• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
did you sign the m-r pact? did you have troops on the border? did you invade GB?

I invaded GB.
I signed m-r pact.
I had at least 8 brigades in each province in the frontier with URSS. More than the soviets have. In fact, i wom some forntirer battles. But they attacked... even unprepared.
My better troops were on sea lion. Air force also.
I did not had troops in fnland, nor in Romania, because they were not axis members.

So im still running checksum HGFG but seem to be getting all the same bugs every1 else is getting with the right checksum. So i dunno...

But my uboats have been destroyed in the opening moments of the battle of atlantic. CAGS from france and british have sunk prince eugen, hipper, deutscheland, scharnhorts.. :(. Im not looking forward to norway with a already damaged fleet.

Im still only in Janurary 1940 so ill check back to see if i get more of the same errors. Republican Spain won.

In this version, the U boats are not able to fight in 1939, with England. A way to avoid loosing uboats is to stay in Baltic, invade france, research 1940 uboat tecs, and 1939 naval warfare tecs, and them rebase your uboats on france ports, and send them away from air cover.

Here (FTM 3.05, DI:G 2.05, normal difficulty)
It's early 1940.
Nat Spain victory. Oriental Sitzkrieg. No Soviet attack even though I supported the Finns and refused them Eastern Poland. In the west, France fell according to schedule.
I kept around 200 000 men on the eastern front as border guards.
The guys who get attacked from Soviet, do they keep a garrison in the east?????

I had some 300 brigades in the east. I think the point was my invasion on GB.

I know there were some questions as to "why the Soviets are attacking me?" even after signing MR pact etc. The trigger doesn't seem to be invading the UK but to me it seems like it's taking London itself. It might be rather gamey but encircling London and just taking over the rest of the island is what I did in my most recent game. This gives you time to move your "better" divisions to the eastern front gives you more time to prepare. I enjoy being able to enact Barbarossa when I'm more prepared for it. Another plus is not having the soviets declare war on me because this allows me to keep my weaker allies that border the soviets out of the war with them. It is rather gamey but I think as many have said the big point of many German 36 campaigns, and my personal favorite, is fighting the Soviets in Barbarossa. I don't find it enjoyable it all to be fighting in the British isles and then suddenly Soviets declare war. I should note that this is with FTM.

This mod doesnt work. The End.

Can you give more details on how you installed, what doesnt work for you and more things so people can give constructive options to help?
With the way you describe things now I want to say: Your doing it wrong. But that wont help, so please give more info.

The mod, even though its a beta patch work great for me. No bugs or weird things experienced yet. I am looking forward to the day Danevang has the map he made up and running again.
Great mod, it works for me.

I know there were some questions as to "why the Soviets are attacking me?" even after signing MR pact etc. The trigger doesn't seem to be invading the UK but to me it seems like it's taking London itself. It might be rather gamey but encircling London and just taking over the rest of the island is what I did in my most recent game. This gives you time to move your "better" divisions to the eastern front gives you more time to prepare. I enjoy being able to enact Barbarossa when I'm more prepared for it. Another plus is not having the soviets declare war on me because this allows me to keep my weaker allies that border the soviets out of the war with them. It is rather gamey but I think as many have said the big point of many German 36 campaigns, and my personal favorite, is fighting the Soviets in Barbarossa. I don't find it enjoyable it all to be fighting in the British isles and then suddenly Soviets declare war. I should note that this is with FTM.

While I agree with the general sentiment that players should have good leeway to play the game they want to, I also appreciate the idea of making things harder for Germany. While we will never know for sure if it would have worked this way, it is a fact that the Germans and the Russians did not trust each other. If Germany were gaining such total accendency as taking London would represent it is not implausible that Stalin would say "Better now than later!" and attack when Germany was unprepared. Paper pacts didn't stop Germany, no reason to think they would have stoped the Soviet Union.

While I agree with the general sentiment that players should have good leeway to play the game they want to, I also appreciate the idea of making things harder for Germany. While we will never know for sure if it would have worked this way, it is a fact that the Germans and the Russians did not trust each other. If Germany were gaining such total accendency as taking London would represent it is not implausible that Stalin would say "Better now than later!" and attack when Germany was unprepared. Paper pacts didn't stop Germany, no reason to think they would have stoped the Soviet Union.

