• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks! Stay a while, and listen. The highlights of today's third and last Sword of Islam developer diary are Muslim Casus Bellis, revised combat mechanics and cultural buildings. You know the drill by now; I'll talk about both some unique Sword of Islam features and some free stuff that comes with patch 1.06.

THE SWORD OF ISLAM

Our direction with the Sword of Islam expansion is that Muslims should have an easier time expanding, but have an additional layer of internal strife in the form of the Open Succession Law and the Decadence system.

Muslim Casus Bellis

Muslim rulers have three new options for conquest:
  • They can declare Holy Wars on anyone not of their own exact brand of Islam
  • They can use a form of the Invasion CB for the cost of 500 Piety
  • They can conquer any province bordering one of their own for 50 Piety (vassalizing the current count if possible)

Pious Muslim rulers can thus easily expand, although they lose 2 Piety per month while attacking a brother of the faith (same exact religion.) The councillor job to fabricate a claim is thus less useful for Muslims, but can still be handy versus islands or juicy coastal counties.

SoI_InvasionCB.jpg

Revokation of Duchies

Duchies (emirates) are not considered to be intrinsically hereditary, so Muslims are allowed to revoke duchy titles at no opinion penalty from other vassals. This is also a good way of properly landing your sons to avoid gaining Decadence. (Incidentally, the Byzantine Empire is now allowed to do the same thing, though it does not have the Decadence mechanics.)

Dynastic Imprisonment and Execution

Another Muslim exception to the normal rules is that they are allowed to freely imprison and execute men of their own dynasty, except for their own sons. Brothers and uncles are the usual targets for these Decadence reducing purges...

Temple Holdings

In the Muslim world, there is no proper equivalent to Bishoprics, so Temple Holdings are treated exactly like Castles, except for their different set of buildings. You gain Piety for having a Temple Holding in your demesne, but they are slightly poorer and provide smaller levies than their Catholic equivalents (in order to balance them against the investiture mechanics.)

Passing Laws

Muslims do not need to bother with a voting process when passing laws; they just spend an amount of Piety. However, there is still a cooldown and Crown Laws can only be changed once per ruler. The vassals will also still get upset in the same way as Christians.

Jizya Tax

To represent the Jizya tax (a special tax that should, according to Sharia law, be levied on infidels), Muslims gain a 25% tax bonus from infidel counties and a 10% tax penalty in Muslim counties. This creates an interesting dynamic where it's not always obvious that you would want to convert an infidel province to Islam. However, there is a special event where this happens anyway, even if you don't send in your Court Imam to convert the populace.

SoI_Jizya.jpg

That's pretty much it for the Sword of Islam expansion, although I'm sure to have forgotten about many minor little changes and tweaks.

THE 1.06 PATCH

Alright, so here are a few more freebies coming your way soon with the 1.06 patch...

Expanded Combat Tactics

We have added a bunch of more (and more decisive) combat tactics, to make combat less predictable and to tie in with the new Commander traits...

Commander Traits

We have added a special type of trait called Commander traits. These are only available to characters with a Martial education, and give more specific bonuses to the character's ability to lead various troop types, and the choice of combat tactics. Characters gain one or two Commander traits when they finish their education. The effects of the Commander traits directly scale with the Martial skill of the character.

SoI_Commander.jpg

More Culture Specific Buildings

One thing that many people have requested is a broader range of culture specific buildings, and who are we to argue? We have added loads of these to give more variety and flavor.

Destruction of Titles

You are now allowed to destroy ducal tier titles and above, at a hefty Prestige cost. This will greatly upset (-50 opinion) all vassals who are de jure part of the destroyed title. You cannot destroy your current primary title.

SoI_TitleDestruction.jpg

AI Improvements

Apart from some minor improvements, the AI is now better at jumping on rulers who are already embroiled in dangerous wars (though it's still not excessively aggressive about this.) I've also spent a bit of time on attrition avoidance for AI armies, and the AI will now assault besieged holdings when appropriate.

That's it for dev diaries for now. Next week, we'll post a short AAR by a member of the dev team!

Do you really have to be so condescending when you respond? I made a joking comment and you got personally insulting. There was no call for that.

I was putting forward a point of view and backed it up with a source. You dismissed this with an inane comment which I called inane... how is that personally insulting to you?

I am not asking for anything. Im just supporting Paradox's decision to include more Empires in 1.06. And voicing an opinion contrary to the vocal anti-Empires lobby who are a bit to eager to throw around "historical fact" to support their view and belittle those who dont agree.

