• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(143579)

Corporal
Jun 9, 2009
This is going to be such a great game its just going to blow that by the time we get all our ships we want and our routes set and get ready to actually enjoy the fruit of our hardwork the game will end in 5 turns or 5 years.....really whats the point of having "the greatest trading company in the game" if it ends at a certain date?:eek: Now I love campaign games but for a game like this and the type of gameplay it uses sandbox mode should be a given.......someone dropped the ball on this one. Agree with it or not sandbox mode should have "AT LEAST" been an option for this title.

Last edited:
really whats the point of having "the greatest trading company in the game" if it ends at a certain date?

The satisfaction that you (hopefully) won the game and a new entry in the Top10-List. By the way, will the SP-Games be ranked (you know, as in Pirates) ?

But the idea to include a sandbox game isn`t bad. Although I wouldn`t start one due to boredom-issues in the long term.

Most historical RTS games run between specific start and end dates and explore a certain window in time for political, geographical or technological reasons. There's no point in running EIC beyond about 1800 since the global trading and colonial pattern after than undergoes changes that take the East India Companies beyond the game boundaries, so it would be ahistorical and therefore rather pointless.

Sigh..."Di" let me slow this down so that maybe just maybe you may understand something about designing not just a game but a game that not only has replay value but drives the user to keep playing this game for long periods of time. If you think about games like this that have a "Certain end date" then what truly is the point of playing it in the first place if all your hard work of becoming the best Trading Company in the game ends in the next few years...think about it. Im not saying that this game is going to blow because it doesnt include sandbox mode BUT its going to really be a downer when you know you only have 3 years left to play with your company. The devs like to leave a lasting image of their product so that we may remember how many hours we put into the first game so that when the second game comes out we make the purchase......its called "Consumer Market Eco.". O and the reason why your buying this game is because of the ties it has to this certain "timeline" so why not have this timeline extended to the 1900's or even 2000's who knows .....it should be up to the consumer when and where he wishes to stop playing. I really do not see how one can make an agrument against a sandbox mode really the reason you gave well it was a very weak one at best. We buy these types of games to lose ourselves in and if your a true gamer you would carry all the "historical ties" to this game well into the 1900's and 2000's. Why not have it open ended? There is no reason not to have this option .....period really. Try not to think so much in the "box" and think outside the box it could really help you in anything you put your mind into just a helpful friendly tip for you"d" no hard feelings but im sure the devs what to be ahead of the pack not in the crowd! :)

Last edited:
...then what truly is the point of playing it in the first place if all your hard work of becoming the best Trading Company in the game ends in the next few years...

On the other hand: What is the point in playing the same game endlessly, accumulating billions and building hundreds of ships, if there is no "goal" ? As far as I`m concerned that would be boring. No motivation. If there is a deadline, I have to build up my company faster / more effective than the other guys. Yes, competition, RAWR !

I don`t say, that there should be no sandbox mode. But I want a campaign with a deadline and several goals I have to achieve in the first place (and it would be great, if I could choose some).

On the other hand: What is the point in playing the same game endlessly, accumulating billions and building hundreds of ships, if there is no "goal" ? As far as I`m concerned that would be boring. No motivation. If there is a deadline, I have to build up my company faster / more effective than the other guys. Yes, competition, RAWR !

I don`t say, that there should be no sandbox mode. But I want a campaign with a deadline and several goals I have to achieve in the first place (and it would be great, if I could choose some).

Very true I am not fighting the cause to change it to a "Complete Sandbox Mode" but I AM arguing that the option to AT LEAST play a "Sandbox" should be there. You never want to restrict your final product by only doing one type "campaign Mode" but rather cover as many grounds as possiable for more income as a company to have both modes would mean more consumers which would lead to more cash flow which may lead into a EIC 2 with dedicated players from the first EIC to new players it can only help to include a sandbox mode.;) You and I agrue the same point Stuck :) and i think Ginko may agree as well look guys it would be great to just have that option really.

I too wouldn't mind a sand box.. btw the way you replied to Digby was rather rude and childlike xu... so i you lost alot of respect out of that.

