• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WAIT! I got a good one: Jewish-Indian-Poles in Malta
Malta is actually more or less as it is in the real world only with a stronger Arab influence.

Able to grow spices in new world?
What plants?
Nutmeg is one, but there are new world spices (allspice, chili, chocolate, vanilla) and peppers that work as well. Plus with the growth of an empire that spanned from the Far to Near Easts, Spices from India and China could be bought by Prussians in Asia Minor, without having to send their traders all the way to Bahrain or even Goa. Here, the emphasis is on the shift of Prussian trade away from Goa and toward the Timurids and later Persians for cheaper routes.

Really nice. I must say the Tales of the Anglo-Prussians is the most immersive AAR I've seen. No other AAR has such a feel of reality to it.
Thank you, that really means a lot.

Wait....The Mords?

Mormon-Nords?

Mordvalaiset. Volga-Finns. You know the people who lived in Russia before the Russians came and stole their lands? ;)

My suggestion was more interesting....but yeah
Heh, Mormon-Nords... But yeah, the Mord[vin]s are the Volga-Finns. They managed to really last in this world. Russian is basically a fringe language, and the only surviving Eastern Slavic language is Azowian.

Can I ask about Gotlands language?
East-Germanic Gothic? They did not belong the North-Germanic language group, I think, but were rather closer to ancient Goths.
How are they in this world? And Crimean Goths?
And how far have East- and West-Slavs are from each other? Or Wends and Lusetians long gone?

It's true. Rome AARisen for example, is like watching a historically accurate blockbuster movie. But this is like watching history.

Enough praise for now. Updates! ;)
I like that comparison, and I am glad that there has been fruit to my efforts.

Working on an update now.

Can I ask about Gotlands language?
East-Germanic Gothic? They did not belong the North-Germanic language group, I think, but were rather closer to ancient Goths.
How are they in this world? And Crimean Goths?
And how far have East- and West-Slavs are from each other? Or Wends and Lusetians long gone?
The Gothic tongues, like in the real world, are minor during the first two books and extinct by the end of the third.

As for the Eastern and Western Slavs, they have suffered greatly at the expanse of the Prussians and the Mords. Ruthenian is extinct by the 1700s. Russian is spoken in a few cities around Tver. Azowian (which is also an East Slavic Language) is obviously doing fine. In the West, Czech is still around and has a couple majority provinces in the modern day. However, they are highly Germanized. Wends and Sorbs are also still around, though like in our world are a tiny group within Germany. There never was a chance for the Slovaks to seriously differentiate from the Czechs and with the expansion of the Prussian culture and language, we see that Slovakian never even arises in the modern sense.

I think he said a long time ago that Wends were still around, but there were very few. Dunno for sure.

Yup.

I just can't wait to see what kind of a mess North America is!

Bastions
Chapter Forty One: Aeterna Rege Europa
Part 5

Prelude:
Shia Islam's place in Europe is often overshadowed by the "Native Islam" of Frandism. Three regions in Europe were infamous for their dogged determination to remain Shiite throughout the early modern period to the modern day: the two Sicilies, the Alps regions of France and Italy, and "Bosnia". Bosnia, though, originally a specific region of the Balkans, eventually becomes a cover-all term to refer to any Slavic Muslim in the Balkans. Shia Islam arrived in Europe with Egyptian crusaders, originally conquering the island of Sicily and later the Kingdom of Naples on the main land. From here they waged war in northern Italy and the Balkans, even going so far to conquer the city of Venice. But they did not hold onto their Balkan lands for long, eventually losing them to native Shiite converts. Bosnia eventually was absorbed into Prussian Croatia, and then freed along with Croatia. By 1364 the Bosnians were confined to three pockets amongst the different Balkan states. Eventually a revolt broke out in two of these three pockets. Bosnians in Dalmatia were able to wrestle control of the coast from the Croatians and established their own realm with the support of the Kingdom of Naples. The Balkans was quickly destabilizing as both Hungary and Rome turned their attentions elsewhere, leaving the small states to fend for themselves against their internal divisions and external pressure.

Religion-3.png

Religion in the Balkans circa 1364.

September 9th, 1364

Lord-Protector Doyvát had been sent on a rare diplomatic mission outside of the Prussian sphere of influence. Today he toured the city of Constantinople, the first major member of Prussia's royal family to enter the city without an army with him. The Roman Empire was in a sorry state, or so the Prince had seen on his brief sojourn outside of the Great Palace of Constantine. Years of war with the Armenians and Georgians were leaving the city void of life. It was a city of grand opulence and utter poverty. Many of the servants did not speak Greek, rather a pidgin of Greek and Slavic tongues. Emperor Æthelstan did not seem to mind; instead he continued to eat grapes off of the bunch as he reclined in his lounge chair. For an Emperor fighting a losing war in the East and facing rebellion in the West he seemed to not have a care in the world. The Emperor was younger than Doyvát; he had no connection to the real world. The real power behind the throne was his whore of a sister: Isabel. She, along with Æthelstan's wife, Helena, controlled the Empire through a web of sex-fueled intrigue.

Doyvát sat almost completely dumbfounded with how out of touch the Saxon dynasty had become. He sipped impatiently at a glass of wine, taking mental notes on the workings of the Imperial court. His mission was to gauge whether Prussia could benefit from supporting revolts in the Balkans. From what he saw, it was a miracle that the Roman Empire was even still a singular element. He was joined by Prince Constantine II, Duke of Bulgaria. Like most people in Bulgaria he spoke Greek as a native language, but was still treated like a Slav by the increasingly xenophobic Saxon dynasty. The irony was not lost on either of the foreigners that day. "It is awfully hot today..." Æthelstan mused, he turned over and a pair of women clad only in golden chairs and thin strips of cloth began to fan him. Doyvát watched them, not really paying attention to their form or niceties. Rather he was amused by their dark skin, and exotic skin paintings; their style was obviously Arabic in origin. Both seemed unhappy with their lot, but giggled and smiled when the Emperor grabbed them and tugged at their clothing. Eventually Isabel entered the throne room and stood in front of the two gentlemen who had ventured to the court.