I agree with this sentiment. Both Hilter and Stalin wanted to significantly expand the areas they ruled. Possibly a psychiatrist could figure out which one was "the worst". While Stalin was terrified of the Germans under Hitler he certainly understood the threat that Germany presented to his plans for world dominance. He also understood the German vulnerability to a 2 front war and may have understood that at some time in the future the Germans would come for lebensraum. I think it was a big surprise to Stalin that the Germans, French and British didn't exhaust themselves in 1940 as they did in 1914-18 -- so it does not seem improbable for the Soviets to attack in support of the British as the Soviets "last hope" to force Germany into a two front war.

Okay, so that means install Dies Irae with the installer from gamersgate? And then the beta package that I got from here?

Right now, by doing that, after deleting the map cache, the game gets to "map properly initialized" and then dies.

I can tell you why that's happening, you don't have Semper Fi.

EDIT: Also on the Russian Surprise Attack debate. I can contribute to this. I too think it's related to internal triggers. I noticed this when I was taking Paris. I got 3 messages in a row telling me Russia annexed Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. I was like wtf?I know it's historical but they weren't even at war, Russia just vacuumed them up in an instant. They must have used invisible troops! Damn that new Cloaking Technology. Anyways point is, I think Paris and London have significant impact on the Soviet Union declaring war on Nazi Germany. It goes like this: I take Paris. Stalin Gobbles up the Baltic Nations. Signs a truce with Finland. I take London, Stalin's Boys are in my backyard, and I don't think they're here for the Cake & Icecream.

Last edited:
I agree with this sentiment. Both Hilter and Stalin wanted to significantly expand the areas they ruled. Possibly a psychiatrist could figure out which one was "the worst". While Stalin was terrified of the Germans under Hitler he certainly understood the threat that Germany presented to his plans for world dominance. He also understood the German vulnerability to a 2 front war and may have understood that at some time in the future the Germans would come for lebensraum. I think it was a big surprise to Stalin that the Germans, French and British didn't exhaust themselves in 1940 as they did in 1914-18 -- so it does not seem improbable for the Soviets to attack in support of the British as the Soviets "last hope" to force Germany into a two front war.

It's not implausible, but inevitable? Even if Stalin had seen the opportunity would his army have been prepaired, meaning its general condition, especially after all the the troubles he had with the Winter War. Also it needs to be considered how hesitant he was to acknowledge the German invasion in June 1941. It took him how long (4 weeks?) to take action to fight back? There wasn't even enough ammunition deployed for many units near the border. On the other hand, we could look at the historical situation in August/September 1940, when Sealion came close to be carried out. What was the setup/condition/readiness of the Red Army really at that time? If the conditions were right and Germany went forward with Sealion and were successful within, let's say 2 months or so, would the Soviet Union be ready for an attack so quickly? Of yourse if the German troops would have gotten bogged down on the British islands with few troops left on the eastern border, then after some months Stalin might have moved his troops in a preparation state to carry out a full scale attack. It took the Germans serveral months to be geard up for Barbarrossa and the Russians on the other side of course noticed that somthing big was going on - just that Stalin didn't want to hear it. Of course in reverse the Germans would have noticed preparations of the Russians.
In HOI3 preparation of course is just done much quicker.
So overall, yes, a Soviet attack is possible, but given historic conditions, not very likely.

It's not implausible, but inevitable? Even if Stalin had seen the opportunity would his army have been prepaired, meaning its general condition, especially after all the the troubles he had with the Winter War. Also it needs to be considered how hesitant he was to acknowledge the German invasion in June 1941. It took him how long (4 weeks?) to take action to fight back? There wasn't even enough ammunition deployed for many units near the border. On the other hand, we could look at the historical situation in August/September 1940, when Sealion came close to be carried out. What was the setup/condition/readiness of the Red Army really at that time? If the conditions were right and Germany went forward with Sealion and were successful within, let's say 2 months or so, would the Soviet Union be ready for an attack so quickly? Of yourse if the German troops would have gotten bogged down on the British islands with few troops left on the eastern border, then after some months Stalin might have moved his troops in a preparation state to carry out a full scale attack. It took the Germans serveral months to be geard up for Barbarrossa and the Russians on the other side of course noticed that somthing big was going on - just that Stalin didn't want to hear it. Of course in reverse the Germans would have noticed preparations of the Russians.
In HOI3 preparation of course is just done much quicker.
So overall, yes, a Soviet attack is possible, but given historic conditions, not very likely.

