• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I noticed in your response to me my quote said three cities, that should have been four, of course. Everytime I have Warsaw, Danzig, Krakow and Lodz (I think that's the fourth VP city), the message pops up immediately about the surrender, and, of course, their fighting on in exile. No delay, as soon as the last city falls, that's it. Poor Poles don't even get a chance to retake it.

I also find that those four are enough, though I have always had the surrender occur at midnight on the night that my troops actually occupy the last city.

Paras are a very interesting tool: if you keep them under human control, they can really shift the battle over to your side, especially if you have enough divisions to hold your ground. And of course, enough transports for 6 PAR divisions means you have enough transports to supply them (air supply missions are a godsend). My theaters were under AI control but I kept the kriegsmarine and the Sondertruppen (is this the correct word for "special forces", like MAR and PAR ?), with the required TRA, under human control.

Anyway, with your gift in storytelling, I'm looking forward to your own Barbarossa. Will you stay on the historical approach, or will you go for some "ahistorical" (?) moves ?

I will keep my "special" troops under manual control (because I don't think the AI handles them very well - and they are too expensive to lose!). I am not sure if the word "sonder" is correct - it does mean "special" but I have only seen it used militarily in a context that we may not discuss here. So I would be reluctant to use it.

The way the French are going I won't have any hope of a "historical" approach. When I have sorted out the problems the Hungarians have created, I am going to have to come up with a strategy to put the French back in their box - and I think I may find this more difficult than Poland.

Thnakyou for the "storytelling gift" comment - but really I am justr writing what happens and trying to think up "real world" reason as to why it would occur that way.

SdKfz- Sonderkraftfahrzeug. I'd say Sonder is an appropriate term "Sonderverband" (am not German fluent). Was not only used by the killing squads but also the Brandenburgers for example.

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=9476

Thaks Palm - my German is about the "Bier bitte!" level. Maybe I was just being ultra cautious.

Anyway, I hope to have an update tomorrow.

I will keep my "special" troops under manual control (because I don't think the AI handles them very well - and they are too expensive to lose!). I am not sure if the word "sonder" is correct - it does mean "special" but I have only seen it used militarily in a context that we may not discuss here. So I would be reluctant to use it.

The way the French are going I won't have any hope of a "historical" approach. When I have sorted out the problems the Hungarians have created, I am going to have to come up with a strategy to put the French back in their box - and I think I may find this more difficult than Poland.

Thnakyou for the "storytelling gift" comment - but really I am justr writing what happens and trying to think up "real world" reason as to why it would occur that way.

With your forces released from Poland, you should be able to push the French back to the Maginot. The original mistake was only using level 1 forts in the Siegfried line. This encouraged them to attack.

If I knew how to upload screenshots, I would show you something that the AI did when I first launched the attack in the west. So I will verbalize; the AI shifted it's forces to intercept a "Von Manstein". It moved units to block the breakthrough. I was lucky, I went with a mechanized "Von Schliffen", this time. But it was interesting to watch the ai try to guess my plan. I did feint an attack in the Ardennse sector.

The one tip I can give you, which if I had to identify the one major contributor to my victory: Powerful armored div (2arm+1mot+1sprt), I only had 3 of this type. They were 6-6 div, and easily could and did take on entire allied corps, individually. Together, they could stop an entire army. These 3 div are what tipped the odds in my favor. I was actually outnumbered, but didn't realize it until after I attacked.

As for Russia, you had better read another GER AAR..."So Wie Wir Kampfen".....after an amazing 6 year campaign, that showed the AI at it's best...the human player was defeated when the SU took Berlin in 1947. At one point the GER player was in the suburbs of Moscow & Leningrad.

Last edited:
BTW, an appropriate German translation for special forces would be Spezialeinheiten, but IIRC neither MTN nor or MAR were really called this (but PAR were sometimes refered to as special forces - but mainly it was used for commando type units).

For example the Abwehr special forces/commandos "Brandenburger" were refered to as Spezialeinheiten.

But I think the same is true in Engish as well, it is just that most of us (including myself) use special forces in a broader menaing ;)

CharonJr

With your forces released from Poland, you should be able to push the French back to the Maginot. The original mistake was only using level 1 forts in the Siegfried line. This encouraged them to attack.

If I knew how to upload screenshots, I would show you something that the AI did went I first launched the attack in the west. So I will verbalize; the AI shifted it's forces to intercept a "Von Manstein". It moved units to block the breakthrough. I was lucky, I went with a mechanized "Von Schliffen", this time. But it was interesting to watch the ai try to guess my plan. I did feint an attack in the Ardennse sector.

