• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I usually build one or two transports at the start of the '43 scenario to be able to evacuate the DAK back to Sicily, strategically redeploy as many division from France to the east as I dare without compromising the defence of France too much and try to build a powerfull armored reserve in the east to counterattack the Russians (1. Panzerarmee would be a good nucleus, since you start the scenario with this army in a position where it already has to retreat to prevent it being encircled), and yet I've never been able to win when playing Germany in 1943....

It's quite a challenge, that's for sure! Best of luck.

Thanks dude, some good advice indeed :)
However it will be the Fuhrer who makes my decisions, and they are not always made with professional competence in mind :rofl:

Greater Germany, East Prussia, Rastenburg, Wolfschanze - February 1. 22.00​

*It is early 1943, the war in the east is entering its third year, the war that should only last two months has drained German manpower for a long time, and Hitler's final victory has proved to be quite illusive. In 1942 the Fuhrer launched operation blue, the goals were the oilfields in the Caucasus, however, the operation culminated around a city on the edge of the Volga, Stalingrad. The Russians first succeeded in stopping the Germans, then cutting them of, and now they are well underway to destroy the entire German 6th army, all in all 250 000 veteran troops. Hitler's masterstroke is about to turn into a nightmare.*

*In Hitler's HQ in East Prussia, there is a radio message coming in, the message is from the city of Stalingrad, the most eastern part of the third Reich. *

Radio operator: Sir, General Jodl! Come quick, there is word from the 6th army!

Jodl: Give it to me, I have to read that at once!

*General Jodl's face suddenly becomes as white as the grave, he has been anticipating these news for some time now, nevertheless he appears to be deeply shaken. Jodl is the chief of staff in the German army at this point, as he reads the message, he feels that his position is not that safe any longer.*

Radio operator: Whatever is the matter general, has the kessel shrunk further?

*Jodl voice is low as the words slip out of his mouth.*

Jodl: Paulus has surrendered to Ivan. Verdamt!

Radio operator: That can't be, it must be a Russian fake! I heard yesterday that Stalingrad is virtually ours!

Jodl: I can assure you that it is not a fake. I beg your pardon Fritz, I have to talk to the Fuhrer, keep quiet about this or I can assure you that the Gestapo will come knocking.

Fritz: Of course sir...

*Jodl rushes trough the corridors of Hitler's wolfs lair, within a minute he is outside Hitler's private study, he can hear the Fuhrer inside, talking to his dog. He finally mans up to the task and knocks carefully on the door. The Fuhrers voice is heard from the inside.*

Hitler: herein.

*When he enters Hitler is sitting on the floor, trying to teach Blondie some new tricks, he hardly notices Jodl, and it takes about a minute before he finally looks up, and their eyes meet.*

Hitler: Ahh Jodl... What can I help you with?

Jodl: Mein Fuhrer, we just received a message from...

*Before Jodl is able to finish, Hitler interrupts him.*

Hitler: Did you know that dogs are just as intelligent as most people, take my Blondie for instance, she is far more intelligent than Churchill! My Blondie knows when she has lost an argument.

Jodl: That is very interesting mein Fuhrer, and so true. About the 6th army...

Hitler: News from Paulus?

Jodl: Yes mein Fuhrer, he has...

Hitler: I know what you are going to say, he has died an honorable death, I had planned this Jodl. I knew that when I promoted him to field marshal he would not surrender, he would shot himself, and die with honor, no German field marshal has ever been taken prisoner!

Jodl: Well sir... He is not dead, at least not yet...

Hitler: Ahhh, so he is continuing to fight, excellent!

Jodl: No sir, he has...

Hitler: He has what, broken out of the kessel, acheived victory, out with it?!

Jodl: I am sorry to be the bearer of such news, he has surrendered his remaining 91 000 men to the Soviets, some of our soldiers are still fighting, about 8000 of them. The most of our men are now in captivity, Paulus is only one of them...

(Field marshal Paulus in captivity)​

*Hitler says nothing for a long time, he is silent... Suddenly he bursts into rage.*

Hitler: He was supposed to fight on and die! Verdammtes Schwein! He is a shame for our entire nation! When the war is won and he is found then he is to be shot on the spot! I want him dead! This is a prestigious defeat of astronomical proportions, and the whole world will know!!

Jodl: Sir, right now there are pressure on the entire eastern front, the soviets are pushing forward on all fronts, and a huge reserve of our best men are now lost, should I arrange for a meeting with the other generals?

Hitler: Yes, you do that. It is clear that they need my guidance, it is clear that without it they will not manage anything.

*Jodl bows as he walks out, although the Fuhrer was angry he did not take it out on Jodl, which has given the grieving general some comfort. Hitler is clearly shaken, when Jodl walks a shiver runs down the Fuhrers back, the Soviets had just finished the best German army in the field, Hitler tastes the wars first real defeat with obvious discomfort, in the future there would be many more. The Fuhrers was had just begun...*

(a hardy veteran who is now in captivity.)​

Last edited:
So it begins...

Greater Germany, East Prussia, Rastenburg, Wolfschanze, 1943 February 5. - 10.00

*The night before, Hitler got an uncomfortable shock when he learned about the surrender of Field marshal Paulus in Stalingrad. Jodl has therefore assembled Germanys top people for an exclusive conference, there can be no delays when the future of the Reich is at stake. Hitler arrives at the room before anyone else, he walks back and forth looking at a map of the eastern front, pondering his next move. The strange situation is interrupted by the opening of the door which leads out to the main corridor. Hitler observes each of the officials walking in, almost as if he suspects each one of treachery, they all find their seats around the table and thus the meeting can start.*

(The military situation in February)​

Hitler: Meine herren, yesterday I was informed about something terrible, I am not sure whether you have heard yet, but Paulus has surrendered to the Soviets. He has dishonored all of our brave soldiers, and our entire nation, the Schwein has also stabbed me in the back!

Göring: That pig has brought us the greatest crisis in our entire history! What do you require from us Mein Fuhrer?

Hitler: I require complete dedication from you all! We have to work hard to fix the trouble which Paulus has brought us!

Von Manstein: Mein Fuhrer, the Armeegruppe Don has been hit hardly by this, about half of my remaining troops are Romanian, Hungarian and Italian, and the Germans under my command are tired and under constant attack. Even though we have been hit hard by this disaster I think that we can rectify this. We should make a switch towards the defensive, the Russians have lost many troops during their winter offensive, and though they have won a victory it is far from complete.

Hitler: I like what you are saying Manstein, however, we will not move over to the defensive, the initiative must be kept. I have taken a look at our situation in the east, and a general offensive must be made to relieve the Kuban bridgehead, Von Kleist is heavily assailed there, we need to assist him by attacking the Soviets in this area. The Hungarian, Italian and German corps trapped behind the Soviet lines in the Don area must be saved! Manstein, you are to attack as soon as possible!

Von Manstein: Mein Fuhrer, you don't seem to understand, we have only about 10 reserve divisions, if they are committed at this moment then the Soviets can wait us out and strike when we have committed all of our men. Most of our reserves are Panzer divisions, our industries can't replace the tanks quick enough, and even though the new Panzer IV H's are better than the T34's we are still at a disadvantage.

(The eastern front, the areas marked are the most exposed)​

*The Fuhrer is silent for a long time, he suddenly changes his manner, and rages at everyone in the room for one reason or another, he repeatedly screams at Von Manstein and slams his fist on the table.*

Hitler: I did not ask you whether you judge an attack to be the best way forward, I order you to attack the Soviets, I want them out of the Kuban area! You Von Manstein are responsible for pushing trough to Von Kleist and the other trapped armies, and that is final!!

Von Manstein: Very well Mein Fuhrer...

Hitler: Von Bock, you are to attack in Tunisia, we need to drive the tommies back! Rommel is to follow my direct attack order from now on, I have devised a clever plan to snatch territory back from the allies! Take a look here:

(Hitler's planned attack in Tunisia)
Hitler: I want you to move the Italians a bit back, we can hold them at the old French border defenses, meanwhile, gather the best troops, and stop the allied push at the northern coast, and then counterattack.

Von Bock: Mein Fuhrer, the terrain in the area is not good for our troops, we still have a chance to fall back to Europe with the troops in Tunisia, this would give us a lot of French divisions for the next summer offensive in the east.

Hitler: You are all disloyal commanders! Mein gott! I want you to attack as I order, ich bin der Fuhrer!

Von Bock: I will not stand for this! You do not have the professional competence to decide military operations! If you do not release your grip on our operational freedom then I am quitting my job!

*Hitler flips out, yelling by the top of his lungs, and Von Bock takes his leave. He finally calms down and lowers his voice.*

Hitler: I want Von Bock replaced, give his job to Kesselring. Anyone else who has doubts about my military ventures?

*The generals instinctively answer "Nein Mein Fuhrer", they look like a dog which has just been whipped by its master.*

Hitler: Very well then, does anyone have some statistics showing the military strength of the axis alliance at the moment?

Jodl: Of course Mein Fuhrer, the most important nations are Japan, Italy and ourselves of course.

(Number of Axis troops, ships and planes in 1943)​

Hitler: It seems like we can still call up a lot of men! I want to see the state of our production and technology respectively.

Jodl: I have been told by our civil ministers that we are currently developing these technologies Mein Fuhrer:

• Militia support weapons
• Infantry small arms
• Infantry support weapons
• Night fighting equipment
• Mountain warfare equipment
• Arctic warfare equipment
• Heavy tank gun
• Heavy tank engine
• Submarine hull
• Submarine torpedoes
• Light bomb
• Medium bomb
• Single engine aircraft airframe
• Single engine aircraft armament
• Small air search radar
• Agriculture
• Civil nuclear research
• supply organization
• Superior firepower doctrine
• Combined arms warfare doctrine
• Delay doctrine
• Mass assault doctrine

(The Reich's state of knowledge)
Hitler: Well this all looks good, I am looking forward to our new Tigers and Panthers hitting the field! The Soviets won't stand a chance against us!

Göring: They never did Mein Fuhrer, they have just been lucky until now!

Hitler: What is the state of our production, how is it dispersed at the moment?

Jodl: Take a look here Mein Fuhrer:

(Production the Reich)​

Hitler: I think our factories can produce more, I want two changes to be made! Our armaments minister will be fired, his place will be taken by Albert Speer, and General Guderian will be called back from retirement, he will become inspector general of the armored troops. His job will be to get as many tanks to the front as possible. Any questions meine herren?

Everyone except Hitler: Nein Mein Fuhrer.

Hitler: Then I just have a few comments before we can end this. Göring, our industries will provide you with more interceptors, the allied bombing must be stopped once and for all, the Luftwaffe must also step up and provide better cover to our troops in the east, south and west respectively. Jodl I also want you to speak to Admiral Reader, he is to increase attempts against the British convoys, the sinking's must be doubled before summer!

Göring: There won't be any aircraft in our skies from now on Mein Fuhrer!

Jodl: I will tell Reader to increase his efforts Mein Fuhrer.

Hitler: Then get to your tasks, there are plenty of work to be done, send reports whenever something important happens, Keitel and Jodl will keep me informed.

*Everyone takes their leave, the war has taken a turn for the worse during this last winter, and with the Fuhrers meddling it is about to get worse...*

I can't wait to see the results of Hitlers mad gambles. Hopefully they will not be too disastrous.

I can't wait to see the results of Hitlers mad gambles. Hopefully they will not be too disastrous.

Especially when the future of the Reich is at stake x'D

The first week

Greater Germany, East Prussia, Rastenburg, Wolfschanze, 1943 February 6. - 22.00

*Little over a day has passed since the last meeting held by Hitler, however, he has not heard detailed reports from the various fronts in a week now. It is for that reason that Alfred Jodl, chief of the German staff is walking towards Hitler's office at this late hour. He has just received news from all the various army group commanders, and it is time to bring these on to the Fuhrer. Jodl seems happy as he moves through the corridors, he has read the reports already, and he thinks that the Fuhrer will be pleased with the news from the front, that is at least what he hopes for. Finally arriving at Hitler's office he knocks on the door. There is a long silence, finally a voice is heard from within: "Herrein!". Hearing this, Jodl enters the office.*

Jodl: Mein Fuhrer, there are words from the various fronts, do you want me to tell you the details?

Hitler: Well, I don't like reading at this late hour, so please do.

Jodl: I will start on the northern part of the Russian front, and move southwards, if that is all right with you Mein Fuhrer?

Hitler: Very well, I hope there are some good news...

*Jodl has already started to sweat, it soon gets a lot worse, however, he pulls himself together, and starts with the Leningrad area.*

leningrad1.jpg

Jodl: The Russians seems desperate to break through to Leningrad, they have mounted attacks at our troops in Morozova, however, general Hilpert has held two attacks during the last 6 days, and the losses were 45 of our men for 55 dead Russians. The second battle was bloodier, we lost 342 men for 347 Russians. The Russians have not succeeded in breaking our lines at this point, and the siege remains complete. The Russians have also attacked our troops in Tosno, here general Von Leyser has held one attack, and the second one is still underway. When the first battle for the area was over his troops counted 687 dead Russians in front of their trenches, however, we lost 564 brave men. The biggest problem in the north has been repeated bombing runs, they have killed and wounded dozens of our troops, the Russians have also launched several logistical strikes.

mg34002.jpg

(Von Leyser's men defending Tosno.)​

Hitler: Good, keep up the siege around Leningrad! Have the Luftwaffe been in the area at all?

Jodl: Yes, but the main Soviet offensives have been aimed in the center and south, therefore most of our airpower has been there as well.

Hitler: Naturally, it will be easier when the new aircraft start rolling off the production lines.

Jodl: Indeed, further south the Russians are trying even harder, they have assembled huge forces, take a look Mein Fuhrer:

north1.jpg

Jodl: It all started when the Russians attacked our men in Nasva, the province was held by Luftwaffe ground troops, and a few regular infantry units, all in all about 28 000 men, the Russians massed over 80 000 men against us, however the men fought bravely under general Peschel, and they finally stopped the Russian attack, the cost was very high, 584 of our men fell, and the Russians lost only 51. After this we decided to attack the Russians in Toropec, which we could then use as a springboard, general Brandenberger lead the assault, he had very experienced troops, and they included a panzer division, the Russians gave up the province within hours leaving behind246 dead men, our losses were 135 men. With this success we launched an attack against the Russians in Ploskos, our attack was lead by the ambitious general Arndt, his men surprised the Russians, and succeeded in taking many positions, however, the operation soon stalemated, we had to call of the attacks a few days later, our troops were low on supplies after days of fighting. The attacks cost us 1049 men, the Russians lost 785 of their men.

winterwarfare01.jpg
(Peschel's men are defending Nasva with pure fanaticism.)​

Hitler: Was! There are to be no retreat! I want Arndt to try again within the week, got it?

Jodl: Jawohl Mein Fuhrer! We launched a last attack in the region, Our troops moved forward under the leadership of general Panwitz, they moved into the Russian held province of Andreapol. The attack is proceeding well for us, and we expect a victory within a few days. Lastly there are bad news... The Russians decided to increase their efforts against general Peschel in Nasva, they have launched another attack, and this one looks as though it might succeed.

Hitler: Tell Peschel to hold at all costs! We must not show any sign of weakness. Send reinforcements if there are any available, if not attack the Russians areas around Nasva, einverstanden?

Jodl: Jawohl, your orders will be carried out!

Hitler: Güt, güt, güt... Proceed if you please.

southcenter1.jpg

Jodl: In the southern part of the central sector there has been much fighting, the week started with a Russian attack in Kirov, General Schaal managed the defense, and his men held out during furious enemy attacks, his men are still low on supplies, and during the attack many of his men were forced to use their bayonets, and even spades! The victory had a price of 509 men, the Russians lost 380 before the attack ended. When this was underway we launched a few spoiling attacks, the first one was in Dja'Kovo, here Von Esebeck H.K. led his men forward, the casualties were few, the Russians withdrew almost at the very start of the attack. The next attack was launched against the Russian held province of Sukhinichi, our attack was planned and executed by general Schlieper, his men tried to take the province by storm, they were close to success when the Russians attacked our men stationed in Mosalsk, that led to the attack being canceled, our losses were 792 to 529 Russian dead. The battle of Mosalsk is still underway, our men get their guidance from general Müller, the defense is strong, but under heavy attacks.

germanarmyrussiasovietu.jpg

(Müller is moving up troops and artillery for his defense of Mosalsk.)​

Hitler: Send more troops to the area!

Jodl: They are already dispatched Mein Fuhrer.

Hitler: Good!

Jodl: We have also launched an attack against Ljubohna, our attack is coordinated by the Hungarian general Lakatos, the attack is proceeding quite well and support has been sent from Djat'Kovo. The final event is the Russian attack against our men in Belye Beregna, the Russians are ready to take huge losses to succeed in this area, general Lössner is doing his utmost so that this will not succeed.

Hitler: Güt, I want a major offensive as quickly as possible! Continue Jodl.

Jodl: The southern sector has been difficult, take a look:

centersouth1.jpg

Jodl: In the northern part of this sector the Russians launched a massive attack against general Hahm, the general commanded one of the weakest provinces along the entire frontline, and yesterday he was driven from the area, he left behind 1773 men, the Russians lost 507 men during their ferocious assaults. Before this loss occurred we launched a spoiling attack against the Russians in Kolpny, this attack is still proceeding and our men can look to general Petzel for inspiration.
Further south the Russians attacked our men in the area of Novy Oskol, they achieved some early successes, but our men were reinforced by the reserves , those reserves are now getting ready for an attack against the Russians who have trapped a lot of German troops behind their lines. Our defense in Novy Oskol was costly, we lost 480 men, the Russians lost 234 before they finally withdrew. As you know there are three pockets behind the Soviet lines, the most northern contains German troops, the central contains Hungarians, and the southern is made up of Italian troops. The Hungarians are under heavy attack in Ostrogezsk, and my officers have told me that general Cramer who is leading the defense will surrender tomorrow, however, before we learned about this, we launched a rescue effort towards Ostrogezsk. Our men assaulted the Russians in Pakrowskoje, the attack is proceeding well, this due to our veteran troops, and the fact that they are well lead, general Raus is responsible, and he is known to be absolutely ruthless. The Soviets have also reduced the Italians in Volokonovka, the Italians have held on for the last week, but they are fighting a losing battle, their men have been rallied by Marshal Gariboldi, he is old, and has failed to adapt to the new tactics, his men is paying the price. We tested the Russian troops holding the area between Volokonovka and our lines, they could not be dislodged. The Italians can't be rescued.

gundance.jpg

(Italian troops trying to move a frozen artillery piece.)​

*The Fuhrer shakes when hearing these news, he is clearly not happy.*

Hitler: Nein! This is not good! We must get through to our divisions in the north before a similar situation develops. Tell Manstein to hurry his attacks!

Jodl: Of course Mein Fuhrer.

Hitler: Has Manstein started his attacks in the Kuban area?

Jodl: Yes Mein Fuhrer, they are proceeding well, take a look here:

kuban1.jpg

Jodl: Von Manstein has done as you commanded Mein Fuhrer, he has launched attacks against the Soviets in the Kuban area. In the northern part of this sector he sent some of his best men towards the Russians in Batajsk, the Russians have only a few troops defending the area, and our attack is made by an experienced panzer division, and the division is commanded by general Hasso Von Manteuffel, he is a most excellent panzer officer, and I trust in his success! In the Kuban pocket the Soviets attacked our men in Timasevski, this area was held mostly by Romanian troops and, the defense collapsed within days. We lost 2051 men, the Russians lost only 473. Von Kleist has launched an attack to recover the province, and the attack led by general Wavlimont is proceeding quite well. If we can manage to win at Timasevski and Batajsk, then the Russians near the sea of Azov will be encircled, we have intelligence which says that there are 8 Russian divisions in that area.

1942easternfront02.jpg

(Von Manteuffel's panzer's during their advance towards Batajsk.)​

Hitler: Very good, this is what I like to hear! Continue please.

Jodl: The Soviets have launched an ill coordinated attack against general Fromm's men in Slavjansk-Na-Kubani, this attack is doomed, and Von Kleist suspects it to be a diversion.

Hitler: He better be ready for something bigger, however, if Von Manteuffel succeeds in taking Batajsk then that will take a lot of pressure off Kleist.

