• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking forward to seeing what Germany is going to do :)

But Japan is catching up now, finally, so the end game is going to be very interresting.
I'm also wondering what Germany is going to do :)

Keeping those union partners might be problematic.
Do you still have vassals the AI could annex to ruin the relations?
I have Vijayanagar, Bijapur, Madurai, Travanocore, Ceylon and Sind as vassals. So yes, the AI has plenty of opportunity to mess up things.

A good couple of turned for Japan, but perhaps not good enough; can we see some comparisions between Japan and Germany? (Tech levels, Expenditure and Income, Diplomatic mapmode etc)
In the next turn, at the end of Japan's thirty year rule, I will give a comparison between both nations.

Well, it took a lot of bonuses for the Japanese team, but it looks closer to an even fight now. I still think Japan has an uphill battle to fight, though.

How do the Americas look right now? Japan would be in a much stronger position if it managed to grab a big chunk of the New World while Germany fights the entrenched European powers...

Well, it took a lot of bonuses for the Japanese team, but it looks closer to an even fight now. I still think Japan has an uphill battle to fight, though.

Japan still has a turn to go, where knul can consolidate his claims. The ultimate goal is now to PU and inherit Ming. Until Germany arrives, Japan is now the biggest, meanest kid on the block and can do whatever it likes in Asia.

How do the Americas look right now? Japan would be in a much stronger position if it managed to grab a big chunk of the New World while Germany fights the entrenched European powers...
Indeed, Japan isn't there yet.

As for the Americas, I have to disagree with you here. First, colonies are worthwile if you are dedicated to it (NIs and such), which Japan isn't and won't be. Second, I don't trust the AI to properly defend Asia in the Final Battle if Japan has territories in America. Third, colonies won't give much manpower or force limits, things I very much need for the final battle.

Japan still has a turn to go, where knul can consolidate his claims. The ultimate goal is now to PU and inherit Ming. Until Germany arrives, Japan is now the biggest, meanest kid on the block and can do whatever it likes in Asia.
Indeed. Asia must be controlled by Japan as first priority.

That was an inspired move to give the Japanese a shot in the arm and leave the Germans on the bench
Japan has really consolidated its tech advantage, now to consolidate its political ones.
Thanks. I must admit that I think that this solution is quite elegant. Otherwise I had to give Japan a boost by cheating or nerf Germany even more, both of which I consider less appealing.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 12, first half:
Japan: ascendancy.

Jim: Hello, everyone, welcome back to Double Domination! The third consecutive half-turn is starting for the Japanese team.

Bob: It looks like the team is focussing on economic development. More and more treasuries are build on the Japanese isles, improving the tax income bit by bit. Also, Japan annexe its vassal Sind, giving it access to the trade centre of Kutch. Now two centres of trade are under a Japanese supermonopoly. Too bad the low trade competitiveness of the Japanese merchants prevent them from getting much foreign trade.

Jim: Still, our contestants do not shy away from military expansion as well. When Assam's king loses his legitimacy in 1621, the Japanese are quick to intervene. Even with the aid of Ming and Tibet, Assam quickly loses and becomes yet another Union partner.

Bob: Stability increases year by year and in 1624, stability is at its peak. This enables emperor Saiin to modernise the army, making Japan finally the equal to the finest European nations.

1624-06milmodernisation.png

Jim: Due to the intensive exchange of ideas with Europe, Government technology level 17 is reached in 1626, which enables Japanese society to support another National Idea. After eighty years, Japan once again becomes a great Patron of the Arts.

1626-02newidea.png

Bob: It's very much needed, in my opinion. Japan hasn't had a decent advisor in decades.

Jim: Well, at least our contestants don't need a good diplomat. Infamy is almost zero, after all.

Bob: I think that's also the reason for this new war Japan started. Malacca has gotten new Confucian provinces due to zealots, which provides Japan with a religious liberation casus belli. Sibir, a steppe nation, and Bengal help out their ally, but are no match for Japan's technological superiority. In 1628, Malacca surrenders and agrees to give five provinces, two of which are Confucian.

Jim: The rest of their turn doesn't see any more action. After an exhausting thirty years, the Japanese turn over the timeline to the German team.

Bob: Let's take a look at what the Japanese team has accomplished during all of this, shall we? First, territory.

1630-01mapofjapan.png

Jim: The increase in directly administered territory is relatively modest. The annexation of Sind and the conquests in south-east Asia isn't that much for a thirty year period. However, the amount of subject nations sky-rocketed. First, five union partners that broke away were brought back under Japanese control. After that unionising Manchu and Assam added large amounts of territory under indirect control of Kyoto. With five vassals and eight union partners, Japan controls a large part of Asia.

Bob: This means that Japan's economy has grown large as well, with only the German and Spanish economies outstripping it.

