• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heyas, I recently bought Majesty Gold, (played the original when it first came out but lost it over the yeras) and initially i was having the game crash on start up, setting it to -nointro fixed this for me so yay was finally able to get in and play, but i then started gettign the freezing up problem that was solved by using the win 98 compatability mode.

I was playing fine for a couple days and now this afternoon im back getting the crash on start up and nothing i can do seems to fix this, also tried disabling direct draw, deleting the bink file moving the music files etc but to no avail, any other ideas?
Oh im using winXP, with an ATI vid card

Cheers

Hello. Problem at day 7.

Hello. I joined these forums because I cannot seem to get my Steam version of Majesty Gold edition to work correctly.

I read through everything. My problem is the game freezing at exactly day 7 during multiple games.
I moved the music folder to my desktop, however, now Steam has an issue starting the game because I am guessing it needs the music folder... Hmm... I will create an empty Music folder to see what happens. :eek:
Typing this made me think of a fix. haha.

EDIT: Alright worked. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Yay, I had just been making a big post concerning hanging that was occurring in majesty gold, but I deleted the music files and now the game seems to run perfect. I also set the compatibility to 98/me like people were suggesting. Now I can play one of my favorite games ever!

So I have the Steam version of Majesty Gold as well. Steam will not allow me to launch the game in Win 98/ME compatibility mode for some reason. It keeps telling me to turn off compatibility mode and it doesn't launch.

I keep getting hang ups where I have to ctr-alt-del and shut down the program that is not responding.

Does anyone know a work around for compatibility mode and Steam? I'd rather not have to play without the music unless absolutely necessary. Is the music the most likely candidate for hang ups?

Thank you. I can't wait to play this and Majesty 2. :)

I'd rather not have to play without the music unless absolutely necessary. Is the music the most likely candidate for hang ups?
It might be the music.
Try moving the music files instead of deleting them.
Make a folder on your desktop and move all the files in to the folder (cut and paste the files).
If the game still doesn't work, you can put the files back where they belong.
If it does work, at least you can play the game while you you wait for someone to come up with a way to play the music.

Possible fix for lockups

I've had the gold edition of Majesty for a few months now. I've played through only a few of the missions, though. I constantly had issues with random lockups. I could get through missions just fine sometimes and then others the game would just lock hard for no apparent reason.

I've tried a lot of the suggestions all over the net - disabling intro movies, setting compatibility mode, messing with video hardware acceleration, etc. But, none seem to make the issue go away.

Until I read a post in the Steam forums the other day where someone suggested setting the CPU affinity to only one processor once the game is launched. I tried that and so far I've had no problems whatsoever. The only thing I didn't like was that I would have to task out and set the affinity in the Task Manager every time I played the game. After some research, I found a way to make a small .bat file that will launch the game .exe with the proper CPU affinity.

Here's the steps...

1. Create a new text file on your desktop (or anywhere else you want.)
2. Rename it to Majesty.bat.
3. Right click on it and choose edit.
4. Insert this text (you may need to change the path for Majesty to your installation location)...

For the base game...

c:
cd\
cd "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Majesty Gold\Majesty"
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 Majesty.exe​

Make another file for the expansion named MajX.bat with this in it...

c:
cd\
cd "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Majesty Gold\MajX"
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 MajX.exe​

5. Once saved, double-click the bat file for whichever game you want and enjoy Majesty in single processor mode without lockups.

Obviously this only applies to multi-core systems. I've been playing with this setting and another friend that I know has too, and we both have not had a single lockup since. Anyone is welcome to try this and report if your lock ups go away.

It could be an issue with the anti-virus...
When I go to Impulse's web site I get:
"This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification authority."
Supposedly it was issued by VeriSign, but it doesn't recognize it as a trusted source.
I'd ask you anti-virus vendor why they flagged it.

Game speed

I reinstalled and have been playing this lately, but Ive forgotten the game speed hotkeys. Ive been hitting combos left and right trying to figure it out to no avail.

What's the hotkeys to speed up / slow down the game again?

edit - enough experimentation and i finally figured it out. In case you dont know, it comes in handy -
shift + < = game speed slower
shift + > game speed faster

Last edited:
I was wondering if there was a fix to get those downloadable missions from cyberlore to work with my edition of majesty, now before some might chide me, yes I know the description says these missions will not work with majesty gold and yes I read the OP. There was no mention of this but maybe someone on these forums knows of a way to work around that?

If this was already asked in the middle of the thread sorry for the repeat question.

In all this time between the original release of MajGold and the present, I have never heard of anyone finding a way to get the downloadable quests to work with it.

I suspect it has to do with being published by a different company and some of the "code" was changed - the music files, for instance. I don't remember if Cyberlore ever knew themselves or if they did, if they ever told us...

I am having some trouble with building limitations function in freestyle. The preset ones work just fine, but whenever I try to make a set myself the game won't save them. It gives me a message stating that the filename is reserved or illegal. Any ideas?