• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Explanation of some of doomdarks most obscure references

Doomdark seems to be one of those people who think Europa Universalis itself is not sufficiently esoteric. Here is an explanation of his most obscure references.

(also, I cannot reveal a major feature while the interface still looks like the demented scrawlings of Abdul Alhazred!)

Abdul Alhazred is a fictional mad arab in Lovecrafts stories (and in later stories written by other authors writing in his "universe"). He wrote the horrifying book Necronomicon -book of the dead.

So, let us kick off with the removal of the Permanent Terra Incognita. We thought that those mysterious regions forever hidden under a lovely shade of blinding white might as well be explorable: Here be Dragons, but to be honest, nothing else of interest.

In older maps they often draw monsters like dragons in undiscovered places. "Here there be dragons" has become an expression for uncharted territories.

In the process, I found myself annoyed with Russia, so I grabbed my musket and my tricorne and prepared to march on Moscow, but then I remembered which century it was (see what happens you spend too much time on our forums?) So, instead, I gratuitously changed the Russian geography so it was more to my liking.

Tricorne is a triangular hat most popular from late 17th century to Napoleonic era. Swedish soldiers wore it in some of their wars against Russia.

Yes my friends, it is time to say non to the menace that is France. Or, at least, a timid S'il vous plaît ne me tuez pas! Jesting aside, we hope France is now better balanced, with more initial trouble annexing its vassals and smashing Burgundy.

The French words mean "Please don't kill me."

Dag Stålhandske

When a survey commissioned by the French king reported back their more accurate assessment of the coastline had reduced France's estimated area by a considerable amount, that king is said to have remarked that he'd been robbed of more territory by the survey than by the previous war. Seems appropriate here somehow.

About the removal of PTI - having all these grey provinces around will be almost as frustrating as the evil white mass :) I hope it will be well nigh impossible to get an army through these areas.

What if a province that was wasteland is attached to whichever nation had a fully-developed city in the wealthiest adjacent province? Cosmetic obviously, though it might stop potential stupid exploits if your enemy decides to mount a backstab through uncontrollable wilderness provinces. It would also 'flesh out' Russia as it expanded east.

Last edited:
Damm I feel abit confused now :S about that 4th pictrue that shows how your province income of what I mean I see the text saying Despiuted succsesion but what execly is that :/?

well I guess Im going back to been a noob agian....

Looking excellent. Every Diary makes me want this expansion more and more.

Could you maybe give us a few clues as to where the other strips may be or better still show us next week? I'm still hoping you've remembered poor old Sikkim...

I was thinking perhaps Amazonian regions, areas around the Amazon River were traveled in these times. Also more of Africa and Australia most likely.

I was thinking perhaps Amazonian regions, areas around the Amazon River were traveled in these times. Also more of Africa and Australia most likely.

Can you please explain me why all this interest about regions inhospitable even after the end of eu3 timeline :)? I don't...just get it, they were historically ignored because profit was hard to get there, so the efforts of colonizers went elsewhere.

I can find nice to colonize the Amazon River only as long as there are tribes of Amazons (the fighting chicks unnecessarily beautiful you see in movies etc.), but maybe it's just me ;).

Can you please explain me why all this interest about regions inhospitable even after the end of eu3 timeline :)? I don't...just get it, they were historically ignored because profit was hard to get there, so the efforts of colonizers went elsewhere.

I can find nice to colonize the Amazon River only as long as there are tribes of Amazons (the fighting chicks unnecessarily beautiful you see in movies etc.), but maybe it's just me ;).

For Africa, well It is part of the old world, and should be given more detail IMO. It is kinda stupid to have most places just one coastal province and nothing else in the inland. Europeans gotten farther than that in real life! How do you think the slaves were captured? Were they on the coast? No. The Coastal Africans were friends of the Europeans mostly, and were the ones going inland to capture the slaves for Europeans.

For Australia, All coastal parts of Australia should be colonizable imo.

I think anything that can be discovered during EU3's timeline should be in game. We had Europeans exploring the Amazon .. Via the Amazon, during EU timespan. To not include it because it wasn't very profitable at first is stupid, as EU3 is a big what-if game. What if for example, Europeans colonized the Amazon and found deposits of Gold or something there? I'm sure in this timeline the Amazon would get more attentions than in real life.

Would it be possible to inherit Republics (If someone has a strong claim)?

I believe that happened in Italian merchant states at least...

Please consider making it possible to view disputed claims for only those countries whos existance a player/ai-country has knowledge of. I don't want to be spammed with notifications regarding countries whos existance i don't even "know" of - its silly and clutters the notification tootltip. Thanks.

Wouldn't it be better if the legitimacy tooltip actually only showed you inheritance chances of countries you actually have a RM with? Or maybe only those in your continent, or something alike, so as to avoid cluttering...

For Africa, well It is part of the old world, and should be given more detail IMO. It is kinda stupid to have most places just one coastal province and nothing else in the inland. Europeans gotten farther than that in real life! How do you think the slaves were captured? Were they on the coast? No. The Coastal Africans were friends of the Europeans mostly, and were the ones going inland to capture the slaves for Europeans.

For Australia, All coastal parts of Australia should be colonizable imo.

I think anything that can be discovered during EU3's timeline should be in game. We had Europeans exploring the Amazon .. Via the Amazon, during EU timespan. To not include it because it wasn't very profitable at first is stupid, as EU3 is a big what-if game. What if for example, Europeans colonized the Amazon and found deposits of Gold or something there? I'm sure in this timeline the Amazon would get more attentions than in real life.

I have to object in this way: first, afaik, the most commonly used way to capture slaves in african coasts was to dock ships full of food, lure many, and set sail; I even read of many african population developing fear and distrust towards those 'ships of no return', and inland there was little beside gold and ivory.

Of course, gold and ivory and slaves were rather valued, but all of them are already in eu3; I'd see little point in adding inland provinces with trade good:slaves.

Regarding the Amazon river, the problem is that there wasn't gold there, as there isn't today, so regardless the fact that eu3 is a what-if game, if you add gold where there wasn't you are not changing the course of history, you are playing on another medieval Earth.

I have to object in this way: first, afaik, the most commonly used way to capture slaves in african coasts was to dock ships full of food, lure many, and set sail; I even read of many african population developing fear and distrust towards those 'ships of no return', and inland there was little beside gold and ivory..

I'm pretty sure the most common way to get slaves was to buy them from african kingdoms. This in fact made up for much of the african states economy for periods of the game, some of these kingdoms relied on this trade very heavily.

Regarding the Amazon river, the problem is that there wasn't gold there, as there isn't today, so regardless the fact that eu3 is a what-if game, if you add gold where there wasn't you are not changing the course of history, you are playing on another medieval Earth.

I was saying how when you find a colony, it starts with no resource and a random one is picked.

I was saying how when you find a colony, it starts with no resource and a random one is picked.

Not to be picking fights :), but the randomness the good is chosen with is not the same for all the colonies (i.e. you cannot discover gold in Canada), and is based upon historical discoveries to several degrees.

Looks great, but tbh i fear this whole legitimacy thing isnt what i was waiting for exactly. I thought the system should be more based on actual family trees. This looks more like its based on stability/inner politics. Hope i am wrong.
I wanna fight and inheritance war because my ruler traces back his roots to a grand grand cousin of the died ruler of the other country.