• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I am chosen to be Fernandez's successor, I will make it my goal to swiftly and brutally crush the resurgent Germanist threat.

"Germanist" threat? What is this new term that I myself have never heard of? I have heard of a "Germán", but a "German" is a man from Germany. Therefore, I do not see how you can even make it past the finish line if you are so unable to define what you are up against. Also, you shall find your efforts to come out as swift as it is for a germ to crush a mountain.
You will never manage the steep task of bringing me in to your gaols. The Mountains of Madness do not lie in the Andes, Sáez, so I suggest you move somewhere else. Your statement does not score many points of sensibility with me I must say, nor any other man not fruitlessly searching for nonexistent congregations of crab-people.

Also, I shun your teutonic means. They are quite simply medieval and not fit for this era of enlightenment. Or do you mayhap live in an unlighted basement?

- Mantiago Retruécano

Last edited:
Well, since it is apparently a major discussion in the mainland administration, we might as well be open about our electoral process. Given that it is a reasonable time for elections, and seeing that de Conti has served the traditional term limit, I will run for the office of President for the Free State. I will seek peace and security for all Chileans, expansion of the navy, and reasonable negotiations with the mainland administration over things of mutual benefit. I propose a legislative veto for my military appointments, should I be elected, until a more suitable (but not as cumbersome and problematic as the CoS system) system can be proposed.

Now who do we have to vote for such things, anyway? :confused: (perhaps a census of Free State citizens should be taken)

((Oh come, it's just accenting! Which most of us never do... :mad: ... But I don't care :D))

It seems more and more likely that my candidate will fail to gain the leadership, and we'll be forced to contend with an even more reactionary candidate.

De Conti, a candidate need not step forward; you have exceeded the term limits mandated by the rules of your claimed "democracy", an antiquated sham made even more laughable by your authoritarian policies. In fact, I don't believe that you have policies, beyond concerning every waking effort and long-winded message to disparaging your opponents who have the good sense to call you on your rampant and obvious self-contradictions.

We must take Panama, and unless another candidate steps forward and promises to follow through with the reclamation of our land, my two votes and I will stay in the race with this issue at our helm. Of course, I encourage voters to consider this among my other sensible platform choices, and to consider the fact that I have been a polarizing and experienced power player in the world of politics, consistently and forever a Nationalista.

Aggressive expansion, at this point, sadly must be considered. We have extended a hand of unification, friendship, and prosperity to the Republicans, obviously in a weak position. They have denied this and called us, in our faces, tyrants. Despite Senor Fernandez's best attempt at unification, he had to settle with a treaty that benefited only the Free State in it's ability to survive as a leech on the body of the Chilean State. There is no denying the part of the Free State's warships in defeating the French, but the latter were already in a severely weakened state; had it come to it, we could have built our own fleet in a time period of just several months and beaten the French ourselves. Panama must be territory of the Chilean State. Martinique can be considered as a holding ground for the Free State, however, if they choose to go peacefully. If they want to stand, fight, and shed the blood of so many more Chileans, then let it be so.

If I do not succeed in becoming Caudillo, I urge the next one to consider the option of open hostilities with the Chilean State. Organize, construct and man a large, powerful navy, and give me and/or General De Porto a sizeable force to reach Panama either through the mainland or overseas.

Again, this is just a suggestion, a proposition. The Republicanos and their Free State in Panama can still unify with the State and be given amnesty.

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

We have been called far, far worse, General Hidalgo, after all the efforts we have rendered the mainland.

For someone so apparently reluctant to resort to force, you have not even thought to approach us in peace.

- President Charles Maximilien de Conti

We have been called far, far worse, General Hidalgo, after all the efforts we have rendered the mainland.

For someone so apparently reluctant to resort to force, you have not even thought to approach us in peace.

- President Charles Maximilien de Conti

If you are speaking of me, Senor de Conti, I have not insulted you, and yet you have insulted me. I have, truth be told, done nothing against you. I was, and still am, an advocate for peaceful expansion and the unification of the Free State and the Chilean State.

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

As am I, General. De Conti chooses to ignore the fact that you and I again and again have advocated for peaceful resolution that is acceptable to all parties, and not merely a delaying tactic. Just the same, he chooses to ignore the fact that his term limit has expired and he has not once won an election for his position. I believe that de Conti wishes merely to win a peace that he has not earned, where he retains power that he does not deserve. And the amusing fact is that we have given him this opportunity by allowing him to flee again, this time to Martinique!