1629-10nationcomparison.png

Jim: Funny detail: Byzantium, being a very small Greek nation now with Constantinople lost, is perhaps the biggest trading nation out there, with the removal of Holland and all the German nations. Most trade goods are dominated by Byzantine traders:

1630-01byzantinetrade.png

Bob: The neighbour bonuses of Japan add another 2600 ducats per year, enabling Japan to develop new technologies at a rapid pace. Germany now has a combined tech level of 125, one of the highest in the world. Japan has a combined tech level of 80.

Jim: But what about income per province, Bob? Most of our scientific staff agree that it's a good measure of how quickly a nation can develop technologically.

Bob: Germany has an average income of 54 ducats per province, while Japan has 39 ducats per province. However, if Japan's neighbour bonuses are included, Japan has an average income of 84 per province. This indicates that Japan is currently developing about 50% quicker than Germany, giving us hope that Japan will get near Germany in technology.

Jim: Let's take a look at this tech level map our artists have put together:

1630-01techmap.png

Bob: As you can see, Germany is the highest developed nation, save two small French princedoms. Japan is now at roughly the same level as the Muslim community.

Jim: Hopefully the native Japanese will not make a mess of the country and perhaps even inherit a couple of their subject nations. Well folks, don't go away, because after the break, the German will finally return to the field!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that leaving an AI-run country on -3 stability is a good idea! That could be a very risky strategy...

These days this AAR is the only reason for visiting the forums for me. Keep it up!
Thanks, il_loco. I'll keep it up.

I'm not sure that leaving an AI-run country on -3 stability is a good idea! That could be a very risky strategy...
Japan had stability +2 when I left.

And so it did. *cough* Moving swiftly on... How did you gain five stability in such a short space of time?

And so it did. *cough* Moving swiftly on... How did you gain five stability in such a short space of time?

With Church Attendance and Western Influences removed, one stability point takes about a year to regain. If I remember correctly, there was also a +1 stability event. So I spent about four years with full stability investment.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 12, second half: Doppelkönig

Jim: We're back! The German team enters the XS-35 with great enthusiasm, they can't wait to get back into the game!

Bob: And none too soon, Jim. Mismanagement is as big an issue with the German natives as it is with the Japanese. Stability at -1, almost no prestige or legitimacy, 13000 ducats in the treasury that sits idly, an overly large army with way too many cavalry regiments.

Jim: I have to agree. An army of 300.000, while Germany can only support 240.000 and half of it is cavalry, a massive overkill with France and Spain having only 200.000 troops each. It's no wonder that the German team lays off about 60 cavalry regiments. No sunk cost dilemma for these guys!

Bob: A necessary move, as it halves the army maintenance costs.

Jim: However, not all is bad. Germany managed to get Pressburg from Spain and forced it to release Galicia. At a cost though: in the war Germany lost 190.000 troops, while Spain lost 138.000. A lot of lives for such a small piece of land. Anyway, other territorial gains have been made, as all of Germany's vassals save Bosnia have been annexed.

1630-02europe.png

Bob:With only five German princes left, Germany is almost completely united. A direct consequence of this is that the Reformation has very little support outside of Great Britain.

1630 religion

Jim: For the rest, little has happened. No major wars, no decisions or new National Ideas, no expansion of trade. The natives have taken a sort of vacation, it seems. Too bad Germany is currently ruled by a regency, so our contestants cannot start an exciting war.

Bob: I see that Germany still has the same diplomat, Montefeltro. Still busy after 72 years!

1630-07oldadvisor.png

Jim: Now that's dedication!

Bob: Sadly, some bad developments as well. In 1631 Great Britain surrenders to France, ceding nine provinces!

1630-05frenchvictory.png

Jim: Worrying. With France getting more and more Italian provinces, its power grows with it. Hopefully Germany will find a way to cut down France.

Bob: They have, Jim. In 1632, Hektor I rises to the German throne. While French king Henri II de Valois is still excommunicated. The young lad starts his reign with a war of Excommunication against France!

Jim: Smart move, as war exhaustion is very high in France due to their long and bloody war with Great Britain.

Bob: This one will be bloody as well. The number of battles and annihilated regiments is staggering, as the German army invades south France and the Lowlands. Although Germany losses a dozen or so regiments, it's incomparable with French losses, as French regiments are annihilated almost weekly. Reports from our agents in the field estimate that about 400 French soldiers die each day on average. While both nations have Military Drill and comparable army tech levels, German high command is clearly superior to French leadership.

Jim: I have to agree. A German loss that will be felt dearly, however, is the death of Montefeltro in 1632, after 74 years of loyal service to the German crown.

Bob: In 1633, France has to surrender, as it has lost a lot of territory, its war exhaustion is sky high and only 25.000 troops left, it has little choice but to comply to Germany's harsh peace condition: cede all of the Lowland, seven provinces in all, plus releasing Parma.

