having only one war declared by AI during 15 years.

I saw many wars during my playthrough, including an epic Prussia-Austria bash, a UK-China stalemate, French and Spanish conquests in North Africa, the UK conquest of Punjab, the Colombian invasion of Brazil....

After a brief walk into the demo I'm not too impressed. Unlike Vicky it works from the get go. I don't need to adjust budget sliders first, or care about certain goods (i.e. machine parts) and the capitalists deny to build my own factories. Altogether it feels like a lack of control and micromanagement to me. Also the music doesn't fit well to this era.

To sum it up, it feels more like EU than Victoria. One can just let it run and make some adjustments (or decisions) now and then.

Maybe these impressions are wrong and of course I will give it another try, but for now I'm rather disapointed. :(

I've been playing for about 3-4 hours now. I love it, exactly what I expected, cannot wait for the full thing!

EDIT

Oh a minor annoyance I have had so far is that there is no link to the states population data when the state is selected. I know how to do it via the population tab but it would have been nice to have a direct link from the state selection aswell.

one thing i miss from vicky1 was when you clicked on a province, it would highlight the entire state first, and one more click would highlight the province. This made it easier to see the state's pop and factories, among other things.

Classic music, like in Vicky.

I dumped all my classical music into the folder and it runs fine. You can even dump victoria 1 soundtrack in there.

Classic music, like in Vicky.

Yes, it's not like the classic music in Vicky, but the music still fits the era pretty well. Or would waltz fit Hearts of Iron or Europa Universalis better? I don't think so.

I think you can still take the musics from Vicky into V2. :)

(I'm not arguing about if the soundtrack is good or not. That's a matter of taste.)

I wasn't really expecting the demo to work for me, my computer is too old, but it went fine (even if a bit slow) for two minutes. Two minutes! :)

I could zoom in, click on a few provinces in the USA/Canada, put the political map on, look on Texas, then zoom out, cross the Atlantic, have a short peek at Europe, and then.. back to reality, it crashed. I didn't even had the time to unpause.

So well, I'll have to wait 2-3 months for new computer, now that I cant really play. But everything will come in due time, and by then there will probably be one or two patches making this splendid game even better. So thank you Paradox or this new game, I only wish I had the infrastructure to run it.:( (And this is no critic, this is entirely my problem)

Is it WAD that I cannot recruit any regiments form anything but Yankee? I do have soldier POPs of Dixie and of some other minor cultures, but the only thing that appears is Yankee. This could also be part of the problem with weak CSAs.

First impression of demo: too dark and too bright

The map hurts my eyes.

The zoomed out political map looks nice and bright and colorful. Then I zoom in and the map changes to HOI3 style. No problem until I try to read some province names. I can't read forest or mountain provinces in France.

Try reading the names of the Swiss provinces in political map mode, you have to strain to do so. The text and province borders in dark-colored countries and map modes are very difficult to see, especially in mountains or forests.

As far as I can tell there is no way to switch off the terrain for a simpler view.

Okay, so I turn the gamma way up, problem solved, right? Then I zoom out to the colorful political map and it is bleached white due to high gamma.

Zooming in and out (which I often do to move across the map) has this unpleasant dark bright dark bombardment on my eyes.

Anyone else have this issue?

I'm getting some interface lag at about the 1842/3 mark. It is to be noted, however, that this is my third game without restarting the program (including all of the tutorials), so that may have something to do with it.