• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(464000)

Private
1 Badges
Mar 12, 2012
  • Darkest Hour
Hello to all forum users, I have an idea:
What if the developers make a new game, different from all the above?.
My idea is a game where the player can be the ruler of a nation, leading from his palace his nation, meeting with kings, emperors, presidents and prime ministers, experiencing the life of a head of state and managing their nation of a new way, from his office.
Would you like to be the Tsar Nicolas II see from his eyes, walk in the winter palace when suddenly comes the prime minister and informs them that the Archduke of Austria has been killed, or be the Sultan of Turkey and that it reaches a telegram with the new that the Greeks, Bulgarians and Serbs attack the empire, to suffer attacks in first person and the player's life depends on his bodyguards, etc..
In my opinion it would be an interesting idea to do a role play from the point of view of a king, president or emperor.
You are saying?

Like Crusader Kings II? Or do you want it to be in a first-person view as well? If the latter, our engine is not really built for that.

I think he means something more like a "god simulation" except that one role-plays a Monarch/Head of State instead of a god, so a Monarch/President sim.

Reply to Kallocain

Kallocain:
I mean like an first person shooter without guns, like the mount e blade games, but with an big difference: You are the King of Greece, the Kaiser of Germany or A-H, or the Tsar of Russia, Emperor of China, etc. I suggest being an head of state in first person view, in other words feel like an monarch or president from any historical era. You have your own palace based on the real palaces (ej: the forbidden city, the buckingham palace, versailles palace, winter palace, etc...). Also the player could suffer assasination attemps (and could work, sometimes). Also the player could greet the crowds. Having to deal with real and false situations, having all the state funds at your disposal, in other words reenacting the life on the most important characters of any century (I find interesting the period covered by Pride of Nations).
The sistem used by Mount e Blade, and War of the Roses could be the base to such game.

Kallocain:
I mean like an first person shooter without guns, like the mount e blade games, but with an big difference: You are the King of Greece, the Kaiser of Germany or A-H, or the Tsar of Russia, Emperor of China, etc. I suggest being an head of state in first person view, in other words feel like an monarch or president from any historical era. You have your own palace based on the real palaces (ej: the forbidden city, the buckingham palace, versailles palace, winter palace, etc...). Also the player could suffer assasination attemps (and could work, sometimes). Also the player could greet the crowds. Having to deal with real and false situations, having all the state funds at your disposal, in other words reenacting the life on the most important characters of any century (I find interesting the period covered by Pride of Nations).
The sistem used by Mount e Blade, and War of the Roses could be the base to such game.

Sounds a bit like Tropico, but that's in a third person view.

Sounds interesting, to a point. I like the idea of actually immersing into that life. However, would it be in real time? There are some days that I am sure would be boring, nothing to do but sit there and call on the jester to entertain you. Would it include feasts, tourneys, hunts, and other forms of "entertainment" (could get the game a teen or mature rating if done accurately)? And, I suppose there are those times when you would be called on to lead the fights and rally the troops, or when things get hairy, relive a besiegment of your castle (Do you trust your king?! Let the horn blow in the deep, one last time. Ride out to meet them....... death!!!!) Hmm, liking this already. Sounds like a real niche game though, but hey isn't tht what Paradox is all about? ;)

The RPG are very interesting, such game could be an sandbox game with some moments at a map and anothers in first person like Mount e Blade (the two main diferences are that in M&B you are in an fictional medieval age and in my "idea" you are in an actual nation in an historical age of history, and in M&B you are an knight and maybe an king and in my "idea" you are the king"), also some potential features could be managing your empire from your office. Never thought if I were king i would...

thought about this a bit this morning. You could start a base game with a European set of scenarios spanning various time periods. Each scenario would have its own limits, challenges, world view. Say, pick one of several grecian city states as a beginning scenario, where your focus is much more localized, though with interactions with other city states (like a first person simcity or other sims). Another being during the roman republic era, much like the scenario of the start of eu rome, though maybe fewer options for a state. Another in the imperial roman era, during the times of early expansion. I would do the "fall" period, but that would be very challenging to win for some leaders .
Others time periods to include in around late dark ages (7-800s), the 1200s, the 1400s, the 1600s, the 1700s, the 1800s, the 1900s, and today. Now, there could be DLC's and expansions for additional regions and cultures (asian, african, middle eastern, americas). Perhaps other DLCs would handle a less court based development (i.e. barbarian invasions, mongols, pirates, insurgency/guerilla warfare).
In each scenario you could choose how long you want to have your "reign" to be (10 years, 20, 50), and there is an ample opportunity for multiplayer as people could represent the various kingdoms and states in the era.

Couple other thoughts. While so many games take place on the map, in this, the map is just one of many tools at your disposal, to view with your officials. However, dependant on the era, the map is very different. In ancient eras, the map is localized, crude, not accurate enough to see what your rivals are up to, only to guess at. However, as eras get later, the maps get more detailed, more broad. By the modern era of satellites, we can be in a "situation room" with real time data coming in.

Like Crusader Kings II? Or do you want it to be in a first-person view as well? If the latter, our engine is not really built for that.

Well you keep your engine running in the back without the graphical backend, build a high level automation system that factors what the player says to his entourage and their skills, do another system for feedback to the player, hire a bunch of voice over performers, and done :p

PETE0714:
First of all what do you man with an " Base Game", i have no knowledge of programming (except modifying and creating events, countries, and some idea of ​​characters in the HoI2 and DH games)?:sad:.

Last edited:
PETE0714:
First of all what do you man with an " Base Game", i have no knowledge of programming (except modifying and creating events, countries, and some idea of ​​characters in the HoI2 and DH games)?:sad:.
I was speaking of a hypothetical initial game released, over which all other expansions or additions might be added. For example. HoI 2 is the base game, but Doomsday and Armageddon were expansions of that base game (darkest hour is a modification of that base game as well, I am sure you are familiar.)

I will not pretend to know anything about programming either. I love the concept of this, but I will leave it up to someone else to devise a program for it. I would love to help with the conceptual work, though ;)

No, sorry, I don't. I just liked your idea, along with some additions that I thought of that I shared (which you may or may not have liked or quite understood). Like you, I am just suggesting the ideas to the paradox team, and perhaps they might be interested.
If this idea gets enough supporters it will become a game, by the will of the paradox comunity, so we must get enough supporters.
Who is with me?!?!? ;)

If you're serious about it I'd advise to try to do some modding first. It will give you some useful experience, you can build a group of people and it will put the task ahead into perspective.

Serious programmers won't really help people like you with just a vague idea and no experience. Not because they don't like you, but because there's a lot of you who vanish after a short period of time.

If you're serious about it I'd advise to try to do some modding first. It will give you some useful experience, you can build a group of people and it will put the task ahead into perspective.

Serious programmers won't really help people like you with just a vague idea and no experience. Not because they don't like you, but because there's a lot of you who vanish after a short period of time.
Modding what? I mean what game because there are a lot of game that could be used to mod, i already have some knowledge on modding so i believe that if i start modding something i will make it work. But the question is what game. So what game do you suggest me to mod?.

Last edited: