• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
could someone please for the love of all that is holy post a freaking guide on how to develop a damn tank using this tech tree?

I am all in favor of adding more detail to a game, but it has to add and not detract value.. and so far this sucker detracts more then it adds because you can't tell how the hell to get from point A to point B.

really too hard to load up "Tecnoflechas.exe", click on the tech you want to research (e.g. 20mm light tank), click "view details" to get the direct requirements for it (here 12.7mm armor and refined fuel) then click on those to see their requirements, rinse and repeat until you have all necessary techs??

So, i have played many many hours with the mod and here is my opinion after the uninstall:
- the techtree is awesome, but the dependence on the industry techs is annoying
- the number of events is the biggest (dis)advantage of the mod. Many many possibilities to advance your position, and to destroy it. I don't know what was the problem, but in the 34 scenario the end of Czechslovakia, Sudetaland, Anschluss weren't fired. Also in the help to Nationalist Spain event i was confused of what to do.
if you dont like how the ai decides on an event simple reload from save game before the specific event should work,
there's is always a small chance the ai choose some ahistorical path.
SCW events are like the plain vanilla ones, democratic countries won't help, GER ITA SOV block help too but send help in secret anyway, from time to time SOV openly helps (they're the international pariah state anyway..)

- this Standard country is very annoying.....
- black letters on grey background?
- short and annoying music
taste comes in different flavours
mods don't depend on music to be playable or superior to simple plain vanilly hoi. choose your own music and enjoy your game.

- the A.I. is bad, too agressive. I played as Hungary and attacked Yugoslavia. 1: Romania attacked me 2: Austria declared war upon Yugoslavia and Romania 3: The Allies declared war upon Austria 4: Romania declared war upon the Allies 5: Greece declared war upon the Allies WTF??? Because of they guarantee each others independence they need to start the WW? Also Germany declared war upon USSR when there were 6(!) divisions in the border
and his units weren't in way to east...
So it is a good mod, but there should be 1.1 version...

NOT a problem of mod34 per se.
Play ahistorical and you get those all-out wars wether it is vanilla hoi, this or any other mod.
try to stick in the historical framework until ww2 offically starts (case white) or face the consequences gameplay wise, simple as that.

The annexation and release of 'Standard' is required by the nature of the mod34 tech tree (adding bonuses to unit stats instead of just activating new models like vanilla HoI2/Arma). Unit stats don't get updated with new techs until that event happens.

Actually?

Yeah it is a fault in the AI and those that designed it.

Most of the major nations prior to WW2 were doing their level best to AVOID going to war.. not all mind you; but most. So in the case of an ahistoric war between Hungary and Yugoslavia the least likely outcome would be a general outbreak of war as no one..NO ONE not even the hankering for a fight countries would want to intervene.

Britain was essentially bankrupt having as I recall roughly 300 million pounds on hand in cash reserves, enough to keep the civilian economy from totally turning turtle but not enough to keep the whole nation from doing the same thing in case of war.. France was in about the same shape.. Germany would find it not convenient to it's time table plus they could use it to try and look respectable by pushing for peace along with the other powers.. Heck the only nation that might, MIGHT intervene would be the Russians.

The AI needs to be a coward, a craven one at that, prior to the Polish crisis and just a plain old coward until after the fall of Poland when it comes to all but Germany and Italy since everyone else was nearly totally risk averse in the time frame. Italy is only included in the not so risk averse camp because of Ethiopia, doesn't mean that she was a much of a gambler as Germany was in the pre-war period, just more of one then France et al.

Also there needs to be some "B" choices in some events so the player can make choices other then the historic.. because if you can't then you really aren't playing the game but just keeping watch on the auto pilot, and will have to make the same bone headed mistakes prior to the war and during it that the original made.

Other then that?

The mod is pretty great all in all... the whole way of dealing with the Sino-German cooperation is brilliant and generally highlights the vapid stupidity of the German leadership in ending it... if maintained it puts Britain, Germany and the US all on the same "side" so to speak in terms of China policy, something that would bear sweet fruit for Germany if it had come to pass.

Last edited:
The annexation and release of 'Standard' is required by the nature of the mod34 tech tree (adding bonuses to unit stats instead of just activating new models like vanilla HoI2/Arma). Unit stats don't get updated with new techs until that event happens.

So... you guys use an event where a fictional country breaks free of another fictional country and then annexes it before augmentations of unit statistics can happen? That seems mildly odd since the vanilla game permits such augmentations without any special codes.

@ bobtdwarf:

I hear you.
Still it's not a fault of mod34 or any other one per se but how paradox implemented this in vanilla hoi2. in context of this framework the modders pushed the engine beyond its original limits.
Just look at hoi3, even there the game setup is only a fraction of what I would call a realistic ww2 setting.

@ bobtdwarf:

I hear you.
Still it's not a fault of mod34 or any other one per se but how paradox implemented this in vanilla hoi2. in context of this framework the modders pushed the engine beyond its original limits.
Just look at hoi3, even there the game setup is only a fraction of what I would call a realistic ww2 setting.

