• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
instead of a EU4 what about maybe a game that goes from around the time that Rome ended to the time of the Mongol invasions maybe?

I would just like the historical balances re-established. France and the Ottomans were the great powers of the age. Yet France quickly falls to Burgundy and the Ottomans are quickly conquered by Austria if they are the human controlled countries. I have also noticed that a player controlled Russia/Muscovy is quickly overrun by the Ottomans while Austria stays quiet.

I would just like the historical balances re-established. France and the Ottomans were the great powers of the age.
In 1399, France was a disorderly wreck, with a king (Charles VI the Mad) who was both incompetent and insane (the 5.2 beta patches give him his rightful stat line: 3/3/3). Most men to hold the Duchy of Burgundy between 1399 and the death of Charles the Brash, on the other hand, were sane, competent, and very, very ambitious.

Which only goes to show why 1399 is an atrocious start date, since the two nation that should be the great power of the era (the EU era) start at historical lows which they rarely recover for unless they're human-controlled.

Which only goes to show why 1399 is an atrocious start date, since the two nation that should be the great power of the era (the EU era) start at historical lows which they rarely recover for unless they're human-controlled.

Don't forget that the original start was 1453, which makes a huge difference for both countries. I am one of the very small minority who never starts in 1399. Tried it once, didn't like it.

Victoria-based game set in the modern era would be my preferred choice. HoI3 combat + Vicky 2 economy + HoI2 MDS2 scenario.

Personally I would like to see a modern day EU style game including the UN, NATO etc and many more diplomacy options. Guessing it would be difficult to have enough wars for the more action based fans with the global alliances and the AI coding would be an immense challenge.

The upcoming East vs West HOI game sounds interesting though.

I would want more emphasis on strategic resources or something like that. Maybe it is in the game but it doesn't seem to noticeable. I have mentioned this before on another post but the ability to make a alliance against another nation would be nice and the ability to change your religion. I think it used to be in there but in DW I can't find it.

Don't forget that the original start was 1453, which makes a huge difference for both countries. I am one of the very small minority who never starts in 1399. Tried it once, didn't like it.

I distinctly remember that, and I much prefer the later start date.

There is an argument to be made for starting a little earlier, but 1399 is just plain too early. This game is about the early modern world; and while giving it a little bit of room for althistories to develop (eg, Byzantine survival) is fine, starting it at a point where two of the most important nations of that period are unlikely to survive is not fine.

Id personaly like to start EVEN earlier like 1350 or even 1300, simply to give the chance for Paganism to survive in Europe and to give a bit more time before Colonisation.

Anyways, in a future release id like to see a bit more build on with nations outside of Europe such as more religious decisions and nation forming, try to remove as much wasteland as possible (be able to move into central Africa for example) and add more minor nations that are represented currently as just natives.

A few mods have done this well.

Last edited:
I distinctly remember that, and I much prefer the later start date.

There is an argument to be made for starting a little earlier, but 1399 is just plain too early. This game is about the early modern world; and while giving it a little bit of room for althistories to develop (eg, Byzantine survival) is fine, starting it at a point where two of the most important nations of that period are unlikely to survive is not fine.
You are just silly. How should Ottomans develop into major powers when they have to share land with Byzantine?

You just forget the thing, that when you start game and play, game is no longer "historical" but all of actions are at your hands, not hands of historical person.

If they make a EU IV they better not remove any of the already amazing EU III features. But I'd want to see the Trading Posts come back. There should be differences between settler colonies and trade posts.

Something I'd like to see is a better working rebel system. I don't know what to add but it feels like something is missing. I think that normal peasant revolt is just fine, rising up in their province and taking some provinces around and so. But I'd like to see some more when it comes to nationalist, revolutionaries and such.

I would like a completeley different timeline. Say: 500 BC to 200 AD. Give the Ancient world a shot.

I'd like to see the timeline start and end dates extended. Possibly something like 1200-1950.

I think since Crusader Kings II takes place roughly 1066 to 1453 and Hearts of Iron takes place at 1936 to 1949 it's unlikely they would do that, and also Victoria II takes place in 1836 to 1936. Though, I can see what you mean by a extended timeline. I think they should just make a game that starts at 0 and goes to like 1000 A.D. That way you have 1000 years and the fall of paganism.