• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear Sir;

Upon reading Your latest issue, the one thing that strikes me most is how shaky the foundations of our republic were at that time, dangling to and fro between reactionary authoritarianism and popular republicanism. An illustrative example of this fascinating dichotomy is that the woebegone Natives of southern USA were welcomed to settle in our nation all the while tens of thousands of slaves were still dreadfully abused and oppressed in Loisianais plantations.

Yours,
M. A. Back, Cdre (ret)

Dear Sir,

The Monarchial turn of the state of Louisiana is of great concern. As is the news that the Americans intend to send their Indian populations into the lands of the Republic.

Hopefully even with its new 'Emperor' Lousiana will be able to find the confidence to face down the Americans as the Viceroy did the British. Let us hope that this slave treaty can be cast aside once and for all!

Yours Tommy4ever

Dear Sir;

Vive l'Empereur! Vive Napoleon! I'm happy that the Bonapartes have, let's say, waited for their turn and didn't try to overtake power using the many Bonapartists present in Louisiane. I do think our new Empereur should have crowned himself 'The Emperor of the French in the New World'. A more fitting title.

It is no surprise to me that our Viceroy faced such political outrage at his person. If a man wants to be loved by the people, he must be an extremist. Either a die-hard reactionary or a democrat. Royalist or a republican. No great man has ever gained love of his people by balancing in the middle. The only good rule is a firm rule.

Yours,

Mr Gabriel Valjean

Dear Sir

Let us at least be thankful the our new Emperor has had time to learn from Viceroy Lafayette, whose service to the nation has been greatly appreciated.

I note that the British Parliament has followed its usual policy of withdrawing (expensive) garrisons wherever possible.

Yours faithfully

Mr A. Alfredian

PS I will now be going to the market to purchase my royal wedding memorabilia.

Dear Sir;

Unless I am mistaken, the article on the right of the page says that Sophie is "brother to King Ludwig". Is there something we should know about "Sophie"?

Yours,
Messr. E. F.

Dear Sir,

The Monarchial turn of the state of Louisiana is of great concern. As is the news that the Americans intend to send their Indian populations into the lands of the Republic.

Hopefully even with its new 'Emperor' Lousiana will be able to find the confidence to face down the Americans as the Viceroy did the British. Let us hope that this slave treaty can be cast aside once and for all!

Yours Tommy4ever

In fact, Napoleon always talked of an Imperial Republic, une République Impériale, when he was speaking of the politics of his Empire. As he was elected, we can consider this true! Ideogically, Napoleon should organise a plebicite about his coronation as Empereur.

lettersf.png

Dear Sir

This is an disgrace and a pure outrage!
Mssr. Lafayette is a true Louisianan hero and that he should be ousted out in this way is a spot on our national honour!
One can only hope that the new Emperor can prove himself to be more than the plaything of the reactionaries.

Respectfully
Mssr. Sometimes

P.S.
I do hope that our government can somehow reprimand the USA for their treatment of the natives. It is truly unworthy behaviour, driving these poor souls of to die, when it is our God given plight to teach these savages about civilization, and thus save them and their souls from their depravity.

Well, there is much space for new taxpayers in Louisiana, I'd say?

Yours, Enewald

Unfortunately it seems that the Indians don't always think of themselves as taxpayers. But we need all the manpower we can get!

Dear Sir,

Indeed! And I suppose President Jackson would lay this so called trail of tears and death right across our glorious country?

Louisiana isn't some...deportation highway!

Yours sputterlingly,

RGB.

It seems that President Jackson and most of his colleagues don't care where the Indians go, as long as they are out of the States. Rest assured that our government has voiced its opposition most vocally, on both practical and humanitarian grounds!

Dear sir

How DARE JACKSON DO THAT:mad:! Not only is he doing one of the most horible inhuman that ever hapened but he also tramping on the rites of forien nations. I say you teach those americans a lesson in how to treat your fellow man. Down with the evil US. I demand that those monsters pay the price for what they did IN BLOOD! As a part native American i ask, no demand you to teach those americans a lesson and reastalbish the native american tribes under your protection.

From

Derekc2

P.S. I like that the bonapartes are back in power:cool:. I say have Luisiania start a absalute monarchy in 1836 please.

An impassioned letter! The Republic is in no position for a war with the United States right now, despite the grave concerns its people have for the treatment of the indigenous population. At least in TTL, the tribes may find refuge from the unfair treatment of the Anglos.

YAY! VIVE L'EMPEREUR!

@Derekc2: read yourself before posting. And it is hard to think Napoleon II would have instated an absolute Monarchy. I think for the small we know of his opinions that he was more inspired by the "actes additionnels à la constitution de l'Empire" of 1815. Rediged by Benjamin Constant, a known republican ;) his empire would surely be more like the one of 1815 or the Second Empire of Napoleon III in 1870 before the Franco Prussian War.

In fact, Napoleon always talked of an Imperial Republic, une République Impériale, when he was speaking of the politics of his Empire. As he was elected, we can consider this true! Ideogically, Napoleon should organise a plebicite about his coronation as Empereur.

Very informative as always, thank you! It turns out that this is a similar to what will happen ITTL, although it's mostly driven by N2's poor health and the power of the Senate.

Dear Sir;

Unless I am mistaken, the article on the right of the page says that Sophie is "brother to King Ludwig". Is there something we should know about "Sophie"?

Yours,
Messr. E. F.

Well-spotted! The typographers and sub-editor will be greatly chastised for this misprint.

Wrong Ludwig

I'm not sure I understand you....

Dear Sir

Let us at least be thankful the our new Emperor has had time to learn from Viceroy Lafayette, whose service to the nation has been greatly appreciated.

I note that the British Parliament has followed its usual policy of withdrawing (expensive) garrisons wherever possible.

Yours faithfully

Mr A. Alfredian

PS I will now be going to the market to purchase my royal wedding memorabilia.

All the British needed was a way to retreat with dignity. M. Lafayette's reassurances gave them that.
Don't miss out on the official china!

Dear Sir;

Vive l'Empereur! Vive Napoleon! I'm happy that the Bonapartes have, let's say, waited for their turn and didn't try to overtake power using the many Bonapartists present in Louisiane. I do think our new Empereur should have crowned himself 'The Emperor of the French in the New World'. A more fitting title.

It is no surprise to me that our Viceroy faced such political outrage at his person. If a man wants to be loved by the people, he must be an extremist. Either a die-hard reactionary or a democrat. Royalist or a republican. No great man has ever gained love of his people by balancing in the middle. The only good rule is a firm rule.

Yours,

Mr Gabriel Valjean

Politics for centrists is always hard. Lafayette was hit from both the left and the right. Still, as an experience statesman, his period in charge of Louisiana helped steer it to true independence, no mean feat!

Dear Sir,

Yours Tommy4ever

I think you can rest assured that a monarchy on the model of Napoleon I will not be resurrected soon. Few men have his ambition, vision and skill.

The Americans are a real problem, being larger, stronger and closer than the British.

Dear Sir;

Upon reading Your latest issue, the one thing that strikes me most is how shaky the foundations of our republic were at that time, dangling to and fro between reactionary authoritarianism and popular republicanism. An illustrative example of this fascinating dichotomy is that the woebegone Natives of southern USA were welcomed to settle in our nation all the while tens of thousands of slaves were still dreadfully abused and oppressed in Loisianais plantations.

Yours,
M. A. Back, Cdre (ret)

That is certainly true. With little history of democracy, Louisiana is still finding its feet politically. One of the reasons 70% of the Senate is still appointed is the lack of experience candidates to elected office.

Racial theory never really made sense, so the differing treatments of natives and Africans is quite normal for the age. More on this below.

Special double issue coming up!!!​

18327top.jpg

18327bottom.jpg

democracyinamericatop.jpg

democracyinamericabotto.jpg

43cm is normal. 12 kilos is not. That should read 2.4kg! :p

Wow great ideas here! Giving asylum and help to amerindians is a great way to gain a moral advantage over the USA. They could be useful addition to the Republic! For the health of Napoleon II...May I suggest that it's widely believe the in OTL, he died of bad health because of idleness and depression, things that he should not be having in Louisiana. After all, his father had an incredible health until he went to Saint Helène. Napoleon II should not die as OTL!

A little mistake on the name of the Prince Impérial. It should be Maximilien, there is no maximile in french ;)

So, what about slaves and indians? Why not free the slaves and integrrate both race in the Republic...In the meritocracy of the Bonapartist ideal, maybe they could gain full citizenship after having serve in the Army or after having succeded in an education test after some years of school? They would be a great addition to the Bonapartist party in election later, due to the Empereur's good deeds for them!

Poor Empress, dilanting for 12.4 kilos... :eek:

:p

Dear Sir;

2.4 kg is a little over 5 pounds. A bit small for a baby, isn't it?

Mr. E. F.

P.S. I suppose the movement to force all letters to take this format has faded.

Why not free the slaves and integrrate both race in the Republic...In the meritocracy of the Bonapartist ideal, maybe they could gain full citizenship after having serve in the Army or after having succeded in an education test after some years of school?

Isn't it Bonaparte who (in both timelines) send troops in Haiti in 1802, disbanded Louverture's troops, who had been after all fighting for France against the British and Spanish, reaffirmed his commitment to slavery in 1803 and let Rochambeau loose on the island in a campaign of wanton destruction? The Bonapartist ideal seems to have been intended only for the whites of France.

Dear Sir

While I applaud the sentiment of M. De Tocqueville's opinion piece, I do not think the ordinary citizens of Lousiana will be easily persuaded to accept a complete end to slavery. It is one thing to offer charity to 'noble savages' a long way from yourself, but quite another to see your 'property' being treated as your equal before the law.

Can the Republic's treasury even afford to pay the compensation needed to slave owners?

Yours faithfully

Mr A. Alfredian

PS I particularly enjoyed the reference to Petite Roche, even more so as Roche is a surname within my family

PPS Following the recent weight controversy, the Emperor may wish to standardise weights and measures within the Republic

Isn't it Bonaparte who (in both timelines) send troops in Haiti in 1802, disbanded Louverture's troops, who had been after all fighting for France against the British and Spanish, reaffirmed his commitment to slavery in 1803 and let Rochambeau loose on the island in a campaign of wanton destruction? The Bonapartist ideal seems to have been intended only for the whites of France.

Again, it is a just statement...from our modern point of view. As a historian, I try to keep my opinion away from the past and look at the fact. When Napoleon took power, he wasn't an absolute ruler who could do whatever he liked. The american colonies were in total anarchy, everyone killing everyone. He reestablished slavery under the pressure of all the political class of the Republique, afraid of the endless violence. AND don't forget it was an condition made by the british for the Peace of Amien. When napoleon had a chance, he freed them. In 1815. Never forget, it was another time. Time and time again, he fighted against the institutions that made men and woman slaves or serf.