Digby was right about HISTORICAL GAMES, being confined to a timeline. It would be rediculous having a historical game where you make historical advances, and have an end date that goes past the time period ? 200 years of advancement then nothing for everything beyond?

A sandbox mode is always fun, It would be nice to take your empire further or play around with your fleets. BUT it wouldn't make replay more fun, because lets face it you have an infinite amount of time to accomplish whatever, and what do you do when you control all of east indies ? Also if i can remind you sir, that they did say that it won't be a simple step of saving a ton of money and building a huge fleet, there are costs to growing too fat.

I wouldn't mind one, but the style of game they made there isn't any real BONUS, with sandbox i feel. I feel no loss for not having it in there, and i do understand economics i've done my uni courses too. They can always add Sandbox mode in a patch or somebody can even mod it in, they did give us that remember, and that is one of the biggest replay values for this gaming community.

Sanbox or no sanbox, first we should play the game, see how it works, how long it takes for us to build a HUGE navy. WE just gotta trust the designers, and hope they will make the best choices. And Im positive, after having played the game we still think we need a sanbox mode, we WILL complain, and those guys over Nitro will be jumping all over the place to make a sanbox mode for us. :)

"Nod" you very much contradict your whole agrument?! Again ill slow it down for you as well. There is absolutely NO REASON why you would not at the very least include a sandbox mode into the final end product. I to my friend have a BA in both macro and micro eco. and a masters in advertisement so looks like we may discuss this topic very much peacefully and intellectual. You state that they could simply fix this by making a patch for it but my question is why not get it right the first time my friend....? If you look at other "timeline based" pirate games such as PR 1&2 or even AoP 1&2 you have it open ended. The agruments for not even including a sandbox mode are very weak at best. So far the only reason mentioned is "that it would somehow damage the game and its historical ties if it cont. past 1800"....sorry that just doesnt cut it for me. I am not hear to argue I just want the devs to see that the consumers have spoken and now the ball is in there court so to speak and its up to them what they want to do. Its when people attack where i stand on this topic that I must debate my key points....and honestly there is no reason why you should not AT LEAST have this option. Childish or not im sorry you feel that way but its a forum and one must present the facts because its a devs reputation we are talking about.:D Im not here to start flame wars im only here to show the devs that there are some people that agree that just including a sandbox mode would be GREAT :) ......Mr. Kim did state during an interview with Ahoy that their might just be an option added to the game where it would be open ended :) so im just trying to start a push for it since Mr. Kim stated that the debate was still ongoing thats all but their are only a few people who do not even want to AT LEAST include this option into the game which I just do not understand. Thats all my friend ;).

Last edited:
As of April 07, 2009 here is where the devs stand on "Sandbox Mode"

"Pirates Ahoy!: Playing EIC is actually similar to sandbox or is it more alike to a campaign?

Kim: EIC is campaign driven. The Grand Campaign spans the entire 200 years from 1600 to 1800 but there are also a number of shorter campaigns. Campaigns have specific campaign missions that player must accomplish along the way or else the campaign is failed. These missions include importing large amounts of specific items like tea and spices, but also conquering Indian ports and sinking ships of rival companies.

We have been thinking of making a pure sandbox mode as well, but haven’t really decided on that yet."

...........:(

They "haven't really decided on that yet", so no need to get upset by that. They still might decide to include such a mode.

Which is what i stated in my previous statement :D ......"Mr. Kim did state during an interview with Ahoy that their might just be an option added to the game where it would be open ended so im just trying to start a push for it since Mr. Kim stated that the debate was still ongoing thats all but their are only a few people who do not even want to AT LEAST include this option into the game which I just do not understand. Thats all my friend. "

great to see that eic will be moddable
and if i unnderstand this right then we can make our own campains

- Campaign missions:

o start, warning end years

o rewards

o Texts

o Content: Easy, Medium, Hard

o Users may add more or remove existing ones, game ends when there are no missions left. Game Win = success of the last mission, Game lost = failure of last campaign mission.

so i think we can also mod an endless mission or a long time mission^^

hey, couldnt you create your own sanbox game this way?