The one tip I can give you, which if I had to identify the one major contributor to my victory: Powerful armored div (2arm+1mot+1sprt), I only had 3 of this type. They were 6-6 div, and easily could and did take on entire allied corps, individually. Together, they could stop an entire army. These 3 div are what tipped the odds in my favor. I was actually outnumbered, but didn't realize it until after I attacked.

As for Russia, you had better read another GER AAR..."So Wie Wir Kampfen".....after an amazing 6 year campaign, that showed the AI at it's best...the human player was defeated when the SU took Berlin in 1947. At one point the GER player was in the suburbs of Moscow & Leningrad.

I am sure I will throw them back, my worry is how long it will take me to defeat France. With my fortifications, I didn't build more than Level 1 because I wanted other things more. The forts are only really of use in 1939 so I just built the minimum.

I have some armour divisions like those, but too few. My major problem is, like you, that I am outnumbered. Starting to build up now.

And I read "SWKK" (well, a lot of it). It was from reading other AARS that I realised that the AI coudl actually do quite well. Most of the posts I read in the forums were very critical, but the AARs showed the AI anticipating and seizing the initiative.

Hpoefully in the next day or so I will be able to strike back at the French and see what other surprises the AI has for me.

BTW, an appropriate German translation for special forces would be Spezialeinheiten, but IIRC neither MTN nor or MAR were really called this (but PAR were sometimes refered to as special forces - but mainly it was used for commando type units).

For example the Abwehr special forces/commandos "Brandenburger" were refered to as Spezialeinheiten.

But I think the same is true in Engish as well, it is just that most of us (including myself) use special forces in a broader menaing ;)

CharonJr

Thanks CharonJr

I know it is dangerous to carry rules from one language to another, but in English we would rarely use "special forces" to describe units of division size. Maybe a regiment but usually smaller groups like US Navy SEALs or British commandos.

But this is a game, so I guess anyone can call units whatever they like. I have started to call all my TACs after birds, and my INTs after weapons.

So don't be surprised to see a "Krahe" or a "Schwert" flying by!

As far as I could find out about German Luftwaffe setups, one plane built in HoI probably means a Geschwader, and multiple produce a Luftflotte. To make things confusing, smaller units of multiple Geschwader put together were sometimes called Gruppe, which was also the name of a subordinate unit of a Geschwader.

I did amphibious invasions in Murmansk, Arkhangelsk (to threated Moscow) and Batum in the Black Sea to rush to the oil fields.
The USSR AI doesn't seem to know what a second line of defense is, and is easily catched off guard. The easiest way I found was an invasion of Crimea combined with an armored offensive from Romania (but I tend to puppet or conquer Romania due to the useless alliance system HoI currently has, so I get the land). Feels almost like cheating to be done in two months.

Many thanks to CharonJr and aviath for the proper german term. I'll use it next time I'll play Germany.

I agree with Uriah: when there are no bugs, the AI does a decent job and it's a lot less tedious than controling each individual unit. All in all, using the reasonably effective AI as well as having the whole army command structure (instead of individual units) give a lot of flavor to the game.

As far as I could find out about German Luftwaffe setups, one plane built in HoI probably means a Geschwader, and multiple produce a Luftflotte. To make things confusing, smaller units of multiple Geschwader put together were sometimes called Gruppe, which was also the name of a subordinate unit of a Geschwader.

The USSR AI doesn't seem to know what a second line of defense is, and is easily catched off guard. The easiest way I found was an invasion of Crimea combined with an armored offensive from Romania (but I tend to puppet or conquer Romania due to the useless alliance system HoI currently has, so I get the land). Feels almost like cheating to be done in two months.

Was that with ver1.3? The French seem to be more organised under 1.3 than they were before.

But it will be a while before I get to the Russians - my worry is that they will outnumber me 3 to one by then

Many thanks to CharonJr and aviath for the proper german term. I'll use it next time I'll play Germany.

I agree with Uriah: when there are no bugs, the AI does a decent job and it's a lot less tedious than controling each individual unit. All in all, using the reasonably effective AI as well as having the whole army command structure (instead of individual units) give a lot of flavor to the game.

With the AI, I also find it more enjoyable to not be the omnipotent commander. It brings a sense of reality to have delays when you issue orders, to have individual units approach the objective in ways you would not have considered. And to have to think of the best way to get your orders to the commanders.

Back to the AAR - have to catch up the time I lost due to the Hungarian mess. (Apologies to any Hungarians - you know what I mean!)

