• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDNIGHT

Second Lieutenant
5 Badges
Sep 14, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Never mind the title, although it is a valid question that can likely only be answered after much analysis.

Some friends and I are running a MP game starting on Saturday Feb 11th. I am going to be writing an AAR from the German perspective, but there will also be a good amount of additions coming from the Italian player (Hall) as well as the Japanese player (Skovbjerg).

Version: FtM (3.05) UBYY
Start date: 1936

United Kingdom: Sachaztan & Le Pix
Germany: JDNight & Rorarii
Italy: Hall
Japan: Skovbjerg
USSR: Pirro de epiro
France: Dhostar
USA: Glenn
Sweden: LinusNeuman
Canada: Allexiel
Nat Spain: Eyvindur
Romania: Red_Ivan (Firefox)
Sweden: LinusNeuman
Canada: snoddas97
Venezuela: Wallienator
Australia: peterhoi3
All others: not available
Co-ops: not available

Rules
- Major Nations must play historically until 1939 Danzig Event. Minor nations may declare war ONCE before this. It is advisable to discuss these minor wars with nearby major powers first.

- War Goals for minors should be agreed with faction leader first.

- Players are expected to trade openly with others prior to war as long as they can still maintain a healthy surplus in any trade resource.

- Austria is not a playable country, for game balance reasons.

-When Japan wants to declare war on a Major power except Soviet Union, they need to attack USA too. USA can't join Allies or declare war on a country before 1942.

- No Guarantees of Independance, unless by event.

- NAPS are negotiated by Germany and USSR on behalf of their faction members (and future members). Any secret contents of a NAP will be contained in a PM between faction leaders. Any non faction nation not covered in the NAP's secret agreement cannot be DOW without breaking the NAP. If a NAP is broken the other-side can withdraw from the NAP.

- Do not disband units that hopelessly surrounded or otherwise cannot retreat to safety as a means of preserving MP.

- Play to best serve your country, not your faction.

- Don't kill retreating units by Paradrops and don't try to make a country surrender with only paradrops to VPs

- No passive wars just to gain policy bonuses.

- No excessive logistical bombing in and around capital cities.

- Coups are banned.

Games are typically on Saturdays, but we will play occasionally on Sundays. Also, for now we are still looking for anyone who wishes to play any of the spots that are available. For those wishing to join, see this page.

The only thing we ask is that you have at least *some* sense of humor and are not offended when various countries shout out propaganda in the middle of the game!

This game is over. We will be starting a new one after the release of Finest Hour.

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting AAR! I'd love to participate in the game, but I simply don't have the time right now.

Hi, guys.
Looks very interesting. Can I join your game as US?´May be I ´ll have some little problem. I´m located in middle europe (czech republic). So I need to know at what time are you going to play. Thanks for answer
mowen

I'd definitely like to get into this, though I have to ask if there will be voice-chat? It's fine if there isn't, I just prefer not to type to communicate in a game like this :p

Anyway, I would possibly like Co-Oping with the UK but I doubt I would be much utility... so I'll take México if that's okay.

Also I can mostly make Saturdays and Sundays, I live on West Coast USA so I should be able to make it (99% of the time). However occasionally I may have to join late (like you guys may start a few minutes before I join)

Last edited:
Le Pix, There is a link at the bottom of the original post that directs you to a sign up page. (Here is the link again)We are currently accepting new players. I know us Axis people will be using Team Speak, but I believe the UK player (Sachaztan) uses voice as well. You'll have to ask him though. Co-opping is a great way to learn a LOT and not be directly responsible for everything. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the nudge there Walienator.

Well, our first session only went through August of 36. And because I do not want to expose my strategy to my opponents too early, I think I will wait until after the next session (this Saturday) to write the first chapter.

I was hoping we'd cover more ground last Saturday, but this coming session promises to be longer.

Sorry for the delay, but things should start rolling here after this weekend.

-JD

Chapter # 1 : 1936

Chapter #1: Jan 1936 to Aug 1936

Human Players: *UK, USSR, *USA, *Germany, Italy, Japan, France, Romania, Canada, Venezuela, Sweden, Finland, Nat Spain * = co-op

Foreword: This is my first AAR. This is also my first time playing a MP game where I am a faction leader. This is also my first time being a co-organizer of an event. That said, I expect this will be great game.

In the beginning of 1936 new leaders have taken control of many of the countries of the world. Although many countries are continuing in their original directions, some have decided to take a 'different' course. Sweden stated its ambition to join with the UK, and a new leader in Spain claimed that he would lead a revolution and join his country with Germany.

Europe2.jpg

For me (Germany), these changes presented many opportunities and complications. If Sweden were to go Allies, then they could conceivably aid Great Britain in the defense of Denmark. This would leave the Baltic open and threaten me from the North. And if Spain were to join our cause, then they could provide pressure on the French from the South, and perhaps aid in the capture of Gibraltar.

In response to these 'rumors', my first moves were to install new ministers, followed by setting up an Intel campaign to get the Austrians over to the 'right' side.

Ministerscropped.jpg

AustriaIntelCrop1.jpg

With our situation ever changing, I had decided that Germany would need a strong Kreigsmarine, as well as a strong airforce. To that end a new Battle Cruiser and some aircraft were put into production.

EarlyProdQueueCropped.jpg

In the early part of 1936 the Italians were waging a campaign against the Ethiopians in an effort to... ummm, I really could not figure out what they were trying to prove there. Anyway, they did win! Italy (Hall) decided to puppet the nation. A good move since it yielded little strategic or resource power and could end up being a liability.

Ethiopiacropped.jpg

The new Fascist leader in Spain (Eyvindur) publicly declared his ambitions in May of 1936. Immediately the country was gripped by Civil War!

SpainRevolution1stJune36cropped.jpg

The Spanish Revolution on August 27th:

SpainRevolutionAug27thcropped.jpg

So this concludes our first session. The second session, which we just played two days ago was much longer. I will post for that one after the game this coming weekend. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter #2: War! Spain vs Portugul

Chapter #2: Aug 1936 to Sept 1937

Human Players: *UK, USSR, *USA, *Germany, Italy, Japan, Romania, Canada, France, Venezuela, Australia, Finland, Nat Spain * = co-op

The remainder of 1936 went relatively uneventful. Trade was often disrupted by 'unruly' politicians, but otherwise things went along smoothly. The size of the Wehrmacht had increased greatly, and more submarines were put on order.

In the Spring on 1937 Nationalist Spain officially asked to join the Axis. Of course, we accepted!

Later in May of that year, Nationalist Spain's first move was to declare war on the Portuguese.

SpainPort1stcropped.jpg

However, conquering Portugal proved to be more difficult than was expected. The Portuguese had many outlying colonies.

Spain-PortAfrica.jpg

Portugal was finally defeated in the early fall of 1937.

SpainPostPortugulcropped.jpg

This was a great conquest for the Axis. We were able to secure many ports and other resources through this action. Congrats to Spain (Eyvindur)!!!

Sorry for the short post everyone. I should be able to post another in the next few days. Next post: Romania-Hungary war & other events.

Last edited:
Did you agree on a rule that forbids Nationalist Spain and Italy to join the war until Paris has fallen? If not I'd hate to play France right now...

It took like ages for the spanish to get those colonies >.>, I kind of considered it a passive war, because 3/4 of the time nothing was happening >.>.

Well, I think that Eyvindur was not fully aware of the fact that Portugal would not fall after taking Lisbon. I do not think he was ready for an 'extended' campaign. Although I could be wrong.

Did you agree on a rule that forbids Nationalist Spain and Italy to join the war until Paris has fallen? If not I'd hate to play France right now...

We did not make a rule against this, and yes France is certainly feeling a bit uncomfortable. That said, the human player/players that have played France have set it up well, I think. They are/will be working with the British of course. I wouldn't rule out the French just yet. By the way, a list of our rules are in the OP if you want to take a look.

Chapter #3: Romania-Hungary and other Axis moves..

Chapter #3: Aug 1937 to Feb 1938

Human Players: *UK, USSR, *USA, *Germany, Italy, Japan, Romania, Canada, France, Venezuela, Australia, Finland, Nat Spain * = co-op

During August of 1937 Austria finally came to its senses and joined us. This provided Germany with some helpful IC as well as resources. I was surprised that the allies let us have it without much fight.

PostAnschlusscropped.jpg

In early September, the Romanians declared war on Hungary. This would help them to expand their holdings. Also, we firmly believed that the Romanian General (Firefox) would be better able to utilize Hungary's resources than its current leader... Artificialos Intelligencie.

Romanian-Hungarian War on September 16th:

RomaniaatWar1cropped.jpg

The same war on October 5th:

RomaniaatWar2cropped.jpg

The Hungarians fought the attackers well. However, the Romanians utilized a very methodical strategy which left the defenders no room for victory. Later in the fall of 1937 the Hungarians were defeated. A well fought victory for General Firefox!

On January 6th, 1938 a great ship was finally completed. The Scharnhorst would be the first Battle Cruiser to enter service for the Kriegsmarine. And there was much rejoicing!

ScharnhorstEdit.jpg

This would help to lend us some flexibility in our strategic movements in the future. It is always best to keep your options open.

April 12th of 1938 we finally convinced the Czechs of the futility of resisting us. The treaty of Munich finally brought about the change all good Germans were looking for. After all, wasn't it mostly German people that lived in Czechoslovakia anyway?

TreatyofMunichcropped.jpg

Here are a few screen shots to give you all an idea of the current situation. I post these mostly because there was an occasional event that I missed as it occurred.

Map in Feb of 1938:

MapFeb1938cropped.jpg

Axis in Sept of 1937:

Axis-RomaniaatWarStartSept37cropped.jpg

Allies in Feb of 1938:

AlliesFeb38cropped.jpg

As you can see, things are proceeding well for the Axis. The Swedish situation still bothers me greatly. But having a strong Romania, as well as Nationalist Spain will greatly add to our strength and strategic position.

Finland has expressed its interest in joining the Axis. It is our intent to include them in the axis as soon as is workable. Perhaps they can help with the Sweden problem?

Also, you can see that Venezuela joined the allies. I still don't see how that affects me. However, what a strange move for them. The Axis is much more interesting.

Last edited:
If you do include Finland in the Axis, isn't it possible that will drag you into the Winter War?

Status
Not open for further replies.