RomanEmpire.png

The Serbian and Bulgarian Revolts of 1364. Nations with white outlines are Christian, Nations with green outlines are Muslim.

"Can I help you, Lord-Protector?" she asked Doyvát.

Doyvát shook his head, "I am rather certain that Prince Constantine has been here far longer than I. I would not be offended if you tended to matters of the Empire before entertaining a visitor like me."

Isabel looked at Constantine as she might a servant's reckless child. The gruff old Duke stood up, but was rebuked, "I doubt that the Prince has anything important to say," she said leaning forward and pressing her breasts together as a show for the Lord-Protector.

Doyvát was unmoved, "I doubt he'd journey this far without purpose." Isabel sneered at the both of them and walked over to the throne. She stood beside it and motioned for Constantine to come forth.

"What is it, Bulgar?"

"M'lady, the revolts in the North and West have spread. The Serbians have already begun to siege my western forts; they seek nothing less than utter conquest. I cannot be expected to put down all these rebellions and contribute to the war effort in Anatolia. I ask that I be allowed to put down this rebellion before dealing with the Armenians," Constantine said.

Isabel seemed unmoved and Doyvát watched carefully, listening to her every seething word. "Constantine, you come here to the Queen of Cities and you beg, and you wallow in your own self pity, and you bring this tale of woe and hardship before the ears of our dear Emperor? For what good? So you can be relieved of the duty that every member of this Empire must fulfill?"

"M'lady, I have been doing my duty since the day I was old enough to swing a sword. I cannot be expected to fight two wars at once."

Isabel sat down in the Emperor's throne, causing Constantine to grimace. "And why have I never heard of this Slav rebellion before?" she lied. "I think we have a traitor in our midst, do we have a traitor in our midst, Constantine?"

"No."

"Good. Now sit down, Constantine."

A few hours later Doyvát cornered Constantine beyond the ear of Isabel or the Empress. "What was that, Prince? I have seen the Slavic rebellion first hand, how do you tolerate that witch of a woman sit in the throne of your ancestors?"

Constantine looked at Doyvát harshly, "Not all of us get to live lives of luxury. Some of us have to fight to stay in power, and sometimes that means licking the hand that binds us."

"It doesn't have too. Bulgaria is no more a Slavic land than Constantinople. Rise up! Take the throne that belongs to you! Prussia will help you," Doyvát said. His conviction seemed to spread through Constantine's face. "Overthrow the rule of the harem, Constantine."

For a brief moment, Constantine seemed like he was going to accept the offer. But instead he shook his head woefully. "No, I cannot do that. I am a Bulgar, born and raised on the banks of the Danube. Why should I potentially sacrifice my people for you?"

It was true, Doyvát had little care of the Bulgars or of the Roman people, but to replace the Saxon dynasty with a more stable one would be highly beneficial to the Prussians, especially if that dynasty was indebted to the King. "The choice is yours. You wouldn't even have to raise an army. Just command the loyalty of the Serbs and your own people. The armies there are already loyal to their Duke."

"Lord-Protector, you are a shrew of a man at times. I've heard of your chivalry and your knightly ways. But your actions do not always meet your reputation. I will not sack Constantinople; I do not wish to deal with Armenians and Georgians for the rest of my life. If I were to do this, I'd make a new state with a new capital: Tarnovo. And Bulgaria would be free from Prussians as well as Romans. You can be sure of that."

End Chapter Forty One

Interesting.

I do not see an independant Bulgaria kingdom based in Tarnovo as non-compatible with Prussian interest. In any case, a decadant nation with Isabel as Empress does not deserve to prosper and should be allow a quick death :D

The culture update was incredible! I had no idea that the Qurati crusaders had conquered so much. Baharain is a long way from home, that is for sure. This recent update is even better. I have always had a soft spot for Byzantium, but it is no surprise that it is stagnating. Hopefully the secession of Bulgaria is a wake up call for the Queen of Cities - as the only other alternative is their demise...

Interesting.

I do not see an independant Bulgaria kingdom based in Tarnovo as non-compatible with Prussian interest. In any case, a decadant nation with Isabel as Empress does not deserve to prosper and should be allow a quick death :D
An independent Bulgaria works for the Prussians, but Constantine does not want to deal with Prussian influence anymore then he wants to deal with the Roman whore.

The culture update was incredible! I had no idea that the Qurati crusaders had conquered so much. Baharain is a long way from home, that is for sure. This recent update is even better. I have always had a soft spot for Byzantium, but it is no surprise that it is stagnating. Hopefully the secession of Bulgaria is a wake up call for the Queen of Cities - as the only other alternative is their demise...
Yeah, the Romans actually make quite a run in this time line, the monarchy only suffers a brief break in rule during the Communist period, and are restored as a Constitutional Monarchy in the modern day and age. However, the state is fragile during most of EUIII, and eventually other dynasties use their ties to the Palaiologoids to take the throne.

Well, Tarnovo is a state in MEIOU? Right?
How did Georgia and Armenia become Muslim?
Georgia and Armenia were vassals of the Seljuk Empire at its height and heavily Islamized. They went through periods of unification and division, though by the 1700s are entirely Armenian (and Hindu).

Indeed. There is also Vidin as other bulgarian tsardom.
The two merged (as the often do) during CK under the reign of a non-Saxon line of the Palaiologoids.