• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The colonists seem to be off to a good start. Just watch out for elephants, I heard another colony had big problem with them.

Edit: This comment looks pretty silly at the top of a page without the update for context...

Last edited:
I have friends who work for Comcast, and they all tell me not to get it. Heh.

AT&T's IVR was invented by a sadistic bastard.

I vote we start an MP game and everyone in the thread ally against AT&T, who will have to start as a pagan. :)
I'm all in. Just put me & my boys in the center we'll hold the line.

Funny enough...
I have friends who work for both & they tell anyone who will listen to get the other.
Bah! Blasted monopolies!

Finally! A little colonizing action!

Quick question...
Being mercantilistic, The Hansa trade league & all that...

Do you bother even attempting to trade at other non-Hansa COT's?

Oh no, a reference I don't understand!

*Commits suicide*

Oh no, a reference I don't understand!

*Commits suicide*

Dwarf Fortress. It's addicting. It's helping me take a short break from the AAR while I ponder my next move, seeing as Portugal is allied with Castille and Burgundy, Austria is allied with Burgundy, and I can't afford much colonization given my economy is already red-lined.

Where did you get that copy of Dwarf Fortress? It's manages not to hurt my eyes with ASCII characters

The tileset can be found at here.

The tileset can be found at here.

Thank you so much.

I'd like to take the chance to say that I have really appreciated this AAR, and also your other ones. They are all very descriptive, and even manage to help me as a player in other Paradox Interactive Games. With this Hansa one, I like the focus on Trade, something which doesn't get enough love.

Sorry about the delay. Life got me....

Lysander13: I would if it weren't for my infamy and non-core CoT penalties. A compete chance of 1% doesn't help...

Chapter 19: Border cleanup

January 1, 1494: Holstein accepts annexation. Mecklenburg does not.
h18annexholstein.png

January 5: Austria declares war on Hungary, using the Subjugation CB.

March 4: We DoW Bohemia to reclaim Poznan (which we got a core on via Boundary dispute). They're involved in the Austro-Hungarian war anyway, so this is essentially kicking a dog while it's down.
h18dowbohemia.png

March 11: The Teutonic Order misjudges their chances, and declares war on us. Sweden joins in.
h18todow.png

April 19: Brandenburg declares war, bringing in Burgundy. Hrm. This is going to be a recurring problem as long as my economy can't support a decent European army on top of my anti-rebel armies in the colonies.
h18brandenburgdow.png

July 31: Milan gets excommunicated. Can't do anything about it...

September 1: Bohemia gives up Poznan.
h18poznanceded.png

October 6: Sweden peaces out due to our blockade.

October 21: TO peaces out due to our blockade.

December 8: Boundary Dispute gives us a core on Honduras.

March 3, 1495: Tuskegee converts.

March 12: Bohemia cedes Moravia to Austria, and gives us 100 ducats. Austria forgot to vassalize Hungary, the whole point of the war.

July 5: Brandenburg is vassalized.
h18brandenburgvassalize.png

July 15: Austria cancels our military access. Oh @##^@...

September 10: We DoW Poland to reclaim Plock, bringing in Ansbach and Muscovy.
h18dowpoland.png

March, 1496: Unfortunately for Poland, since they are split in half, they can't get most of their armies over to fight me. We've done enough, so we force Poland to cede Plock and rejoin the Hanseatic League.
h18poland.png

h18plockceded.png

November 28: Wurzburg and Munster are added to our sphere of influence. Ansbach is thenn vassalized, returning my prestige to near 100%.
h18ansbachvassalized.png

December 15: Muscovy offers white peace, and we accept to return to peace.

December 24: Philippe IV of Burgundy is HRE. Burgundy's ability to hold onto the post is becoming worrying, as they will get enough IA to pass more reforms. I hope to be powerful enough to collapse the HRE if they remove the electors.

January 17, 1497: Cheraw converts. We have now converted 3 American pagan provinces...

November 1: The Canaries core, allowing us to send out colonists to Beothuk and Taqamkuk (Newfoundland), and Dominica, Martinique, and Barbados.

January 30, 1498: Alabama converts.