1633-05german-frenchwar.png

Jim: A very good victory. As the Lowlands are Germany´s cultural brothers, getting them in an Excommunication War reduces infamy gain by a factor four. Germany's infamy is now at 14, a moderately good reputation. In the meantime, Spain and Great Britian continue the war for Grao Para, that started in 1626 and shows no sign of ending. With these powers occupied, Germany invades and annexes in 1634 and 1635 two German princedoms, Berg and Oldenburg.

Bob: Germany economy also continues to develop, although the reduced magistrate gain limits construction. Only 0,7 magistrates per year are recruited, with which a couple of post offices, a Fine Arts Academy and a University are build.

Jim: Also, Free Trade is further encouraged, so that German trade policy is now completely neutral.

Bob: With the construction of the University of Berlin, the Referee's mission is completed and another is given:

1636-04conquerdalmatia.png

Jim: Very nice, another port will help expanding the German fleet. In 1636 a War of Conquest is declared on Croatia. Its ally, Great Britain, still at war with Spain, stays out of the war. With no other allies, Croatia is sure to quickly fall.

Bob:Meanwhile, government tech level 25 is reached, enabling the adoption of another National idea. Espionage is selected, no doubt because due to Free Trade, there is a lack of German spies.

1636-06policies.png

Jim: Soon, Croatia is defeated, ceding Dalmatia and 300 ducats to Germany.

Bob: Hold on, Jim, significant German spy activity is reported in Paris...seems they have found some obscure documents that state that a Zamyski was the brother of Charlemagne, meaning that Hektor has a claim on the French crown. In 1638, Hektor claims the throne of France, as only 18% of the French nobility acknowledges Louis XVII, for whom a regency is in place. War is declared, while France has only 20 regiments to resist the might of the German armies, having ten times that many regiments.

Jim: Wow! This is very exciting. The German armies assault French forts here and there, brushing newly formed regiments away like so much dust!

Bob: At the end of 1638, half of France is conquered and only one French regiment remains.

1638-12france.png

Jim: In February, Paris falls, with the French government fleeing. In a splendid ceremony, Hektor I proclaims himself King of France! Yet another daring gamble of our German contestants has succeeded spectacularly, dear viewers.

1639-02francebecomessubject.png

Bob: To ensure the docility of France, 70 infantry regiment are recruited, bolstering the 200-regiment German army. Also, Hektor I sends many gifts to French dukes, making German-French relations positive in November 1639.

Jim: Incredibly, Spain and Great Britain are still fighting. Our contestants take advantage of this again. In December, Cologne is annexed, leaving Aachen and Pommerania as the last independent German princes. Let's take a look at how Europe looks right now.

1640-01mapofeurope.png

Bob: Germany has gained eleven provinces in this turn, regained prestige through war and legitimacy through a four-star Grand Marshall, overall a nice achievement.

Jim: A grand achievement indeed, Bob. If Germany manages to inherit France later on, things will look very bright for our German contestants. Until next time, dear viewers!

Last edited:
That was an excellent round for Germany, a PU with France (If you can hold it) will make things in Europe a bit easier, you just need to help them keep the rebels down until now :)

Now you just need Spain down and out or atleast down :)

Excellent move getting those Dutch provinces. The PU over France is now just gamey :p What on earth did the German AI do, with that low a Stability and Legitimacy to begin with? Also, where did the Centralisation go, they're at -5?

That was an excellent round for Germany, a PU with France (If you can hold it) will make things in Europe a bit easier, you just need to help them keep the rebels down until now :)

Now you just need Spain down and out or atleast down :)
As long as GB and Spain are at each other's throat, I have little to fear :)

Wow! A PU with France is great news. The war between Spain and Britain have certainly made it easier on Germany. Poland seems quiet though.
I would be quiet as well if I were surrounded by Germany, Spain, Novgorod and Persia. ;)

Excellent move getting those Dutch provinces. The PU over France is now just gamey :p What on earth did the German AI do, with that low a Stability and Legitimacy to begin with? Also, where did the Centralisation go, they're at -5?
Germany is fully Decentralised as per the rules and enforced by a monthly -1 Decentralise event. I think stability was so low because of all the vassal annexations while not investing in stability. Legitimacy was probably low because of a weak heir taking the throne and then the AI neglecting to get a Grand Marshall.

I swear, the Germans are just too lucky. France being Excommunicated at just the right moment? The border conflict with Genua some turns ago? The four foreign cores in the first turn? It begins to look like Double Domination is a game in which two teams travel to the past and in the end Germany wins.

As for the pU with France, I was unlucky to have no spies while Naples was up for graps and when I got spies via Espionage, its legitimacy was 53% and rising quickly. So I settled for France :)

I swear, the Germans are just too lucky. France being Excommunicated at just the right moment? The border conflict with Genua some turns ago? The four foreign cores in the first turn? It begins to look like Double Domination is a game in which two teams travel to the past and in the end Germany wins.

Ah, so it's like in the football world cup series. The game has 90 minutes, and in the end the Germans win...

So I settled for France :)

Oh, poor you! ;)