• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

1415 - 1417 : everybody hates the Bourguignons !​

(Because of the lack of events during those years, this post will concern three years)

At last I had a small revenge on the Bourguignons Family. With their high numbers of wars accross Europe against fellow Christians, their relations with the Pope fell far enough. Still Papal controller, the Lancaster regency Council asked the Pope to excommunicate the young François Ier de Bourgogne, who got the head of Burgundy only in 1412 ! By March 1415, the Pope validated our demands. :mad:

In october 1416, Burgundy signed a white peace with Austria, mostly because both states were unable to send troops where was the enemy, lacking military access through the Holy Roman Empire.

Of course, those scums could not stay without war and annexions ! In November of this same year, they declared war on Hainaut and Lorraine once again ! A truly important fact is that they were allied with Hainaut in the war against Austria ! Those scummy dogs have no honor at all ! How dare they claim the crown of France ? They don't even have enough honor to hold a noble title ! :mad: They ended this war in may 1417 by annexing their former ally Hainaut...

All those terrible actions could not stay unpunished. The Valois also began to have a really bad opinion of the Bourguignon House. They decided to break their alliance in mid 1417 !

For my part, during those three years, I took some time to rebuild my reputation with European crowns, partially destroyed by my infamy following the wars in France and Ireland. I also built new troops, to replace the important number of mercenaries I used in the last war against the Valois. THis last war really cost me a lot of money because of this. The next war will see a much more greater number of regular troops in place of those mercenaries.

In december 1417, the situation was mostly the same in France and England. What has been reinforced during those three years was the hate the three crowns had for each other !

The two Kingdoms in december 1417

Last edited:
Really enjoying this AAR, I like your style and the map at the end of each update is a nice touch!

Well, for my part it's specially a pleasure to notice your first post ever on Paradox forums was to say that about this AAR ;)

Thanks ;)

Welcome by the way

Last edited:

1418 - 1419 : times of crisis​

The year 1418 was again specially calm in events.

As the truce with the Valois was coming to its end, I had a nice proposition from Portugal. They asked me for an alliance. Now, if the Valois seek revenge in the next year, a powerfull ally will be able to come to my help ! Let's hope they have more honor than the Bourguignon Family ! This was at least the proof that my diplomatic actions throughout Europe were effective ! And most of all, it proves that the nobles leading the regency council are truly faithfull to the Lancaster dynasty !

However, despite this good news in january 1419, this year was full of bad news !

In february, a comet pass too much closer of Earth, creating panic movements everywhere in Europe ! And in March, some crazy preacher tried to launch an heresy in Kent. Of course, this madman was arrested and executed. However, territories ruled by the Lancaster Family was clearly destabilized by those events.

Then, the last decision made in april 1419 by my Regency council to improve quality of our armies dropped once again our stability. Now this is clearly a crisis period for England !

The people clearly show its wish to see a King ruling again !

The comet created movements of panic all accross Europe

Those events did not kept me from continuing my diplomatic policies in Europe. In May 1419, I was able to sign a new alliance, this time with Aragon ! The former Valois allies might now decide to attack them by the south if a new war begins between the Lancaster and Valois houses !

Unlike the two other Houses, the Lancasters do not have a lack of friends in Europe !

By July 1419, it was once again time for war in France. The Valois House decided to take on the "independant" small states in the Kingdom. I had no doubt by that time that they would win this war really quickly and annex territories. The fact that I was not able to launch a war myself was now really painfull. If the Valois continue to strengthen themsleves, the next war might be harder that the previous one.

The Valois are still willing to prove their rightness to the French crown by bringing most of the Kingdom under their rule through war

This year 1419 has been very hard for England. I was glad december came to begin something new. Now at -1 stability, without the money revenues I had in 1418, it would be a terrible moment for me to be attacked by the Valois or the Bourguignon as they are strengthening. I must rebuild everything before they have the occasion to strike against the Lancaster House !

The two Kingdoms in december 1419

Last edited:
Maybe once you've stabilized a bit, you should throw a warning at Burgundy. That way you might be able to fight them without the Valois getting involved. Maybe if you're lucky, you might be fighting along side the HRE.

Maybe once you've stabilized a bit, you should throw a warning at Burgundy. That way you might be able to fight them without the Valois getting involved. Maybe if you're lucky, you might be fighting along side the HRE.

Mmh... i'm saying that without anger, only humor for the 3rd or 4th time :) (the fifth I bite :D)

I CAN'T GO TO WAR !!!

