• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was wondering how can i DOW without problem? I don't have a cb! I could if I pick up quest for the new world! (colonial conquest cb) but with a diplo 7 leader i stand little chance of a border dispute! lol...

Have I missed something?

Last edited:
You'll get a better leader eventually. This one may yet surprise you. Good event that. Just what you needed. Are there any Iroquois Patriots to fund in Tennessee?
Portugal can still gain access to its provinces via Mobile.
Taking Lma was an interesting move. You can still get the Incas into war by insulting them or banning them from your CoTs. of course with you next to them, they can westernize. You could always sell Lima back to them. Then they'll ban you from their CoT and you'll have a CB and need fewer wars to drain them of money.

Admin Republic -good idea. Giving up a diplomat for a Colonial Governor is something you could do to increase the number of colonists. If you can't flip those colonies taken from the irish, don't waste a colonist

I'm not sure you will get call to arms , even if they are your vassal ... :D

edit : you wouldn't gain a CB from QFANW , but you would gain one from the bill of rights , as they can release Chimu ...

Peace... Raiding the piggy bank and threats to the gold!

I move to an Administrative Republic, the extra trade income is awesome! My first Doge is ok:

16630102leader.jpg

I also have a slider move and I want to go further centralised, but with stability already low I don't want the stab hit result! I'll wait till next time, I moved the slider back to full free trade.

Just after this the inhabitants of Beothuk realise there is no going back and finally cave in to the seductive teachings of Shamanism! Let the spirits sing!

16630115.jpg

Life continues, the colonies slowly complete one at a time, I have to pause colonial growth while waiting for colonists, but this is no problem. As i'm already overextended I don't desire picking up more provenices untill I get some cores. Overextestion is something I can live with though. I think the benefits of centralisation outwiegh the 3.00 revolt risk. the +50% stab cost is very annoying though, and makes temples look tempting after I've completed the workshops and marketplaces.

Some people asked me about my Naval Tech, I am in fact behind. Portugal, Spain and Ireland I'm behind by 1 or 2 levels, but Burgundy, Austria and some other are up to level 29! (I guess Burgundy is still in the HRE!) I'm going to focus on catching up if i can. The sea is my first line of defence at the moment.

This event will help!

16640826.jpg

The Incan truce is up and it's a very short fight, to be honest I did them a favour, wiping out 3-4 regiment strong revolt they have been fighting since our last war. My forces easily move out of Lima (this is one reason I took it as a staging area otherwise i would find it difficult to project power into Inca, last time i got there by marching through Irish lands)

16651011.jpg

1600 this time! Woot, I complete my workshops and have made a good start on the markectplaces! I'm currently using magistrates to build roads. Does this seem a good idea? I'm over halfway to completing the roads lol. I make a serious error here and forget to guareentee them! Scandinavia declare war!! However they are not managing to project any power into Inca yet! I hope that they fail to do so, just like GB did.

Election time and I plump for a diplo candidate!

16670106.jpg

WooT!!! This guy will fix my over extention when I get a few more cores!
the next four years are full of completing colonies, building their forts and workshops etc. I bring my fleet up to my support limit of 51, 12 transports 9 light ships and the rest galleons. I also start to build some land forces as I'm at 81 regiments on a limit of 125ish... The AI will think me weak, but military maintance is so expensive!

Next election time I can't keep wounder guy! BOO! I go for a diplomat again, wanting border disputes etc and get this chump:

16680811.jpg

And shortly after I get my Spainish cores:

16681106.jpg

Sadly this is not enough to drop the overextension!

Some of you wondered why I took Lima, well as I said partly as somewhere to rest my troops between and also to get access to the centre of trade. The Cot is now worth around 700 ducats and I have a full monopoly, no other's are there, netting me about 650 a year. The same goes with Mohawk (which I did not split as I can't build a coastal cot without moving my national focus) this is worth about 1290 and I'm getting about 1200.