May 10: Aragon leaves the league, and rejoins 3 days later.

May 24: Catawba converts.

June 18: Of our 5 colonists sent, only Martinique and Barbados succeed.

July 24: Natives encounter our colonies. I take the +1 base tax.

January 1, 1499: Pisa and Cologne are added to our sphere of influence.

March 31: Luneburg gets a trade station.

May 1, 1500: Austria tries to subjugate Hungary. Again.

June 1: Cherokee converts.

July 1: Oyo, Ife, Bonny, and Benin core.

December 1: Trade 14 - we can now build refineries.

February 5, 1501: Benin gets a trade station.

May 1: Venice and Treviso core.

June 24: Bohemia cedes Ereskujvar, Pressburg, and Sopron, ending the Austro-Hungarian war yet again without Hungary being vassalized.
h18ahpeace.png

September 12: Mayombe (Kongo) converts.

September 27: France excommunicates Austria. Unfortunately, Austria is allied with Burgundy.

Some pies for the new century!
h18pie.png

So here's our conundrum:
We want Portugal's colonies, but they're allied to Castille and Burgundy.
We want Austria's German-cultured provinces, but they're allied to Burgundy and have an uber army.
We want Burgundy's Dutch provinces (esp Antwerpen and Vlaandern), but they're allied to Austria and are HRE.
We want to eat the German HRE minors, but that's a lot of infamy for not a lot of gain.
We can't colonize much, due to the strain on the economy (we need more cores and thus more census tax first).

Thus, I think I'll play conservative for the first 12 years of the Protestant Reformation, and use that time to bolster my economy.

Last edited:
Thus, I think I'll play conservative for the first 12 years of the Protestant Reformation, and use that time to bolster my economy.

Seems reasonable. You'll need large armies to collapse Burgundy and Austria.

Plus, you never know how the Reformation will hit. May be Burgundy will convert to Protestant / Reformed, and lose its Imperial Crown - or may be many nations will convert to P / R and Burgundy will lose IA like a bottomless bucket losing water...

Interlude: The world in 1502

The world map:

My vassals and I:

Armies:
h19armies.png

Navies:
h19navies.png

Income:
h19income.png

Tech:
h19tech.png

Emperors:
h19hre.png

# of Provinces:
h19provinces.png

The colonists seem to be off to a good start. Just watch out for elephants, I heard another colony had big problem with them.

Edit: This comment looks pretty silly at the top of a page without the update for context...

This makes me want to rename a colony to Boatmurdered.

Seems that Burgundy wasn't able to hold onto HRE after all judging by the emperors screenshot?

Pie chart certainly shows some limiting factors in a quite colorful religion chart and core/non-core tilted the wrong way. Your plan of playing conservative sounds smart until some improvement. The kind of limited, solid wars that you had in this latest update are of course fine in the meantime.

Seems that Burgundy wasn't able to hold onto HRE after all judging by the emperors screenshot?

Pie chart certainly shows some limiting factors in a quite colorful religion chart and core/non-core tilted the wrong way. Your plan of playing conservative sounds smart until some improvement. The kind of limited, solid wars that you had in this latest update are of course fine in the meantime.

Yeah, must have slipped by me that it went to Austria. That's not exactly an improvement, given that Austria and I are rivals...

While you've been occupied I've tried my hands on a similar game (except I just can't seem to stay inside the cultural border..)

One important difference is that I chose to only take the border provinces (and gold) of the American natives. It was more expensive in BB, but I didn't have to station most of my army there.

Even though they've tuned down the excommunicate cb it's still perfect for annexing HRE minors (2bb). As you expand your colonies you will eventually be guaranteed to be the papal controller.
And your HRE situation will probably improve when the reformation rolls around, so the most eminent problem is Portugal/Castile.

Anyway, Burgundy seems fragile with their country divided. I suggest you guarantee some of the minors on their border (which France has also guaranteed) and wait for your luck.

Nice work. Are you considering converting when the Reformation hits?

Hmm, forcing everyone into the league while maintaining bad relations with your new 'friends'. :p

Who stole your cores! :D

I love HTTT!!!