• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not crazy about DLC in general, but I liked this. Really enjoyed having another way to play Monsters, and it would be cool to get one for something similar for Humans and Undead as well eventually.

Only lame thing is that the koatl great mage guy doesn't seem to use the koatls units at all.

I'm a bit in two minds about the DLC. On the one hand, I really like the additional monsters, but I have the feeling they could have worked them out to be a whole separate race. Right now it only adds the choice of using a different type of caster/ranged/melee unit. The turtles are rather useful though.

What amaze me everytime is the love and detail the dev but into the artwork and unit models. The turtle pen looks as lovely as the turtle themselves. The warlocks are some scary looking bunch with their medusa like tentacles but my favorite is the monsters pumpkin shrine. I have to copy that design next Halloween.

You could customize your mage to have Koatls near your capital of the other race.
Yeah, but Koatls have strong early game units, and really good ranged damage, which monsters don't really have otherwise. Just seems like koatls were designed to compliment them. And you have to choose between having a strong early game and getting your trolls out ASAP, so I think it balances out pretty well too instead of just straight up making monsters more powerful.

Humans and undead need strong front line fighters more IMO, so I'd rather use minotaurs or dwarves with them instead of koatls.

Yeah, but Koatls have strong early game units, and really good ranged damage, which monsters don't really have otherwise. Just seems like koatls were designed to compliment them. And you have to choose between having a strong early game and getting your trolls out ASAP, so I think it balances out pretty well too instead of just straight up making monsters more powerful.

Humans and undead need strong front line fighters more IMO, so I'd rather use minotaurs or dwarves with them instead of koatls.

Humans have strongest mid-tier fighters (Veterans) and weakest mid-tier archers (Rangers). And they don't have any top-tier units without temples, so turtles come out quite handy as well.