• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

byzantium43

Major
11 Badges
Feb 1, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Is there any chance of making Brigades the smallest unit like in HOI3.
One of my biggest annoyances with Victoria (I know its a pretty lame grievance)
was that divisions was the smallest unit. I just felt so wrong garrisoning Canada or Hong Kong with 10,000 men.

was that divisions was the smallest unit. I just felt so wrong garrisoning Canada or Hong Kong with 10,000 men.

Not a bad idea. Then we could have a brigade of loyal attached to a division of cheaper but less reliable colonial troops.

The ability to easily group and ungroup brigades should alleviate the problem of controlling too much units. The brigades in divisions part of HOI3 is actually one of the parts that actually work well so even if they take that it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Single-brigade divisions should be easier to make though as that's likely the size used for garrisoning islands.

You can't create single-brigade divisions in HOI3, or I've really missed something somewhere. I thought you had to have a minimum of 5,000 men to make a division, which means you are required to place at least two brigades to create a division.

I would really hope the same requirement would be in Vicky 2, because no, I don't want to handle hundreds of single brigades in either game.

Right?

I would love to see Vicky2 incorporate the custom divisions from HOI3. That is one of the truly great improvements in that game, and really gives you a sense of ownership of your forces.

RELee I do think you're right the the 2 brigade per division limit should be kept from a gameplay standpoint, although I admit that a small part of me would love brigade level units in and of themselves. Think about the Crimean War - how else could you have something like the Charge of the Light Brigade (where the generals in command of Light and Heavy Cavalry brigades of the Cavalary division operated totally seperately)?

You can't create single-brigade divisions in HOI3, or I've really missed something somewhere. I thought you had to have a minimum of 5,000 men to make a division, which means you are required to place at least two brigades to create a division.

It is possible by making a 3+ brigade division then removing any but the first or second brigade and the individual brigades can be used on the map. IIRC during production individual brigades can be created but not deployed unless combined.

In HOI3 you can detach brigades from divisions once they are created, to make a single brigade division.

Well In large wars you could group 3~5 brigades into a division. but for small colonial wars and garrisoning the far reaches of the empire 3,000 or several groups of 3,000 is far more realistic and I think more fun to use than Divisions or multiple divisions.

Especially if there are going to be a lot more provinces. One division won't be able to cover enough land and having 4 or 5 divisions conquering small African nations seems kind of...boring. (I know it did happen...Egypt, Sudan, Oranje, Transvaal)

In Vicky 1 I just had a super stack of 8 divisions that could do everything. I'd also want to see negatives from deploying too many troops abroad, represented in the political spectrum, and pops- consciousness and militancy.

And really, there should be a mechanic to prevent you or the AI from marching 200,000 men through west Africa without most of them dropping dead from 'attrition'. Even in friendly territory.

Last edited:
I think that feature is perfect for HOI but might be tad too much for Vicky.

Better solution might be adding garrison type unit, 1000 in size that you could build just for that purpose.

Although even that would help only for reducing revolt risk... In a case of war that unit would be helpless if AI invades with 2 divisions...

I don't mind improving military part of the game but let's remember that military aspect is only one of the multitude of aspects in Vicky, contrary to HOI where it is the only one practically.

I would love to see Vicky2 incorporate the custom divisions from HOI3
No, just no. Vicky is not a wargame and should not be burdened with the features of one. There's no need for anything more advanced than the regimental system from the original Vicky or EUIII

FmrPFCBob said:
How about the reserve units mechanic of HoI3? They are understrength (limited by your nations stance) divisions until mobilized
I definitely think that mobilisation has to be considerably reworked but it should remain fairly abstracted in my opinion

In HOI3 you can detach brigades from divisions once they are created, to make a single brigade division.

Ah! An exploit! Should have known there would be one or two already found.:)

RELee: :rofl:

And ComradeOm: I can see where you are coming from. The strength of Vicky (to me) has always been that it is PI's strongest economic game, making you think in totally different ways from the others. That being the case, however, Vicky2 is also the perfect place to model the economic impact not just of war, but also of militaries in general.

By customizing the builds of divisions, Vicky could certainly make them more painful than HOI3 does and force the player to take in to account the economic tradeoffs. Vicky1 led the way with the goods needed to develop regiments, and I love the thought of Vicky2 expanding on that.

Couldn't agree with you more! I usually just leave many areas of my empire without any army at all, because I just can't stand putting 10,000 men in Hong Kong, or Bermuda, or Gao, etc.

As long as your single brigade has 3000 men it can exist on its own (in HoI).

I kind of like the fact that you do not have tens of thousands of small units swarming your country in Vicky.

It would be cool if during peacetime you could split divisions into brigades and deploy them on their own (but just deploy, not give them any tasks) and if you mobilize all these brigades would march into the capital of their state (state as in Vicky I) and automatically form their division.

I don't think it can be classed as an exploit, as it's WAD. Also I've just discovered a away to build single brigades, all you have to do is click on the button, bellow the division button on the production screen.

Given how complex the game already is, I really to not think that they need to add an entire new layer of management to the game. Unlike HOI, although wars are featured, the game does not revolve around your ability to smash your neighbors to bits and should be focused too much on the military.