Well, don't worry about the Soviets too much, they will DOW you automatically in February 1942 or so.

WHAT? No, that's...that's just bad. In my history class, we learned that Stalin really did trust Hitler to live up to his end of the bargain and refused to listen to his generals who warned Stalin about an German invasion. So, if the USSR declares war automatically, with no casus belli or anything...that would be a little ahistorical.

Why not just have a one-front war against Great Britain and knock the US out of the war, and then decide on the Soviet Union?

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

1st July to 3rd July 1939.

After my late night I had resolved to have a late start, but habit woke me at my usual time and I decided not to set my staff a bad example by turning up mid-morning. So I was at my desk, reviewing the overnight despatches when I heard the news: the Soviet Union has declared war on Finland!

civilians20on20marchfin.jpg

Finns responding to the declaration of war head to a mobilisation point

Like everyone with even a passing interest in world affairs (and everyone in the Kanzlei building has more than a passing interest!) I was aware of the ongoing border disagreements between the Finns and the Russians, but had never thought it would come to war. The Soviets had never been very happy with the border as determined by the Treaty of Tartu, and had been alternatively blustering and wheedling to regain some of the provinces ceded to Finland. In hindsight, there had been some warning signs – Russian claims that its troops had been shelled by the Finns, military “exercises” close to the border.

But this was a bolt from the blue. The more I thought about it, the more suspicious I became. The timing was just too good. We relied very heavily on the Russians not intervening in Poland, and now the Russians were relying on us to stay out of their conflict. The fact that we controlled access to the Ostsee was also significant.

Then I remembered the conversation I had with the official from the Foreign Ministry back in April. He had hinted at a “secret” part of our non-aggression treaty. What if he was right? What if there had been a secret deal between the Reich and the Communists to allow them to use force to get their way with Finland? It all made sense: in exchange for the Soviet Union staying neutral while we dealt with outstanding border issues with Poland over Danzig, we would sit back while they sorted out the Karelian Isthmus.

I have to admit I was not happy with my deductions. The Finns have shown themselves to be plucky in standing up to the Communists, and I find it repugnant that we would allow them to be crushed by our deadliest enemy. But while disappointed, I must acknowledge it makes sense to buy time before we take on the Soviet Union. It is unfortunate for the Finns that they must pay the price for our security.

Several groups of military men were discussing the conflict in the corridors, and it was interesting to hear the divergent views. Overwhelmingly they believed that the Soviets would crush the Finnish Army by sheer weight of numbers, but there one or two dissenting voices, particularly from those who had spent time in Russia in the early thirties when we were developing some of our weaponry there. (Before we decided that the Treaty of Versailles had passed into history). Those officers had concerns about the effect of the Great Purge on the Russian officer group, pointing out that most of those executed had been the younger, more innovative leaders. They also had reservations about the quality of the Russian equipment for a campaign in difficult terrain.

The strongest voice in support of the Finns, surprisingly, came from a Kriegsmarine Kapitan. He had been a liaison officer at the Crichton-Vulcan shipyard in Turku, when we had the first of our Type II U-boats built there in 1933. He spent some time with Finnish military, and in fact had been a guest on several trips to naval and military bases. In his opinion, the Finns were highly motivated and determined to never lose their independence. While their armed forces were relatively small, they were self sufficient to a large degree and had prepared for just such a war. They had studied the terrain of the border areas and were unlikely to fall for the trap of a set piece battle with the Russians. And they had one great ally: the winter.

300pxvetehinenclassatcr.jpg

A photograph the Kapitan showed us of his time in Finland: Type 2 U-boats being secretly constructed at the shipyard inTurku

I still remember his words: “The Communists may win the Summer War, but wait for the Winter War”.

As is now usual, Minister Frick became alarmed that the Fuhrer may want an immediate briefing on the combatants: staff have been ordered to prepare an updated intelligence summary immediately.

While the excitement died down, I returned to my desk and my interrupted review. Once again Jauneaud and his bombers had tried to hit our troops fighting in Pirmasens, once again he has been sent home with a bloody nose. And once again it was the “Schlageter” geschwader that met the French head on. Still no letter from Ernst, but from what I gather the fighters in the west have been flying around the clock, so I suppose I must make allowances.

Another victory was claimed in Poland, this time General Neuling in Tarnoszow. The army officers seemed amused that he claimed it as a victory, pointing out that his battle hardened 71.Infanterie had been fighting the clerks and transport drivers of the Armia Pomorze HQ unit. Still, a win is a win, especially as Neuling lost only one man while the Poles lost 150.