There are compromises that have to made in any simulation, and that is more akin to what Paradox is going after; a sim. I would think that since HOI is a variant of the EU engine that some success could be had in tweaking the AI to be more cowardly.. the EU modders have had some good results in that regard.

And I missed this response from you earlier: ""Tecnoflechas.exe".... that doesn't work on my machine since I don't use a PC, so yes it is a major problem firing that up to find out what I need to do to build a tank with more then a pop gun on it. Also on a related note... the naval tech tree needs a sizable reworking.

If you can build a 35,000 ton BB you can by virtue of using less armor in the belt build a 35,000 ton BC or CV... I have had a devil of a time getting anywhere near the IRL tech level of Germany vis a vis ship building pre war owing greatly to the fact that you have to devote so many tech teams to getting naval stuff done.

So... you guys use an event where a fictional country breaks free of another fictional country and then annexes it before augmentations of unit statistics can happen? That seems mildly odd since the vanilla game permits such augmentations without any special codes.

No, it doesn't.

It doesn't happen in vanilla because there are no such techs in vanilla. As I said, in vanilla all the techs do is unlock new unit models. The commands to upgrade unit stats only exist because they were used extensively in the HoI1 tech tree and the developers apparently decided not to just remove them for HoI2 even though they weren't used.

It doesn't happen in vanilla because there are no such techs in vanilla. As I said, in vanilla all the techs do is unlock new unit models. The commands to upgrade unit stats only exist because they were used extensively in the HoI1 tech tree and the developers apparently decided not to just remove them for HoI2 even though they weren't used.

Then it is a brilliant idea! As we say it in Hungary: I doff my hat before you:cool:

Is there any way to reset the Expeditionary Troops events? I hadn't realized it was seperate from the diplomatic option, so now that I actually need some I thought I could just hit the diplo option and my puppets would send them coming as usual. Turns out that isn't happening, which I'm assuming is because of my choice to not have them with the event.

Unwanted Allies

I have a bit of a problem. It's October 1942 - the Bitter Peace fired (I'm Germany), and I immediately fought my way through Iraq to the Middle east and took the Suez canal. When that happened, the Spanish allied with me - very nice, I thought, here goes Gibraltar. But then the Italians allied with me also - and they're at war with the USSR independently, have been for years. So I'm dragged back into war with the Soviets weeks after winning the Bitter Peace - I've negligible garrisons in the east, and am basically going to have to do Barbarossa all over again, except with massive commitments in the Med as well.
Basically, I'm beat. I don't want to be allied with Italy, but I have no option of refusing them, nor can I ban them from the alliance afterwards. Is there some file I can edit to stop this happening? Because otherwise, it's game over I'm afraid.
Great Mod, btw - the tech tree floored me for a while but I'm getting the hang of it.
(If I had one slight complaint it would be that I wish you could leave the SS units where they were when you upgrade them to PzGrenadier etc - they get sent to Berlin, leaving nasty gaps in my OOB.)
Still and all, could be the best Mod out there - if only I could get rid of the bloody Italians!:rolleyes:

I have a bit of a problem. It's October 1942 - the Bitter Peace fired (I'm Germany), and I immediately fought my way through Iraq to the Middle east and took the Suez canal. When that happened, the Spanish allied with me - very nice, I thought, here goes Gibraltar. But then the Italians allied with me also - and they're at war with the USSR independently, have been for years. So I'm dragged back into war with the Soviets weeks after winning the Bitter Peace - I've negligible garrisons in the east, and am basically going to have to do Barbarossa all over again, except with massive commitments in the Med as well.
Basically, I'm beat. I don't want to be allied with Italy, but I have no option of refusing them, nor can I ban them from the alliance afterwards. Is there some file I can edit to stop this happening? Because otherwise, it's game over I'm afraid.
Great Mod, btw - the tech tree floored me for a while but I'm getting the hang of it.
(If I had one slight complaint it would be that I wish you could leave the SS units where they were when you upgrade them to PzGrenadier etc - they get sent to Berlin, leaving nasty gaps in my OOB.)
Still and all, could be the best Mod out there - if only I could get rid of the bloody Italians!:rolleyes:

Use the AcceptAll command to force a peace with the Soviet Union.

If you're not familiar with the cheats, press F12 to bring up the console, then type "acceptall", hit enter, then hit F12 again to close the console (I usually have to move the mouse for the window to close). This will give you a 100% success rate for any diplomatic or intelligence mission. Then just sue for peace with the SU. You can open the console back up and run the command again to cancel the commands effects (the peace will stay).

Does 1.00 mean we roll back to 0.1? :(

How's the English translation, better?

Alexus: v 1.00 is usually the last version of anything. I prefer it to be a sad beginning. :D

Gemeni: Just make a copy of your "Doomsday" folder. Rename "Doomsday - copy" to Mod 34. Than run the installer.

I got Mine from Steam...damn...

Should be able to just extra Mod34 to your Hearts of Iron directory and have it overwrite everything directly then. The only problem is if you wanted to play something else besides Mod34, you'd have to uninstall your HoI through steam and then re-install/download it.