Jodl: The final report is from Tunisia, there have been major developments here Mein Fuhrer:
tunisia2.jpg

Jodl: Rommel has started to withdraw his Italian troops in the south, they originally held the province of Rass Ajdir, however, when the British troops launched an attack against general Beraudo di Palermo he emideietly withdrew from the area, his men continued their retreat back towards the Tunisian border, and they have now been attacked in the province of Horumt Souk, they are holding this area at the moment, because not all of the Italian troops have managed to retreat quickly enough. The Italians in Horumt Souk are ragged and they are fighting against a British armored division, their defense under general Tricoli can't hold for long, hopefully they can fight on until the retreating troops have reached the area. The Italians are heading for Gabes, here they can hold the allies with greater hopes of success, the old French bunkers which makes up the Mareth line will come to good use. It is quite ironci that the bunkers were built to defend against any Italian attack made into Tunisia, now they will be housing Italian defenders!

italiantroopsabyssiniai.jpg

(Italian troops defending a delaying position in Horumt Souk.)​

*The Fuhrer laughs a bit, before he returns to his usual serious state.*

Hitler: I am impressed with the retreat, the Italians must hold at Gabes!

Jodl: I am quite sure that they will Mein Fuhrer! Further north we have started our attack against the French and British, our best troops attacked the enemy in Kassarine, our attack was led by general Crasemann, we lost 192 men, the French lost 514 before they withdrew from the area, leaving Kassarine in our hands. After resting for a few hours Rommel launched his men forward in a new attack, our men attacked the French in Tébessa, our men could rely on the skills of general Von Broich, and with our veteran troops moving forward with determination it did not take long before the French realized they were fighting a losing battle. They withdrew late last night leaving behind 711 dead, our losses were 107 men. Rommel is now preparing to push his men onwards, his final goal is the allied supply depot at Algiers.

Hitler: Outstanding effort in the Desert! Rommel is showing the French the meaning of blitzkrieg once again.

Jodl: The allies have, however, achieved one success in the area. They launched an attack against our men in Mateur, our men were outnumbered three to one, and the enemy could call on an entire armored division. General Rumohr fought on for a long time, but he finally had to give in to the British, he left behind 797 men, the enemy lost 208 men. Rommel has told me that the allies have not tried to move further in the north, and he has moved in one of his reserve divisions to assist Rumohr in any future attack.

Hitler: I hope Rommel is planning to push the allies out of Mateur again, was that all you had for me today Jodl?

Jodl: I have heard from Reader that our navy has lost 5 convoy transports and one escort, he has taken measures, and hopefully it will not repeat itself.

Hitler: Very well, and our sinking's?

Jodl: Our U-boats have undergone repairs, so no sinking's have been acheived, they are heading back to sea now, and we will hopefully hear about allied losses in the near future.

Hitler: I hope that for Reader's sake! How has the Luftwaffe performed?

Jodl: We have intercepted allied bombers in Holland, and Soviet aircraft have been kept partially in check, they have killed quite a lot of our men with tactical airstrikes, but there is little we can do about it at the moment. The Luftwaffe has struck back in the same way though, and the Russians are losing just as many, if not more men to the aerial bombardment.

b244vi.jpg

(A B-24 brought down by German fighters.)​

Hitler: Good, I never doubted Görings Luftwaffe!

Jodl: That was it Mein Fuhrer, anything else which I can do for you?

Hitler: No, I think I will go to sleep now, get back to your work, and give me news when there is something worth hearing.

Jodl: Yes Mein Fuhrer, heil.

*With this Jodl takes his leave, he seems to be delighted since Hitler has not yelled to much at him today.*

Last edited:
Very nice update.

If you upgrade to the newest patch chances are those hollow coloured battlecounters will be filled again with the precentages the battles are faring at, just as they are supposed to be. Read somewhere in another AAR the writer experienced the same problem and installing the latest patch solved the problem for him.

Very nice update.

If you upgrade to the newest patch chances are those hollow coloured battlecounters will be filled again with the precentages the battles are faring at, just as they are supposed to be. Read somewhere in another AAR the writer experienced the same problem and installing the latest patch solved the problem for him.

Thanks :) I have the game on steam, so it is supposed to autoupdate, maybe there is something wrong :(