My next king is still only 8 years old and if they don't attack me or attack states I'm guaranteeing or I'm allied with I can't go into war... So for the at least 8 next years I won't attack Valois nor Burgundy nor Scotland from my initiative... If this heir do not die before !!!

Mmh... i'm saying that without anger, only humor for the 3rd or 4th time :) (the fifth I bite :D)

I CAN'T GO TO WAR !!!

My next king is still only 8 years old and if they don't attack me or attack states I'm guaranteeing or I'm allied with I can't go into war... So for the at least 8 next years I won't attack Valois nor Burgundy nor Scotland from my initiative... If this heir do not die before !!!
:rofl: Sorry. That's kind of what I meant by stabilized though.

1420 - 1422 : two alliances facing each other

(Because of the lack of events during those years, this post will concern three years)

The year 1420 has been really calm in term of events.

In early 1421, I decided that I had enough allies and friendships in Europe to assure my security. It was time to do some moves in France. I proclaimed guarantee on the three former Valois vassals Armagnac, Auvergne and Bourbonnais. Now, the Valois won't be able to do any new move without my intervention ! And this simple fact might protect thos states from any Valois intervention !

I also proclaimed guarantee of the Valois and I was still guaranteeing the Bourguignons... Strange move ? not at all !!! Now, if any new war happens in the French Kingdom, I will be able to intervene in the war ! This means that either the Valois and the Bourguignons stop their expansions, or we are at war, and I'll be the one with allies.

In August of this year 1421, the Valois at last ended their war. They annexed the city of Avignon, and Morbihan. Now, they are stronger than they were before the last war. The next will then be harder than ever.

I immediately funded breton partiots in Morbihan, a territory where they were unable to send troops because of their lack of fleet and military roads to Brittany.

In april 1422, the Bourguignons and the Valois answered my latest diplomatic move in the French Kingdom. They signed a new alliance. Now, if those alliance hold and are respected, a war wit those two alliances might happen : the Valois and Bourguignons against the Lancasters, Portugal and Aragon !

By the end of 1422, peace is still everywhere is the French Kingdom. The three crown are waiting for the next war (or at least I am :D) but the current balance of forces assure at least still for some years this peace to continue.

For my part, I will soon be able to declare war when I wish it, as my future king is now 11 years old !

The two Kindoms in december 1422

By February 1423, the revolted Britons nationalists had taken Vendée. As they were able to revolt in the first place in Morbihan because I founded them, it seems like they had decided that the Lancasters were the Britons' best friends ! (I was myself pretty shocked by this strange idea !:confused: )

Anyway, this meant that once Vendée was taken, decided to join the Lancaster rule ! Now, Vendée is part of my territories ! :D

Then, on March 1423, what had to arrive arrived. The Valois declared war on Armagnac. The truly strange numbers of alliances and independances guaranteed made very difficult for diplomats to understand what really happened in terms of military alliances. Anyway, after all the lords took their sides in the war, the former Valois + Bourguignons versus Lancaster became that :

This time, all those alliances made it impossible for the Bourguignons to not betray someone. They choose de betray the Valois for once !

Let's be clear, this "alliance" does not mean Bourguignons and Lancaster are now friends. It just means that we all had to choose a side and it ended by having both of us on the same side. Of course we still hate each other !!!

With the armies of the three crowns ready to fight, this time the first battles arrived very quickly. In Anjou first, where two strong armies led by Lancaster and the Valois fought. Then the Lancaster army followed the Valois army in Poitou, and here is the result :

In June, the nobles and the Lancaster family went through a huge fear. The Heir went sick. Fortunately, he was able to recover this time... In those times of war, losing the Lancaster Heir would have been really painfull.

All the way until october 1423 saw the fights mostly focused on the northern parts of France, around Anjou, Orléans and Paris. However the first main consequence of the war has been seen in the south, as the Valois were able to annex Armagnac.

By december 1423, it was fair to say that the Valois armies were no match against the coalized Bourguignons and Lancaster forces. Fights were almost finished in 2/3rd of France only nine month after the war declaration. Only in the south the Valois were able to keep fighting to keep some free territories. Paris was about to fell for the second time and the weak Valois fleet was deep under the surface of the Atlantic Ocean. The progression has been so quick that some parts of Europe just began to hear about the war when Poitou and Berry fell !

The good part in this was that the Lancaster were in charge of the peace negociation. Not the Bourguignons...

