• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It will be interesting to see how the Soviet AI handels the demobilisation after the Finnish War, since they would then be "at Peace" with everyone. If it does not demobilize barbarossa will be a huge challange in 41 with little chance of being able to attain historical outcomes.

Historically, not game-wise, they didn't really demobilized, since they didn't mobilize for Winter War. After 1940, they were just adding extra service time for their soldiers (you can use HoI3 decision "3 year service" to represent that) and delaying sending old soldiers home to expand their military.

For game reasons I guess Soviets should be somehow penalized if in 1936 campaign they didn't demobilized after Winter War - having them fully ready and without any handcaps for 1941 would most likely spoil all the fun, especially for human player behind USSR.

Or only partial. But that would never be possible.

I think I read somewhere, that Johan said that the AI would be "able" to be overconfident .. like the russians thinking that the finnish forces would not be a threat and thus not mobilize even if finnish forces were massing on the border.

Maybe that would be used for the winter war ... the russians thinking the finns a pushover and thus the finns being able to have some initial success.

I think I read somewhere, that Johan said that the AI would be "able" to be overconfident .. like the russians thinking that the finnish forces would not be a threat and thus not mobilize even if finnish forces were massing on the border.

Maybe that would be used for the winter war ... the russians thinking the finns a pushover and thus the finns being able to have some initial success.

IIRC, Johan said that Winter War is one of main uses for overconfident AI.

Oh, new update!

What the heck Sweden is planning? :confused:

Probably watching nervously what the Germans are doing in Norway.
No need to watch the Finnish border cause our better half (Finland) make a stand as good as it can be.

Historically, not game-wise, they didn't really demobilized, since they didn't mobilize for Winter War. After 1940, they were just adding extra service time for their soldiers (you can use HoI3 decision "3 year service" to represent that) and delaying sending old soldiers home to expand their military.

For game reasons I guess Soviets should be somehow penalized if in 1936 campaign they didn't demobilized after Winter War - having them fully ready and without any handcaps for 1941 would most likely spoil all the fun, especially for human player behind USSR.

It will be interesting how they handle this, I persume that the decision to mobilize or not could correspond to the "Treat Level" the opponent posseses.
If Luxenburg DOWed Germany, Germany would not need to mobilize yet if France or Poland DOWed the German AI would go for full mobilisation imidiatly.

So - are we dont with the finnish one, now? Just asking.

No, we just started.

On the last screenshot... is there divisions missing? Northern Finland looks bit strange, as borders have changed but there is no divisions there.

More on that in the next update.

Indeed!

One question though. Am I seeing a German ID in Murmansk?

Yep, the Germans took it while the Soviets were fighting of a second German incursion a bit to the south.

Swedes are clearly prepared for an Allied landing in Narvik and invasion of Kiruna over the Scandinavian mountains because the Germans are no threat and just want the goodies from Kiruna. The eastern border is secured by Finns as always. :cool:

Now isn't that clever AI? :D

Why do you control territory ahead of your divisions?

Have you advanced there and then retreated?

My solution, gamewise would be :
* not to mobilize during the winter was but increase the length of year service
* fight the winter war only with full strength division, i.e. the "standing red army"
* mobilize in 41 when barbarossa launches

What I'm not sure :
* can you "not" mobilize when in a limited war ?
* will the relief of having reserve division be large enough for the soviet player to make him do the same choice instead of mobilizing as early of possible to behave better in Barbarossa ?

Before we continue I would like to draw your attention to the HOI3 writing contest:

hoi3writingcontestfinal.jpg

Still two days to vote and 63 magnificent stories to choose from. Remember, you will decide who will win a copy of HOI3 (first prize is a hardcopy, signed by the dev-team).

VOTE!!!!