• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
People having speed problems should post some numbers for HttT 4.1b vs. DW. e.g. how many seconds per month at speed 5 zoomed all the way in with a European country at the start of the game.

For players having the Creek/England crusade wars and Portugal discovering Japan very early in game clearing the map cache works. When you load the game up after clearing the map cache you may have the wrong checksum (I did) but a quick quit then reloading of the game will give you the right one again.

People having speed problems should post some numbers for HttT 4.1b vs. DW. e.g. how many seconds per month at speed 5 zoomed all the way in with a European country at the start of the game.

That's pointless, DW will almost always end up being slower because of the improved graphics and apparent increase in number of events/scripts/etc.

People with lag probably have old and slow video cards that aren't able to handle the increased graphical detail.

That's pointless, DW will almost always end up being slower because of the improved graphics and apparent increase in number of events/scripts/etc.

People with lag probably have old and slow video cards that aren't able to handle the increased graphical detail.
If we can see that people had poor performance in HttT already and got worse in DW then we can probably conclude it is a limitation of their system (without necessarily needing to get all the details of their CPU/GPU/memory/etc).

Fourth impression: Ack, the Ottomans now own 100% of what used to be Golden Horde land due to the AI peace bug. This needs fixing, methinks.

I have an Athlon dual-core processor, 4 Gb of RAM and an 512 Mb Nvidia graphics card, but I'm still getting noticeable lag when zoomed in. I doubt that my system is at fault when it can run HttT on maximum settings flawlessly.

some first impressions:

1. only one of a type of advisor at a time. That changes the financial game, but in a good way. Makes National Bank NI a lot more important. I love the bonuses that come with trading.

2. Armies are much smarter, especially Scotland. As England I had to raise 40-50k work of troops as 4 different nations invaded the isles(France, Portugal, Aragon, Sicily). Navies are much more important now than ever. Later on in the game, I did notice that once you get about 50-70 ships around the home isles, countries are less likely to invade, even with a dow.

3. Maneuver is a big deal now. You have to arrange your troops in a chess like fashion to corner your enemies. Even Aztec and Mutapa are hard to tie down. And they will raise troops like crazy and exploit every advantage. This means you cannot take large swaths of land easily.

4. I like the way buildings are set up, with needing magistrates, but it is balanced so that you can get real improvements if you use them correctly. It makes the financial game a lot more balanced. I also like the trade buildings, but you have to really think about where to build them now. less mouse clicking and more thinking.

5. alliances are real tricky to navigate right now. You have to be careful who you declare war on and who you ally with. You have to be allied with someone, but you have to pick and choose your allies carefully.

6. love the graphics. I love the paper map, and especially how it names my holdings(ie "British North America" etc.) very cool.

The only thing I would think to add is some more attrition for traveling long distances. Especially for ships in the early game. It shouldn't be easy for France or some European nation to blockade India early on. But other than that, it has a much better feel for that period. This is the best expansion yet.

Easy to say... not so easy to do. Well, time consuming at least. I'd have to make a fresh install of EU3, then apply each expansion in turn up to HttT. Run the tests.

I'm perfectly happy to say that I have a low-end video card (NVidia 8400GS), though I have made sure to install the latest certified driver. The point is that it ran HttT significantly and noticeably faster, unless I zoom out to the 'paper map' screen of DW, particularly the political one.

Steve.

I don't really think it's a hardware issue; I mentioned before that my system is fairly strong... I play many games across many genres, so I have a decent idea where my computer stands.

So far as old/slow video cards or generally weak hardware being at fault, I have an ATI 5850 w/1 gb vram, it's hardly old or slow. :) Processor is an Intel E8400 (3.0 ghz dual-core) and I have 2gb ram which is plenty on Windows XP.

I haven't uninstalled Divine Wind yet despite my complaints earlier... if I do, perhaps I'll do a time trial like jdrou suggested.

I don't really think it's a hardware issue; I mentioned before that my system is fairly strong... I play many games across many genres, so I have a decent idea where my computer stands.

So far as old/slow video cards or generally weak hardware being at fault, I have an ATI 5850 w/1 gb vram, it's hardly old or slow. :) Processor is an Intel E8400 (3.0 ghz dual-core) and I have 2gb ram which is plenty on Windows XP.

I haven't uninstalled Divine Wind yet despite my complaints earlier... if I do, perhaps I'll do a time trial like jdrou suggested.

OK, a Radeon 5850 is definitely not old or slow, I stand corrected.

Though 2 GB of RAM isn't very much by today's standards :p

I don't know if anyone else has posted this but I found a solution to the long save game time. I was experiencing 2 problems: 1) Each time I saved (auto or manual) it took a very long time and 2) when loading a saved game from the main screen it took a long time to pull up the list of saved games.

Both of the problems ceased when I deleted all saved games. As I save new games now the problem hasn't returned.

Something else that really annoyed me in HTTT that has been fixed..

If you have ships in port (to patrol for pirates) all over the place, at some point they will sit on top of the province instead of at the harbor, making it incredibly frustrating to see at a glance where you have troops. Now ships seems to stay at port, which really helps on headaches!

As a quick speed test on my ultraportable here at work I ran the first 3 months in less than 20 seconds in HttT and in about 24 seconds in DW. This is a quite fast CPU (Core i7-620M with a max TurboBoost speed of 3.33GHz) but only Intel GMA HD graphics. Windows 7 x64 with 8GB RAM (of which 1.7GB used by graphics).

Well, gave Divine Wind another shot, and had some fun with countries being unwilling to give peace to countries they had conquered. First I saw it with Aragon - for probably over 10 years they had all their mainland occupied by Castille. Of course, since I was playing Brittany, I later got to experience this personally as France held all my mainland provinces but couldn't get my provinces in north Africa. They wouldn't make or accept any peace offers with 78% warscore against me. At this point, I quit; I'll be back when somebody fixes the map and somebody else fixes the AI.

I'm loving the new concepts introduced in the game. The new alliance system has been great so far and has certainly made me think a little bit more about who I declare war on.

One little thing that took some getting used to was the change in regiment numbers when hovered over with the mouse. What I mean by this is in HttT, you could see numbers in cavalry/infanty/artillery. It is now infantry/cavalry/artillery. Not a big deal, but something I probably should have paid a little more attention to when I created my first units.

The only negative thing I can say about this version is that after a few in-game years the game slows down so much that it becomes unplayable. I've tried the game on my desktop and my newer and faster notebook just to see if there was a difference, but I ran into the same problems. In the early stages I was getting the problem where people zoom in on the map and it lags, but zooming out speeds it up for a while. However, now that I've made it up to 1423 as Brabant, zooming out has lost any benefit as it eventually becomes just as slow. As with one poster on here, I'll give it another go when a patch is released to fix this as the game is just not even remotely fun when it becomes that slow. Knowing Paradox, I'm fairly confident that a fix will be out quite soon.

The most annoying part of this expansion is the "A formal request" event that forces you to either give up a non-core HRE province or lose stability. To prevent this, you have to use all your magistrates up to abandon HRE in those provinces.

The most annoying part of this expansion is the "A formal request" event that forces you to either give up a non-core HRE province or lose stability. To prevent this, you have to use all your magistrates up to abandon HRE in those provinces.

I'm extremely glad of this addition insofar as it frustrates conquerors. I do agree that it's annoying, but for the poor AI Emperor's sake!

The AI's unwillingness to release Unlawful Territory has literally destroyed the whole central European dynamic - Emperors rise and collapse practially every couple decades. This needs a fix badly, alongside the AI-Horde peace bug. :(