Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK, we've got another major decision to make.

It's obvious that our attempt to lure the Prix away from the Life-Pods isn't working. Only one of the three took the bait, the other two are holding a course for our Battle Fleet, which will take them right through the area of the Life-Pods. Sorry, guys... there's literally nothing we can do, short of stopping the Fleet where it is and fighting the battle out without the help of the Mine-Layers.

So there isn't much point in risking getting our Rocks gunned down, since the distraction isn't working anyway.

I think we should change course with the Rocks, and head towards the general rendezvous point, where our Battle-Fleet and Mine-Layers are headed. If they draw any fire there, it will be fire that might have fallen on an armed ship; and also by steering in that direction, we will have a much better chance to shoot the pursuing Prix off the tail of the Rocks, since our fleet and mine-layers will be closer, and the running time of our missiles will be shorter.

Discuss.

Concur. Again, if we don't win the battle everybody dies. Rescuing and protecting survivors come second.

Survival of the fleet is more important that individuals. Sad but true.

The prixies might not care to touch the pods yet though, not with enemy contacts still present.

That's our hope. All we can do is hope, since I am most reluctant to turn the Battle-Fleet around. That would mean giving up any chance of bringing the Mine-Layers into the action, and they are the only vessels in the fleet that still have their full ammo stores.

Our eleven Fighters will be reloaded in time for the battle... in 90 more seconds.

The Rocks have acknowledged their orders and are heading for the Fleet rendezvous point. The enemy groups are now only about 3/4 of a million km out of missile range of our Attitudes and Stars. They will have to get closer before the Fighters or the Agincourt can open fire, and considerably closer before the Mine-Layers can join in.

Let the storm rage!
Prepare to open fire on the alien scum!
battlefleet_gothic.jpg

Half a million km to go. Still 4 million km beyond range of the Fighters and the Agincourt, and 9 million km out of the Mine-Layers range.

It looks like the Mine-Layers will arrive in time to take part in this battle after all... they are headed towards the enemy, while the Fighters and the Agincourt are headed away from them (along with everybody else), so the ranges should overlap at nearly the same time.

Still no fire from the Prix. Looks like we're facing Gun-Ships. But do they have PD guns? We'll find out.

In your own understanding of the game system, are PD guns more or less effective than the equivalent level PD missiles?

I haven't had enough experience with them to tell. Most effective is a three-layer defense... PD missiles for long range, guns for short range, and CIWS for point blank range.

Tactical:

G_207_Prix.jpg

Firing now. They are still about 150 k-km out of range, but by the time the combat-orders delay is over, they should be just inside our ECM-adjusted range limit.

One 40-missile salvo, coming up.

On the way. Our ships fired on Temuchin 001 just as the Prix crossed into our ECM-adjusted range.

Re-targeting on the Gengis. I won't shoot at the other Temuchin until I know whether this class has strong PD.