• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know i haven't commented for some time but following this all along.
This is the best of the carnage aars so far,i didn't know zid was such a great player.
I think the amphibious operation was perfectly alright given that allies tried something similar at gallipolli in ww1 and that us passivity in face of japanese conquest of asia in even more gamey.Looking forward to a cliffhanger finish.

Imo the soviets should stay always behind with the riverline defence,let the wehrmacht come to you through the marshes and stretching their supply lines.I always do this when i play very hard AI.Build a few forts and lots of AT garrisons in crucial places.Garrisoning the polish frontier is nearly suicide for soviets.But they always do thsi becasue of a few industries and leadership.

Alright boys and girls. Time for the weekly posting. Gee... this chapter really resulted in a massive payload of posts. Although I actully don't mind you write what you think, I see no point for any of you get so fired up. As I have mentioned before, we have internal discusions about house rules and modding and although some wants to align the game more strictly towards history-based logic, other are more restricted against HRs. None of this is "right" or "wrong" and we make compromizes. At the end of the day, game ballance is the crucial factor and that is something we all agree on. With a pure vanilla setup, Axis are the stronger side in MP and thus we have historically been careful to make changes that effect Allies badly too much, but it might change. I'm writing this to claify and NOT to open a debate. As I mentioned earlier - there is no point in discussing HRs over and over again. There are some things we WILL change until next game but we WONT change it in the middle of a running game.

I also think mnplastic has a very good poin below.

At the end of the day it is also a wit game. Rules are known to all players.

This is why you either love MP or you don't. Wether it is realistic or not is just the cream on top.

Can somebody tell us what is happening on the other fronts?

Dear Cybe, you will simply have to wait and see...

New post during the day

Carnage al Dente

Chapter XVII - The Struggle for Persia

Players:UK, USA, 2xUSSR, GER, ITA, JAP
Still an Axis player on vacation

Recap:The two main struggles in the world war is Britains attack on ockupied France and Axis attack on the Soviet Union. These are, however, not the only fronts of importance. Japan has opened an active front in Persia with potentials to threat both British holdings in Iraq and the belly of the Great Bear.

12-5.jpg

June 11th, 1941

The Brits tried an attack on Hungary through Romania but retreating Italians had seen them several days ahead and an ad hoc defense force had been assembled. Two divisions of German armor and the lack of friendly fighters made the offensive stumble to a halt. Pummeled by Italian bombers, the Brits pulled back. Hungary was saved.

The Axis still could not break the truce with Romania which was an annoying fact.

13-5.jpg

May 25th, 1941

As the Brits were moving on Hungary, the German beast of destruction continue its lumbering march against Moscow. The Red Army was not able to stop them, although progress was not very quick.

14-6.jpg

June 30th, 1941

The Romanian disaster had taxed the Wehrmacht, both on forces and attention. Still, they moved along and started to close in on the Soviet capital.

15-3.jpg

July 5th, 1941

This was an epic date as the German troops finally saw Moscow in the distance. Significant Red Army forces had assembled here, however, and the taking did not seem an easy task. The German did not succeed to rule the sky but at least the Russian bombings were quite inefficient.

18-4.jpg

July 12th, 1941

The Romanian disaster led to one good thing. Italy managed to create new colonies in Odessa and surrounding provinces. This pleased Il Duce extremely much and he sent for his personal architects to design a magnificent dacha overlooking the Black Sea.

19-3.jpg

Early June, 1941

In early June, the Japanese forces started an offensive against Persia. Persia had a communist leadership and was very strategically positioned by Iraq, Soviet and Turkey. The Soviet leadership had obviously foreseen this and placed a strong force in Teheran (or possibly they hadn’t foreseen it and just railed these forced here). This would be a hard nut to crack for the Japs. Still, the fact that a full army corps had been pulled away from the German front was a small victory in itself.

20-2.jpg

June 19th, 1941

It was slow moving in the mountainous terrain, for both sides. The Red Army, burdened with so many fronts, seemed a little unflexible and soon got a division surrounded. It seemed the Japs had a decent plan here.

21-2.jpg

July 9th, 1941

Teheran was defended by elite forces of the Red Army and the Japs had to struggle quite hard. They had the numbers, however, and attacked from several directions. As the Russians had to cover up their back more and more, it was obvious they could not keep enough forces in Teheran to hold it.

In the north, Japanese forced tried to seal the top of the sack, but the Red Army had seen this coming and a mountaineer-division came from the north to stop the encirclement.

22-2.jpg

July 12th, 1941

Persia has fallen! The Red Army managed to keep the sack open. A cavalry division attacked the Japanese division trying to seal the trap. The Jap infantry had little problem to fend off the cavalry in the mountains, but the attacked stopped them from moving – which obviously was the plan behind the attack. The battle of the Persian Sack continues.

23-1.jpg

July 22nd, 1941

Japan and her puppets are continuing putting a press on the Russian around the Baikal area. The Red Army has still a quite strong force here in relation to what the Japs has designated, and thus the going is quite slow. This is not a prioritized area for the Axis. As long as the two sided are in continuous contact, the objective is met.

