• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whoah, northern HRE is in place of Poland, that's weird. Are you planning to take down whole HRE and release every single nation within it?
Also, it's the first time I see Saxe-Lauenburg ever, and it looks great, so... XVII-century-like ;)

This AAR is awesome! Hats off to you sir... and your confucionist Europe :D
Thank you, good to hear that the AAR is entertaining to read as well.

Whoah, northern HRE is in place of Poland, that's weird. Are you planning to take down whole HRE and release every single nation within it?
Also, it's the first time I see Saxe-Lauenburg ever, and it looks great, so... XVII-century-like ;)
I do not hope to completely eliminate any of the major powers: even GB, economically and military now definitately a second-rate power, has about 50 provinces left. The HRE has a 115 provinces! My plan is basically to reduce the economy and milititary capability of the Great Powers so that China becomes a hegemon.

Basically the reason I chose Saxe-Lauenburg to cover North Germany is its name.

I was inspired by this AAR so I started my very own Ming (now Manchu) game. It's 1720. Note my extremely large and in-charge territory compared to a relatively minuscule yet still bigger than average HRE.

Except instead of going east for the New World I went west, all the way to Novgorod so far. You may notice I also own most of Italy, including my most recent conquest, Roma (now well on its way towards the one true faith, Confucianism).

Question for you though, knul. I might have missed it, but why not form Manchu/Qing Dynasty? Some hefty bonuses are wrapped up in that event pathway.

Overall fantastic AAR, knul. Best on the site. Truly.
eu3mapmch1723141.jpg

eu3mapmch1723142.jpg

I was inspired by this AAR so I started my very own Ming (now Manchu) game. It's 1720. Note my extremely large and in-charge territory compared to a relatively minuscule yet still bigger than average HRE.

Except instead of going east for the New World I went west, all the way to Novgorod so far. You may notice I also own most of Italy, including my most recent conquest, Roma (now well on its way towards the one true faith, Confucianism).
Well done, Xavierfox, you made a very impressive Ming empire! And with that huge HRE (France? East Europe? The whole of Scandinavia?!), you have an exiting endgame waiting for you.

Question for you though, knul. I might have missed it, but why not form Manchu/Qing Dynasty? Some hefty bonuses are wrapped up in that event pathway.
Well, primarily because I wanted to continue playing as Ming/China so that the campaign is as alt-history as possible. Besides, I do not always take the optimal strategy: the whole "conquer all of North America" strategy is IMO quite suboptimal, but I wanted to see if with the factions I was able to build up the economy, expand military and establish colonies at the same time.

Overall fantastic AAR, knul. Best on the site. Truly.
I would suggest that you search for Peter Ebbesen's AARs, you will surely change your mind :)

But thanks anyway ;)

Episode 28: World domination

So far I have only brought the revolution to Europe, but there are many other nations whose population is suffering under despotic regimes. Also, I have to settle some accounts. So I invade Bihar! Finally I can get revenge for all those pointless wars with Bihar! I also declare war on Rajputana, the second largest Indian power. Four assault corps, two of which are from the European expeditionary force, quickly tople the Indian empires.

1792-11-02gainsvsBihar.png

After almost two years of warring, I demand 19 provinces from Bihar...

1792-11-03gainsvsRajputana.png

and 14 from Rajputana. My Infamy is now 44, so I desperately need to release vassals. I release Delphi, Orissa, Nepal and Deccan.

1792-10indianvassalsreleased.png

After these releases, my infamy is now 6! Provinces cost 1 infamy with Revolutionary war and releasing vassals reduces infamy with 2 per province, so my infamy now falls with every conquest! Note that almost all provinces demanded from Bihar and Rajputana have cores of non-existing nations, so that I can release most provinces as vassals. For example, the westernmost provinces I gained from Rajputana are Persian and...oh wait, there is a two-province Persia in existence? Okay, I annex Persia and thus have many Persian provinces which I can release as a vassal.

However, I also want to conquer as much as possible from Japan, as Minamoto is one of the leading nations in the world. Problem is, Japan is a Noble Republic (?!), I cannot use the Revolutionary War CB on them and instead have to use Nationalism, which has a 2 infamy cost per province.
Anyway, I invade Japan in 1794. After 18 months I force the Emperor (not the Holy one) to give me 16 provinces:

1795-07-24gainsvsJapan.png

Infamy is again over the limit, with a value of 34. I release Persia, bringing infamy down to a high but managable 20:

1795-07persiareleased.png

In 1797 I invade Travanacore and Vijayanager, annex them and release them in the same year. Their allies Taunga and Bengal are both force-converted and Bengal is force-vassalized. The netto result of this is zero infamy: +4 from force-vassalizing, -4 from releasing four provinces.