Yeah HOI3 makes it very easy for you to know when War is immenent with most countries. When you get a message that your neighbor is mobolizing his troops, you can be sure it's not for a parade.

I'm having some trouble getting this going.

I've got ftm installed 3.05 w/ the correct checksum.
Then it says "- Be sure the DLC installed"
What DLC do I need? Isn't DIG supposed to be stand alone?

I think DIG will function if you follow this path:
First install semper fi, and all its patches.
Them install DIG original version.
Install For the Motherland and upgrade it to patch 3.05.
Install DIG beta version for FTM.

Ok, very frustrated at this point:
I purchased HOI3, SF, FTM, and DiG from STEAM and can't get DiG to work. Have been through the forums and have tried every combination. Details:
Starting from - Clean install of HOI3, SF, FTM, DiG from STEAM. HOI3 SF and FTM all will run, just not DiG.
At one time I got the MSVCP100.dll message, so I dowloaded the Visual C++ stuff (now both the x64 and x86 packages). No longer get those errors.
Looked in c:\users\username\.... for the files to delete, and there is nothing there to delete.
Tried to also manually put DiG 2.05 patch on top of the clean STEAM load, no impact.
Tried to then put the clean STEAM files back on top of the clean STEAM plus DiG 2.05 files, still no impact.
The symptom remaining is that when trying to run the DiG, from either the STEAM interface, or directly from the HOI3.exe selecting DiG DLC, It displays the normal load screen, with the little clocks hand spinning around, and then when it's at "Initializing Maplogic", and then the "File exception: Exception in: discfile.cpp, line: 433. Description: Could not open file:"
I have run out of bullets.
Can anyone help?

Regarding post 2159 (above), "resolved" (I am pretty sure):

For the next STEAM client customer trying to get the latest DiG to run, pay close attention to the post made by Devildread (post #2000 of this thread). If you are downloading 'fresh' HOI3, SF, FTM, DiG from STEAM, your FTM load should be 3.05 checksum UBYY as required, so verify that first and then move on to the last step of decompressing the RAR "replacing files" aka overwriting the DiG files that STEAM put on your machine.

If you have MSV***100.dll errors, download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ library (x64) or (x86) or both as needed, which will resolve those errors (there's a batch of them, so start with the library download and skip the pain.

Best of luck to the next guy, I hope you don't lose your next 1.5 days like I did. (A gentle jab to encourage better documentation for the next DLC, including an eye to the STEAM clients). Thanks again Devildread for one of the posts that netted the greatest benefit of significance. "salute"

Ok, very frustrated at this point:
I purchased HOI3, SF, FTM, and DiG from STEAM and can't get DiG to work. Have been through the forums and have tried every combination. Details:
Starting from - Clean install of HOI3, SF, FTM, DiG from STEAM. HOI3 SF and FTM all will run, just not DiG.
At one time I got the MSVCP100.dll message, so I dowloaded the Visual C++ stuff (now both the x64 and x86 packages). No longer get those errors.
Looked in c:\users\username\.... for the files to delete, and there is nothing there to delete.
Tried to also manually put DiG 2.05 patch on top of the clean STEAM load, no impact.
Tried to then put the clean STEAM files back on top of the clean STEAM plus DiG 2.05 files, still no impact.
The symptom remaining is that when trying to run the DiG, from either the STEAM interface, or directly from the HOI3.exe selecting DiG DLC, It displays the normal load screen, with the little clocks hand spinning around, and then when it's at "Initializing Maplogic", and then the "File exception: Exception in: discfile.cpp, line: 433. Description: Could not open file:"
I have run out of bullets.
Can anyone help?

Try this:
Instal Hearts of Iron.
Then install semper fi, and all its patches.
Install DIG original version. (at this point, DIG will work, and you will have the best game experience untill now).

If you want, continue:
Install For the Motherland and upgrade it to patch 3.05. (do at your own risk, because, you will not have metal and rare materials, and Stalin will atack you:wacko:

Install DIG beta version for FTM. :laugh: