• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bigheeed

First Lieutenant
56 Badges
Mar 3, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
Just a quick thought but shouldn't the player be able to have greater control over mayor elections in cities?
I know the trade off is it makes it easier to get the titles rather than revoking but surely the king/duke should be able to have a say in elections for direct vassals even if you are only able to nominate and not vote.

Just a quick thought but shouldn't the player be able to have greater control over mayor elections in cities?
I know the trade off is it makes it easier to get the titles rather than revoking but surely the king/duke should be able to have a say in elections for direct vassals even if you are only able to nominate and not vote.

I know some of cities of the period had elaborate treaties with the local noble lord that prevented just that sort of interference.

Well, I'm 99% sure that the AI can do that and, in fact, does. I often check the 2 independent doges (that is, genoa and venice) and what strikes me as extremely peculiar is that when the Doge does have kids, they get his titles. And I know it's not a coincidence, because I can see that going back 3/4 generations (some doges won't marry and have no kids). However, I have never had the opportunity to vote and I just don't know how it works. Still, though, it simply cannot be a coincidence; I've seen it happen a lot, although only with doges (the italian ones and novgorod).

You can change a town's succession laws to investiture if you like in the history files, but I find it a pain to keep appointing people because I run out of courtiers rather quickly, but useful perhaps if you want to appoint younger sons to get them out of the succession. You would need free investiture however.

Non-feudals titleholders with families get interesting, so you could have dynasties in any republican realms. I'm not sure if AI republics change their succession laws or just prefer electing whatever eligible male is around rather than create a new random character.

I think maybe it would be nice to be able to put someone up for the vote even if they stipulated that you can't vote or nominate yourself or your heir... Then it would still leave the negative factor of revoking the title if you want direct ownership but it would at least give you half a chance to get the man you wanted through the voting process.
Maybe with some kind of new law that works in the same way as the free investiture one, could give all your mayors a -10 opinions modifier for being able to meddle in their affairs or something similar.