• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(320188)

Gloria in excelsis Deo
16 Badges
May 24, 2011
exposingsingapore.wordpress.com
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • War of the Vikings
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
Wouldn't that constitute a civil war?

What can u do as a king?:unsure:

I put one of the warring regent into a prison and she got replaced with another who disliked me even more and my popularity plunged for imprisoning her.

Revoke titles if you really want to stop it. Costs too much opinion to destroy a really big vassal, but you can destroy a small or mid sized one for a bearable amount. Plus if you're lucky they'll rebel, saving you the opinion penalty and letting you get your armies involved directly.

Assassinate the one, that started the war can also help, depending on what kind of war it is.

BTW: Crown Authority doesn't prevent wars between counts and there dukes. When you're king and one of the counts of one of your dukes has a claim on his duchy, then the count can still start a war against the duke.

The best thing to do is hand out lands in accordance to de jure duchy titles. Your vassals can get claims on each other through other means, but by far most common cause for war between them is having claims on a county belonging to a de jure duchy of one of your vassals.

Actually, it works just fine, just like in the tooltip, it prevents war between YOUR vassals, ie. anyone who has you as a direct liege. Same is true for the vassals of some duke if you are king/queen. What is does NOT prevent are struggles for independence/dispose the liege. So if the vassals of some duke in your kingdom want to replace/dispose their duke, they still can do that.

Medium Crown Authority is suppose to stop inter-realm wars.

However it's FUBAR and doesn't work appropriately.

It works as intended for me. The only time it doesn't work is, when a vassal declares war against his liege and that is perfectly normal and intended. You can always try to gain independence or (if you have a claim on it) the title of your liege, regardless of Crown Authority.

Razalhague said:
It's working exactly as it should. If you don't war count/duke wars, all you gotta do is make sure your dukes don't have counts as vassals.

The problem with this is that there is a loophole/bug in the logic.

A duke can go to war with ANY count he has a claim against, even one that is not a de jure vassal.

IE: The Duke of Lancaster can go to war with the count/bishopric of Durham even though Durham is in the Duchy of Northumberland, and he's a vassal of the duke of Northumberland.

To press that claim he'd have to declare war on the duke of Northumberland, which should be a no-go in the logic for Mid-Crown Authority.

That's an issue you can drive a truck through.

Last edited:
I see thanks guys. Seems little I can do except increasing my crown authority to medium but it wouldn't stop count vs duke war still even count vs duke of another vassal

The best thing to do is hand out lands in accordance to de jure duchy titles. Your vassals can get claims on each other through other means, but by far most common cause for war between them is having claims on a county belonging to a de jure duchy of one of your vassals.

Thanks that may be a golden tips :) Would make sense.

i am glad I found this thread, here I thought it crown authority was broken also. Now I see it works as it was designed, but as other's have said, there is bad logic.
I was playing a game as Ruler of all spain, and had 7 kindgoms as vassals. (using prince and thane mod), and was seeing huge wars breaking out constantly, even under medium crown law.

The problem is that in a land like that, all the kings families and dukes were all intermarrying. So when one duke or count went to war, they would all call allies, and the next thing you know I see basically the entire kindgom at war with each other. I remember one count, of viscaya, declaring war on his duke, and they both called allies, and the next thing you know, the king of portugal is fighting the king of Andalucia.

I think it should be fixed, it doesnt make sense that an emperor or King would allow his kingdom to basically erupt into civil war, and say "well theres nothing i can do about it, they are not my direct vassals". No wars, should mean no wars, period.

There should not be any option that prevents a war of independence, that would be far too over-powered (and totally unrealistic).

In the dark ages inter-realm (and even inter-family) wars were often far more common than wars between nations anyway.

There should not be any option that prevents a war of independence, that would be far too over-powered (and totally unrealistic).

In the dark ages inter-realm (and even inter-family) wars were often far more common than wars between nations anyway.

The unrealistic thing is that your kingdom is more or less in a civil war, and there is nothing you can do about it.

In CK1 you could declare war on your liege, or another vassal in the kindgom, but the king / duke or whoever had control of the realm would also come to their defense. IMO that makes more sense. If I as king / emperor give out a duchy or county to a vassal, and then a few years later another count / duke decides he should get that county, do you not think the King / emperor would be upset? They should also get a choice to get involved or not.

The unrealistic thing is that your kingdom is more or less in a civil war, and there is nothing you can do about it.

In CK1 you could declare war on your liege, or another vassal in the kindgom, but the king / duke or whoever had control of the realm would also come to their defense. IMO that makes more sense. If I as king / emperor give out a duchy or county to a vassal, and then a few years later another count / duke decides he should get that county, do you not think the King / emperor would be upset? They should also get a choice to get involved or not.

Yeah this

A duke can go to war with ANY count he has a claim against, even one that is not a de jure vassal.

IE: The Duke of Lancaster can go to war with the count/bishopric of Durham even though Durham is in the Duchy of Northumberland, and he's a vassal of the duke of Northumberland.

I just tried to replicate this but couldn't, so I'm going to have to say "pics or it didn't happen". A save would be fine too, maybe even better.

I just tried to replicate this but couldn't, so I'm going to have to say "pics or it didn't happen". A save would be fine too, maybe even better.

I don't have that save anymore, but It took no more then a month after my latest save to give you one better. I give you Duke on Duke hawtness. Mid-Crown Authority is not working as WAD. It's just not working.

CK-DukeonDukeWar.jpg

Remember that the AI is plotting and scheming to gain power even under your rule. They aren't just mindless vassals that are on standby waiting for you orders.

Or you could just do what I do and make your primary heir the title holder to ALL your non-demesne holdings. It's nice having him already have 10k prestige when you die ;)