However Portugal has just started to reinforce her borders with me, though she has no troops in SE USA. I'm thinking it maybe time for war! Especially as she has colonies up on the west coast that could be taken and are near to completeing. With Lima as a staging post I can get some transports and galleons around there to project some power and prevent them becoming cites.

But this leads to a difficult question! I'm overextended (though I think this would go away with a ruler who's admin is over 5 as I now have more cored provs than uncored) So do I want to take those colonies for myself? I have the BB for them and some territorial gains but this means I'll be overextensing for a very long time. So no swaping of NI's etc.

Ireland will fight with Portugal again, you are right it isn't the Alliance that does it, it's the fact that she is the defender of the catholic faith! :D

This is no real problem, I think I could win the wars easily enough! More easily now than in a few more years. The question is whether I want the extra provs. I guess + 3 revolt risk +50% stab costs aren't so bad, but the +3 minimum revolt risk, doesn't that mean everyone wants to revolt all the time regardless of NIs/improvements etc?

The Incan Scandinavian war seems to be going no where. However I still feel that once my truce is up I should attack Inca and hold her provs until Scandinavia makes peace?

Advices please!

My view would be to keep gaining territory until you've driven the Europeans from the Americas. Overextension will pass and you can live with the penalties even if it isn't fun at times.

When you had your DIP 9, why didn't you DoW Portugal? You have free CBs to use either the Reconquest or the Trade. If you had taken Tenessee, maybe you'd have got cores on more land. You've 9 Portuguese and 8 Irish provinces to take. You need to be taking one province every five years.

Did you take those Irish colonies north of the Incas? You'd best bet is to take the Portuguese colonies on the West Coast and extend your own colonies/cities out to join up. What NI did you take?

I agree with Prawnstar! Expansion (over or not!) is a priority. You wouldn't want the Europeans to gain momentum...

HttT does make it harder to becomea superpower :D

you want a better admin guy ^^

Yep.. which button do I press for a 9A 9D5M every time? ;)

My view would be to keep gaining territory until you've driven the Europeans from the Americas. Overextension will pass and you can live with the penalties even if it isn't fun at times.

Yeah I guess I'm going to have to live with over extension, at least untill I've filled in the US.

When you had your DIP 9, why didn't you DoW Portugal? You have free CBs to use either the Reconquest or the Trade. If you had taken Tenessee, maybe you'd have got cores on more land. You've 9 Portuguese and 8 Irish provinces to take. You need to be taking one province every five years.

Did you take those Irish colonies north of the Incas? You'd best bet is to take the Portuguese colonies on the West Coast and extend your own colonies/cities out to join up. What NI did you take?

I know a dip 9 leader gives you a chance of getting the border dispute event, but what else does it do? you seem to think it would have been very helpful if I had one when I take a province? I have long large borders with Portugal as it is so I assume you refer to something other than the border dispute? I do agree I need to take Tennessese more missions could be useful, but doing so loses me my sure fire CB on anyone! :(

I did not take the Irish colonies north of Inca, I burnt them! they were cut off from the sea and so I couldn't see colonists there, and they'd be hard to defend or control when and how they would become cites. Also I had 11 colonies at the time and didn't want to push my economy any further.

I took the nation trade policy or something +10% trade efficency! I already had shrewed commerical practices adn so enacted the importation act too.

I agree with Prawnstar! Expansion (over or not!) is a priority. You wouldn't want the Europeans to gain momentum...

HttT does make it harder to becomea superpower :D

It seems to be making it very difficult for me to become one but I think I need to get you guys a screenie of europe! The AI seem to have no problems with becoming superpowers!

Actually, using the Reconquest CB with a DIP 9 might actually gain you extra cores during the war. Given your luck, improbable granted but every little helps, rght? It should have meant you'd get a new core on enemy territory once the war ended.
Whilst the Portuguese ban you from their trade centres, you have an automatic DoW on them.

I'm actually glad the Scandinavians didn't have to fight you. You don't gain anything from them.

If those Irish colonies had no free provinces to the sea Gulf of Mexico or were out of colonial range, burning was the right option.

I'm actually glad the Scandinavians didn't have to fight you. You don't gain anything from them.

If those Irish colonies had no free provinces to the sea Gulf of Mexico or were out of colonial range, burning was the right option.

Portugal rarely has me banned during peace.. I should tyr to trade mroe in lisboa and get baned more often!

They did not have any access to the sea and out of colonial range! Any west coast provs of portugals willl be well beyond colonial range!

Here's a world map and a map of europe!

EU3_MAP_IRO_1670613_1.jpg

2011-04-09_00001.jpg

Some pretty big powers out there! GULP!

Some big powers there in Europe.

It occurs to me that if the colonies are out of range, they won't appear on the colonial maintenance until they are in range. What's colony and what's province in South America? I suspect Jamaica would bring the coast of south america within colonial range once a city.

Sending merchants to Portuguese COTs like Mexico would get you banned. That TE boost you have could make your merchants irresistible.

With the infamy you now have and the number of years you'll be at war, a reconquest CB could net you 5 portuguese provinces in SE america plus Tennessee, if you want to push above your infamy level.

It occurs to me that if the colonies are out of range, they won't appear on the colonial maintenance until they are in range. What's colony and what's province in South America? I suspect Jamaica would bring the coast of south america within colonial range once a city.

Sending merchants to Portuguese COTs like Mexico would get you banned. That TE boost you have could make your merchants irresistible.

With the infamy you now have and the number of years you'll be at war, a reconquest CB could net you 5 portuguese provinces in SE america plus Tennessee, if you want to push above your infamy level.

I'll get no advance on my colonial range without a core, not just a city... sigh... It's another reason for taking Lima when I did.

There are no other CoT in the America's other than Mohawk and Lima...

I'm not sure how much I'll take, and i'm unsure where to take them, from the land locked bloc or more of the Irish Coast/islands... I think I'll have a look at which are the more profitable!

that muscovite Russia is a monster !

Yep a 18th century cold war may be brewing!

War without end pt7...

Portugal has a colony that will complete into a city in just 2 months time, so I declare war immediately.

I want those colonies, I can't get colonists there, the range is too far, but I want the provs and it's much easier and cheaper infamy wise, to snatch them now rather than later!

Ireland comes in as defender of the faith!

16691206dow.jpg

No supprises here,

The Portugesse catch one of my anti-pirate patrols around Florida:

16691220.jpg

And here is the situation on the ground:

16700101e.jpg

I spread my forces out to siege many provs with 1/2 stacks. The Irish are quite strong though
5/5/0 in Bagougala, a tiny 0/1/0 in Chocoa and 7/0/3 in mobile.

Pensacola and Caddow have 2/4/1. They will intercept the Irish in peicemeal trying to prevent them from grouping together. The armies will bounce around and some more troops will have to be sent over from the west. To finally crush them

16700101w.jpg

Portugal are moving a 5/1/0 and a 4/4/1 into my empty territory. Coahulia's 3/6/1 is ordered to intercept and should arrive ahead of the Portuegese. Portugal move theiir 2/3/1 in tamaultis to move to Coahulia after my army is out. The 4/8/1 in Lipan is ordered to send 1/2 east to help against the irish and the rest move to head off that 2/3/1.

Further south the small 1/2 moves forwards to siege tarosa.

My vital fleet break away to move north, where they drop off a 1/2 which takes the portugese colonies with no problems.
16700115.jpg

Nicely pick up another galleon!

The battle for Coahulia is won and my army persue.

16700525.jpg

The Irish prove stubborn in the east but are eventually defeated:

16700613.jpg

There are numerous small battles I decided to only pop in one quick battle report.

The war goes exactly as planed, and a year latter the situation is under control:

16710101.jpg

my 1/2 in Karantoa is ordered to clear out the 0/1/0 sieges on Coahullia and Zacatecas and on to siege Guachichil.

a 1/2 in mexico is ordered back to Tarasoa to group up with teh 1/2 already there; portugal are sending a 1/3 to attack them.

I have a 3/6/1 orgiionally from Lipan still chashing the end of Portugal's original stack.

As seiges comeplete in the Irish gulf coast and in Portugal SE USA, and so I'll ship some units over to the Irish provenices further south. There are collonies, but Irish and Portugesse down here, I'll seize them too!

In the north the two Islands and the other other of new foundland are under siege with no problems.

My truce is up with Inca and although it may cause a few revolt problems I'm going to DOW them, this will let me collect more money, prevent any unlikely landing from scandinavia and take control of some more of portugal's colonies. I'm unsure whether to burn them or seize them. I have 6 colonies all ready and I'm sure I'll be grabbing more from Ireland and Portugal in the Carribean.

2011-04-10_00004.jpg

red dots are colonies...

Portugal is getting stab hit peaces... but which provenices should I take? I may take 3 or 4 max or let the war drag on to reduce the first...

A DOW on Inca will add 2 BB or not as they are pagans? I think not!

I think you should take Mexican provinces to connect with the colonies in the Colombia-Central America area.

Are the Newfoundland provinces easy to take? If so, I wouldn't take them yet. Other wars will come...

Do you have a reconquest CB on Portugal? I thought it was a border something, the one that gives 50% off on a few provinces.
But if you have a CB you will not get any BB for a DoW.
You know that you don't have to patrol to keep your waters free from pirates? It's enough that they are near, even if they are in a port.
And I would simply start to look at the value of the provinces as long as they are connected and defendable. I think you should have perhaps two gold provinces there in Mexico within reach. Not bad at all. :)

Actually, using the Reconquest CB with a DIP 9 might actually gain you extra cores during the war. Given your luck, improbable granted but every little helps, rght? It should have meant you'd get a new core on enemy territory once the war ended.

What would this be? I don't think I have seen any events like that.

What would this be? I don't think I have seen any events like that.

You know the one, the one that give a core on a neighbour's province. I'm sure you've seen it. The one that now seems loathe to give more than one core on a country.

MoRDin
When you come to make peace- you've got a few provinces yet to enter that are Irish in their South American territory. Now, you've taken the colony, you'll need a city to core. The Irish one between the two colonies, Yucatan to keep your fleets in supply and Tennessee, Alabama and Tuskogee. Take all the colonies, you can always setthe maitnenance to 0. Move your focus to Coahuila and send a colonist to Concho. You may use some magistrates to create a border incident.

Are those Castillians living in provincial cities or colonies?

I think you should take Mexican provinces to connect with the colonies in the Colombia-Central America area.

Are the Newfoundland provinces easy to take? If so, I wouldn't take them yet. Other wars will come...

I'm not sure I have the BB to take so many :( yeah they fall easily!

Do you have a reconquest CB on Portugal? I thought it was a border something, the one that gives 50% off on a few provinces.
But if you have a CB you will not get any BB for a DoW.
You know that you don't have to patrol to keep your waters free from pirates? It's enough that they are near, even if they are in a port.
And I would simply start to look at the value of the provinces as long as they are connected and defendable. I think you should have perhaps two gold provinces there in Mexico within reach. Not bad at all. :)

I have the conquest cb on portugal, frpm a mission focused on Tenesse, I'm not sure if i should take it or not!

You know the one, the one that give a core on a neighbour's province. I'm sure you've seen it. The one that now seems loathe to give more than one core on a country.

MoRDin
When you come to make peace- you've got a few provinces yet to enter that are Irish in their South American territory. Now, you've taken the colony, you'll need a city to core. The Irish one between the two colonies, Yucatan to keep your fleets in supply and Tennessee, Alabama and Tuskogee. Take all the colonies, you can always setthe maitnenance to 0. Move your focus to Coahuila and send a colonist to Concho. You may use some magistrates to create a border incident.

Are those Castillians living in provincial cities or colonies?

Yeah it's a spainish colony, though thety have a lot of holdings in brazil and argentina.

How do i use magistrate to get cores?? *very excited smiley*