Someone high in the Wehrmacht must be very keen for information on the Summer War: the Baltische Flotte has been sent new orders. They are to proceed to the Inner Gulf of Finland and report on activity. Of course they will be restricted to observing any action in coastal provinces (using their spotter planes), but we will at least have some direct knowledge of how the conflict is going. If only we had an aircraft carrier to take some longer range aircraft. What if we could somehow get one of the newfangled “radars” onto a ship? Would it work?

he604final.jpg

A Heinkel 60 ship-borne reconnaissance plane: our best way to track the Summer War

I must have wasted a few minutes on idle speculation of what it would be like being able to see what the enemy was doing hundreds of miles from the front, when more battle reports arrived.

First the bad news. We have been beaten back from Warszawa, the Poles losing a mere 162 men to our 642. No quick win there. Even worse casualties from another defeat, this time against the French in Pirmasens, where we had 1,223 killed, although the French paid heavily losing 902.

The good news was welcome but nowhere near enough. We have taken Warka, tightening the noose on the Poles, and General de Angelis kept his losses down (129) while his motorised troops swept through Pierarski’s 21st Infantry, killing 288.

The next morning I had expected Minister Frick’s Summer War Intelligence report to be ready, but I was told he has bought some time from the Fuhrer by saying he wants to incorporate the latest information from our fleet, which has just left port. I can see why he has risen so far!

Another Luftwaffe training project completed, showing our bomber crews how to identify and target frontline enemy. That should help our close air support planes blast a hole for the ground troops. Minister Bayerlein’s comments a few days ago must have won someone over: the researchers are now studying advanced supply transportation techniques.

Yet another loss in the west. This is getting more than depressing. How many battles can we lose before the line breaks? Saarlouis is now held by the French, another 422 of our young men are dead (363 of theirs) and still no end in sight in Poland.

I spoke too soon. Hours after the French victory in Saarlouis, von Massow launched what he claims will be the final assault on Warszawa. He only has the 9,000 men of his 23.Infanterie against nearly 40,000 defenders, but he is brimming with confidence. His intelligence is that the Poles are exhausted, their internal command structures have collapsed and they are about to break. I hope he is right, but we have been promised the final victory so many times that I don’t want to get too confident.

warszawafianl.jpg

Battle of Warszawa

Maybe for von Massow’s high spirits are justified. Word has come from Bucharest that the Romanians are mobilising. Something has got them worried. While it is probably the Russian belligerence in the north, it may also be that they anticipate Poland’s imminent collapse.

More reasons to believe the fall of Warszawa is near came in through the afternoon. Heeresgruppe East has ordered a surge forward. Battles have begun in Czestochowa, Lomza and Opoczno, commanded by some of our best generals (Geyr von Schweppenburg, Agricola and von Kuchler respectively). While only three of our divisions are involved (2nd Leichte Panzer, 72nd and Falkenberg), more than 50,000 Poles are now unable to move to support the defenders of Warszawa. It looks as though General Wleniawa-Dlugoszowski will have to make do with what he has available. There are smiles in the map rooms and the military advisers are looking much more relaxed. If the west can just hold a little longer, help will be on its way.

czestochowafinal.jpg

Battle of Czestochowa

lomzafinal.jpg

Battle of Lomza

opocznofinal.jpg

Battle of Opoczno

There was a quiet around the office on the 3rd, as if everyone was aware of the battle raging hundreds of kilometres to the east. We all carried out our duties, but I know I kept waiting for the sound of someone running from the radio room with the word that Warszawa had fallen.

Mid-day passed and finally the information package was ready for Minister Frick to provide to the Fuhrer and the Cabinet.

finland37final.jpg

Position map provided by Baltische Flotte

Our intelligence on Finland is voluminous. We have had political and military links for many years and are well aware of their economic position. Although the economy is small, it is quite strong and can provide decent equipment for the armed forces. The Finnish constraint is manpower. Somehow they have managed to put 11 divisions into the field, with four headquarters units. Helsinki is held by the RTI Garrison, while the Supreme HQ is at Kemijarvi. North Finland HQ is at Korvatunturi, SE Finland HQ at Kuolisma and III Armeijakunta is at Viipuri. Erilliset Pataljoonat 11-13 are at Pahkalampi and 10 Divisioona is at Kostomuska. The small airforce is, we believe, at Oulu.

