Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They can travel in drop ships, but they don't like it. The plan will be to send a troop ship alongside the assault carrier, and load them when ready for the strike.

And you can transfer ground units from ship to ship in the middle of nowhere? Sounds a bit strange. :)

And it makes my "assault transport" design of a 20k jump capable military ship able to carry three battalions and having hangar space for three 1000 ton assault shuttles, each with a battalion drop ship, a bit of a waste of displacement. Maybe I'll scrap the transport spaces and add hangar space for some gunboats or more assault shuttles.

And you can transfer ground units from ship to ship in the middle of nowhere? Sounds a bit strange. :)

And it makes my "assault transport" design of a 20k jump capable military ship able to carry three battalions and having hangar space for three 1000 ton assault shuttles, each with a battalion drop ship, a bit of a waste of displacement. Maybe I'll scrap the transport spaces and add hangar space for some gunboats or more assault shuttles.

Well you can randomly shuffle missiles between ships during a battle, so... Although I'm not sure if anyone has tested it with troops yet.

If you want to justify it, then the drop shuttles are docking with the troop transport to embark the men.

Transferring troops takes time, you'd better do it before the battle, or you'll drop your Marines into wrecks, not enemy ships.

Cargo Handling Systems speed up the loading/unloading of troops just as much as they speed up cargo handling. Miniature tractor beams, used to scoop up the Marines and stuff them into the holds.

As for the FAC design, is there any way to cut the range?

Only by increasing the mass, which has its own drawbacks. 10,000 L is the smallest fuel tank.

You need to research fighter fuel tanks (5kL).

OK, now I remember... :p ... I'm using 10,000 L tanks because the extra capacity comes "free".

With 10,000 L tanks, the Bayonet Assault Shuttle has 2.7 b-km range, 11,000 kps speed and a TCS of 16.

With 5,000 L tanks instead... the Bayonet Assault Shuttle has 1.35 b-km range, 11,000 kps speed and a TCS of 16.

No gain at all from using the smaller tanks. Might as well use the big ones.

Commodore TheLoneGunman is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Andromeda, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Commodore Konstantin Shepardovski is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Cassiopeia, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Commodore PolarMongoose II is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Perseus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Commodore Cromelex is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Pegasus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Captain Iche Bins is promoted to Commodore and assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Cephus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters. It is currently filling out its Air Group from new construction.

Captain Alice Bryant is promoted to Commodore and assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Cetus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters. It is currently awaiting Fighters for its Air Group.

Does anyone who is currently running a Cruiser or Destroyer want one of the Mountain class Assault Carriers? It will be a few years before they see any action, since they need to be refitted for their new role, and the Assault Shuttles need to be built.

Last edited:
I'd like a carrier, I think I'm in command of one of the new beam PD ships.

Sure.

Captain Hebelcan has been assigned to command the Mountain-II class Assault Carrier ESN Etna.

Lt-Commander Demonson has been promoted to Captain and assigned to command the Storm class Gauss Point Defense Frigate ESN Storm.

Like I said, the Mountains won't be taking part in combat ops for a few years, since they need to wait for a free slipway, get refitted to Mountain-III standard, and then take their Assault Shuttles (which aren't even built yet) aboard.

I have sent the jump-capable Troop Transport ESNX Fort Sumner to El Dorado in the Wolf 294 system, to fetch the 820th Marines... Colonel Hearth mentioned that he would like to see his unit take part in the combat drop on the three Prix-held worlds in the 82 Eridani system, and since we have to overhaul the Fleet and build up for the assault anyway, there's time to send someone to fetch his unit.

Last edited:
Sure.

Like I said, the Mountains won't be taking part in combat ops for a few years, since they need to wait for a free slipway, get refitted to Mountain-III standard, and then take their Assault Shuttles (which aren't even built yet) aboard.

I have sent the jump-capable Troop Transport ESNX Fort Sumner to El Dorado in the Wolf 294 system, to fetch the 820th Marines... Colonel Hearth mentioned that he would like to see his unit take part in the combat drop on the three Prix-held worlds in the 82 Eridani system, and since we have to overhaul the Fleet and build up for the assault anyway, there's time to send someone to fetch his unit.

I still think we should build some cruiseships instead of wimpy Troop transports...
I like to travel in style, like a true pimp... or is it a Marine I am?

I still think we should build some cruiseships instead of wimpy Troop transports...
I like to travel in style, like a true pimp... or is it a Marine I am?

The last time I saw any Cruise Ships, they were ferrying tourists out to El Dorado to buy souveneirs from the homicidal Prix Robots. Not sure where they went after that. Touring the inside of a Black Hole, possibly.

What is my current status? Am I still on a light cruiser? What is the next step in the career ladder after a light cruiser?

The last time I saw any Cruise Ships, they were ferrying tourists out to El Dorado to buy souveneirs from the homicidal Prix Robots. Not sure where they went after that. Touring the inside of a Black Hole, possibly.

you see, thats why you should give the ship to me instead, so I can relax in style between massacres.

What is my current status? Am I still on a light cruiser? What is the next step in the career ladder after a light cruiser?

You are a Captain, in command of the Attitude-II class Light Cruiser ESN Paranoid. The next step is a Heavy Cruiser (with three of them due to launch within a year), then eventually a Battlecruiser. Unless you wanted to transfer to one of the Assault Carriers, which won't be seeing any action for a few years.

You are a Captain, in command of the Attitude-II class Light Cruiser ESN Paranoid. The next step is a Heavy Cruiser (with three of them due to launch within a year), then eventually a Battlecruiser. Unless you wanted to transfer to one of the Assault Carriers, which won't be seeing any action for a few years.

Nah, I'll let the flyboys have their glory and stay in the real Navy :) Put me in line for a heavy cruiser when one becomes available please!

Nah, I'll let the flyboys have their glory and stay in the real Navy :) Put me in line for a heavy cruiser when one becomes available please!

Sure. You may even get one early, since when the Heros come out of the yards, some of the Heavy Cruiser Captains will be moving up to them, which frees up the Heavy Cruisers for a Light Cruiser Captain to take over.

Belizard ship in the Gliese 320 system, approaching our new colony of Remagen. I'm turning on our active sensors. Judging from the thermal signature and TCS (Target Cross Section), it's just a scout ship. No sense taking chances, though... Remagen PDC is launching Fighters now.