24-1.jpg

July 22nd, 1941

By now, the United States was clearly worried by the World War. It was quite obvious they would join the Allies pretty soon. The Italian leadership had calculated that it would definitely be before the end of the year, possibly as early as late October or early November. It still gave Germany a quarter of a year more to crush the Bolsheviks before the yanks could interfere. It seemed like good odds.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the situation in the center of the front was so desperate that the Soviet player would be unable to press the advantage given to him by Zid in the south. I certainly looks as if the German machine keeps rolling, the Soviets will be or will be on the brink of surrender at or before USA intervention. Cpt, How is the supply situation for the Germans in Russia?

PS What will the Duce name the first pizzeria opened in Odessa?

It does seem that the Axis are still trying to meet their objective and are only a few battles short of achieving it. The Japanese offensive in the middle east is encouraging, although the flying British army might turn up in Persia out of nowhere and try to push them back.

Status of Romania must be annoying for the Axis, since they cannot attack them and the British can use this country as safe haven. Still, they will probably have to withdraw from Romania and attack the Axis somewhere else. The Germans are still moving forward, which is good.

If the Axis take Moscow the capital will move to Leningrad which is probably also threatened.

Can someone tell me if the SU players supply situation will get bad if the supply has to travel all the way from Leningrad to the area around stalin grad?

With the distributed supply system (i.e. all IC producing supplies locally), the USSR player will not have too bad a problem sending supplies elsewhere. What will be a big problem is the loss of the main supply depot & resources. The armies could keep going with their current supplies & the supplies currently on the road - but within a couple of weeks shortages will begin.

I'm surprised the USSR is having such trouble. I suppose it is an effect of starting in '38.

If the Germans conquer Moscow and the Japanese take Baku and Grozny, then the Soviet Union will be in big trouble, because they will lose all their stockpiles and it will be hard to replenish them without oil-rich regions under Soviet control. Also, the closer Japan gets to Central Siberia, the worse the SU's situation gets, because they will lose provinces with energy, which can be converted to oil. Of course they can trade with the Allies, but without India the UK doesn't have a high resource income and convoys can always be sunk.

It looks like Brits failed in Hungary and leaving it. I still think an attack on Berlin would have had more German attention but maybe it is not too late :)

Germany's "destiny" bonus is still on but soon expire and then the situation in the Soviet Union could change.

Brits need either to halt japanese progress now or attack germans in russia from rear,soviet situation seems desperate.

With the distributed supply system (i.e. all IC producing supplies locally), the USSR player will not have too bad a problem sending supplies elsewhere. What will be a big problem is the loss of the main supply depot & resources. The armies could keep going with their current supplies & the supplies currently on the road - but within a couple of weeks shortages will begin.

I'm surprised the USSR is having such trouble. I suppose it is an effect of starting in '38.

Sorry can you clarify this.

I though all supply built by IC, then magically appears in your capital and then has to go via infrastructure or port to the troops. Dissent, infrastructure, port level, supply techs, effects supply throughput. Whats this about ''the distributed supply system (i.e. all IC producing supplies locally)''

IC produces supplies - that's why units can be supplied from IC provinces if they are cut off from the capital. Therefore, if the German units are e.g. encircled in the Ruhr, it will take longer for them to get OOS.

IC produces supplies - that's why units can be supplied from IC provinces if they are cut off from the capital. Therefore, if the German units are e.g. encircled in the Ruhr, it will take longer for them to get OOS.

Okay so do supply's travel to capital first if units aren't encircled?
Also I use collaboration government when I am attacking SU, to reduce dissent therefore improving supply throughout,

However with the local IC would it be better to use total exploitation to generate supplies where they are and have extra partisan stomping units of coarse.

Collaboration government is certainly a better occupation policy than Total Exploitation, especially in the Soviet Union. It gives you more MP and LP and decreases revolt risk - definitely worth more than IC.

I don't know what Germany is using in this game, but I presume that they are using CG.

The situation is indeed critical for the russians , there are ennemies at all the borders , save the northern one!

Yeah, looks like the USSR might lose Moscow before the US shows up on the stage.

Looking forward to see what the United States has in store - seeing how RN doesn't exactly have a lot of problems with the IJN my guess is that the US could have a very large ass-kicking loaded up and ready to spring in some inconvenient place on the Axis? I'm guessing northern Europe since the Japanese still have a navy and besides, compared to the Reich they're only a secondary threat to the Soviet Union.

Germany's "destiny" bonus is still on but soon expire and then the situation in the Soviet Union could change.

How long until destiny wears out? It's July and the Wehrmacht should have another 2 months of good campaign season before rain and mud start to take their toll.

@ Cpt.Easy: Do you have plans to continue the war in case the Axis actually defeat the Soviets? Will the Allies continue? Will a defeated USSR auto-trigger the USA to join the Allied camp?

@ Baltasar

I doubth they will a germany with all those free divisions wouldn't be able to be beat by the allies.