But the sickening and sad chapter of de Conti's rule will soon come to an end. He has spent his entire term infuriating true Chileans and fending off rightful attacks on his unprincipled and immature person. He may respond with as many thick, boring and uninteresting rants about how he magically caused the revolution from which he fled and provided no aid, and against which he agitates. He can claim that the Free State rendered services to us, but the true and irrefutable documented fact is that he chose to remain neutral until Panama was threatened. He may call me Senor de "Escovanitas", whilst he refers to me as the infantile one; after all is said and done, he will be strung up like any other traitor or flee with his tail between his legs.

The more important fact is that Panama will be returned, as it must be; we cannot sit idly as our constituents are strangled by the grip of a French tyrant. Those who support him have in recent days seen his true character revealed; now, we all have no choice but to pursue liberty for our people.

Candidate Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo,
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Oh, how horrible of us to make you join a political party! Oh, how horribly tyrannical! Surely there is no way on earth anyone could simply join the party and then vote the way they want to! Oh, the humanity of it all!

Since they can simply do that, why did you bother stopping external elections? And if you were a very principled person, opposed to the principles of Frente Nacional (or El Caudillo), then I imagine they would not join. So anyone can vote, so long as they don't particularly dislike you. Finally, how can elections be free and fair when some get more votes than others?

Reporting in from somewhere in Chile, General Rios surveys Chile from up high and is displeased what he sees. In the distance the cesspit that is Santiago, filled with facists who think they are free when they are anything but. Beyond his view, far to the north is the Chilean Free State, a contradiction if he ever heard one. A banana republic ruled by a fruit salad. He shakes his head as he considers the resitance, the FNT who would rather remain on the sidelines moaning but never doing and these new anarchists. Rios wonders what will happen and what course he should take in this new Chile.

General Chile
Chief of Staff
Commanding General
Ruler of where he Stands.

Yeah, the one who planned to betray the Republic himself and install his own Tyranny have problems finding friends in the Resistance. What a shocker!!!!

Yeah, the one who planned to betray the Republic himself and install his own Tyranny have problems finding friends in the Resistance. What a shocker!!!!

What resistance? Ohm ohm. That's how much resistance. I am not looking for friends for I have befriended myself. And what a good friend I am. Well just the other day when visiting Santiago i asked myself for directions. Was I annoyed no I helped myself like any friend would do. Speaking of friends though there is a thin line between being a good friend and a good fiend.

Does this mean I am not invited to the next resistance wine and cheese evening. I had heard the last one was amazing with cheeses from Europe and some local wine. Oh dear. It looks like I will be dining alone again.

Last edited:
What resistance? Ohm ohm. That's how much resistance. I am not looking for friends for I have befriended myself. And what a good friend I am. Well just the other day when visiting Santiago i asked myself for directions. Was I annoyed no I helped myself like any friend would do. Speaking of friends though there is a thin line between being a good friend and a good fiend.

Sir? Have you gone mental? That would be an unfortunate but not unexpected happening. Fortunately, I do not think it is because you have eaten bananas from the Flea State, as trying to resist their County venom is a fruitless endeavour without any future.

As for the resistance, while I myself am not entirely sure, I do think that we have enough resistors to cut off the current government's somewhat fruitless attempts at ketching us. They might as well be throwing tomatoes at a wall, and seeing what sticks and what doesn't. As if that isn't an already pine-fully slow process.

I do not know if this statement of the truth will induce the current government to give up their directionless efforts at capturing us, but in the field their success has current-ly been limited. If eliciting any results at all that is.

- Mantiago Retruécano

With an hour left, the race is actually extremely close.

Caudillo:
Sebastian Hidalgo ((MastahCheef117)): 7
Mateo Sáez ((Seek75)): 8

Strategic Redeployment Act:
Yes: 22
No:
Abstain:

At this point, due to General Hidalgo's declared committal to the return of Panama, I will withdraw from the race and support him.

He will lead us into a new era, and I hope to aid him along the way.

Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo,
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Last edited:
The 1906 Caudillo Election: The New Extreme​

In 1906, flush from a fresh "victory" over France and the annexation of Argentina, the Executive Committee of the Frente Nacional met in Santiago in particularly high spirits. The distinguished delegates to the convention were all well aware that Caudillo Fernandez, after the better part of a decade in power, would stand aside. The run-up to the convention was a flurry of backroom deals, lobbying, speeches, and promises by the few political and military elites who had put themselves forward as candidates to succeed Fernandez. The frontrunner was Mateo Sáez, the successor favored by Caudillo Fernandez and known for his service as the Minister of Defense. However, his appointment as the next Caudillo was far from certain. Many members of the Frente Nacional were suspicious of Sáez's fierce secular attitudes and pointed to his lack of accomplishments. The military establishment heavily rallied around Sebastian Hidalgo, a hero of the revolution and Argentina, whose laissez-faire attitudes, unquestionable military record, and moralistic stances made him acceptable to both wings of the party. Hidalgo and Sáez quickly emerged as the frontrunners over dark horse Severiano Miramontes and newcomer Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo, who were eliminated from the race after several ballots.

Hidalgo and Sáez were locked in stalemate through four ballots. Hidalgo, though he had the confidence of both the jingoistic right and the laissez-faire left, had discovered that the influence of outgoing Caudillo Fernandez was proving very difficult to overcome. Sáez, on the other hand, had exhausted his narrow stocks of support in forcing a tie, and believed that not a single delegate more would be willing to offer him their backing. After more than a day of stalemate, the Executive Committee broke for an evening recess. That evening, the influential General Christiano Ferarri and Caudillo Fernandez spoke with several of the military delegates on Sáez's behalf, hoping to make further inroads into Hidalgo's military support. A fifth ballot the following day gave Sáez a narrow advantage over Hidalgo and ultimately allowed him to secure the office of Caudillo.

The business of the Frente Nacional had not ended with the appointment of a Caudillo, however. In addition to issuing new appointments for the Congreso (which quickly passed the Strategic Redeployment Act unanimously, a bill specifying new military positioning and organization), the Executive Committee gave thought to the speech of the outgoing Fernandez and his idea of a "Third Way." The Frente, after many cries of support for the idea, gave its support to the notion of a "National Republic, founded on the strength of the Chilean people and culture with the full power and confidence of the nation vested in the Caudillo." Historians many years later would mark this announcement as a turning point for Chile, towards the doctrines of increased militarism, radical nationalism, authoritarianism, and expansionism with the intent of proving the superiority of the Chilean state. This dangerous new shift was later regarded as a fundamental change in government: from mere autocracy to fascism.

Sáez took control of Chile with a spate of problems: shaky and waivering relations between the National Republic and the stubborn Chilean Free State, booming post-war unemployment in the north and mid-east, and a world increasingly suspicious of growing Chilean militant radicalism. But, as Sáez said in his victory speech, a strong Caudillo with a strong Chile behind him should be able to face anything.

Meanwhile, the eyes of the Frente Nacional, always hungry, had now turned to the humble Republic of Bolivia, just north of Chile's borders. A client state of Chile for now more than 40 years, Bolivia was home to an increasingly large Chilean population and its government still essentially took its cues from Santiago. The time had come, many had said, to seize the Bolivian state once and for all.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
Alright, Sáez ((Seek75)), I need your appointments. We can still currently recruit about 300 brigades, by the way, and recall that if you would have to appoint more than ten generals you can now give them command of up to two armies (of 20 brigades each, according to the Strategic Redeployment Act).

Also, I'm going to hold a snap vote on the Political Crisis in Bolivia. If passed, this initiative will have the secret police foment a political crisis in our client Republic that will permit its annexation. However, this measure will cause alarm locally and break our sphere (a good thing or a bad thing - you decide, keeping in mind that you can't declare war on sphered countries).

So vote:
Political Crisis in Bolivia: Yes/No

After viewing the results of the election, I congratulate Caudillo Saez on his victory. I believe that now is the time to settle the lawful return of Panama, and solve our current internal economic problems by constructing factories and lowering taxes across the board.

I support a secret police action in Bolivia to eventually unite our two similar people.

I hope that I might in some way qualify to support these changes alongside Caudillo Saez, and I cite my experience as Minister of Foreign Affairs as a possible route for employment. Nonetheless, I respect and congratulate you, Caudillo, on your lawful victory to enact the continuation of our glorious Nationalista saga.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

Why would we want Bolivia? This is once again another sign of lunacy from the so called government. Bolivians are Bolivians and Chileans are Chileans. They claim to defend Chilean culture, while they actually diminishes it through annexing other nations. If Bolivians are Chileans, what would it mean to be Chilean anymore?