So I continue freeing the Indian people and declare war upon Bihar in 1798. Their ally Madurai is forced to convert and in 1799 Bihar is forced to give me 8 provinces:

1800-01-14gainsvsbihar.png

To reduce infamy, I release Assam. In 1800 Rajputana is the next in line, I declare war upon them and a year later I get 9 provinces. To counter this new influx of infamy, I release Holland and Normandy.

In 1802 I finally return to Europe and say hello to the French. After four months they graciously give 7 provinces to me as a welcome-back gift.

1802-07-30gainsvsFrance.png

In September that year I start the most difficult war of this episode: I invade one-province Brittany. Brittany has a level 6 fort, which doesn't go down after a couple of assaults of 50.000 infantry each! Only in March 1805, two and a half year, does Brittany fall and is annexed!

In the meantime, I declare war on Austria on 1803 and in 1804 I get 7 of their provinces, all of them west of Bavaria, so that the border are cleaned up a bit. I also have reached production level 53, so that I can get Liberté, Equalité, Fraternité, although in this timeline the phrase should be in Mandarin.

In 1805 I release Ahmadnagar so that I can invade Japan again. In 1806 I make peace with Japan and have an aditional 12 provinces. I release Baluchistan to bring infamy down to an acceptable level. As I reach government level 61, I choose Bill of Rights.

So this is the current state in Asia:

1806-03-02Asiapolitical.png

I have named all the new vassals that I have gained during this episode (*EDIT* I forgot Assam, it's the purple state south of Tibet). To make the extend of my empire clearer, here is a map of my territory and all my vassals (diplomatic mapmode):

1806-03-02Asiavassals.png

So basically in 15 years I went from no control over India or Japan to own the majority of both areas. Revolutionary war is brutal.

To finish, a current map of Europe:

1806-03-02Europepolitical.png

Stats

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1790	1800	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	295	309	14		5%		255		472%
Yearly income		12.452	14.500	2.048		16%		13.662		1630%
Yearly income/province	42,2	46,9	4,7		11%		31,4		202%
Inflation		0,7	0,7	0		N/A		0,7		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	577	616	39		7%		531		625%
Army Size		390	390	0		0%		351		900%
Navy size		227	227	0		0%		178		363%

Next episode: Endgame

Last edited:
Apologies if you're already answered this, but was China something you modded in or is it new to DW? (As opposed to Ming)

You've really done a tremendous job here; can't wait to see the thrilling conclusion!

Nicely done, how many vassals do you have now?
I have 18 vassals in Asia and 10 in Europe, so 28 in total.

Apologies if you're already answered this, but was China something you modded in or is it new to DW? (As opposed to Ming)
You've really done a tremendous job here; can't wait to see the thrilling conclusion!
In the discussion after the End of an age episode, I explained that I edited the MNG tag so that Ming's political colour is yellow, the name is China and I have replaced the coat of arms. So basically it's a completely cosmetic change with no gameplay impacts whatsoever, as I still play with the MNG tag.

In hindsight, I should have made this more explicit in the AAR itself, I think.

Are you gonna war everyone on earth? and then destroy them?
I haven't destroyed anyone, I just liberate those poor people suffering under despotic monarchs and give them democracy!

Well, I have no time left to literally get everyone, but I'm trying to bring the big boys down. Rajputana, Bihar and Minamoto are now much much weaker than before I dealt with them, so far so good.

Hey I'm the guy with the big Manchu empire posted recently. Not surprisingly in all those conquests I gathered a lot of infamy. I tried releasing vassals to reduce it just like you did, but it has never worked. So now I'm still high infamy and minus a few vassals. I'm on the latest patch btw. Is this a glitch maybe? It's the "cancel vassalisation" button, yes?

Also how is it that you give so many provinces to your vassals? Do you just use the sell province button? I find that very tedious having to scroll down through that list over and over, especially with literally hundreds of provinces. Plus, if the provinces are not next to the vassal borders I'll be lucky to get a "maybe" for a 0 gold sale offer. And besides, when you conquer and annex a province, you still gain the infamy for it, and selling a province to a vassal doesn't reduce infamy, so why not just keep the provinces?

