• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very promising innovation this occupation policy and variable partisanship. A question though, there will be or not some historical events about historical resistance movements (e.g. France, Norway, Poland, Yugoslavia) or all will depend upon the policy chosen by the player? Also, some areas were in HOI 2 there was no resistance to the occupier though it existed historically (Philippines, Borneo) will see some in HOI 3? Will the exile governments have the possibility of supporting the resistance movements and could this support counter the effects of a more accommodating policy by the occupier? Which brings another one: will the AI have a designed (moddable?) strategy for its policies or it will select them on random basis?

I'm still dumbfounded about the Government in Exile and all that (Can't seem to get a grip of the concept) but if I, as Germany, invade SU - push them back really far, can I "free" states such as the Ukraine etc. as was possible in HOI2? And then avoid all the partisan stuff etc.?

I'm still dumbfounded about the Government in Exile and all that (Can't seem to get a grip of the concept) but if I, as Germany, invade SU - push them back really far, can I "free" states such as the Ukraine etc. as was possible in HOI2? And then avoid all the partisan stuff etc.?

you need to own the provinces first. Occupation is not enough to release a puppet.

Pretty cool, though I'm interested in a clarification if possible. You replied early that you can't cut down a country into parts. What about a country that's annexed other countries? Say for Germany, would the SU be the SU and end of, or could you have a policy for the SU, but also policies for each of the three Baltic States even though they were absorbed into the SU the year before?

If one can divide regions decently now afther a conquest im allready very happy about this, the afther conquest options is more an extra bonus for me.

In HoI2 i allways hated the conquest of Yugoslavia, most of all with Germany (or Italy), one could never predict there how the lands would be divided and when playing Germany this was vital to get yourself a direct land route to a port in Greece for transports to north Afrika if you wanted to keep Italy alive there.

Nearly every game playing Germany where i tried to go historical with land went wrong in Yugoslavia, sometimes Hungary took more then half, sometimes Romenia or Italy, and then i had to do the usual reloads and resaves to divide all the provinces the right way, wich ofcourse was boring and often complicated becaus of all the wierd province names, and it could take your mind all out of the game you were playing before.

So if thats all possible in game afther conquest now... thats just lovely.

IMO it's quite stupid that one cannot treat different areas of huge countries like the Soviet Union differently. IRL the Baltics were treated very well by the Germans, while most of Ukraine (mainly excluding Western Ukraine) was treated rather harsh. I only see this particular case possible if all Baltic countries have governments in exile, and thus Germany can choose a seperate occupation policy on each of the Baltic states compared to that of the rest of the USSR. But you'd still have to treat i.e. Belorussia or Ingria the same way as you treat Ukraine, something that wasn't true IRL.

IMO it's quite stupid that one cannot treat different areas of huge countries like the Soviet Union differently. IRL the Baltics were treated very well by the Germans, while most of Ukraine (mainly excluding Western Ukraine) was treated rather harsh. I only see this particular case possible if all Baltic countries have governments in exile, and thus Germany can choose a seperate occupation policy on each of the Baltic states compared to that of the rest of the USSR. But you'd still have to treat i.e. Belorussia or Ingria the same way as you treat Ukraine, something that wasn't true IRL.

Well this is what you get, one country one occupation policy.

Am I the only one who cannot see the screenie?

Even if i'm really satisfied with the Occupation policies i agree with others that we should be able to change policies for single regions of huge countries like Soviet Union. It could be doable only on regions which can be released as new states like Baltic States, Ukraine, Central Asia countries and so on. It would be a lot more realistic considering that as others said Nazi policy was really different in Baltic states than Ukraine and Russian territories.

King I am a bit unclear here on one thing. Is the occupation policy by occupied country or by occupier, ie does germany select one policy or is it one policy per occupied country?

King I am a bit unclear here on one thing. Is the occupation policy by occupied country or by occupier, ie does germany select one policy or is it one policy per occupied country?

each country who occupies terrotry of another country can select an occupation policy for thier terrotry. So if several different countries have occupy parts of the same country then you will have provinces under different occupation policies with different partisan spawning chances.

I think Germany selects how they want to treat the poor conquered country