The two kingdoms and the state of the war in december 1423

Last edited:
Actually, it might not be a bad idea to take southern France for yourself and let Burgundy take the provinces next to Ile-de-France. This way, Paris will be yours for the taking in the next war, you'll get the rich provinces of Guyenne and Toulouse, and you'll be able to grab the rest of the area near Paris in the war with Burgundy, along with the coast of the English Channel. Plus, it will make the war with Burgundy more challenging. :p

Actually, it might not be a bad idea to take southern France for yourself and let Burgundy take the provinces next to Ile-de-France. This way, Paris will be yours for the taking in the next war, you'll get the rich provinces of Guyenne and Toulouse, and you'll be able to grab the rest of the area near Paris in the war with Burgundy, along with the coast of the English Channel. Plus, it will make the war with Burgundy more challenging. :p
This. Gut France utterly and take the South for yourself and give the territories in the North to the Burgundians

dont let the burgundians take terretory! :rofl:

I won't ;)

Cut the beast in half! :D

This. Gut France utterly and take the South for yourself and give the territories in the North to the Burgundians

For you three, well actually my first priority is to have all my territories in France linked together. So Poitou is my first priority. And I also have the mission to conquer Berry so I will also take Berry :)

After that I think you guys are right the south look nice :) (and also more sun for my retiring troops :D) so I'll probably go with Armagnac. After that : let's kick some Bourguignon asses !!!

And Dinofs I truly think that war against Burgundy will be harder than against the Valois. With all the territories they conquered they have a lot more power than at the begining of the war. Actually in this war they simply have TWICE the number of troops I got !!! So war against them will be a challenge ;)

1424 - 1425 : the three crowns at war part II

The first half od 1424 was pretty "calm", mostly taking territories and fighting the last remaining Valois armies.

In August 1424, the Bourguignons signed a peace treaty with the Valois. They simply asked for the Lyonnais. Those traitors are not even capable of honoring a war when they firstly went into it !! :mad:

In November 1424, Aragon and Savoie declared war on the Valois, using their current weakness to fight for their claims on the French Kingdom. This is most unfortunate. This is not something I can allow. The Lancaster have the only legitimate claim to be the French king. If those wants to own territories that belongs to the French Kingdom, they will have to pledge allegiance !

The Valois are surrounded by their ennemies !

The war still continuing between Lancasters and the Valois. As such, it was the perfect opportunity for the scummy Bourguignons to move their pawns in France ! Those honorless dogs insulted us ! And thus claimed the Pays de Caux !

They should be happy the Lancasters can't intervene for now !

At last in April 1425, the Valois were totally crushed. Paris was into my hands, like almost every single piece of land owned by the Valois. They had no choice but to accept my peace demands.

The state of the war before the peace treaty of 1425

Peace treaty of 1425

In may 1425, two new major events happened. The Regency council vote a new mission. In their opinion, to vassalise Scotland was now the new priority to protect the Lancasters territories.

Also, the Britons rebels fighting against France also decided to join the Lancasters, as it seems they also believed this dynasty was the best choice for the future of Brittany !

However, as legitimate our claims were on France, other countries began to be worried about seeing the two Kingdoms of France and England beinig united. On may 9th, 1425, the Kingdom of Castille warned me they were ready to go to war against me if I continued my expansion... Of course, they can't threaten me !!! Or i'll crush them...

By december 1425, it is now clear that the lancasters are stonger than ever in France, while the Valois are now the weakest. The real opposition is now between the Lancasters and the Bourguinons. Lots of treasons from the last of course rise exponentially the probability of war.

Now, as the Lancasters see towards strengthening their positions in France and stabilizing the whole Kingdoms situation, and when the Heir is about to rise to the English throne (he is now 13 years old), and my infamy is at 18 !!! everything shows that wars will continue and the Hundred years war will continue to be deadly to thousands of French and English people !!

The two Kingdoms in december 1425

Last edited:
Why not separate Paris from the rest of France? Surely you had enough WS to take Poitou as well as the two French provinces next to Paris.

Why not separate Paris from the rest of France? Surely you had enough WS to take Poitou as well as the two French provinces next to Paris.

Well I just wanted to annex 3 territories because of my already high infamy. And if I took Anjou + those two provinces they would be cut from my territories...

And I really wanted to acheive my mission by taking Berry...

Then I could just take one more province, and I decided to follow your advice by taking Armagnac ;)

Last edited:
Well I just wanted to annex 3 territories because of my already high infamy. And if I took Anjou + those two provinces they whould be cut from my territories...

And I really wanted to acheive my mission by taking Berry...

Then I could just take one more province, and I decided to follow your advice by taking Armagnac ;)

Ah, infamy. The bane of every would-be conqueror. :p