• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nossnahoj

Major
47 Badges
Jul 16, 2008
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
What am I missing here???

Why would I ever want to do this? Seems like all the effects are really horrible...

IIRC it helps with spreading your culture into provinces that have other assorted cultures...

I am curious as to the exact effects and workings of this decision also.

Things like does a province lose the negative effects once culture changes, or are you stuck with them the rest of the game...?

Sort of negates the income gain from accepted culture if that be the case...

T

edit: RR reduction is the only reason to use it...?
RR will fall eventually on it's own, and there are many alternatives that work without cutting the throat of an otherwise good province...

Last edited:
yup, the settlement_policy modifier is cancelled when the province assimilate. The event is as easy to read ;):

Code:
#Settlement Policy
province_event = {
	id = 9461
	trigger = {
		has_province_modifier = settlement_policy
	}
	mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 600
	}
	title = "EVTNAME9461"
	desc = "EVTDESC9461"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA9461"
		remove_province_modifier = settlement_policy
		culture = THIS
	}
}

Thanks much... Haven't begun to dig in HT³ yet.

Now I got one less thing to check out... :cool:

T

Oki good thanks for the info... the second question then, do you actually use it? and under what circumstances? I can see it more relevant on a new island or so where your culture could never spread otherwise? On mainland Europe where you already have some 3 provinces bordering it ou would expect to get the change for free?

just some thoughts....

Yeah, it's a nice flavor decision for when you have a stable empire. One thing that might be a bit gamey, but I like to do anyway, is to make sure I have a good network of basetax 8 provinces with the state culture to get the glorious monument decision (with awesome +0.5 prestige -0.05 BB )

See also
http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Provincial_decisions
(which I typed up recently, so if you see flaws or things that are lacking, please comment)

One idea would be to plop it on CoT provinces while waiting on them to core.

The main reason to use it is to spread your culture to areas where it can't spread by normal means. Normal culture spread can only affecting neighboring provinces, so if you have any sizable area that isn't connected to your nation by land provinces (such as british control of india, or taking over japan or something), then you can use settlement policy on one province in that area to seed your culture there, and from that one province it can spread on it's own.

I had no idea of what this was at first either. The tooltip only tells you the immediate impact not the possible outcome. I learned only through trial. I experimented with one of my Indian provinces. Luckily it converted right away so I learned and quickly tried out my other sites that it was available.

from that one province it can spread on it's own.

It's also quite a lot faster than the 'regular' spread.

CoTs, and 8+ basetax provinces (for the monument mentioned before) can be good targets.. But if you're playing a colonising game, I wouldn't bother.

i guess i am just unlucky... i never use this feature.

In fact i have never EVER been able to get it to work which is why I never use it. 100s of years and its just a constant BB hit is kinda lame...

You can move your national focus and get the same effects over a spread of bordering provinces at the same time and get much quicker results without any BB hit...

Another thing that s*cks is when you are at war and hold an enemy prov that has enabled that decision YOU take the AI's BB hit for trying to culturally convert it because you hold (not own) the prov.

Its broken in that regard, and pretty useless otherwise but just in my expereince.

In theory yes, but i never checked if it works both ways.

I assume it would work the same way, but no guarantee they wouldn't just cancel it and take a -10 prestige hit.

i guess i am just unlucky... i never use this feature.

In fact i have never EVER been able to get it to work which is why I never use it. 100s of years and its just a constant BB hit is kinda lame...

You can move your national focus and get the same effects over a spread of bordering provinces at the same time and get much quicker results without any BB hit...

Another thing that s*cks is when you are at war and hold an enemy prov that has enabled that decision YOU take the AI's BB hit for trying to culturally convert it because you hold (not own) the prov.

Its broken in that regard, and pretty useless otherwise but just in my expereince.
I am hardly pressed to sign a peace treaty when the enemies have multiple provinces with settlement policy enacted.:rofl: