• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Party: Nationales.
Candidate: Manuel Carrera.
Coalition: Conservadors.
Coalition Candidate: Romero.

There's that thing again.

Polls are now closed. Update incoming.

Senator Rivera, it was an honor to face against you for this primary. It was close, but it has been decided, and I hope we can continue to work together for the good of Chile and the Partido Nacionale.

The 1851 Conventions​
1836 and 1841 had been hard-fought and close elections, but the election of 1846 had been far from the previous polls. Antonio de Santa Rosa had barely gathered a third of the vote against overwhelming margins in favor President Romano. The 1851 election continued the trend set by the 1846 contest, as it looked as if it might not even be an election at all. Or can one call an election with one man an election?

The Monarquicos, as in the year before, had trouble mustering enough delegates to field a candidate. Witold Tamiuszski, again looking around at a diminished convention, was again forced to abandon his candidacy in what had become little more than the party of him. Even had he run, he announced in his withdrawal speech, he would not have been on the ballot in enough places or won the support of enough electors to matter. This result did not surprise many, as it was the same as the previous year.

What did surprise the public and the political elite was Antonio de Santa Rosa's near identical announcement just a few weeks later. De Santa Rosa had emerged at the front of the field of a much diminished Partido Liberal, but following his devastating defeat in the last election, no one any longer believed he could seriously win the general election against the same opponent. With barely more delegates at his convention than the Monarquicos, de Santa Rosa was forced to admit defeat before the campaign even began and bowed out gracefully. His concession left the political world stunned. After his fiery debates and clashes with the President, most had believed him to the be natural opposition.

This left only the Nacionales and the Conservadores. As in the last election, the Conservadores voted to form a union with the Nacionales, and the other party began to reciprocate. Rivera, despite a hard-fought struggle for control of the party against long-time rival Manuel Carrera, lost the candidacy in the last few ballots. Carrera and his supporters, then with a firm majority, announced a second Conservador Nacional (National Conservative) ticket to the applause of some and the boos of others.

Rivera had tolerated an alliance with Romano in the last election, but a defeat against Carrera - who Rivera had once accused of treason - was too much for him to bear. He asked for the stage and Carrera, believing Rivera was to give a concession speech agreed. Instead, Rivera called on his supporters to leave the convention and they heeded his call, exiting the Santiago center in mass to form their own ticket. Only the next day, Rivera and his followers announced the formation of the Nacionales Independientes (Independent Nationals), with Rivera as their unanimous candidate.

Romano and his supporters, meanwhile, scored broad multipartisan victories with the passage of the Press Act and Industrialization Encouragement Act - inspiring their unified convention to change the name of their ticket to the Unión Chileno (Chilean Union).

And thus began an election that no one had expected would ever even happen.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
I need platforms from both Eduardo Emilio Romano ((Pallen)) and Francisco Rivera ((atomicsoda)).

Both acts pass, and you successfully browbeat the lower house into letting you implement a political reform.

((Tricked by my own generousity. Well played atomic, though how are we going to talk about our members? Nacionales and Nacionales? :p

If it has to happen, :eek:hmy:..., let's get this election started. Pallen's should be the exact same if I remember right, and atomic posted his several time a while ago.))

Senador Rivera has dishonoured the Partido Nacional with his dishonesty and failure to follow the will of the party! We can not elect as Presidente, a man who would so calously violate his own honour and that of his party for his own personal power. All honourable Chilenos should vote for the honourable candidate, Presidente Romano!

((OMFG...The drama!))

((Tricked by my own generousity. Well played atomic, though how are we going to talk about our members? Nacionales and Nacionales? :p

If it has to happen, :eek:hmy:..., let's get this election started. Pallen's should be the exact same if I remember right, and atomic posted his several time a while ago.))

I'd like them to PM me or post any revisions to their platforms first, in case they want to change anything in light of the unexpected contest.

I'd like them to PM me or post any revisions to their platforms first, in case they want to change anything in light of the unexpected contest.

((I will stick with the platform I posted. Platform))

I would like to thank all my supporters who have joined me in the Nacionales Independientes. I am glad the electors will have a clear choice this election over the economic policy they wish to have.

Last edited:
((I will stick with the platform I posted. Platform))

I would like to thank all my supporters who have joined me in the Nacionales Independientes. I am glad the electors will have a clear choice this election over the economic policy they wish to have.

I'd like to add my support to the Independent Nacionalists for standing up for a strong Chile. I ask all true pariots to assist Rivera in securing the rightful place of the Nacionalistas as the governing party.

((Do you know how sadistic of a choice that is? Since my character supports both Rivera and Carrera for varying reasons...yeah, this is no fun :sad:)).

I want to thank all of my supporters during the primary; if only we had had a few more delegates, I am certain we could have been a serious force in this election.

Seeing how there the support, or knowledge of, my bill proposal has been limited, I shall state it again. The Voting Act of 1851 would expand voting rights to the next level, creating a more equal and representative society.

My final move today is to formally endorse President Romano in his re-election bid. He and I may have some differences, but I would much rather have a government that interferes with the market than one that takes control of the it. I can only hope that my supporters and fellow Liberales will join me in this effort.

I want to thank all of my supporters during the primary; if only we had had a few more delegates, I am certain we could have been a serious force in this election.

Seeing how there the support, or knowledge of, my bill proposal has been limited, I shall state it again. The Voting Act of 1851 would expand voting rights to the next level, creating a more equal and representative society.

((We already passed our one reform for this electoral cycle, Riccardo. You'll have to wait until the next one.))

((Do you know how sadistic of a choice that is? Since my character supports both Rivera and Carrera for varying reasons...yeah, this is no fun :sad:)).

Er... sorry? I assure you, I didn't mean to trouble you, Dyranum.

While I am deeply sad to not see a liberal ticket in this election, I once again throw my support behind Santa Rosa, and judge it better to endorse Romano's candidacy for the time being. The Conservadores under him have been at the very least stable, and his ticket is presented as the lesser of two evils.

- P. G. Subercaseaux

"I shall back Rivera and the Nacionales Independientes. They offer the most for the country, and Carrera was guilty of treason. Why should Rivera submit to him?"

Eberado de Cary
Senator for Valparaiso