• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zlefin

Lord of the Diatribes
23 Badges
Jul 22, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
while present debutante has its uses; alot of the time ai counts seem to use present debutante and marry them, even though the ai at least has count rank, and could easily enough find courtiers with considerably better stats/compatibility. also, the present debutante bases off the local area, which in newly conquered areas is often wrong culture and may be wrong religion too; which is far more trouble than just finding some courtier.
So, while the ai should use it some; it'd be better if it did more finding courtiers and less generating/marrying ones with unimpressive stats.

I think the AI marries random characters if it gets to a certain age and hasn't had any acceptable offers.

I've seen other complaints that it doesn't slowly lower the bar (and accept half way acceptable offers) before marrying a nobody, but the game does need a fallback position like this.

Does anyone use the options to add people to court? If I want extra bodies I just trawl through either the people finder or claimants. That doesn't cost money or prestige.

It does seem that the AI makes a lot of really poor marriage choices (age & skills) but on the other hand sometimes it makes brilliant ones. I suspect the real problem is that it does nothing before 16 and then does some auto-assignment or something at 20.

Most of mine I'll arrange betrothals between 6-16 to try and get those alliances and landed women.

While I see kings and dukes getting married to each other and princesses of various kind, it seems retarded for counts to choose debutantes if they have a cghance for a good marriage with someone from higher up or from good dynasty, or if there are scores of suitable courtiers in the realm.
It should be changed around slightly, because #i'm sick of having my court stuffed full and then some when i get underage counts coming of age.

I use the options when i just conquered a big slice of land (either by crusade or invasion or whatever) and doesn't have enough to fill it out 1 count per country

most often that happens when playing Normandy or Abyssinia (few men) or winning a crusade as a small statelet

wow... since you can autocreate baron levels I don't think I've ever run out of people of the right culture when I've won a crusade (religion isn't generally an issue since most will convert).

AI is quite bad at marrying.
I have LFOE checksum and several of my vassal dukes haven't been married for 4 years already!
The sons of dukes are even worse - it's hard to find unlanded heirs who ARE married.

It appears that there is something irregular about its marriage behaviour.
I've had games/sessions where I am asked a couple of times whether I would let a courtier of mine marry some other ruler and then others where nothing such happens.
The AI should always be using the handy "find bride" function - I've noticed that as soon as my court lacks a young unmarried woman, new one is spawned - that way AI could get free non-dynasty, liege-culture/liege-religion brides from their lieges at least.

Umm for my games, not really i see a lot of great moves uniting duchies under one ruler, their heir. And they usually have a lot of good alliances through marriages.

What pisses me off is when my son, the Count of one region but the heir to AN EMPIRE AND SEVEN KINGDOMS, decides to marry some lowborn harlot with single digit stats. I could understand if she had good stats, but not the crap I've been seeing. This whole function needs tweaking.

That is just one more +1 to intrigue when you get to play him , i don't see it as a problem. Wait i'm not sure you get the stat need to check ^^

What pisses me off is when my son, the Count of one region but the heir to AN EMPIRE AND SEVEN KINGDOMS, decides to marry some lowborn harlot with single digit stats. I could understand if she had good stats, but not the crap I've been seeing. This whole function needs tweaking.

Hey man... maybe your kid just really loved that harlot. I know I don't care what my wife's stewardship stat is. Although she'd definitely be an indulgent wastrel.

I think the AI marries random characters if it gets to a certain age and hasn't had any acceptable offers.

I've seen other complaints that it doesn't slowly lower the bar (and accept half way acceptable offers) before marrying a nobody, but the game does need a fallback position like this.

I also think this is what happens.

It's fine by me. Better than to have the AI wait for a female of appropiate rank, and risk their house dying out.

AI is generally awful at marriage.

In LFOE, for example, Duchess Matilda will REGULAR marry her own courtier. She could force him to matrilineally marry her. Does she? No. What the hell?

Does anyone use the options to add people to court? If I want extra bodies I just trawl through either the people finder or claimants. That doesn't cost money or prestige.

It does seem that the AI makes a lot of really poor marriage choices (age & skills) but on the other hand sometimes it makes brilliant ones. I suspect the real problem is that it does nothing before 16 and then does some auto-assignment or something at 20.

Most of mine I'll arrange betrothals between 6-16 to try and get those alliances and landed women.

While I do bring people from other courts do press claims you risk loosing land thorough their inheritance. Generating your own courtiers is safer and they are also better administraters becauase they are from your same dynasty, culture and religion. Also, if they are not succesful in having heirs you will inherate it back.

Present debutante is a very powerful weapon in a human player's hands, but AI does not use it properly. In practice, the problem is really in the logic AI is using to arrange marriages and that's exactly the reason why it's so powerful tactic for the player. High rank AI characters shouldn't really accept offer to marry a debutante no matter how much they like human character (there might be some exceptions for attractive debutantes or ones with very good stats in situation when AI has no other good options).

I wish my grandsons would marry lowborn harlots - I currently have four grandchildren married to each other (yuk :mad: ).

On the other hand if the AI knew how to choose a soulmate there would be a lot fewer Superbrides and girls with huge... tracts of land available for your dynasty. ;)

Hey man... maybe your kid just really loved that harlot. I know I don't care what my wife's stewardship stat is. Although she'd definitely be an indulgent wastrel.
I don't care about love, dammit! Will love feed and protect my people when the Seljuks come knocking on the door?! No! Will love convince the HRE that we are to powerful to attack? I think not! Love is an emotion royalty cannot afford!

Besides, lowborns won't have huge... tracts of land to inherit. ;)