Last edited:
It's the Create Vassal button. In the Coat of Arms tab.

I can literally imagine Confucius so giddy that half* the population on Earth praises his teachings.
Too bad this is the penultimate update (it rhymed!)... Damn you and your regular updating! *shakes fist at sky*

*Probably more, since you do have CHINA, INDIA AND EUROPE under your boot, besides North America :)

Hey I'm the guy with the big Manchu empire posted recently. Not surprisingly in all those conquests I gathered a lot of infamy. I tried releasing vassals to reduce it just like you did, but it has never worked. So now I'm still high infamy and minus a few vassals. I'm on the latest patch btw. Is this a glitch maybe? It's the "cancel vassalisation" button, yes?
As BootOnFace said, the release vassal button is on the first page.

Also how is it that you give so many provinces to your vassals? Do you just use the sell province button? I find that very tedious having to scroll down through that list over and over, especially with literally hundreds of provinces. Plus, if the provinces are not next to the vassal borders I'll be lucky to get a "maybe" for a 0 gold sale offer. And besides, when you conquer and annex a province, you still gain the infamy for it, and selling a province to a vassal doesn't reduce infamy, so why not just keep the provinces?
I do indeed use the "sell" button and sell the provinces for zero ducats. It is indeed a but tedious, but in my cases it's spread out over time so I see it as something to kill time until the next war.

With non-bordering provinces the chance becomes smaller, yes, but with repeated asking you can get the deal done.

And yes, selling provinces to vassals (or anyone for that matter) doesn't decrease you infamy. But not every part of my strategy has to be optimal: I like to have fun, too :) I like making bigger vassals as a way to paint the map my way. Europe in the AAR has been completely reformed in my image and gone far into alt-history territory. A blanket yellow Europe would be much less fun to watch, IMO.

Besides, I already cannot keep tariff effieciency up to 100%, so adding more oversees provinces wouldn't help much.

I can literally imagine Confucius so giddy that half* the population on Earth praises his teachings.
Too bad this is the penultimate update (it rhymed!)... Damn you and your regular updating! *shakes fist at sky*

*Probably more, since you do have CHINA, INDIA AND EUROPE under your boot, besides North America :)
Or maybe he is terrified that so much blood had to be shed to bring his wisdom across the globe? We will never now...

In the future I will update much less frequently. Everything to please the audience.

Are you gonna do another AAR after this? Or extend the end date?
I will certainly not extend the end date as 1) I see the limited time as a challenge and 2) the game is becoming a bit boring. Especially writing about it is quite difficult, as basically all I am doing now is dow, assault, get provinces, sell provinces/release.

I have a plan for another AAR, but I will probably take a break from EU3 in the meantime. I have a Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines game going on that interests me very much and I want to play some Napoleon: Total War.

One thing I will do differently in my next AAR is to reduce workload. The dates at the bottom of pictures and the stats are nice and all, but they take some time to do and it's not fun doing it. When I wrote more and more updates I really began to dread the whole dreadgery of looking up stats and adding the dates to all the pictures. While the end result is nice, I will take a different approach in my next AAR.

It took me about 250 years to vassalize and conquer all of India as Ming and you mostly did it in little over a decade. :eek: That's impressive. :)

Great job knul, too bad it's mostly over :(

Also, I'm sure you meant Delhi (the Indian 'sultanate', or should I say 'Confucian Republic') not Delphi (the Greek city) :)

It took me about 250 years to vassalize and conquer all of India as Ming and you mostly did it in little over a decade. :eek: That's impressive. :)
It just shows that once you get powerful, infamy becomes paramount (and is very important before that as well). Without good CBs or even without CBs at all, conquest is very slow, at least four times slower than with the best CBs.

By the way, I do pay for these conquests: as I have the Templars in power for so long, trade is suffering and I haven't build anything beside the embassy and a building or 2 for many decades.

Great job knul, too bad it's mostly over :(

Also, I'm sure you meant Delhi (the Indian 'sultanate', or should I say 'Confucian Republic') not Delphi (the Greek city) :)
No, I mean Delphi, my ruthless regime has transplanted the Greek ruling elite to India to control the natives.

Okay, okay, I made a spelling error. I also misspelled Ahmednagar. I blame Gimp for having no spellchecker.