The Soviet Union is more of a mystery. We have had great trouble keeping our spies alive, and our intelligence reports are full of guesses and estimates. However we know they have at least 72 divisions, and that eleven of those are armoured units. The air force is more of a secret, kept well back from the frontier. We do know, however, that Leningrad airbase has a fighter and a tactical bomber wing deployed for combat with the Finns. The naval base at Leningrad is a high security area: we assume that their fleet is based there but numbers and ship classes are not known.

383pxethnosnewspaperfin.jpg

Is this how our liaison officer discovered the Italian-Greek war? By reading a copy of the Greek newspaper “Ethnos”?

Late in the afternoon we had some disturbing news from our military liaison office in Rome. The Italians have kept it very quiet, but they have been fighting the Greek army in the mountains south of Albania. It was quite clear why they have been reluctant to pass on this information: the Greeks have surged across the border and the Italians are retreating. Heaven knows what they think they are doing: they should be concentrating on the French! We had been aware of troops passing through Yugoslavia (our Belgrade Embassy has close contacts in the Yugoslav government and had told us the Italians had requested transit permission) but had never thought that the Italians would do any more than reinforce the border areas.

greece37final.jpg

Albania and Greece at 3rd July 1939

Finally, the news we had all been waiting for: Warszawa is ours! There were cheers throughout the building, and as it was already late, there was a rush to get to the nearest bars and restaurants to celebrate. Only a few of us stayed to complete the bombing summary and army position diagrams, putting work before pleasure. But I doubt that anyone noticed.

Bombing summary

1st July 1939

Warszawa: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 83, 121, 99
Sarreguinnes: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 98, 112, 104
Belchatow: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 101, 92, 70
Warka: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 94, 132, 67
Cattenom: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 43, 59, 46

2nd July 1939

Cattenom: Dorstling with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 51, 111, 57
Belchatow: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 132
Warszawa: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 106, 124, 60
Saarlouis: Sperrle with Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 90, 91

3rd July 1939

Lomza: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 103, 115, 48
Opoczno: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 94, 94, 50
Warszawa: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 89, 87

fallweiss37finalend.jpg

Fall Weiss at 3rd July 1939

Steady progress everywhere: the only real change is at Opoczno where General Taczak has seen the Mazowiecko Brigada Kavelerii break and run, leaving him only the two headquarters units to hold the province. He is using delaying tactics but von Kuchler's Falkenbergers are pushing forward, scenting victory.

westwallfinal.jpg

Westwall at 3rd July 1939

alps37final.jpg

French-Italian border at 3rd July 1939

Last edited:
Well, don't worry about the Soviets too much, they will DOW you automatically in February 1942 or so.

As long as I have beaten the French by then, I'll handle it!:)

WHAT? No, that's...that's just bad. In my history class, we learned that Stalin really did trust Hitler to live up to his end of the bargain and refused to listen to his generals who warned Stalin about an German invasion. So, if the USSR declares war automatically, with no casus belli or anything...that would be a little ahistorical.

Why not just have a one-front war against Great Britain and knock the US out of the war, and then decide on the Soviet Union?

I think that if I did that Germany would have such a threat level I would be fighting everyone, not just the Russians. And there is no way I could land a large expeditionary force in mainland USA while maintaining a sufficient garrison in the east to deter the USSR.

Back to writing: a lot to catch up.

Too bad you don't manually control planes. A few logistical strikes would work like a handbrake on the Belgians.

Was that with ver1.3? The French seem to be more organised under 1.3 than they were before.
That was with the AIIP mod in 1.3. The AI seems good at waging war provided it has resources to do so (people have reported even sensible paradrops), and AIIP helps in that regard.

In France, the front is short, so the AI actually has reserves or units it can pull away from the frontline quickly.

In the USSR, the front is too long for the AI to ever have numbers that would allow it a defense in depth. Pulling units away from the front is not easy due to the distances and bad infrastructure. This is made even worse by limited manpower in 1.3, and the fact that the USSR AI completely ignores militia in favor of stronger, but fewer units.

Surprising to see that Warsawa has fallen, but no report on losses has been sent from the general ;)

Great update, yet again :)

And there is no way I could land a large expeditionary force in mainland USA while maintaining a sufficient garrison in the east to deter the USSR.

I wasn't talking about that. I meant to say that if you attack the United Kingdom and defeat them, then USA knows that it can't attack the Reich. It will have no choice but seek a white peace, thereby getting them out of the war.

Luckily, the USA aren't involved in the war. Yet. Occupying the UK will have to wait until Poland, Belgium and France have been defeated. Once those objectives have been achieved, the ground forces will probably have a small window where they can be used against Britain, but I doubt the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe will be able to support them.