• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nope actualy you can reelect him only one time i think...
Nope, you can re-elect somebody for as many terms as you want. Three, four, five, doesn't matter. Although with five-term leaders who rule until death, you are basically a monarchy anyway...

I was never able to have elected ruler for longer than 8 years... or maybe i am wrong?

I've had four term rulers before, but perhaps the system is different for different sorts of republic.

I think there was a hidden rule where you could not elect someone twice continuisly after that ruler won the first election, but as an administrative republic I did manage to elect a 9/9/9 ruler for 16 years, hehe.

You are, this system would only make sense for the US and even for them it would be doubtful, no Idea when they actually included it in the constitution but Gerogie could certainly have gone on...

The U.S. didn't pass a two term limit until after FDR won 4 times so well after the time span of the game and monarchy in my opinion is the best due to PUs

Its for life, so same thing as Monacy, just cant inheriet, but form RM.. No Legemicy thou. like BAD and BAD from both, unlike IRL where is was GREAT.

I don't understand, noble republic are great. Yes you haven't legitimacy, but you have election and you can PU without problem. Personally, I go with the roleplay, I choose the system which fits the best with my country

I can say with 100% certainty that you can elect a ruler over and over until he dies. There are no term limits in EU3 DW. Maybe those who are saying otherwise have just had bad luck with their best republican leaders.

There was also a tread on this a couple of weeks back. I believe the conclusion was that if a republic and a monarchy both have rulers with the same stats, the monarchy will be better. However, if those stats aren't good, you can ditch the guy if you're a republic and get a new one elected after four years, whereas you can be stuck with the same king for decades. Also, a 3/3/3 ruler isn't possible for a republic, monarchies get PU's, republics don't get regencies.

Sometimes I switch to a republic if my monarchy is doing badly, with low legitimacy, or an incredibly bad heir, with an old king.

Sometimes I also switch several times during my games. I know it's not ideal, but it works for me.

The main bonus of monarchies(IMO) is the Imperialism casus beli which only 2 republics get Republican Dictatorship is one of them but it doesn't get elections and Rev.Republic but it's hard to get a Rev.Republic but if you do I suggest to not switch from it because Imperialism CB+Elections+0.6 boost to morale=Epic

The main bonus of monarchies(IMO) is the Imperialism casus beli which only 2 republics get Republican Dictatorship is one of them but it doesn't get elections and Rev.Republic but it's hard to get a Rev.Republic but if you do I suggest to not switch from it because Imperialism CB+Elections+0.6 boost to morale=Epic

Imperialism is worthless that late in the game, where you have Revolution and Counter Revolution, annexation for 1 infamy per province, HELL YEA

How do you get revolutionary governments anyway?

There was also a tread on this a couple of weeks back. I believe the conclusion was that if a republic and a monarchy both have rulers with the same stats, the monarchy will be better. However, if those stats aren't good, you can ditch the guy if you're a republic and get a new one elected after four years, whereas you can be stuck with the same king for decades. Also, a 3/3/3 ruler isn't possible for a republic, monarchies get PU's, republics don't get regencies.

They may say you can't get a 3/3/3 ruler in a republic but i have done it and it really sucked for those eight years and i was baffled because i thought you couldn't do it

Bureaucratic despotism IS a republic , where your ruler get 'elected' for life so you'll have to choose only once.
but it's pretty lousy compared to constitutionnal anyway.

How do you get revolutionary governments anyway?
To become the revolution target and adopt a revolutionary republic government, you need an event to fire which requires you to have your capital in Europe, govt. tech 53, 10+ provinces, and the "revolution" flag, and for no current revolution target to exist. Getting the revolution flag requires an event to fire which requires you to be at peace and have a non-constitutional non-revolutionary non-theocratic government, 6+ WE, negative prestige, and 5+ provinces.

To become a revolutionary empire, you have to be a revolutionary republic.

Overall Monarchies are more powerful than Republics - legitimacy provides massive bonuses, and of course PUs if you make use of them. That being said, in certain cases Republic can be tremendously valuable. This is especially true if you need to Westernize: while a monarchy might get lucky and get the right stats on a ruler, there's no guarantee of when or even if that will happen.