• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Farseer

Captain
15 Badges
Jan 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
No, I don't mean the fucked up real life economy, I mean the fucked up V2 economy. The black hole that is late nineteenth century economics is lolariously silly and I'm wondering if Paradox will be doing anything to fix that.

Language, this is a family-friendly forum.

I imagine there will be tweaks, but I seriously doubt there'll be much else unfortunately. I heard they considered the economy to be mostly working as designed/intended.

What's AHD?
And what specifically do you reckon is wrong with the economy (in game obviously :))
I thought things seemed to be running ok. Am I missing something?

AHD is the new expansion announced recently: A House Divided.

V2 game topic only, please.

So there's no chance of a fix planned for early game when nations have to wait almost a year to build units?

Or the repeated involvement of GP's in wars that they are either not anyway involved with , i.e, no sphere, no alliance and the attacker has a low infamy (Speaking form experience)?

I hope they are as they are putting me off playing it.

I think they've done a very good job or improving and balancing the economy. However, I still think super-France still needs to be addressed. That's more of a minor tweaking, I'm sure though.

Or the repeated involvement of GP's in wars that they are either not anyway involved with , i.e, no sphere, no alliance and the attacker has a low infamy (Speaking form experience)?

Are you talking about GP interventions? I think it's been well established that you need to make sure that you don't attack nations that have Friendly influence with other GPs.

I was hoping that they would fix the foreclosure crisis, unemployment, and the lack of confidence in the banking industry.

Sigh, I too, think that the GPs need to bail out the Craftsmen without cash reserves and that are not meeting their Life Needs and that they also should bail out Greece instead of engaging in Gunboat Diplomacy... alas, 19th century liberalism :(

That one is the major problem, there's no "need" to industrialise other than score, if you have exess pops, just colonize but there's no real advantage to industrialization, we need to have more control over what we produce as a nation, so we can control weapon exports and different types of weapons and ammunition, the weapons industry is too "standart" right now we need more diversity, from an economic stand point not even a military one.

I guess I'm an old fashioned gamer... I always used to munch those pellets when playing Pacman just for the score. I do the same in V2.

I could picture a better system for weapons production however. This could act as an effective cap on navy/army sizes. So bigger econ = badass army/navy.

A friend of my in this game could only recruit 10 brigades of units while he had an adult male population of over 600k, while Chile is a GP & has more than 60 brigades (with less ground than Chile has today)..

Why does the economy need to be fixed? Because Victoria 2 is a military game. But the Victorian age was the advent of modern economics and industry was the driving force behind politics and wars in this age. Now it's a pathetic backseat to military conquest and completely disjointed from technological advancement. There's a single world currency, there's a single world market, a shirt in India costs the same as a shirt in Manhattan. I can produce the world's supply of artillery but not restrict my enemies from buying them, thus crippling their ability to combat me. I can setup an automobile industry in America a decade before Britian, but the UK can dominate the market mere years after it's first factory. I cannot have an economic sphere of influence over an area of China. This just off the top of my head. The V2 economy completely hampers the reasons I want to play this game. I worry that Paradox turned what could have been a multi-faceted game into just another war game. I'll wait to see if a house divided is intriguing, but this game will not flourish until the economic model is made much more realistic.

Why does the economy need to be fixed? Because Victoria 2 is a military game. But the Victorian age was the advent of modern economics and industry was the driving force behind politics and wars in this age. Now it's a pathetic backseat to military conquest and completely disjointed from technological advancement. There's a single world currency, there's a single world market, a shirt in India costs the same as a shirt in Manhattan. I can produce the world's supply of artillery but not restrict my enemies from buying them, thus crippling their ability to combat me. I can setup an automobile industry in America a decade before Britian, but the UK can dominate the market mere years after it's first factory. I cannot have an economic sphere of influence over an area of China. This just off the top of my head. The V2 economy completely hampers the reasons I want to play this game. I worry that Paradox turned what could have been a multi-faceted game into just another war game. I'll wait to see if a house divided is intriguing, but this game will not flourish until the economic model is made much more realistic.

I've also been disappointed in the economy. The bottom line is that in terms of actual gameplay, I spend very little time/effort/thought into economics. The trade system is entirely automated, and I don't see much advantage to tweaking it. The factory system is so highly simplified that all you should ever do is build certain key factories that are the most profitable in every game. The lack of nation specific advantage (I'm thinking HoI3 tech system here would be nice), means that many nations in the world can have the most profitable types of factories. Add to this the late-game fact that just about every inch of the planet will have high level infrastructure and forts by the 1930s, and you get this really odd economic situation that isn't very interesting. On the contrary, it is quite boring, because the in-game economics are highly deterministic. :(