I am terrible sorry if the came off belittling, just saying because from own personal experiences events are hard to make, but what your asking is not impossible to do.

His own subjects did, if you bothered to read the link, instead of making an inane comment you would have seen mention of response from the HRE and Pope:

"In the fourteenth century a story appeared in various chronicles according to which the Pope, the Holy Roman Emperor, and the King of France demanded a tribute from Ferdinand I. According to this late account, the king was prepared to pay, but the Cid (who in reality was a young and very minor figure during Ferdinand's reign) declared war on Pope, Emperor and Frenchman, who rescinded their demand. For this reason "Don Ferdinand was afterwards called ‘the Great’: the peer of an emperor".... He wrote that in 1055 at the Council of Florence, the Emperor Henry III urged Victor II to prohibit under severe penalties the use of the imperial title by Ferdinand of León"

While this isnt undisputed "fact"
That's an understatement. It sounds like apocryphal nonsense. Should we include Prester John and the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary in the game, too, since medieval chronicles also reported those as true and real things?

BTW, getting all high and mighty about cited sources--when all you cited yourself was a Wikipedia article--is completely laughable.

That's an understatement. It sounds like apocryphal nonsense. Should we include Prester John and the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary in the game, too, since medieval chronicles also reported those as true and real things?

Oh, and if you're going to get all high and mighty about cited sources, please cite something other than a Wikipedia article.

tbh that wiki link is ful of references with regard to the emperor nonsence

It's also full of passages questioning almost every detail of the story that Grell quoted, though he conveniently left those out.

Im just trying to open up the debate from the other side. The comments from Nuril and others refuse to even acknowledge the possibility of there did or could ever have plausibly existed an Empire besides HRE and ERE in this period and mock any one trying to say different. That link I posted at least demonstrates its not so black and white, and there is a fairly large list if historical docs/sources listed in which Spanish rulers specifically referred to themselves as Emperor.

BTW, getting all high and mighty about cited sources--when all you cited yourself was a Wikipedia article--is completely laughable.

Really? What I find laughable is the cognative dissonance of you guys passionately arguing against the developers decision to include more Empires in their game. I am prepared to be open minded about it. Why do you, Nuril and Co. stoop so low as belittling other posters intelligence, spelling or use of wikipedia just because they dont agree with your narrow 2 Empires only stance?

We're not repeating actual history here, I don't get why some of y'all get so worked up about historical shit. It's just a friggin' game, it's not supposed to be an exact record of actual history, nor should we be railroaded along the lines of actual history. It doesn't matter if the empire of spain or greece or whatever didn't exist in 1066, it's just for fun and to expand the game a bit. We wanted the ability to create empires in-game and we're getting it, I'm quite excited about it to be honest.

I think it's up to developers incude more empires or not. From my personal perspective I dont like empire of rusia, but can accept empire of Spain. Speaking about emperors even Grand Duke of Lithuania Algirdas is refered as Basileus Litvania in some Byzanines documents after he dealt with Golden Horde in 1362 or 63 dont remember exactlty. He freed Kiev form these saveges as reported by Byzantines.

i wish it came out today <.<

Everyone does. even the people who have never heard of crusader kings or computer games, they just don't realise it.

Actually, you're the one telling the rest of us how to play the game, not the other way around. We were playing it as originally designed, until people like you complained until you got your way. Then, somehow we're the "whiny babies".

You do not have to use the feature unless you want to. Wich of course means that you are in fact trying to dictate to people who want this featured added to the game how they sshould play their game, not the other way around.

Also im really thankful that paradox listens to their customers and add things to their games that are in high demand.
And lastly if you read what i wrote before, i never asked for this feature and im probably not going to use it because it does not fit my playstyle. But i still think its totally ok that this feature is added to the game because:
IT DOES NOT AFFECT MY GAMEPLAY BECAUSE I CAN CHOOSE NOT TO USE IT

Anyone know how much this is going to cost?

Like it!

Just regarding culture specific building: are these going to be linked to the culture of provinces rather than the culture of the holder? It is frustrating for all your cultural buildings to disappear just because one of your dynasty is of a different culture to the norm. Plus it seems odd that, for example, English longbowmen should be able to flurish so quickly after an English conquest even in far flung places of the world.

I want to echo this point. It seems weird that you can fill France full of Knight Lists and then the moment a Dutchman accidentally inherits the throne he burns them all down, wasting thousands of gold. Then three days later he's deposed for a Frenchman and you have to start all over from Squire Lists... It really bugs me and I usually avoid culture buildings for this reason too. Too easy to see centuries of investment go up in flames in an instant.